I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Creation Museum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69702721)

Kitsa Aug 9th, 2009 09:25 PM

The Creation Museum

http://creationmuseum.org/

It's about an hour from me, just across the Kentucky border. I really want to go, I've been campaigning for it. I've seen glimpses of it in Religulous and I think one of those travel shows with the family with 18 kids, and I want to see if it's all it's hyped to be. I hear they have a stegosaurus with a saddle on it. And a petting zoo full of zebra crossbreeds.

They also say they have a non-evolutionary explanation for drug resistant bacteria. I'd like to see that.

Their wikipedia page says a "Cincinnati area family" donated $1M toward the $25M total for construction. I bet it was these people. (The Big Butter Jesus people)

My family and significant other seem afraid to go on the grounds that religion is contagious.

Well, and the ticket prices are a little insane.

darkvare Aug 9th, 2009 09:32 PM

the dinosaur den looks awesome

Colonel Flagg Aug 9th, 2009 09:44 PM

These idiots must have LOVED "Ice Age - Dawn of the Dinosaurs". And they probably also think "The Flintstones" is a documentary.

:rolleyes

Kitsa Aug 9th, 2009 09:46 PM

I feel sorry for the zebra that had to do a bunch of horses and donkeys just so some tourists could gawp at the stripes.

Colonel Flagg Aug 9th, 2009 09:59 PM

I was recently reading a magazine (don't ask, I can't remember :() where a leading evolutionary biologist is campagning against calling evolution a theory, arguing it gives these wingnuts space to advance their "theories" of creation and intelligent design (please!). Evolution, she argues is a demonstratable scientific principle, and any "modifications" to it are in fact refinements on the principle, and not wholesale changes in a "theory".

Unfortunately, I believe she's beating a dead horse. Most evangelicals are morons who have to be hit over the head with a lead brick to be convinced that it hurts when you do that. :\

Kitsa Aug 9th, 2009 10:04 PM

Normally I'm inclined to leave well enough alone. Lots of the avenues don't matter because we're here now and just have to get through it. If God gets you through it, great. If being a militant atheist gets you through it, great. Do your thing as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

So I'm ok enough with the creation museum existing, if that's what people who are so inclined want to do with their money and time. I have a science background myself and I'm not inclined, but it's always interesting to see what other people come up with.

I guess if I was a little meaner I could say it's like watching "Kids Say the Darnedest Things", but I hate to be that disrespectful about religion.

Colonel Flagg Aug 9th, 2009 10:50 PM

I admit that its existence will not affect me in the slightest, nor most likely the future of mankind, but it sticks in my craw. Hearing the foolishness makes me extremely upset, as I have aspirations after retirement to go into science education. I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it. :(

Evil Robot Aug 9th, 2009 10:54 PM

We all know life started when a meteor hit the previous empire of Mars and sent contaminated debris flying into Earth.

DevilWearsPrada Aug 10th, 2009 04:01 AM

That wouldn't have started life, it would've transferred it to a different planet

Fathom Zero Aug 10th, 2009 09:36 AM

I don't believe that biological material couldn't be warped in some way when travelling through space. Cause that's dumb.

DevilWearsPrada Aug 10th, 2009 01:31 PM

I suppose the burning of oxygen or hydrogen would keep any extremeophile bacterial life deep in a crater or something in the meteor sustained, but that is a little too crazy to work

RaNkeri Aug 10th, 2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsa (Post 640808)
I hear they have a stegosaurus with a saddle on it.

Seriously? :x

EDIT:

And with this do you mean

a) a stegosaur that kids can ride so parents can take pictures

b) The museum theorizing that people used dinosaurs as mounts?

DevilWearsPrada Aug 10th, 2009 02:24 PM

probably the second answer, creationists are fucking retarded

Kitsa Aug 10th, 2009 02:27 PM

I believe it was probably all of the above.

DevilWearsPrada Aug 10th, 2009 02:28 PM

case in point,

Colonel Flagg Aug 10th, 2009 02:55 PM

It's a place right out of history!

Kitsa Aug 10th, 2009 05:51 PM

My bad, it's a triceratops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cr...ops_saddle.jpg

Wiffle Bat Aug 10th, 2009 06:13 PM

I wanna go there so bad o.o

Colonel Flagg Aug 10th, 2009 07:33 PM

Who could forget those early American pioneers, throwing all worldly goods in a covered wagon and heading west, hitched to their Diplodocus.\

PS - @Kitsa: love the goober going "Yeee Haw!" in the pic.

Kitsa Aug 10th, 2009 07:41 PM

Well, there is that part in the Old Testament where Joseph's brothers dipped his coat in gryposaurus blood in order to fool Jacob.

EDIT:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/arti...-and-the-bible

"
The story we have all heard from movies, television, newspapers, and most magazines and textbooks is that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago. According to evolutionists, the dinosaurs “ruled the Earth” for 140 million years, dying out about 65 million years ago. However, scientists do not dig up anything labeled with those ages. They only uncover dead dinosaurs (i.e., their bones), and their bones do not have labels attached telling how old they are. The idea of millions of years of evolution is just the evolutionists’ story about the past. No scientist was there to see the dinosaurs live through this supposed dinosaur age. In fact, there is no proof whatsoever that the world and its fossil layers are millions of years old. No scientist observed dinosaurs die. Scientists only find the bones in the here and now, and because many of them are evolutionists, they try to fit the story of the dinosaurs into their view."

Colonel Flagg Aug 10th, 2009 08:37 PM

Oh, well, that settles it then. :dunce

captain516 Aug 10th, 2009 09:54 PM

lol creationists

Colonel Flagg Aug 10th, 2009 10:02 PM

Aaaaah, I guess I can let them have their fun. They can waste their money building that shit, as long as my tax dollars don't support it.

Kitsa Aug 11th, 2009 08:47 AM

apparently the Cincinnati Zoo tried to partner with them for a promotion and the public outcry was so great they dropped it after 2 days.

Fathom Zero Aug 11th, 2009 08:59 AM

It's strange to me that they would even consider such a thing. I mean, Cincinnati even has superheroes.