I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   SCARY GAMES! (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69697924)

Emu Oct 10th, 2007 12:25 PM

SCARY GAMES!

When I was a kid I distinctly recall being driven-to-tears horrified by several games on the NES. I don't know what it was; perhaps the surreal, obscured way in which certain things were rendered with all the might of 8 bits. In particular, Sunsoft games seem to have been the scariest, specifically Blaster Master and Gremlins 2: The New Batch. Especially in Blaster Master where you fight your frog only he's mutated into a giant purple abomination with three eyes.

WHAT GAMES SCARED YOU?

Supafly345 Oct 10th, 2007 02:21 PM

On the NES? I dunno, Ring King was pretty scary.

Chojin Oct 10th, 2007 02:23 PM

I was terrified of this one karate game :<

on the atari x800 i was mortified of B.C.'s Quest For Tires

mew barios Oct 10th, 2007 04:40 PM

shadowgate. also the first time i played castlevania was in the middle of the night and the doll sprouting a medusa head freaked me out.

i had nightmares about vanguard on the 2600 :o

DeadKennedys Oct 10th, 2007 05:49 PM

Out of this World (and some 3D collect Nessy's eggs game I played at an aquarium) is why I have an intense and irrational fear of the ocean and deep swimming pools.

Anyone remember Hugo's House of Horrors? Scary shit when you're 3.

Zomboid Oct 10th, 2007 06:42 PM

Splatterhouse 3 when I was a wee lad.

Supafly345 Oct 10th, 2007 08:40 PM

Oh yeah, if we are going to delve into post NES then yeah, Ecco has always bothered me. The deeper that dolphin swam the harder it was to play.

Uncle_Sham Oct 10th, 2007 09:56 PM

Wolfenstein for PC, the sounds were creepy as fuck.

MLE Oct 10th, 2007 10:15 PM

don't let chojin fool you. he still won't play the original resident evil alone in the dark.

Edit: the game I was the most scared of when I was a kid was when I was playing one Hugo game and I was captured by the witch doctor and I couldn't get out. Like, for months. That scared me and every time I booted it up I was like :< and turned it off again.

That witch doctor scared the shit out of me with how fast he could move.

Guitar Woman Oct 10th, 2007 11:59 PM

Ecco the Dolphin is some scary shit.

OoT was the first game to ever scare me to the point where I would not play it at night. Wallmasters were one of the worst offenders. :<

Mario 64's chomp piano was pretty freaky shit, too.

Guitar Woman Oct 11th, 2007 12:10 AM

Also, I forgot FF7. I would be on the point of wetting myself whenever I'd come back from doing something and find that Sephiroth had mercilessly slaughtered everyone in the area and then the stupid fucks decided to go LOOK FOR HIM. Don't even get me started on the headless Jenova in the Shrina Building, either. :[

Schimid Oct 11th, 2007 02:24 AM

Out of This World is still pretty freaky to me, too.

There's a game out there called Time Traveler that I'm still a little shaky about. It was an action game sort of like Dragon's Lair, only with fake holographs and real people. Not only were there moments of intense pressure, but when you'd make the wrong move, a giant, skeletal cowboy head would appear and chatter it's teeth at you before showing you your usually gruesome demise.

One death had a tomahawk going through your players head, in another a rather large woman broke all of your bones, etc.

ItalianStereotype Oct 11th, 2007 02:44 AM

Uninvited was terrifying when I was a kid ;<

that ghost lady is still pretty creepy if you don't know what to expect!

Guitar Woman Oct 12th, 2007 06:53 AM

Supafly345 Oct 14th, 2007 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schimid (Post 506688)
There's a game out there called Time Traveler that I'm still a little shaky about. It was an action game sort of like Dragon's Lair, only with fake holographs and real people. Not only were there moments of intense pressure, but when you'd make the wrong move, a giant, skeletal cowboy head would appear and chatter it's teeth at you before showing you your usually gruesome demise.

One death had a tomahawk going through your players head, in another a rather large woman broke all of your bones, etc.

Holy crap was that game hard to find. I remember always wanting to play it baad just because it didn't have a monitor and the characters looked like they were floating in the middle of the little cube thing. SO COOL.

DeadKennedys Oct 14th, 2007 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitar Woman (Post 506667)
OoT was the first game to ever scare me to the point where I would not play it at night. Wallmasters were one of the worst offenders. :<

I was ready for the wallmasters, but in M'sM the transformation scenes really got me the first couple of times.

DuFresne Oct 14th, 2007 07:19 PM

Mario 64: The picture of Peach that turns into Bowser, and the Endless Stairway. I think I had nighmares of the latter. Freaky shit. :chatter

I couldn't play Doom with the sound on until I was well into high school. I'd just turn on the local pop station. Demons are allergic to Hanson.

HickMan Oct 14th, 2007 09:39 PM

All I remember from Ecco is those freaky alien things in the water that moved super fast. Those scared me :(.

Also, when I was playing Diablo for the first time at my cousin's house and the Butcher came out of nowhere and said 'MMM FRESH MEAT.'

DuFresne Oct 14th, 2007 10:27 PM

Oh, and pretty much any game or section of a game with infinitely respawning enemies. That's why the original Turok always got to me. :(

Guitar Woman Oct 16th, 2007 05:39 AM

I remember playing the hell out of the Thief demos as a kid, and they always scared the piss out of me. I recently torrented the first and second games and it's a good thing I was never able to play the later levels back then. :<

Girl Drink Drunk Oct 23rd, 2007 12:17 AM

That loud screeching sound that Lavos made in Chrono Trigger (amongst the dead silence) creeped the fuck out of me (at least as far as early creepy video game moments go). That and Scorpion's Fatality in Mortal Kombat, due to being scared to death of skeletons back in the day.

EisigerBiskuit Oct 23rd, 2007 01:58 PM

Police Quest, Doom, Zelda II Siezures, and drowning in Sonic gave me night terrors.

Chojin Oct 23rd, 2007 04:22 PM

Main Entry: night ter·rors
Pronunciation: -'ter-&rz
Function: noun plural
: a sudden awakening in dazed terror that occurs in children during slow-wave sleep, is often preceded by a sudden shrill cry uttered in sleep, and is not remembered when the child awakes called also pavor nocturnus

EisigerBiskuit Oct 23rd, 2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

ter-&rz
Night tururs.

DuFresne Oct 23rd, 2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EisigerBiskuit (Post 508277)
drowning in Sonic

Oh totally agreed! The music when the countdown runs had to have been composed by Satan himself.