I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   My Crazy Dad! (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69697025)

Jixby Phillips Jul 21st, 2007 03:51 AM

My Crazy Dad!

The first in what I INTEND to be a series. Based on a real guy, and what I'd imagine him to be like if he owned a truck and had a son. A couple of things in this are lifted directly from real life things he has said to me.

executioneer Jul 21st, 2007 04:21 PM

fantastic hahah i love your cameo in thsi

Rongi Jul 21st, 2007 07:33 PM

That was brilliant!

It was really different from your usuall style of humor. Was this based off anything?

Jixby Phillips Jul 22nd, 2007 12:53 AM

Thank you rongi!

This is based on a dude that comes to the theater all the time. He sees every movie, and then walks out and dials 911 and leaves. Specifically, the Luke Skywalker line, the Debbie Harry/Madonna line, and screaming SHIT because I asked for 25 more cents were completely real things that he has said to me in real life. Everything else I made up.

Jixby Phillips Jul 22nd, 2007 12:54 AM

whoops forgot to thank willie! WILLIE you should have asked me a question to answer! I would have thanked you easier!

haha just joshin thanks a lot willie you're a real pal!

MattJack Jul 23rd, 2007 05:29 AM

I actually laughed out loud a few times, that was great!

The best part was when he rolled down the window and called the church a cock sucker :lol

The movie was awesome too :lol

I hope you make a book of these

noob3 Jul 24th, 2007 11:41 AM

i like how he drives a toyota truck

the king of all trucks

the man has taste

Esuohlim Jul 24th, 2007 03:22 PM

I loved this, Jixby. "Catch you two lovebirds later" and "SHIT!" after seeing Jesus cracked me up. Keep it up!

Shyandquietguy Jul 24th, 2007 07:33 PM

Jixby, this was awesome. :)

Jixby Phillips Jul 24th, 2007 09:10 PM

Thanks fellas!

I would say thank you better but I am about to split on a road trip, woah! See you two lovebirds later haha

Jixby Phillips Jul 25th, 2007 10:52 PM

I'm back!

lets try this again

[font size=7]THANK YOU[/font]

Jixby Phillips Jul 25th, 2007 10:52 PM

Great!

I DID A GREAT JOB

noob3 Jul 26th, 2007 04:23 PM

it wasn't that great

Dr. V Jul 30th, 2007 03:04 AM

I loved that. That luke skywalker thing was gold. And the dog having human eyes, where did that come from?

Jixby Phillips Jul 30th, 2007 05:23 AM

Dog having human eyes was a thought I had when I saw a giant movie display for the SHAGGY DOG remake.

I thought, "THAT DOG HAS HUMAN EYES." and then I thought "IT HAS TIM ALLEN'S EYES" and then I grunted. It was great.

Dr. V Jul 30th, 2007 11:32 PM

what about ralph nig letter g er?

Jixby Phillips Jul 31st, 2007 04:49 AM

This guy is basically so scrambled he has no concept of chronology; he'd usually ask us if we were playing movies that have long since been out of theaters. Hostel, Psycho, Platoon, and Star Wars have all been requested by him. So I figure that probably extends into current events and he still holds onto his grudge with Ralph Nader for making seat belts mandatory in cars.

When I wrote that part, I for some reason thought of another incident that happened with some other batshit crazy people who used to come in. They were a husband/wife team of heroin addicts from new york, and they were both anciently old. Dealing with them was always a nightmare because the husband would do all the talking, and he had a habit of just dropping out of reality and just staring at you for about a minute before answering or doing anything. One slow weekday night I was working concession and I asked if he wanted butter on his popcorn. He took an abnormally long time to answer, even for him, which was fine because they were the only customers I had at this red-hot moment, and his wife suddenly got really upset, as if she'd been needled into getting ridiculously angry, and she shouted, way too loud and almost border-line crying, "WELL, ARE YOU GONNA ANSWER THE MAN OR SHOULD I JUST GET ON THE FLOOR AND JUST N1GGER MYSELF RIGHT HERE??"

30 seconds after his wife yelled at him, he answered my question. They sat on a bench in the lobby for 45 minutes for no reason, and went into their movie way late. About a half hour after that, he came back and asked for a receipt, which I couldn't get him because it had been well over an hour since I served him.

So yeah, Ralph Nader and the N-word were both on my mind! It seemed like a match made in heaven.

Grislygus Jul 31st, 2007 02:53 PM

Make some more, dammit

kahljorn Jul 31st, 2007 08:02 PM

these remind me of my girlfriend's dad if he was actually insane instead of just angry!

Chojin Aug 2nd, 2007 10:38 PM

this is probably the best thing I've seen in months

EndersGame Aug 2nd, 2007 11:50 PM

Hmm, I would try and clean up the dialogue a bit, its choppy and it seems a little forced. Understanding of course that he's hopelessly insane, he still needs to make sense to himself. Otherwise a decent read.

Fathom Zero Aug 3rd, 2007 02:24 AM

Well I found it a classy read!

Esuohlim Aug 3rd, 2007 02:42 AM

Haha also "crystal meth and hangin' brain" :lol

Guitar Woman Aug 3rd, 2007 03:30 AM

This is awesome

Jixby Phillips Aug 3rd, 2007 05:25 AM

Thanks everyone! I started drawing a lot this summer to impress girls at work more or less, and I'm glad it actually lead to me making a comic like this. I seriously haven't drawn a lengthy comic adventure like this since grade 6, but they were awful and always about beavis-and-butt-head-esque SLACKER DUDE types, because in 6th grade I was obsessed with a fantasy that I was a member of generation X :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by EndersGame (Post 498435)
Hmm, I would try and clean up the dialogue a bit, its choppy and it seems a little forced. Understanding of course that he's hopelessly insane, he still needs to make sense to himself. Otherwise a decent read.

I appreciate your taking the time to give me constructive criticism, but I should say that the dialogue is completely accurate when you compare it to the real guy this is based on. I know that that might not make it any better for the vast majority of people who read this comic and never met him, but it makes it better for me, and I'm really the person I care about most.

Dr. V Aug 4th, 2007 06:20 PM

Yeah the dialogue is perfect. leave it be.

Chojin Aug 4th, 2007 07:16 PM

Your art style seriously reminds me of CRACKED's comics :o

Angryhydralisk Aug 5th, 2007 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chojin (Post 498658)
Your art style seriously reminds me of CRACKED's comics :o

I actually liked this better. CRACKED has a tendency to be too loose and shitty-looking with it's art.

Makes me miss my dad more.

zeldasbiggestfan Aug 6th, 2007 01:30 AM

The church girl crying made me lol for about 5 minutes.

Jixby Phillips Aug 6th, 2007 03:52 AM

Woah guys stop it with the compliments you're gonna swell my head up!!!

You are all very kind I can't wait to get back into the thick of things and start drawing up a storm for you guys again !!!

Dr. V Aug 6th, 2007 04:19 AM

JIXBY THIS IS SO DAMN FUNNY! MY GOD I CAN'T LOOK AWAY!
Nah just kidding.

No seriously, I see this being really popular,

Rez Aug 6th, 2007 03:46 PM

CATCH YOU TWO LOVEBIRDS LATER.

haha. i love it.

Emu Aug 7th, 2007 09:55 AM

I could see that guy going home every day to some obsessively large collection of some mundane thing like beer cans or clocks

MLE Aug 7th, 2007 08:16 PM

I haven't commented on this yet.

I like it.

Jixby Phillips Aug 8th, 2007 12:02 AM

THANKS GUYS :eek

I should let everyone know that the more they like this, the more I'll like you! so just think about that okay

MLE Aug 8th, 2007 12:27 AM

I've commented on this before.

I love it.

Jixby Phillips Aug 8th, 2007 02:33 PM

Woah :eek

noob3 Aug 9th, 2007 04:16 AM

can you please have a panel where he talks about his toyota being a really good truck

MLE Aug 9th, 2007 12:33 PM

Lol ;<

liquidstatik Aug 16th, 2007 01:50 PM

i like these jixby, gj! :D

MLE Aug 21st, 2007 08:30 PM

Jixby, you are required to make more. Immediately.

Cfr5 Aug 21st, 2007 11:40 PM

Seriously. When should the next be expected by?

Dr. V Aug 28th, 2007 12:53 AM

Ya jixby make another. I need to know how much this guy loves his truck.

FartinMowler Aug 28th, 2007 08:05 AM

That reminded me of the Freak bro's comix...nice job Jixby :rock

DuFresne Aug 29th, 2007 01:26 AM

Crap, I feel ashamed for not noticing this thread earlier. :( Great job, Jixby! This is the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

You do meet some messed-up people while working at these kinds of jobs. I had to deal with an old couple that was almost exactly like the one you described earlier. The man had decent cognition with poor verbal abilities, and the woman could speek clearly but with some very rusty gears upstairs. It wouldn't be so bad if crappy customers like these weren't invariably regulars to whatever place you're working at. :\ Like they're caught in a time loop and absolutely must go to the same places everyday.

MLE Sep 2nd, 2007 01:41 AM

ExCUUUUUUse jixby. WHERE is this next installment? This was due last Friday.

:tapsfootimpatiently

GADZOOKS Sep 2nd, 2007 11:26 AM

Jixby just moved away from Redding. It is going to be some time until he gets settled before he can make you all laugh again.

In the meantime entertain yourself with this soundclip of Jixby at his new job: http://www.novirginsallowed.com/misc/Deaf%20Kids%20Class.mp3

Jixby Phillips Sep 2nd, 2007 02:17 PM

Yes it is true! I haven't really drawn much lately because this past month I've either been frantically looking for an apartment, moving, or settling in to my new apartment. I actually didn't draw ANYTHING in my sketchbook all of august. The only thing I really drew was this picture of my friend Andrew:

I have ideas for a second installment but I don't want to ruin the series. I seriously doubt any of the next installments will be as good as the first. The first had a LOT of happy accidents that vastly improved my original ideas.

Dr. V Sep 3rd, 2007 12:24 AM

Did he get served In and out or something?

Jixby Phillips Sep 3rd, 2007 12:43 AM

His friend snuck in some booze in an in-and-out cup (I think) and gave it to him at work. Andrew took a big chug not knowing what it was until after he gulped it down. He got buzzed and wandered into the theater showing YOU GOT SERVED, and a break-dancing competition broke out in the theater. Everyone started chanting SERVED SERVED SERVED, and Andrew joined in the chanting.

That is the story behind that drawing!

MrAdventure Sep 3rd, 2007 06:19 AM

hey dude i meant to post a lot earlier but this was fantastic! i read it three times at least!

Jixby Phillips Sep 3rd, 2007 07:05 AM

Thank you Mr. Adventure you mean the world to me!!!!

Magreaux Sep 4th, 2007 04:59 PM

I have to agree with everyone here, this is great work. I hope you'll continue with this kind of narrative presentation because I think it suits your style of humour very well.

MLE Sep 12th, 2007 01:24 PM

Jixby,

Good to hear from you! I hope all is going well with your move! How are the kids?

Kindly,
MLE

Dr. V Dec 11th, 2007 06:15 AM

Alright, I've been patient. But now I demand you draw another one. Get to work.

Jixby Phillips Dec 12th, 2007 02:27 AM

Would you settle for something completely different?

http://www.geocities.com/jixby_phill...sertblues.html

Guitar Woman Dec 12th, 2007 03:50 AM

That was fantastic :<

Dr. V Dec 12th, 2007 06:08 AM

Lol, I searched for that video. Nothin'. I enjoyed that. I still miss "Dad" though.

MLE Dec 12th, 2007 08:51 PM

as long as this turns out to be a series of "My Crazy _____", then i'm good!

Rongi Dec 12th, 2007 09:13 PM

that was great!

i still liked my crazy dad more though. that guy is just so god damn loveable

Jixby Phillips Dec 13th, 2007 09:51 PM

Thanks guys!

I actually started writing a second Crazy Dad, but I think I took the wrong approach and wrote it like a screenplay. When I sat down and wrote this last one by drawing a rough version while writing it I was a lot more successful. Also, the second Crazy Dad focuses a lot more on the kid, and people are probably not gonna like that.

Dr. V Dec 14th, 2007 02:01 AM

No. We're not. Don't upset your core fanbase Jixby.

Esuohlim Dec 14th, 2007 02:08 AM

JIXBY YOU SHIT GOLD AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED. You should be more well-known on and off the internet and this isn't just lame kiss-assing this is actual concern that you're not more famous than you currently are.

Dr. V Dec 14th, 2007 07:06 AM

Don't forget about us as you sore into mediocre internet fame and end up on best week ever.