the-final-remnants-of-halloween

The Final Remnants Of Halloween.

You will be missed, Sewer Zombie Head. :(

Early last week I was out walking and I noticed something strange lying on the ground near a sewer grate on the other side of the road. When I walked over to get a closer look, I realized it was a discarded novelty zombie head from Halloween. The day after Halloween, we had a big rainstorm here in L.A. (which is always a rare treat), and it had apparently washed this foam-stuffed zombie head all the way down to the bottom of my street. Something about seeing it just helplessly lying there demanded that I get some photos of it. A simple severed zombie head lying on a sewer grate amongst the leaves, grass and trash as the water flowed behind it and people walked on by while not even taking the time to stop and appreciate it. It almost felt like I had made a discovery that nobody else new about. A poetic goodbye to Halloween 2008 if you will.

Every day since I first discovered it on the ground, I've been walking by my zombie head always smiling as I passed it. Unfortunately, he did eventually make his way into the sewer, but I like to think that he floated off somewhere and is now providing somebody else with daily smiles. Thanks for making my recent walks all the better, Sewer Zombie Head. You will be missed.

Hit the jump to see some more photos that were taken of the Sewer Zombie Head.

You will be missed, Sewer Zombie Head. :(

You will be missed, Sewer Zombie Head. :(

You will be missed, Sewer Zombie Head. :(

You will be missed, Sewer Zombie Head. :(

He may be gone, but I'll always have these photos to look back on and smile at.

Lostmayhem on 11/11/2008 3:39 am

Should've taken it that things awesome

Su (Guest) on 11/11/2008 3:45 am

I like to imagine that some misfortunate child somewhere-- just having watched "IT" for the first time, if you will-- should haplessly pass by a sewer drain as Sewer Zombie Head swathingly ambles on by. Their eyes would meet for an instant and at that very moment, you might hear an audible snap as something within the child shatters.
He rushes home to tell his mother the tale of Sewer Zombie Head and is promptly grounded for making up bullshit tales of where he was and what he was doing, much like his father.

I'm such a hopeless romantic, though.

Kyle Harkes (Guest) on 11/11/2008 7:36 am

Poor Sewer Zombie Head...... :(

SPINAL on 11/11/2008 8:50 am

a Sewer Zombie Head is a terrible thing to waste

saturnknight on 11/11/2008 8:51 am

it's like there was an Epic battle and the zombie was the victim.

speaking of zombies, Google: "Dead Frontier" it's an online RPG where you need to fight off zombies within a city.

Chris (Guest) on 11/11/2008 11:12 am

I don't know what the award given out for the best photos of the year are, but you deserve one.

Adoring Fan (Guest) on 11/11/2008 11:46 am

Almost as good as the picture of the Hulk head. Almost.

Faux Troll (Guest) on 11/11/2008 1:47 pm

Yeah Rog like you are so fucking... AWESOME man. Your mother... RULES!

flash_fox on 11/11/2008 1:55 pm

Hopefully that zombie head doesn't wash up on shore somewhere and it's discovered by someone in the middle the night with a flashlight, because that person would probably confuse it as a real decapitated head because of the darkness and call the cops.

Then again, it would probably be funny if it did happen.

Doctor_Who on 11/11/2008 2:52 pm

I also found some left over holiday debris the day after Halloween: A witch hat, one of those Silence of the Lambs half-hockey masks, and a candle shaped like a eyeball. They now happily adorn my stuffed Domo-Kun from Target, making a perfect Halloween shrine.

Pic:

XtinaxFan on 11/11/2008 3:15 pm

flash fox
lol that would be awesome. I'd love to hear that on the news.
Hey RoG don't yell at me for asking but is there going to be a West Hollywood feature with all the photos?
I haven't let go of Halloween yet I need something to tide me over til Christmas through the gloom that is November. We don't have any UK holidays between now and then apart from Bonfire Night [Nov 5th]. Do the yanks celebrate that?

Jer Ber on 11/11/2008 7:42 pm

IawLostmayhem. Should have take that head, man.

Mister Tea on 11/11/2008 9:36 pm

"...but I like to think that he floated off somewhere and is now providing somebody else with daily smiles."

Or at the very least, he's off scaring the ever-loving shit out of some hapless sewer worker. Either way, it's cool with me.

Silver on 11/11/2008 9:38 pm

That zombie head definitely makes it look like a crime scene for the police to put "no trespassing" yellow tape all around.

Kato (Guest) on 11/11/2008 11:31 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm surprised nobody took it lol.

Also, I have produced a comprehensive highlight movie from the West Hollywood Carnaval event. It was well produced and high quality and I think you will like it. I hope to meet you at the event next year and we can get some footage and an interview. I will definitely feature you too. Thanks.

Franklin aka Kato

resident-adam on 11/12/2008 12:31 am

Almost... poignant.

Rebel Without a Sauce on 11/12/2008 3:05 am

He'll be visiting children in their bathrooms later tonight. Heartwearming. :)

Zandigg on 11/12/2008 7:23 pm

I have one of those things if you want it, homie.

Jony B. Good on 11/12/2008 9:39 pm

Take the third picture, make it black and white, and it makes a great wallpaper XD

qovab on 11/12/2008 10:06 pm

you should have taken it home and washed it that thing looks awsome

-RoG- on 11/12/2008 10:58 pm

To those of you asking why I didn't take it home... it's simple: 1) The zombie head had been lying on a sewer grate all week long. Not exactly something you want to hold onto. 2) It looked WAY better lying there on the street than it would in my home.

Zandigg, thanks for the offer man, but I wouldn't want to deprive you of your one and only zombie head!

XtinaxFan, heheh sorry not this year most likely. Some friends took a few photos here 'n there, but I couldn't take any since my hands were obviously full with the giant Jason Voorhees costume.

Doctor Who, that's one hell of a fine shrine and you shouldn't take it down just because Halloween is over. That deserves to be left up all year long.

Adoring Fan, haha glad somebody remembers the Hulk Head photo! It's still one o' my all-time favorites.

Kyle (Guest) on 11/13/2008 2:42 pm

Rog... I have that exact same head! I bought mine last Halloween at Target!

~Kyle

-RoG- on 11/13/2008 9:49 pm

Weird! I don't even recall seeing anything like it at Target last Halloween. I did notice there's one up on eBay for sale though, in case any of you want it.

ColdFusion (Guest) on 11/15/2008 5:46 pm

"Mikey, how did you manage to decorate our lair so THOROUGHLY for Halloween?"
"You'd be surprised what washes into the sewers, dudes!"

payne on 11/16/2008 3:20 pm

Halloween came too fast but ya I would have kept it and thrown it into the basement and figure wtf to do with it for next year

tenno on 11/28/2008 5:57 am