listen-all-of-yall-its-a-sabotage

Listen All Of Ya’ll It’s A Sabotage!

Why so blue?

We were at a video game party not too long ago and I made a costume for it: a scared ghost from Pac-Man. I once dressed up as Pac-Man when I was a kid, and I'll try digging through some old photos sometime to find a picture of it, but I never had a chance to be one of the ghosts. I dunno what it is about 'em, but I always loved how they turned blue with fear whenever Pac-Man ate a power pellet. Now, having worked on countless sprite-based games and comics, I'm extremely anal about making sure everything is absolutely pixel perfect, and making this costume was no different. I measured right down to the pixel an actual Pac-Man ghost and then translated it to the measurements of the large craftboard and foamcore that I would use to make it. Knowing I wouldn't be able to wear it during the entire party without crushing it, I opted to make something that I could later use as a wall decoration. What do you guys think? Personally, I'm really happy with how it turned out, especially since it was a last minute kind of thing that I put together in a day.

But most importantly, my buddy Tom captured one of my performances of "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys on Rock Band. You can watch me in all my rock star glory after the jump...

It's become sort of a tradition that whenever "Sabotage" comes on, I am required by the gods of rock to perform it as loud 'n obnoxiously as I can. You may now all get on your knees and proclaim, "We're not worthy!"

mburbank on 05/13/2008 12:06 pm

As always, Godly

Jen (Guest) on 05/13/2008 12:08 pm

Haha. I'm so glad I checked I-Mockery today.
Nice work Rog.

Fathom Zero on 05/13/2008 12:27 pm

Oh. OH GOD. Why? Why has God forsaken me?

Doctor_Who on 05/13/2008 12:41 pm

Truly the music industry has overlooked a god in human form.

I look forward to seeing you on "Behind the Music: RoG" twenty years from now, telling the audience how it's alright that you drove that nitroglycerin truck into the orphanage, because you have since found Jesus and are at peace.

Nick on 05/13/2008 1:39 pm

The Ghost looks great. Way to go, Rog.

BakaGaijin on 05/13/2008 1:45 pm

Great costume, RoG, it came out perfect. Any pics of you actually wearing it?

As for your performance... um... yeah.

Matty (Guest) on 05/13/2008 2:08 pm

Now I don't feel so bad about my perfomance of that song... Why the heck did they put "Sabotage" on Rock Band?

RoGYouDisappointMe (Guest) on 05/13/2008 2:28 pm

I never thought you would be the Rock Band type, RoG, :(

Silver on 05/13/2008 2:43 pm

That's a nice piece of effort from your part -RoG-. I was surprised to see how cool the pixelated ends were made with such a nice detail. As BakaGaijin already asked, do you have any photos of that party while you wear that costume? It would also be OK to see if there are any photos of the party in general to see what the other guys around were wearing.

And yes, I'm not worthy.

P.S.

Since the play button covers your hands, you look like if you were praying for something on the YouTube preview screen of your Sabotage video.

-RoG- on 05/13/2008 3:17 pm

Thanks for the compliments on the ghost costume everybody.

Doctor_Who, I'll be sure to let you know when that episode of Behind the Music is set to air. Hopefully it will go on to talk about my stint with Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.

Matty, there are a LOT of songs that should be on Rock Band that aren't and a lot of songs that shouldn't be on it at all. The singing part of the game is the only truly fun thing for me. I play (real) guitar, and don't like how games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero have them set up. If they were more like real guitars, then I'd be all over that. What's funny to me, and I've said this before, is how there are people out there who spend countless hours trying to get perfect scores playing guitar on Rock Band and Guitar hero when they could actually learn how to play a real guitar instead. But at least it's a lot o' fun to do the karaoke thing...

BakaGaijin / Silver, sorry no other pics to share. I finished putting that costume together that same day and just held it up as I walked around cuz I knew I'd constantly need to take it off. I was gonna attach some straps to it but decided that would end up ruining any potential it would have as a wall decoration later on. Re dressed up as Jill Valentine from Resident Evil too. Still waiting to get those pics back from the one friend who took 'em.

"I never thought you would be the Rock Band type, RoG, :("

Care to elaborate on this "Rock Band type" that you speak of, Mr. Anonymous?

executioneer on 05/13/2008 5:40 pm

dude you should have had scared ghost on one side and regular ghost on the other, then you just have to turn 180 degrees when someone eats a power pellet

-RoG- on 05/13/2008 5:49 pm

Haha, that's actually a great idea Willie, I just might do that since there's nothing on the other side at the moment. Good call!

ColdFusion (Guest) on 05/13/2008 6:20 pm

See that's what makes us different. I wouldve just draped a blue towel over myself. Maybe that's why nobody trick-or-treats at my house anymore...
That and the fact that it's a secure building.

Silver on 05/13/2008 6:48 pm

So, tell us -RoG-:

Blinky, Pinky, Inky or Clyde?

bountyhunterseven on 05/14/2008 12:30 am

seriously..was watching this...my dog jumped off the bed and hid underneth...

greenimp on 05/14/2008 1:32 am

silver: hmm... clyde eh? clyde, was he adopted? is he a pac-spy planted to infiltrate the ghost organization? why is his name not a nky name? one of the greatest mysteries yet...

rog: when do you release your album? i might camp out

Silver on 05/14/2008 7:39 am

greenimp: Maybe Clyde's real goal is to screw the other ghost's plans all over. Come to think of it, I always thought that his name was supposed to be some kind of joke intended to show that he was actually the "dumbass" or the four. You know you can't really trust guys like that one these days. Your spy theory makes sense to some degree.

Matty (Guest) on 05/14/2008 9:20 am

-RoG-:

I like the karaoke aspect as well , but I swear I need someone to apply some pliers to my "twins" in order to hit some of the high notes (like on "Wanted Dead or Alive" or "Creep").

The drum kit is cool, and I guess it actually does give the basics on how to play drums for real (unlike the guitar).

Jaimas on 05/14/2008 1:06 pm

This is concentrated awesome, to the point where onlookers unprepared for the sheer might of its coolness would instantly soil themselves.

Ollie (Guest) on 05/14/2008 7:34 pm

OMG!!! It's the Phantom Orange Shirt Guy on guitar... ;)

Count Mek on 05/14/2008 9:30 pm

Nice one :D

Artimus (Guest) on 05/15/2008 1:08 pm

awesomeness. The BB would be proud ;)

tenno (Guest) on 05/15/2008 6:07 pm

Holy shit, two kinds of awesome!

Invisible on 05/15/2008 6:48 pm

Can I be a groupie??

Huggbees (Guest) on 05/16/2008 2:56 pm

I'm a really good guitar player for Rock Band, but I always found Guitar Hero does that much better. If you want to play with friends, sing or drum, then Rock Band's for you, but really it's guitar was a bit too dull for me.

Also, you should go on American Idol and sing that RoG

Jaimas on 05/16/2008 9:46 pm

Shades of "I WILL BEAT PAC-MAN" in Rog's singing voice, too. X)

Simon (Guest) on 05/17/2008 11:20 pm

ahh Rog you hilarious man you. I want to see the full version of that :)

WryBeauty on 05/26/2008 11:09 pm

*giggles maniacally*

Rog is my hero

Hugh Jass (Guest) on 05/28/2008 12:52 pm

ROG would make an excellent metal vocalist (lol).

The costume is the essence of awesome. Great work!!