I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Movies that never got a fair shake. (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25426)

Fathom Zero Mar 19th, 2007 03:55 PM

Movies that never got a fair shake.

Hudson Hawk. That movie was awesome and still holds up today. Yet I don't hear it ever mentioned anymore.

What movie do you think never got a fair shake?

Mockery Mar 21st, 2007 01:07 AM

Lots of movies, but one off the top of my head would have to be Darkman. Just saw it for the first time in ages the other day and forgot how amusing it was. Plus I always thought Larry Drake rocked. And speaking of Larry Drake...

Dr. Giggles is another movie that never got the credit it deserved, but that's one I'll definitely review on the site at some point. Took me a while to find a copy on DVD. I hate it when good shit goes out of print.

Zomboid Mar 21st, 2007 04:11 AM

When I was a kid, my dad and I would rent big stacks of tapes every weekend from the sci-fi, horror, and action sections at the video store, so I saw and enjoyed both of those several times :O. For some reason, the kill I remember most from Dr. Giggles is when he replaces that lady's pill and walks right by some kid playing video games at a different part.

I still I still have hudson hawk on vhs somewhere around here. I remember liking it a lot but when I think about it, I can't remember why.

Grislygus Mar 21st, 2007 10:24 AM

I have never met (in person) anyone else who enjoyed Evolution or Formula 51.

Formula 51, I can definitely understand. But I thought Evolution was fucking hilarious (who gives a shit if Stifler was in it?).

Fathom Zero Mar 21st, 2007 01:06 PM

Evolution was good and Darkman is awesome.

I was thinking about Evolution not even last week and how much I wanted to see it again.

Staples made for me an about-5" x 10" sticker out of the "Who is Dark Man?" poster and I have no idea what I'm going to use it for. It looks boss, though.

Jeff The Ninja Mar 22nd, 2007 05:23 PM

I used to have a Darkman Comic/Graphic Novel. It was basically the movie summed up in comic form, and it was extremely violent (For a 7 year old). I wish i could find it.

Fathom Zero Mar 28th, 2007 07:53 PM

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6212004893041192197&q=genre%3Ahorr or+duration%3Along

God bless Google Video.
Dr. Giggles.
Get it while it's hot.

eggyolk Apr 2nd, 2007 01:58 PM

is the whole thing supposed to be in french

Cliff Steele Apr 2nd, 2007 03:59 PM

I don't know if it would be considered a movie that didn't get a fair shake, but Lost Highway never seems to get mentioned among David Lynch films, and I think it's the best one :O

Fathom Zero Apr 18th, 2007 07:33 AM

Ginger Snaps never got a fair shake. It never even got a theatrical release, if I'm not mistaken.

Grislygus Apr 18th, 2007 08:37 AM

Ginger Snaps is loved by horror fans everywhere, it's had plenty of shakes.

JohnBoy Apr 18th, 2007 09:34 AM

Lost Highway was awesome, as was Darkman. I think Cabin Boy never really got a fair shake as far as comedies are concerned, I still laugh my ass off every time I watch it. The art direction was solid too, albeit strange.

Girl Drink Drunk Apr 18th, 2007 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 488075)
Ginger Snaps is loved by horror fans everywhere, it's had plenty of shakes.

Apparently not by a lot of people here when I tried making a thread about it a while back>:

Fathom Zero Apr 18th, 2007 11:11 PM

I want the box set soooo bad, but I don't feel like selling one of my kidneys to pay for it. I saw it for $52.

Zomboid Apr 19th, 2007 12:14 AM

Probably for the best. The first one is fucking great but the second isn't anywhere near as good and the third is about as good as the second.

executioneer Apr 19th, 2007 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniperwulf (Post 488206)
Apparently not by a lot of people here when I tried making a thread about it a while back>:

man i can't help it if you kept going off topic geez

Sacks Apr 19th, 2007 10:56 AM

Grindhouse.

Grislygus Apr 19th, 2007 02:31 PM

The 13th Warrior got trashed, now that I think of it.

Fuck anyone who doesn't like watching Vikings killing cannibalistic neanderthals for two hours.

JohnBoy Apr 19th, 2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 488281)

Fuck anyone who doesn't like watching Vikings killing cannibalistic neanderthals for two hours.

That movie never had a shot. It was severly edited and then shelved by the studio for more than a year. I would like to see the unedited version.

kahljorn Apr 19th, 2007 04:39 PM

That's a pretty decent movie, I didn't know it was severely edited though.

Fathom Zero Apr 19th, 2007 05:24 PM

My dad took me to see it when I was nine. Scared doesn't even begin to describe what I was.

Hahaha, from what I hear, Grindhouse never got a fair shake. I told all my friends they should see it, but they want to see Hot Fuzz instead. :( Not that Hot Fuzz is gonna be a bad movie or anything.

Supafly345 Apr 19th, 2007 05:30 PM

The Harder They Come

J. Tithonus Pednaud Apr 19th, 2007 10:51 PM

Equilibrium never got a fair shake.

Fathom Zero Apr 19th, 2007 11:01 PM

I remember seeing a lot of it because my friend is a homo for Christian Bale.

I just saw this tonight and it's still a solid movie; The House on Haunted Hill remake didn't get a fair shake.

Zomboid Apr 20th, 2007 02:13 AM

'Cause it sucks. I have the original with vincent price (I think) on one of those bargain dvds with 3 classic movies on em. I remember it being pretty good and saw it years after I saw the remake.

Also, the 13th warrior does kick a whole lot of ass. I don't know why so many people seem to hate it.

Mockery Apr 20th, 2007 05:54 AM

Quote:

I watched that just the other night when it came on TV and was reminded of how awesome it was. The main guy Buliwyf (no, not Antonio) should be in way more movies, and he should always be a Viking. That movie is 100% pure entertainment and anybody who doesn't enjoy it is outta their mind.

"You can draw sounds? Show me."

"A man might be thought wealthy if someone were to draw the story of his deeds, that they may be remembered."

Pure Awesome.

rocketsauce Apr 20th, 2007 11:39 AM

Have you read the book? It's pretty good actually with some cool details that are different from the movie.

FartinMowler Apr 20th, 2007 12:47 PM

I will claim the fact that I have sung the praise of the Thirteenth Warrior before it was "hip".

kahljorn Apr 20th, 2007 01:15 PM

you know what's a good movie and i don't know ab out fair shakes or whatever but it's called, "Primer" and it's probably not very popular but it's what i would consider a "realistic depiction" of time travel.

Zomboid Apr 20th, 2007 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockery (Post 488363)
I watched that just the other night when it came on TV and was reminded of how awesome it was. The main guy Buliwyf (no, not Antonio) should be in way more movies, and he should always be a Viking. That movie is 100% pure entertainment and anybody who doesn't enjoy it is outta their mind.

"You can draw sounds? Show me."

"A man might be thought wealthy if someone were to draw the story of his deeds, that they may be remembered."

Pure Awesome.

Yep. I actually looked that guy up on imdb a few weeks ago when I caught a glimpse of the movie on tv. That guy was the definition of badass when I first saw the movie. We need more viking action heroes :(

JohnBoy Apr 20th, 2007 02:16 PM

Ernest Borgnine is the original Viking action hero. ODIN!!!!!!!

Grislygus Apr 20th, 2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zomboid (Post 488383)
We need more viking action heroes :(

Speaking of which, if anyone tries to defend Pathfinder in this thread, I will gouge out one of their kneecaps with a rusty spoon.

FartinMowler Apr 20th, 2007 10:35 PM

I'm about to go to bed and watch one of these movies :hypno

kahljorn Apr 23rd, 2007 03:00 AM

so did anybody watch Primer yet :(

Grislygus Apr 23rd, 2007 10:35 AM

Fuck yes. Watched that about a year back. WAY too smart for me.

Protoclown Apr 24th, 2007 12:53 PM

I never understood all the hate for the 13th Warrior either. I remember when I went to go see it in the theater and coming out thinking that it fucking kicked ass, and then I found out that this friend of mine was telling people that it sucked and not to waste your time and money, and it was then that I knew I must fell him in mortal combat.

zeldasbiggestfan Apr 24th, 2007 10:00 PM

Shaun of the Dead. Anyone I ask if they like it say they hate it. I loved it.

Grislygus Apr 24th, 2007 10:19 PM

Shaun of the Dead is absolutely adored. You just live in a dangerous, crime-infested, culturally deficient rapetown, if I remember correctly.

zeldasbiggestfan Apr 24th, 2007 11:40 PM

You did.

I need to get the hell out of here.

Sam Apr 24th, 2007 11:55 PM

You really do.

Need.

To get the hell out of here.

AChimp Apr 25th, 2007 10:36 AM

13th Warrior was sweet, but I never understood why one of the Vikings was wearing armour from a conquistador other than for pure awesome.

That big dude yelling "ODIN" to hear echos from shore :love

ArrowX Apr 25th, 2007 09:43 PM

Lone Wolf McQuade. No I'm not one of those giant Chuck Norris Fans but I'll be god damned if that movie isn't entertaining.

Also DragonHeart.

Rongi Apr 25th, 2007 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supafly345 (Post 488298)
The Harder They Come

I completely agree. Fantastic crime movie with an equally good soundtrack

Grislygus May 1st, 2007 08:27 PM

Fuck the rest of the human race. I liked Walker.

kahljorn May 1st, 2007 11:18 PM

I've mentioned this is another thread before but event horizon totally didn't get a fair shake
i mean there were only one in that where i was like "wtf the decompression would've killed you whateverguysnameisicantrememberisn'titsamsomething ?" "WHAT ARE YOU DOINGGGG SAMMMM"

sam neill

ArrowX May 2nd, 2007 05:25 PM

Relic, fun monster flick from the 90's that got friggin thrashed but I love it. I'm pretty sure the Korean flick HOST stole the monsters design from Relic as well.

Fathom Zero May 2nd, 2007 05:28 PM

I can't quite read what you said through the small print on my PSP, but In The Mouth of Madness is a good'un.

ArrowX May 6th, 2007 02:19 AM

Falling Down was a fucking awesome movie but most people don't remember it much less pass around the word about how fucking awesome it is. Easily one of Michael Douglas's best performances.

J. Tithonus Pednaud May 6th, 2007 02:46 AM

I second that...I remember expecting nothing of it when I walked into the theater and being impressed.

I really liked Crash (1995), and that didn't really get a fair shake. Though I like twisted films. Kissed, about necrophilia, was another film no one saw due to the subject matter, but it was a really great and moving film.

A couple other movies include Strange Days, and Gattaca.

I just saw Zathura today, that was a fun throw away film...

Fathom Zero May 6th, 2007 10:24 AM

The Thirteenth Floor I saw today on FX is a good one and it reminded me of another, eXistenZ.

Grislygus May 6th, 2007 02:49 PM

Falling Down was awesome. I liked how they caught you completely off-guard with the humorous bits.

Fathom Zero May 6th, 2007 03:23 PM

I regret trading in my copy of Falling Down to get Trick or Treat.

I enjoy Trick or Treat a lot, but Falling Down is a good ass movie.

Supafly345 May 7th, 2007 04:33 AM

Unbreakable had a fair shake, but its still underappreciated.

executioneer May 7th, 2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 490327)
I regret trading in my copy of Falling Down to get Trick or Treat.

I enjoy Trick or Treat a lot, but Falling Down is a good ass movie.

you should have trick or treated as the guy from falling down to make up for it

Fathom Zero Jun 26th, 2007 01:15 AM

Playing God never got a fair shake.

slasher guy v1.0 Jun 30th, 2007 03:45 PM

judge dredd

this film was,granted,quite bad, but the thing is its so bad its good. i first saw it at 1 am on the sci-fi channel.i know what i said earlier about it being so bad its good made no real sense. awful acting cheap effects more errors than you can shake a f**in stick at but thats what makes it good! okay maybe not.

Fathom Zero Jun 30th, 2007 07:02 PM

About what? I didn't understand a word you said.

Fathom Zero Sep 21st, 2007 04:25 PM

Strange Days never got a fair shake.

WhiteRat Sep 21st, 2007 09:33 PM

Adventures of Pluto Nash. Quite possibly Eddie Murphy's finest performance, but sadly it goes unrecognized.

Sacks Sep 21st, 2007 10:14 PM

Meteor Man

J. Tithonus Pednaud Sep 22nd, 2007 04:26 PM

Ha! I was just thinking about that movie the other day. Found my old VHS copy of Blankman and was rattling off all the weird superhero movies from the mid 90's - during the first little boom.

Fathom Zero Sep 22nd, 2007 10:10 PM

J. Tithonus Pednaud Sep 23rd, 2007 11:27 PM

^ Yes, exactly. Not to mention The Phantom, Captain America, Black Scorpion, Judge Dredd, The Guyver, The Shadow, and Spawn. All crappy on some level yet fun to watch.

Fathom Zero Sep 24th, 2007 12:20 AM

To say that Steel is on par with Spawn and the Shadow is misleading at the very least.

But who doesn't love movies based on Marvel characters?

Zomboid Sep 24th, 2007 12:34 AM

Yeah, steel is wretched on a level all it's own. I kinda liked spawn, shadow and judge dredd, though.

Sacks Sep 24th, 2007 01:30 AM

No love for The Phantom?

Zebra 3 Oct 29th, 2007 05:40 PM

Except for Winnipeg, Canada, Phantom of the Paradise ('74) didn't get a fair shake when first released.

J. Tithonus Pednaud Oct 29th, 2007 08:34 PM

Love Phantom of the Paradise, I have the LP and dressed up as the Phantom as a kid.
Way better than Kiss's Phantom of the Park.

Blue Gularis Oct 30th, 2007 09:45 AM

The Burbs

Quote:

-JAHHHH!!! I never get tired of that one. "My mother was a pure woman and at least I know who my father is you stinking son of a whore!"

I have always felt The Burbs did not get a fair shake. It stars Oscar winner Tom Hanks for chrissakes,

Carrie Fischer is his wife (still looking not bad here)

and his buddies are Bruce Dern and Ric Duccomun.
Just pretend Corey Feldman isn't there and you'll be OK.

The bad guys are Henry Gibson, Brother Theodore

and some freaky Pinnochio mutant.

Age has not made Courtney Gaines any less freaky looking...

Henry Gibson alone makes this movie. "Ahh, we have guests. Excuse my blood."

Let's see what else- great Jerry Goldsmith theme music,
creepy neighbors who are CANNIBALS, Mr Rogers,
satanic cultists

people falling off roofs and power poles,
a dog names Landru, :lol

explosions and some pretty goddamn funny dialog.
Oh yeah, Wendy Schall
is hot.

(Here she is in some from another flick) Here's the fansite I got most of the pics from. http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Studio/3875/didyou2.html

-In closing, this is a great beer, bong and pizza flick that is worth a second watch. Underrated!

Miss Modular Oct 30th, 2007 06:44 PM

Sugar and Spice. Came out not even six months after Bring It On, and with the exception of Roger Ebert, was mostly trashed. Nobody got it. It wasn't supposed to be a cheerleading movie; it's a black comedy, and an incredibly underrated one to boot!

I saw Death Proof a week ago, and that's an underrated gem, too. What I love is that drooling fanboys who profess to be QT fans hate this one, and I love that, because they don't really get it.