I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philosophy, Politics, and News (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Haiti (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69703978)

Kitsa Jan 19th, 2010 10:04 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/201...uffpost/427247

Cruise ship docks in Haiti, drops off a few pallets of supplies...and then passengers have a fun barbecue on the beach.

Colonel Flagg Jan 19th, 2010 09:20 PM

Definitely a "WTF?" moment.

Dancing, a luau and people dying horribly. Great combo.

Dimnos Jan 20th, 2010 10:05 AM

"We payed good money for this vacation. We shouldnt be punished because they decided to die. >:"

Ant10708 Jan 20th, 2010 10:42 AM

So you don't want people to spend money to vacation in Haiti because of the earthquake?

I understand it appears in poor taste with dead bodies lying everywhere but the country needs all the business it can get for its horrible economy and I'm sure now more then ever they need foreign businesses to continue to invest in their country.

And should people also stop all their vacations to the Dominican republic too out of respect for the Haitians? I mean its on the same small island as the quake victims.

Whats the difference now that there was a natural disaster opposed to the man made one that the Haitians have been living in for decades while the world let them suffer in silence. I mean before the earthquake was it any better for rich westerners to be vacationing in a private resort while the majority of the population lived poverty stricken lives? We do the same thing with Jamaica. We enjoy their beaches while the country dies and becomes a breeding ground for gangs and drug cartels and that won't stop because of some earthquake.

If the world really gave a shit about haiti or poor people in general they would fix the infrasture of these shitty coutnries before the natural diasters hit and turn a shitty situation into an unbeliveable shittier one.

elx Jan 20th, 2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

If the world really gave a shit about haiti or poor people in general they would fix the infrasture of these shitty coutnries before the natural diasters hit and turn a shitty situation into an unbeliveable shittier one.
yeah seriously. it's receiving so much attention that everyone wants to do good while we're still watching.

it's a good thing that they didn't cancel their trip to this resort either. it was on the other side of the island and had been planned well in advance. screw everyone whose making a shit storm out of it, because now these cruises and foreign travel businesses are going to avoid haiti for fear of criticism. once haiti has been replaced and worked out of the trips you guys can go and tell all of the out of work haitians and their children that it was out of respect.

Dimnos Jan 20th, 2010 12:16 PM

They can still stab shoot and voodoo each other. :rolleyes

Kitsa Jan 20th, 2010 04:36 PM

I think there are people on both sides of that particular debate who need a hearty screw you.

Fathom Zero Jan 20th, 2010 04:46 PM

If they really didn't want to help out, they should've stayed on the boat and not gone anywhere near the ******s they apparently detest so much.

kahljorn Jan 20th, 2010 08:49 PM

I don't really know a lot about the haitian government/wealthy but i hate them and this is probably all somehow their fault.

Colonel Flagg Jan 20th, 2010 11:18 PM

Kahl cuts through the crap again. :rock

Grislygus Jan 21st, 2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant10708 (Post 668536)

ha ahaha yeah, the "America-Just-Walks-In-Ignores-The-Government-And-Fixes-Everything" Program, I hear that Pakistan and Yemen has been trying to get enrolled for YEARS. People just can't seem to get enough of United States fucking meddling, wonder why we don't do it more often

Ant10708 Jan 21st, 2010 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 668715)
ha ahaha yeah, the "America-Just-Walks-In-Ignores-The-Government-And-Fixes-Everything" Program, I hear that Pakistan and Yemen has been trying to get enrolled for YEARS. People just can't seem to get enough of United States fucking meddling, wonder why we don't do it more often

did I say the united states? the united nations existed last time i checked

so you'd rather the united states military come to build roads after an earthquake but before an earthquake its us meddling?

Grislygus Jan 21st, 2010 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant10708 (Post 668724)
did I say the united states? the united nations existed last time i checked

Oh yeah, that's a model of efficient reform right there. So you propose that the United Nations goes into a country like, oh, Jamaica or Somalia, imposes martial law and reconstructs an entire country's culture and infrastructure without ever being asked to do so. That'll go over real well.

Quote:

so you'd rather the united states military come to build roads after an earthquake but before an earthquake its us meddling?
NO SHIT, SHERLOCK

Colonel Flagg Jan 21st, 2010 09:20 AM

During the reign of one of the Duvalier's, the US was good with dumping a load of food into Haiti to support the government. Trouble was that it put many farmers out of business. So the out-of-work farmers came to the city where they were promised jobs - when the jobs didn't magically appear, they built ramshackle huts in and around the capital. [Fill in the blanks from here.]

Sometimes the best solution is to teach people to solve their own problems.

Just sayin'.

Tadao Jan 21st, 2010 12:16 PM

Hawaii 2

Grislygus Jan 21st, 2010 12:22 PM

"NO WAI DA UNITED NATIONS NEEDS TA MARCH IN WITH THEIR ARMY AND FIX EVERYTHING

CAUSE THEY TOTALLY DO HAVE AN ARMY, I KNOW IT

WAIT, NATO? WUZZAFUCK IZZAT?"

Grislygus Jan 21st, 2010 12:23 PM

Hey, let's all help by funneling in guns, that's working great in Somalia :lol

Colonel Flagg Jan 21st, 2010 01:55 PM

AMERICA!!!! F**K YEAH!!!!

kahljorn Jan 21st, 2010 04:26 PM

The problem with us interfering with other countries is that we can never do enough. If we could just like take over and turn it into another state and kill everybody there that's a jerk/enslave the populace replace their government and start building infrastructure ourselves it would probably work out better, but instead we'll interfere in minor affairs and end up doing next to nothing.

Other than that, I agree that they're gonna have to solve their own problems. BUT IT MAKES YOU WONDER IF THESE PEOPLE CAN SOLVE THEIR OWN PROBLEMS. JESUS CHRIST.

Ant10708 Jan 22nd, 2010 06:03 AM

I don't see the concept of the United Nations performing acts like paving roads and building hospitals with actual foundations in poor countries to be so completely outrageous and mock worthy.

impose martial law, and reconstruct the culture is obviously stuff your mind made up because you get jumpy and think colonialism when any country gets involved with another.

Colonel Flagg Jan 22nd, 2010 09:19 AM

That's all well and good, but without doctors, nurses and knowledgeable staff for the hospitals or engineers to maintain the roadways (and adequate security for both) we'll find that all our good intentions go for naught. Plus, if we do all the work, with our contractors and our equipment, then leave - what has changed really? We have a desperately poor society with a really good hospital and some cool roads. How long do you think that hospital or those roadways are going to be useful in that situation.

We're right now trying to do this in Iraq. How is that working out?

My point stands - teach the people to solve their own problems their own way. Give them the tools to allow them to make their own decisions about how to go about fixing their country. Knowledge is power.

10,000 Volt Ghost Jan 22nd, 2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimnos (Post 668557)
They can still stab shoot and voodoo each other. :rolleyes

:lol This just replaced rock paper scissors forever with me.

10,000 Volt Ghost Jan 22nd, 2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg (Post 668944)
My point stands - teach the people to solve their own problems their own way. Give them the tools to allow them to make their own decisions about how to go about fixing their country. Knowledge is power.

Not to be negative or offtopic but that's what we did with Iraq in the early 90's and then they started the Taliban right?

Colonel Flagg Jan 22nd, 2010 11:23 AM

Nope. We gave Saddam Hussein guns and ammo in the '80s so he could bomb Iran, but he ended up bombing the Kurds. Then he took it a step further annexing our oil in Kuwait, which resulted in our slapping him on the wrist and making him promise to never do it again.

We started the Taliban also in the early '80s when the USSR was getting their butts handed to them in Afghanistan (and we here were calling it their "Vietnam"). Aid was funnelled to the "northern alliance" which was really a bunch of tribal leaders who hated each other, but hated the Russians more. The Taliban was formed out of that group.

By tools I was referring to intellectual property - education, teachers, books - not AK-47s, F17s, RPGs and assorted chemical warheads.

I fully admit I'm living in "DREAMLAND". In retrospect, you are correct, it's the latter that we end up providing.

The Leader Jan 22nd, 2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost (Post 668955)
Not to be negative or offtopic but that's what we did with Iraq in the early 90's and then they started the Taliban right?

THE WAR IN IRAQ WAS CLEARLY JUSTIFIED THEN