The Sony PSP ad controversy

So I'm sure you've all heard about the Sony PSP ad controversy by now. If not, here's a quick look at the ad that had a lot of people in an uproar:

Sony PSP White ad - OOOOH SHOCKING!

A lot of people were saying it was racist since it said "white is coming" and features a white person attacking a black person. While I think the ad is definitely a bit odd, I don't think it's racist. I'm sure half of the people who are attacking the ads are Nintendo DS fanboys anyway. I'm a huge DS fan and I don't even really like the PSP, but I just don't think that ad was meant to be racist. Just a little too artsy and stupid, but not racist. Now if they had done something more like this:

White PSP's unite!

Well then people would clearly have something to be worked up about. So what's your take on the whole PSP ad controversy?

(and yes, that one guy is wearing sunglasses because he just thinks he's cooler than the other racists)

Aks (Guest) on 07/07/2006 6:54 pm

I hate the psp. But since its not TRYING to be racist (I hope) Im not going to go against it because of that ad. But I do think its rippin off the DS lite.

Courage the Cowardly Dog (Guest) on 07/07/2006 6:55 pm

I'm a DS fanboy and I just think it's a misunderstanding but you gotta admit it's funny as hell.
Burning a cross on the lawn of the PSP Squirrels just as they are sitting down to a dinner of Fried chicken, watermelon, and grape soda? Telling the dustballs to all pile into one truck and go back to Mexico with George Lopez with them?
What's the next ad?

Alan (Guest) on 07/07/2006 6:58 pm

Publicity stunt plain and simple, done in germany so no one from the US can do anything about it. It's a lame tactic

Skate (Guest) on 07/07/2006 7:50 pm

I doubt it will be as sexy as the DS lite, therefore I don't care.

gordo (Guest) on 07/07/2006 8:41 pm

That IS a KKK member. The KKK has moved into the 21st century, addressed their male homophobic past by now admitting women and created a hot women's uniform (designed by Donatella Versace). The required white hair is a bit over the top though.

Taijoker (Guest) on 07/07/2006 10:25 pm

hey guys, i dunno about the rasicm in the poster, but i know something u guys dont, and that is that the white psp has been out for just as long as the black one, but only in singapore/china kinda places (not japan), and its only just being released now into the western community.

and is that guy with the sunnies doing that 'hommie g' crossed bull horns thing with his hands??, am i the only one that sees that? :P

AIF (Guest) on 07/07/2006 10:29 pm

What. Were. They. Thinking.

(Jackasses...)

Angryhydrlalisk (Guest) on 07/08/2006 6:54 am

Tetris......Teeeeeeeetriiiiiiiiis.

(Off-subject, but the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie is great. Go see it. Or wait for it to come out on DVD. or something.

Ladd (Guest) on 07/08/2006 8:02 am

You have a point. I guess a passel of KKK dudes would have qualified as more rascist than some Dixie Chicks look-alike attacking a Grace Jones look-alike, as it is. Still, it's a pretty tactless ad for selling a stupid handheld console. Moving on... Yes, I'm going to Pirates 2 tonight. If I don't wet myself, I'll be mad.

SunnyD (Guest) on 07/08/2006 9:55 am

i mean, i like the psp AND the ds, but the ad is just plain odd to say the least. i mean, look at her frickin' hair! but is she actually attacking him? doesn't attacking involve more force and blood or bodily injury than holding his face in her hand? no wif she were all snarlign and stuff then yeah. but she jsut looks disgruntled.

but what do i know, im mexican.

Ilya (Guest) on 07/08/2006 10:01 am

i didnt even see the black guy until you pointed it out to me

Skate (Guest) on 07/08/2006 10:14 am

Neither did I, Llya.

Or is it Ilya?

Does it really matter in the long run?

I'll have to ask CrashMan...

Qyzex (Guest) on 07/08/2006 10:44 am

Well, I'd expect albinos to be more upset about this add than any other people, because yet again, it portrays a albino as I villan. When will those albinos ever get a break?! XD

jon (Guest) on 07/08/2006 11:44 am

this reminda me of that scene in blazing saddles where he says "Hey! where all the white women at?" But instead of beating up the klansmen the white woman pops out and says "Im right here BITCH!"

-RoG- (Guest) on 07/08/2006 12:28 pm

Sony also did this one recently, and put the ads around the vatican. (notice how the thorns are in the shape of the PSP buttons)

myollnir (Guest) on 07/08/2006 2:53 pm

Heh, people will get pissed off over anything and everything. I'm sure that other ad with the crown of thorns is gonna make people crap their pants with rage since it's blasphemous heresy. :P

Keith (Guest) on 07/08/2006 5:59 pm

Let us add up the evidence:

Ad is in Germany, which still requires legal enforcement to keep Neo-Nazis out of the public discourse- ignoring those types seems to work well enough in the US
An extremely white, powerful frau grasps a docile, purely black boy- note: in the history of race, this reverses the great white fear: an extremely black, powerful man grasping at our docile, pure white daughters.

Verdict: Is this ad manipulating racial imagery? Absolutely. Does it mean one should be pissed off? No, only that one should be deeply embarrassed that some marketers thought western white males still respond to this (and who knows, maybe they are right)

fiona (Guest) on 07/08/2006 7:03 pm

This was merely a publicity stunt.. it was designed for contrast. It didn't reach the US because Sony knew there would be so much contraversy(sp?. To be honest it looks terrible.. skanger-y and that.. (yes thats an irish term)
But maybe it's also supposed to bite back at the typical steretype that shows white as pure and good, and black as evil and bad.. Considering all that are considered white ahve done maybe white is the new evil? (and that's my two cents)

Ggal(or Marzistar) (Guest) on 07/09/2006 5:42 am

I saw red when I first saw this, but thanks to the report by Tim at ctrl+alt+del.com, I am now ok with it. Click on my name to see the report.

DistantJ (Guest) on 07/09/2006 4:17 pm

There's 3 ads. One with the white girl in all white and the black girl in all black standing together, one with the white girl holding the black girl's face like that, to make out like the white version is better, and one with the black girl pinning the white girl down on the floor, making out that the black version is better.

If anything, these ads are PROMOTING EQUALITY. Showing that the PSP is now available in white and black, but that they're both equally as awesome (at least according to the ads :P)

On top of that, the latter is actually far more violent but nobody complained about that one. It's all fucking dogooders with nothing better to do.

Keith (Guest) on 07/09/2006 6:34 pm

Correction- the ad is in the Netherlands. Is that a black boy? Or a black girl who looks like a boy? I can't tell in the three ads. In any case, the third ad, with the androgenous black menacingly hovering over the defenseless white women is even more ridiculous. A blatant conflation of violence with race and it works precisely because the marketers know a large number of potential Sony customers (and in Europe, mostly male and white) stick their heads in the sand when it comes to race.

jon (Guest) on 07/10/2006 10:30 am

take this you rasist psp whore

protoclown (Guest) on 07/10/2006 6:21 pm

Holy shit, I did a google search of this ad to see what other people were saying about it and I found this fucked up racist website:

Check that shit out, it's fucking unreal. It hurts my brain to read the bullshit of people that stupid.

orange (Guest) on 07/11/2006 10:57 am

the ds is waaaaaaaaaay cooler than that "psp" you speak of. they dont even have creative advertisments. "white is coming". whats so exiting about that? NOTHING, I TELL YOU, NOTHING!

KGB (Guest) on 07/12/2006 3:18 pm

Well, maybe it wasn't TRYING to be racist, but it is.
Just look at the face of that twisted gay afri--
Er, I mean, just look at it. Yep. It's racist.

Crunkman2000 (Guest) on 07/12/2006 4:25 pm

What the fuck is the problem? as DistantJ pointed out:

There’s 3 ads. One with the white girl in all white and the black girl in all black standing together, one with the white girl holding the black girl’s face like that, to make out like the white version is better, and one with the black girl pinning the white girl down on the floor, making out that the black version is better.

If anything, these ads are PROMOTING EQUALITY. Showing that the PSP is now available in white and black, but that they’re both equally as awesome (at least according to the ads )

On top of that, the latter is actually far more violent but nobody complained about that one. It’s all fucking dogooders with nothing better to do.

So why is everyone freaking out over this? PSP sucks anyways.

MrSteveTiC (Guest) on 07/16/2006 6:47 am

Hrmph, Political Cortectness watchdogs once agian at their peak of making mountains over molehills. I don't see anything racist there...then again, I still advocate Bah Bah Blacksheep over Bah Bah Rainbow Sheep and Fairy Penguin over the 'less Gay Community offencive' Little Penguin. Maybe that makes me a racist bigot, or maybe it makes me one of the few sane people left on the planet.

God I hate political Corectness

Ps. Hi RoG

wolf (Guest) on 07/23/2006 9:08 pm

Yo that one with the KKK was funny.

Ggal (Guest) on 07/23/2006 11:00 pm

Sorry, my link dosent work any more.

P.S. wolf, YOU ARE A JERK!!!

nathan (Guest) on 07/24/2006 5:44 am

this is why i love i-mockery no one else but rog could thinkof that :P

site (Guest) on 01/18/2008 9:41 am