I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philosophy, Politics, and News (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   War, the world's only hygiene (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69701750)

VaporTrailx1 Mar 5th, 2009 12:53 PM

Usually the strong (elite units and those most willing to fight) are pretty much wiped out in the beginning stages of the war. At least that was the case in both World Wars. You're pretty much left with rookies and unwilling draftees towards the end.

It's pretty much counter-productive in that sense.

pac-man Mar 5th, 2009 12:54 PM

Where do you get a stat like that from?

Big Papa Goat Mar 5th, 2009 04:12 PM

All this talk about the strong is ridiculous. Go to a gym if you want to be strong. And as for weeding out the weak, why weed them out? If they're so weak they'll weed themselves out.

Tadao Mar 5th, 2009 05:10 PM

Weak of mind or weak of body? What are we looking for here? What Hitler called the perfect specimen? All those experiments showed that the offsrping were nothing like... Why the fuck am I even bothering :rolleyes

derrida Mar 5th, 2009 06:10 PM

Every thread Mr. Kampf participates in devolves into sweeping generalizations. It's basically how the guy thinks.

This is also probably the worst possible topic to generalize about, considering there's not much in common between, say stone-age raids in the Amazon and low-intensity conflict in the Balkans or whatever.

Strength doesn't really mean a thing in war outside of individual battles. Japan and Germany prevailed on the battlefield more often than not and ended up with a gelded culture and the lowest birth rates in the western world. History is chock full of examples of small but tough tribes that get slowly ground into hamburger by their weaker but larger and wealthier neighbors. (see paraguay) I'd say the single greatest weapon nowadays is demographics.

That said, someone should attempt to explain how the Peloponnesian war was a good thing. Agricultural aristocracy (Sparta) defeats commercial democracy (Athens). It ended the Greek golden age and enabled Alexander the Great to conquer Greece and use its blood and treasure to finish off the crumbling Persian empire. A nice achievement, to be sure, but didn't accomplish anything of lasting significance. After the death of Alexander the Seleucid empire was formed, only to be defeated by cavalry archers from the Asian steppes (a recurring theme).

Oh, and as a side note, what about the Afghans? Some of the best fighters in the world, and they only fight for two things: boys to rape, and money.

Dr. Boogie Mar 5th, 2009 06:11 PM

Opium fields, too, but I guess that could go under "money".

VaporTrailx1 Mar 5th, 2009 08:54 PM

Yep, and the Spartans didn't help Alexander, because they refused to take part in a campaign that wasn't lead by the Spartans. Alexander had some commemorative shield on it that said something along the lines of "Thanks to all the Greek states, except Sparta"
I have no fuckin clue where this conversation is going anymore. I think it's time lock lock this clusterfuck thread lol

Zhukov Mar 6th, 2009 05:16 AM

Are we supposed to be in a state of constant war? 1984 stylee.

Dimnos Mar 6th, 2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhukov (Post 617758)
Are we supposed to be in a state of constant war? 1984 stylee.

Fuck that shit! Give me liberty or give me death!