my-obligatory-friday-the-13th-post

My Obligatory Friday The 13th Post.

He really does love New York, he just hates the poster for it.

It may be an unlucky day for some, but for horror fans, Friday the 13th will forever be associated with gut-splatteringly good times thanks to a maniac in a hockey mask. Today I'd like to open up a discussion about the Friday the 13th flicks to hear your thoughts on a few things:

1) What's your favorite Friday the 13th movie?
2) What's your favorite Friday the 13th movie moment? (this can be a kill scene or just any scene you really enjoyed)

Now, I've already posted my list of Jason's 10 Best Kills and I still stand by that list 100%. Same goes for my Freddy's 10 Best Kills list. If I had to pick my favorite movie in the series, it would have to be Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood. Jason never looked better than he did in that one and I loved how he had a real opponent in the form of a girl with telekinetic powers.

As for my favorite movie moment... as fine as Jason's many kills have been over the years, the ultimate scene is from Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter in which Crispin Glover shows us that he is the greatest dancer in the history of the world.

It's still absolutely incredible to this day.

Also, while we're on the subject, what do you guys think about the new Friday the 13th movie that's coming out in February '09? They definitely got the hockey mask right and Derek Mears easily looks like the right man to play the part, but I still remain skeptical. Then again, I can't imagine it being worse than Rob Zombie's Halloween remake, so at least it has that going for it.

If you still need more of a Friday the 13th fix, check out these other I-Mockery articles:
-Jason X: The Worst Halloween Costume Ever?
-I-Mockery's in-depth look at Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
-Jason's 10 Best Kills

Formica (Guest) on 06/13/2008 2:44 pm

I knew i could count on you for some Friday the 13th funtimes, rog. My favorite Friday The 13th movie is definately part 6 "Jason Lives." Im a big fan of the original Return of the living dead so when i first saw it years ago on tbs i was glad to see Thom Matthews. Not to mention Jason Lives is probably the funniest of all the friday the 13ths.

As for my favorite moment, this may be strange but the beginning of i believe A New Beginning, the scene with corey feldman in the raincoat hiding out watchin some kids dig up jason, then jason chase him down and stuffs. Something about seeing that scene as a kid knowing Corey Feldman from stand by me and something about rain and gravesites is very appealing to me, just always stuck out in my mind.

Protoclown on 06/13/2008 2:47 pm

My favorite Friday the 13th movie is "Ernest Scared Stupid"

MilesMayhem on 06/13/2008 2:48 pm

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter is my favorite Friday, with Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood coming in a close second. I only realized it was the 13th after reading this post, almost missed out on a good excuse to watch some horror.

Rodan (Guest) on 06/13/2008 3:07 pm

If all goes as planned, I'm going to see the first movie for the first time today.

Penisaurus Rex on 06/13/2008 3:24 pm

I'm going to have to agree and say that Crispin dancing is the best thing from any Friday the 13th movie

shakaconner on 06/13/2008 3:27 pm

Part 4 and 7 are my favorites. My favorite moment is probably the end of Part 4, Jason's best death IMO.

I'm alright with the remake, I'll most likely see it opening day, don't think it will be anything special, but it might be a decent watch.

Relaxing Dragon on 06/13/2008 3:42 pm

@Rodan: While the first one is quite Jason-less (don't think that counts as a spoiler), it's still a goody. Watch it late at night.

I've been a Jason fan for as long as I can remember, and when it came to the big three slasher franchises of the time (Friday, Halloween, and Nightmare), Friday the 13th was by far my favorite one. Michael bored me, and I was never all that fond of Freddy, but Jason held me from the very beginning, from the humble bag over his head to his trademark hockey mask.

For my favorite entry, I'm definitely going with Friday the 13th part VI: Jason Lives. It just felt like quintessential Jason in this one, from the massive body count to the wonderful kills (can't go wrong with the cabin scene). Also, that part when he's on top of the flipped motor home, with flames in the background and all his weapons on hand... it's him at his most badass-looking.

For best kill, though, I need to give my kudos to the ice face kill in Jason X (a travesty of a picture otherwise, but it had it's moments). While the sleeping bag kill this site enjoys so much is a great one, the ice face is just so cool that I have to give it the nod.

I'm a little shaky on the new one. I've yet to tell if the Halloween remake was actually good or not (every time I hear from someone who loved it, I hear from someone else how they hated it. And not being a big Michael fan I never saw it), so the precedent for horror-franchise remakes at this point is a bit shaky. But since this is a movie that can work whether it's funny or scary, I'll give it a watch around opening day.

But heaven help us all if they decide to actually remake The Thing. That would bring nothing but trouble...

10,000 Volt Ghost on 06/13/2008 3:50 pm

One of my favorite moments was actually from Freddy Vs Jason. When Jason picks up freddy in the burning cabin and runs his head through a window...and then down the entire wall lengthwise with his head still out the window.

Kench on 06/13/2008 4:49 pm

A buddy of mine is working on set of the new Friday the 13th, and he said, in his words "There's a bunch of bad-ass stuff in this movie" and the guy playing Jason is apparently fantastic.

Boltox (Guest) on 06/13/2008 5:08 pm

I really enjoyed Jason goes to Hell, actually the movie is downright terible but the end bit there when you see Freddy's glove reach up and pull Jason's mask under the ground had me excited.

wetstereorebel on 06/13/2008 5:44 pm

These movies - and many like them - may account for the fact that every time I get laid I half expect a machete (or a similar item) to be shoved through a part of my body. Not surprisingly, this fear has not kept me from getting laid. I guess the pen(is) is mightier than the (fear of) the sword.

The Pirate Captain on 06/13/2008 6:04 pm

Jason X is not only my favorite Friday the 13th movie, it's also one of my favorite horror movies of all time. Unlike some other iterations in the series, it doesn't take itself seriously for even a second, and has some of the most memorable kills. The cryo-face kill is spectacular, and the sleeping bag callback is absolutely brilliant. You have to love a movie that shows how lethal Jason is if he can chop a guy's arm off even when he's frozen.

Plus the ending is completely over the top and ridiculous. How can you not love it?

Keith (Guest) on 06/13/2008 6:19 pm

Everytime I was sick growing up, I rented Jason movies. Though the earlier movies are far better, I have never laughed at something in a horror movie so hard as when Jason punches the guys head off in Jason takes Manhattan.

Dimnos on 06/13/2008 6:25 pm

Sleeping bag kill in part 7

Number6Faye (Guest) on 06/13/2008 6:26 pm

My favorite Friday the 13th movie would have to be either "Friday The 13th Part II" or "Friday The 13th Part VII: New Blood". Personally, I've always been fond of the scene in "New Blood" where Jason kills Dr. Crews with the tree-trimming saw.

Dimnos on 06/13/2008 6:26 pm

ah damn i screwed that img thing up. lol serves me right trying to do things drunk.

no prob, I fixed it for ya. -RoG

Number6Faye (Guest) on 06/13/2008 6:29 pm

And I know what you mean about the Friday the 13th remake. I'm still trying to decide whether I should see it in theaters or not; even though the script is written by the writers of Freddy VS Jason, I'm still doubtful. (And I saw Rob's version of Halloween a couple of weeks ago. Worst. Remake. EVER.)
Did you know that Platinum Dunes (the company making the Friday The 13th remake) is planning a remake of "A Nightmare On Elm Street"? WITHOUT Robert Englund? D:

GreenPeaness on 06/13/2008 6:53 pm

My personal favorite Jason kill is in VIII when Jason ambushes the semi-pedo stepfather therapist and gives him the mother of all swirlies in a fetid pool of good old New York raw sewage in an open oil drum. That always stuck with me as an awful way to die. See it's not just the drowning or suffocating, it's that he has to suck all that gunk in there into his lungs before he dies.
Also, I think I just remembered that in the shot of the open vat of sewage, there's a dead rat floating in it. That only leads me to wonder: what else would be floating around inside the drum or even at the bottom?
And as the perfect cap, Jason just leaves his legs sticking up out of the sewage under a streetlight in the back of some random wharf-side alleyway.

greenimp on 06/13/2008 7:07 pm

well, its hard to decide my fav... so i wont, but that dancing... XD i once saw someone doing hat at skool, turned out he was having a fit XD

JJ_Maniac on 06/13/2008 7:09 pm

Jason Goes to Hell would be my (odd) fave. Favorite kill was the sleeping bag cherry-cobbler one, and the homage to it in Jason X

Trash on 06/13/2008 7:10 pm

Fuck! Missed Friday the 13th.

And also, the greatest Friday the 13th movie is part II, and the greatest part is when Jason kills the wheelchair dude.

Ferrit on 06/13/2008 7:44 pm

ki-ki-ki...mah-mah-mah...ki-ki-ki...mah-mah-mah

Favorite is Part IV Final Chapter

Favorite scene is everything between the opening moments of Friday the 13th and the closing credits of Final Chapter....though I do love the frozen face smash in the otherwise abysmal Jason X.

If only only only they'd actually release a decent box set with every deleted scene from every movie... check out wiki, or your favorite movie info source for all the stuff that was cut out of the movies to appease Paramount, then the MPAA, then Tipper goddamn Gore and the National Coalition Against Violent Entertainment in the 80's - if you're a fan of the series you're sure to cry in loss and pain and sadness.

Shadow40000 on 06/13/2008 7:48 pm

The first, because the characters seem so real, and human vs. human conflict is much more exciting to me.

Max Power on 06/13/2008 9:07 pm

Memorial Day weekend, I got to meet Ari Lehman, Adrienne King, and Betsy Palmer from the original and Kane Hodder, Jason for VI, VII, VIII, IX, and X. It was awesome, especially the Q&A:

Silver on 06/13/2008 9:50 pm

Not having seen the Friday, the 13th movies so far (yes, I am not such a horror film enthusiast) I think it would be sacrilege to give an opinion, I have seen those articles related to the movies and the kills and, if I were to pick myfavorite one, it would be the Sleeping Bag one.

john (Guest) on 06/13/2008 10:10 pm

it's my nephews birthday, whats funny is he was originaly gonna be named jason, until he was born on friday the thirtentch five years ago, oh and best freddy moment, first movie when the girls on the ceiling.

Drunken_Lemur408 on 06/13/2008 11:18 pm

Today also happens to be my Birthday!!

Copper on 06/13/2008 11:25 pm

Admittedly, the only Jason movie I've seen is "Freddy vs." since I'm not much of a horror fan, but it was on Halloween night a few years back and my company wanted to watch it, so I haven't got a favorite moment from the franchise. I guess I kinda liked the part in the movie where the girl tries to reach out and help Young Jason, only to have Freddy foil her plans. The water vs. fire bit between the two was pretty interesting, too.

And though I'm not a fan, I'm still leery of the remake, as I am of nearly all remakes. It will either improve upon what is there or make you appreciate the original even more, like always.

Jaimas on 06/14/2008 12:10 am

You can't beat the classics. The first two FT13s were much more viscerally frightening, even with the usual bouts of silliness they conjure.

Shane Skekel (Guest) on 06/14/2008 12:37 am

Fun fact about Friday the 13th Part VII: Susan Blu was in it (that was her last on-screen role).

Silver on 06/14/2008 12:56 am

Happy unholy birthday, Drunken_Lemur408.

Doctor_Who on 06/14/2008 1:34 am

Favorite movie = #6. Love the kills, the Alice Cooper soundtrack, and the Frankenstein resurrection of Jason. Getting the real one back after the abysmal part 5 was a relief too.

Favorite scene: I'm assuming Freddy vs Jason counts as an official Friday Movie, so the scene where he gets his fingers cut off and stares at his hand in a sort of confused disbelief. It's so rare to see someone capable of emoting behind a hockey mask.

VersaVise (Guest) on 06/14/2008 11:42 am

Hi! Long time fan, first time poster.
I have always had an enthusiastic enjoyment of part 8, mostly due to Jason's unorthodox killing and his freaking out the street punks. As for my favored moment, I always enjoy watching the idiot in Jason X calling out "Don't worry guys! He only wanted his machete back!" and proceeds to turn away from Jason.

As for Freddy, I enjoyed part 3:Dream Warriors, although, what I never got was all the homoments (homo-moments) of part 2... Gay bars, young men in their briefs and an S&M Bear coach. *Shudders*
I have always enjoyed the classic blood eruption in the first movie, but I have always disliked Freddy's quickly declining one-liners.

Jonny#5 on 06/14/2008 12:05 pm

The Crispin Glover dance still makes me laugh.

Cat (Guest) on 06/14/2008 12:46 pm

Favorite one? I'd have to say Part 7. Though I do like Freddy vs. Jason, too. And I know I'm in a minority there. As for scene... I'm not actually certain. I do like him freaking the punks out in Part 8, that's definiately a good scene.

I also find the somewhat random homoeroticism in Freddy's Revenge to be sort of funny.

And the remake... That bothers me. I liked Rob Zombie's Halloween, though ot as much as the original. (The original is one of two favorite movies) But, It's sorta the same feeling I had befor ethat one came out. I'd like to see more movies following the original, rather than a remake, especially for such a classic movie, but whatever. I'm sorta resigned to seeing movies I really like getting remake treatments. The thing that really disappoints me is the fact that it's entirely possible that people around my age (17) will have no idea that a bunch of these movies are remakes. And that makes me sad.

Spruce Moose on 06/14/2008 12:58 pm

I was born on a friday the 13th. It's always been a very lucky day for me.

Kilgore Cod on 06/14/2008 1:48 pm

It's kinda lame but I always get a kick out of Part VIII when Jason kills that wanna-be rocker chick. Its like a condemnation of the entire 80's glam scene.

Nowhere (Guest) on 06/15/2008 12:04 am

FYI, Crispin Glover says in an interview that the song that was playing was AC/DC's Back in Black when he was filming that scene.

Lonan (Guest) on 06/15/2008 2:04 am

Haha, that makes sense, actually. Watch the scene without volume, and if you're familiar with Back in Black, the first part of his dance sorta fits. His spazzing seems to go along the main guitar riff.

Count Mek on 06/15/2008 11:16 am

There's a NEW Friday the 13th!?!?!? =O
My fav has got to be where he hits that tree with the girl in the sleeping bag...
Or where that girl attacks that fake Jason with the chainsaw, he falls over backwards, then she sets it DOWN ON THE GROUND IN FRONT OF HIM then proceeds to hit him over the head with a chair and run...
Also, best dancing ever there :D

Desert_Screams on 06/15/2008 11:05 pm

I'm gonna go with some other posters here & say the best film in the FRIDAY series has been the brilliant PART VI: JASON LIVES. C.J. Graham was the best of the Jasons, in my book-- without any disrespect to any of the Hodder fans out there, C.J. got the right balance between the stealthy predator and the lumbering brute. Every other performer to take on the role has leaned more to one extreme or the other-- Graham hit the right note.

I'm alarmed by what's been reported about the re-boot of the FRIDAY franchise, that it basically establishes Jason as *the* antagonist, brings in the hockey mask right away, and Mrs. Voorhees is in it for all of 10 minutes. Derek Mears is good casting for Jason, and I wish him well-- he has shown much love to the genre and its fans over the last few years-- but it's the Swift/Shannon writing team that makes me really nervous here.

Desert_Screams on 06/15/2008 11:12 pm

Plus which also, the remake's Mrs. Voorhees will be played by that odd woman from one of the STAR TREK series.

That fact frightens me in my bad place.

MartinSargent on 06/18/2008 8:32 pm

My favorite is part 4. That movie has one of the funniest scenes ever. When Jason kills that guy in the basement he yells "He's killing me! He's killing me!" Hilarious. Part 7 is awesome as well.

Can someone tell me why the bloody hell Kane Hodder wasn't in Freddy VS Jason? Why is he not gonna be in the new one? Kane Hodder IS Jason. So sad that his last film will be that crappy Jason X.

uncircumsizedfacelift (Guest) on 06/19/2008 2:31 am

favorite is part 2

favorite moment,probably the revelation of the killer from the 1st

although VI was ok,i don't care for the ones after V (which is really underrated,it's not that different from any of the others,but people are pissy because they wanted Jason)

Desert_Screams on 06/19/2008 7:37 pm

MartinSargent: Ronny Yu, director of FREDDY VS. JASON, has said that he wanted a real giant who would tower over the smaller Robert Englund, for the role of Jason Voorhees. Hence he chose stunt performer and all around large scary individual Ken Kirzinger (who had done stunt work on PART VIII, setting up a scene in which one film Jason kills another) for FVSJ.

Problem with Yu's story is that Kane Hodder was, and is, a large guy in his own right-- slightly smaller than Kirzinger, but definitely imposing any way you look at him. (Don't take my word for it-- do a Google Image Search and find the photo of Englund, Hodder, and CANDYMAN star Tony Todd standing together at an event, to show the size difference between the two men.)

The other reported reason for Hodder being nixed for FREDDY VS. JASON, and I find it credible, is that he was too professional-- took the role and the fan-base seriously, and tried to bring Jason continuity to the film when the producers had no real interest in tying the film to all the films that had gone before. He kept saying Jason would not do certain things-- that he wouldn't behave out of character-- and when Yu decided he didn't want an actor who happened to be a stuntman, but some guy in a rubber suit, he went elsewhere for his Jason, much to the film's overall discredit.

Meh. This post is turning into a fuckin' Stephen King novella. Sorry 'bout that. It's interesting movie lore, for sure. Hope Derek Mears has had a better time of it on the set of the F13 "reboot" than some of his machete-wielding predecessors.

MartinSargent on 06/20/2008 10:05 am

Wow. Thanks for the info screams.

I'd also like to add that I'm probably the only person that likes Jason goes to Hell. The directors cut version is actually pretty cool. Yeah yeah it's not Jason or whatever but it actually kind of is. You know what I'm saying. At least it was better than part 5. I mean come on. That scene when Jason barges into the diner is friggin rad.

Johnny Bravo (Guest) on 06/22/2008 2:12 am

Jason Goes to Hell! While it's a pretty big departure in tone and style, it's packed with action and the KNB effects blew me away. I mean, finally this was the age where cut scenes started to survive and make it onto special edition VHS and later DVD extras. Who doesn't love the unrated sex scene in the tent (the sex itself is good quasi-porn) where the brunette gets ripped in half by the tent pike while her blood jets all over the boyfriend? And he used to complain when it was simply her time of the month!

I saw Jason goes to hell when I was maybe twelve in the arthouse theatre close to the university in my home town. This was a rowdy crowd of young men openly yelling remarks to the screen, an experience rivaling a Rocky Horror Picture Show showing. As soon as the movie started and the camera zoomed in on a sign for "Camp Crystal Lake" the whole audience said knowingly "OOOOOOOOOOOO!"

jo8136 (Guest) on 07/27/2009 4:43 pm

favorite:Part 2
favorite moment: In IV when Crispin Glover os yelling for the corkscrew and Jason gives it to him. Hard.