golden-globes-canceled-oh-noes

Golden Globes canceled!? Oh noes!!!

Golden Globes Cancelled! Oh no? Yay? Meh?

Recently, one of my coworkers informed me that the Golden Globe awards had been canceled. Obviously I was positively distraught. How, I asked him, will I be able to go about my daily routine knowing that I'm going to miss the Golden Globes this year? He then tried to explain to me that the Golden Globes is a very important event that "affects everyone." I was curious, so I asked how it was going to affect, say, me for example. He backpedaled and explained that he was talking about the entertainment industry, and so I concluded that it has no effect on people outside the industry. Not so, he assured me, and soon, all the people around me were trying to explain just how important both the Golden Globes and the Oscars are to not just the entertainment industry, but the entire world.

Now, it's not unheard of to hear something like this in LA. A lot of people out here are absolutely obsessed with the entertainment industry, and they are unable to even consider the notion of it not being the center of everyone's universe. One of my coworkers even dared to suggest that the Oscars were as important in the Midwest as the Superbowl. I'm from Illinois myself, so I gently explained to him that not all the people in the Midwest consider a self-congratulatory gesture from Hollywood to be as important as any football game, let alone the Superbowl, but he seemed unconvinced.

I wonder, though, how important are the Golden Globes and the Oscars to all of you? For me, they're a blurb on the front page of the Entertainment section of the paper, but some people seem to think they're worth noting. Why, one of my coworkers even said that these events are enjoyed by many people outside of the US (and not just by US citizens abroad, either). Do any of you folk enjoy these events, and if so, do you really watch? Or do you just watch clips of the aftermath on Youtube, because that's not the same. I won't think less of you if you do enjoy them...

Well, ok, I'll think less of you, but I certainly won't say so to your face.

Ryan T. (Guest) on 01/08/2008 1:30 pm

I'm from Kansas.
Let me just say this: SuperBowl >> any awards show.
And I'm a baseball fan much more so than a football fan.

mburbank on 01/08/2008 1:58 pm

I watch the Oscars every year, and every year I find myself wondering why I stayed up to watch the Oscars. While there are usually one or two funny things, the entire affair is pretty tedious. It's been several years since there was any noteworthy bad behavior, which is just about the only thing I'm watching for.

23_ on 01/08/2008 1:59 pm

Uh, who was supposed to be in it?

jinx on 01/08/2008 2:02 pm

But without award shows people won't know what movies are ok to watch! They won't know what actors are worthy of our praise and worship! What would happen if some unrecognized movie or actor were enjoyed or appreciated?! Civilization as we know it would colapse and the the Old Ones would surely awaken from their slumber and rise from the sea...

...I kinda like the Academy Awards

-RoG- on 01/08/2008 2:09 pm

I'm just pissed, because I was 100% sure this was the year that I-Mockery would be winning a Golden Globe award. Damn it to hell...

Metal Misfit (Guest) on 01/08/2008 3:58 pm

Don't watch the awards show, don't care who wins at the awards show.

plooker on 01/08/2008 4:00 pm

I live in the eastern (poor) half of Connecticut, I work retail and I've never heard even customers discussing the 'entertainment industry'. I've heard some lively discussions about the product they produce, but I think noone really cares who they're putting on a pedestal and stroking this year. Football, on the other hand is a constant topic of discourse.

yertle (Guest) on 01/08/2008 4:48 pm

Im from the UK and I couldn't give a toss about some round trophy, that an already amazing actor/director is just going to toss into a glass cabinet at his house!

calavera on 01/08/2008 5:05 pm

Im from the uk, and Ive got no intrest, nor do I care about movie awards! Dont get me wrong, I love movies, and I do wish to work for a sfx company when I get my arse in gear, but i dont see the point of awards.

why do you need a piece of metal to tell u if your movie/acting/etc is good or not? if you like em, and the fans like em, who cares?

Jay ust (Guest) on 01/08/2008 6:14 pm

I know most of the winners of previous years through imdb, but I've honestly never watched the award ceremony itself for longer than 5 minutes on television.

Pandajuice on 01/08/2008 6:27 pm

To me, the Oscars are nice trivia years down the road (quick, what was Best Picture in 1985? No peeking at imdb!) and as Boogie said, a blurb in the paper the next day.

However, they are at least the most prestigious and watchable (barely) award shows. Don't get me started on the crap-fest they call the Grammys...

Let's toast good riddance to the Golden Globes which was always the poor man's Oscar anyway. Cheers!

Ferrit on 01/08/2008 7:29 pm

Other than being faced with what to do with my Golden Globes Night Outfit that took me 9 months to get together, and all the bean dip I was going to serve at the big Golden Globes get-together, I could honestly care less.

about maybe 2% of the movies/shows I'm interested in ever really win major awards. Peter Jackson winning for his LOTRs movies was fantastic - but I'd rather see him get awards for Bad Taste.

That's just my opinion though.
If anyone wants some bean dip just let me know. It's mostly fresh.

Spruce Moose on 01/08/2008 8:34 pm

I do what Max Burbank does. Except I usually end up doing something else before I even hit the halfway point.

I keep forgetting I don't enjoy them, have never enjoyed them, and don't give a rat's ass until that inevitable point in which I start playing video games. They seem more a fashion show than anything, with all that hoopla about the dresses. So shouldn't they be more worried about the fashion industry than anything?

Jay Rez (Guest) on 01/08/2008 10:03 pm

Either the Simpsons or the Critic had a great line - "The Oscars! Where Hollywood salutes itself!"

And speaking of your hollywood-obsessed friend, it always surprises me how ignorant most people from the massive costal hive-cities are of anything that isn't, well, them. It's not obliviousness to the contents of the "flyover states," but a viewpoint that foreign countries are apparently empty save for a few huge cities. (e.g. England consists of London and a couple castle ruins.)

Albino Bat on 01/08/2008 10:14 pm

Eh, I've never had the urge to watch any of those shows...

Nick on 01/08/2008 11:14 pm

I've never watched either.

SamGamgee on 01/09/2008 12:06 am

Awards shows are like the times when the president interupts the regularly scheduled programs to give a speach on some topic you can read about the next day in the papers or hit the highlights of on the evening news. Because that whole night is not only taken up on one major network, but all the others are showing repeats so the only thing "new" to watch is either the awards show or the local Public Broadcast Station. And really who are we kidding are the people who do the real work for the shows getting to go? Not to too many of those parties. I'ld watch if they showed "best stunt man in a action comedy" or "Hardest working set builder" or even "Best, Best boy" Nope never gonna see that. I bet if we did fewer strikes would take place.

Brown (Guest) on 01/09/2008 12:47 am

What exactly does a Best Boy do? Anyone know?

Protoclown on 01/09/2008 1:00 am

Why, a Best Boy shops at Best Buy, of course. I thought everyone knew that.

I don't care about the Oscars at all. Unless somebody makes a total ass of themselves, but then I can always catch that on the news or You Tube the next day.

blacksamster on 01/09/2008 1:31 am

Maybe if I'd seen more than one or two of the movies that are even up for Oscars each year I'd be more interested in the competition...

Captain PirateFace on 01/09/2008 1:39 am

I watched the Oscars when Steve Martin hosted, as he is a childhood favorite of mine. The show was boring as shit and poor Steve was about as funny as any of his family friendly shit he is currently cranking out (Come on Steve! More stuff like "The Jerk" and "All of me"!!!). Although if you look on youtube there is a great moment Steve totally pisses off Russel Crow. Award shows are a big ego stroke to already rich assholes. F 'em.

Jaimas on 01/09/2008 3:04 am

I can say that I haven't watched it in over a decade. Does that make me some kind of terrorist? I live in New York.

EddyMock on 01/09/2008 5:05 am

the golden what? and the whos?????

Jumez (Guest) on 01/09/2008 5:29 am

Well i'm in Sydney Australia, the most americanised city in australia and people here don't give a rats arse about the oscars unless like russel crowe or someone wins an award so we can be all patriotic and say that he is the most true blue aussie bloke ever even though he is from new zealand.

OxBlood on 01/09/2008 6:09 am

Hey there from Germany. I never watch anything like that at all. It´s just too unimportant, plus TV is pretty brainless anyway. Why bother, if some people who think they´re important (they´re not) take some golden thingy home for something that may entertain me for two hours? Two hours are an awfully short ammount of time. I don´t mind a good movie, but there are so many things more important than that.

Ultima Wraith (Guest) on 01/09/2008 7:04 am

Maybe the golden globes are like video game power ups and after getting so many, the actor powers up and goes off to make a good movie for a change.

Juice Rooney (Guest) on 01/09/2008 7:19 am

Yeah I can agree that awards are a way to show appreciation for peoples hard work...but it's not like your not going to read or watch it in the news...or at least GOOGLE that stuff!!!!
Now I cant say that football is more or less important...but i'm sure more people would watch the superbowl than some boring awards ceremony that's overrun with old people.

WarpedBoard (Guest) on 01/09/2008 9:58 am

Zzzzz.... wha?! Oh, the Golden Globes/Oscars are on? Zzzz....
Up here in this part of Canada, at least, a peewee-level hockey game generates way more interest than either pointless back-patting show.

WOBZIRE (Guest) on 01/09/2008 9:59 am

It's not a cartoon so I honestly dont know how people can bring themselves to care. People are weird like that.

Mullon on 01/09/2008 10:46 am

I watch the Oscars and Emmys every year, and every year I get annoyed by who wins. But I still watch them because I am an idiot.

AlliSabbah on 01/09/2008 11:39 am

I could really care less about either the Super Bowl or the Golden Globes.

Foil Wrapper (Guest) on 01/09/2008 12:14 pm

I think all these award shows are a horrible trite waste of time and money. And I'm an actor. Granted, not famous, and granted, I'm just finishing my last year of my acting degree, but honestly, think of how many millions of dollars are spent on these wank fests. We already know who'se great, do we really need to inflate the ego of these folks more?

Hey, how about this entertainment industry, lets use the money from this years oscars to feed the hungry around the world! No? Well, least I tried eh? :D

Pentegarn on 01/09/2008 12:50 pm

You might want to let your friend know in a less gentle way that they are wrong about the importance of the Golden Globes versus the Super Bowl.

One possible way might be, "heck, they think Super Bowl commercials are more important than the Golden Globes" or "As important than the Super Bowl?! They don't even think it is as important as Tidy Bowl (or if you prefer, Punch Bowl/Toilet Bowl/Taco Bell Border Bowl/Bowling for Dollars)"

thecatillaccat on 01/09/2008 2:33 pm

Well, I am a film and theatre major at Brookhaven College here in Dallas, TX, so I learn and know a bit more about the industry than some. For instance, a best boy is simply the assistant to a department head, such as the head of grips or lighting, forinstance. Regardless of my chosen vocation, I don't give two dripping shits about the writer's strike.

Why, you ask? Because I haven't had cable/satellite for 8 years now. 8 YEARS. So I don't give a damn about how nothing's on and people can't watch their precious Cavemen or whatever. The awards shows are just posturing, and more crap for me to memorize on tests. Bah.

Madface (Guest) on 01/09/2008 3:04 pm

I agree with Pandajuice. Globes aren't worth a damn compared to the Oscars and I don't even watch the fuckin' Oscars so this is no bother to me. The only time I can remember watching the Oscars is last year because my mom was pulling for Jennifer Hudson. The only part I enjoyed was how Forrest Whitakers speech got every crying (BLACK POWA'!!!) everything else was shit.

Cindermain (Guest) on 01/09/2008 3:30 pm

Jay Rez - "It’s not obliviousness to the contents of the “flyover states,” but a viewpoint that foreign countries are apparently empty save for a few huge cities. (e.g. England consists of London and a couple castle ruins.)"

___________________________________

You mean it ISN'T?! :O

Seriously, though, I HATE the Golden Globes, the Oscars, and the Grammys!
Personally, I find the Joan Rivers fashion commentary to be only redeemable thing about any of those shows...ooooooooh, cut me down, Joanie, cut me DOWN!!

0_o

Oh, I am a sick, SICK individual...

incognit000 on 01/09/2008 10:37 pm

Why should I give a shit?

Teal on 01/09/2008 10:49 pm

The less awards shows there are, the happier I am. Except this means that I have to hear about why they aren't around..which might be worse...

Big daddy Z (Guest) on 01/10/2008 2:04 am

Only time I ever watched any awards show from beginning to end was a few years back when I was told to cover it for my school paper.

Going back to the recurring topic of these asanine awards shows being more important then the superbowl, hell, don't these entertainment types what nielson ratings are? Those things alone show which attracts more people. You could promote the Golden Globes having a three way orgy with a bunch of Angelina Jolie clones and it still wouldn't get the draw the Superbowl does.

...although I might actually watch it for once.

Fat_Hippo on 01/10/2008 3:36 pm

I'm from Switzerland, and I very much doubt that many people over here watch(ed) either of these award shows. Personally, I've never watched one in my life, and don't really plan to either. The clothes don't interest me, the stars don't interest me (unless they're someone genuinely cool like Jack Nicholson or something) and most of the movies don't interest me either, so why waste a perfectly good evening that could be spent on playing video games or hanging out or both?

Desert_Screams on 01/10/2008 6:27 pm

Awards shows suck. And by "awards shows" I mean everything from the Oscars to the New Hampshire primaries. I never really understood the appeal of overpaid anorexics spouting platitudes about one another, especially when we don't remember any of 'em one month (let alone one year) later!

Autrach Sejanoz (Guest) on 01/11/2008 12:27 am

I don't give a shit about awards or award shows. I never really saw the point to them. And yes, I have gotten (school) awards in my life.

HowardC (Guest) on 01/11/2008 11:50 am

The award shows play a CRUCIAL role to the rest of us. Whenever our favorite show is cancelled, crap like Alvin and the Chipmunks get released, horrible actors Kenau Revves get major parts in big films and other similar b.s. goes on we get confused. Next we get mad. Then we start to wonder "Why? Dear God why did this happen?." Finally, we catch a award show and we remember "Oh yeah that's why! The entertainment industry is a group of morons headed by retarded money grubbing know-nothings!"

People who actually enjoy good writing instead of reality crap and predictable drama wonder why good shows like Firefly get cancelled, and then the see a poorly written "gay cowbody movie" get picture of the year and it gives them comfort in the fact that they, the educated viewer, are superior in every way to the entire entertainment industry.

Lobo (Guest) on 01/11/2008 5:50 pm

I live in Mexico, and here the media (TV & Newspapers) make a lot of buzz around the Oscars when any Mexican is nominated, even in the non important categories (like sound effects or such) and it gets worse if any actually win, they picture it as a national triumph and talk about it day after day with headlines like: "Mexico's name is in the top list" and crap like that. Pretty hideous pseudo nationalism.

PS I'm mexican.

Nktalloth on 01/14/2008 2:18 am

Golden globe...

That's the thing where you teabag someone so hard and so fast that they actually turn into a 24k lump of gold, then explode, right?

autodidact on 01/14/2008 3:01 am

These award shows always seemed to me to be the nearest thing we [Americans] have to the UK's honorary system. Instead of 'Sir' or 'Dame' preceding your name, you get to be referred to as 'Emmy/Oscar/Grammy award winning actor/actress/singer Whomever. That tag has never sent me rushing out to the movies.

Paradox244 (Guest) on 01/14/2008 9:59 pm

I don't even read the Entertainment section of my paper, so they mean nothing to me.