I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philosophy, Politics, and News (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   50 books this year (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25571)

glowbelly May 29th, 2007 05:57 AM

i hope i like it, too, but if i don't i'll still finish it. i read all of moby dick and hated the thing 2 pages in.

warning: infinite jest is VERY LONG.

kahljorn May 29th, 2007 02:18 PM

Yea, I read about it on Amazon. The book by fante is only about 200 pages, but it's part of a series.

J. Tithonus Pednaud May 31st, 2007 11:38 PM

If we are just talking 'classic' 20th century novels, your list should include:

Rabbit, Run by John Updike
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
A Dance to the Music of Time by Anthony Powell
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

A few years back, I managed to read all 100 of Time's proclaimed Books of the Century. I was traveling a lot and had a lot of free time. I was most surprised by Lolita, given the subject matter, but the writing style is stellar.

I recently read Never Let Me Go and I enjoyed it quite a lot. I don't read many novels these days...more eclectic texts on odd subjects like Edison's Eve, which deals with the history of animatronics and the quest for mechanical life, and very old natural history and medicine texts.

I also just bought a television, the first I have owned in well over a decade so I am rotting my brain with television these days as well.

glowbelly Jun 1st, 2007 03:40 PM

we're not talking 'bout any specific novels, buddo.

i've read rabbit, run, one flew over the..., and lolita.

i think i'm going to have to put this on hold because i just started classes and this summer term is going to kick my ass.

J. Tithonus Pednaud Jun 1st, 2007 05:12 PM

I recall reading somewhere on this board that you were headed back to school. Best of luck, sincerely.

Girl Drink Drunk Jun 7th, 2007 03:51 PM

Read all of Chris Crutcher's books.

theapportioner Jun 12th, 2007 09:42 PM

Has nobody mentioned Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow"? Mind you, I've tried twice but haven't been able to get through it, but it's considered essential.

Philip Roth is another important author, though I can't say I care for him that much.

AChimp Jun 15th, 2007 10:00 AM

Jaeger wrote a book?

glowbelly Jun 18th, 2007 02:34 PM

yes, he sure did and it's not that bad, either. the story is solid and extremely entertaining. the first half is a bit of a mess, but he knows it and i think he's rewriting it, i'm not sure. the last half is really darn good and i couldn't put it down. i think he's posted some of it on his livejournal. and he'll probably send you an electronic copy of it if you hit him up on gmail.

apportioner: i have wanted to read gravity's rainbow forever, but i can never seem to find a copy :(

i married a communist by philip roth is one of my favorite books. yes.

Jaeger S Meistersen Jun 18th, 2007 02:42 PM

A bit of a mess?

fuck...

glowbelly Jun 18th, 2007 05:28 PM

and that is how you make a big ego-head meanie second guess himself, folks.

Darryl Jun 24th, 2007 05:40 AM

Yay, Books! :love

FartinMowler Jul 5th, 2007 06:44 PM

I read a book called The one armed Art Fag :bestthread