I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   watchmen movie (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69700200)

darkvare Jul 18th, 2008 01:53 PM

watchmen movie

finally a date and a trailer
www.watchmenmovie.com

pac-man Jul 18th, 2008 03:20 PM

Saw the trailer before The Dark Knight, and all I can say is fuckin' A. I know it won't live up to the novel, but I don't necessarily want it to. I just want to see the cool parts in motion, and it looks like it will deliver on that. If should happen to capture the mood and message of the novel, that'll be icing on the cake.

Nick Jul 18th, 2008 08:12 PM

I just read the script from 1989. It sucked.

Guitar Woman Jul 18th, 2008 09:11 PM

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Looked pretty, didn't really grab me.

Zack Snyder must also really, really enjoy Baywatch.

I was also eager for a demonstration of how Rorsharch's mask is going to work on film, and I wish they'd shown him for more than one second in the trailer.

Nick Jul 18th, 2008 09:46 PM

I mean in the 1989 script, they changed the ending completely! No giant fake aliens! Time Travel!

Fathom Zero Jul 18th, 2008 09:53 PM

Looks mildly intersting since I've never read the book.

Nick Jul 18th, 2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 569531)
Looks mildly intersting since I've never read the book.

Get out.

Fathom Zero Jul 18th, 2008 10:05 PM

Fuck you.

Guitar Woman Jul 18th, 2008 10:11 PM

now you've done it

I only ever sort of liked Watchmen, myself. Yeah, the story's great and the amount of symbolism and allegory is fucking ridiculous, that's why I like it. My criticism is that most of the characters irritated me, despite (and partly because of) how realistic their psyches were. Rorsharch is by far the most awesome person in the comic, but even people who liked the other characters would agree with me on that.

That said, Watchmen is still the only comic I've ever actually purchased, and the special edition I got was loaded with all kinds of interesting extras!

executioneer Jul 19th, 2008 03:50 AM

that trailer looks pretty badass :( unfortunately, there's no way to be sure whether or not the trailer's awesomeness has anything to do with how good/bad the movie will be

MLE Jul 20th, 2008 04:51 AM

Fathom, come on now. If you have the slightest interest in comics, Watchmen is a must-read and probably must-own. I barely read comics, and I own Watchmen and read it about every three or four months. That wasn't uncalled for, but wasn't the nicest way to tell you that it was a fairly unacceptable thing to see in this thread.

MetalMilitia Jul 20th, 2008 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by executioneer (Post 569581)
that trailer looks pretty badass :( unfortunately, there's no way to be sure whether or not the trailer's awesomeness has anything to do with how good/bad the movie will be

Yeah like with 300 I liked the trailer way more than the actual film. :/

bigtimecow Jul 20th, 2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 569535)
Get out.

i've always heard about watchmen, and how it's one of the best graphic novels ever, if not the best. but at the same time, i feel like i shouldn't read it before the movie comes out so that way i can judge the movie as a film in itself, and not get pissed off at how much it deters from the comic

Fathom Zero Jul 20th, 2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLE (Post 569721)
Fathom, come on now. If you have the slightest interest in comics, Watchmen is a must-read and probably must-own.

I don't really. I don't like to look at things because of people telling me how good it is. It really really irritates me.

I said the movie looked cool. Are we assuming that the movie was made solely for the enjoyment of comic book readers? As big an audience as that is, they'd be leaving out quite a bit of the market.

MLE Jul 20th, 2008 11:01 PM

With such a large no-longer-cult following, you can expect to hear a bit of flack if you come in and say something that includes "since i've never read the book". It usually makes the top most influential books list, so if you're a reader at all, it's honestly a widely-accepted great book. I would go into a borders sometime and take a look at maybe the first couple of pages and see if it interests you.

Nick Jul 21st, 2008 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigtimecow (Post 569791)
i've always heard about watchmen, and how it's one of the best graphic novels ever, if not the best. but at the same time, i feel like i shouldn't read it before the movie comes out so that way i can judge the movie as a film in itself, and not get pissed off at how much it deters from the comic

You should really read the comic first, no matter how good the movie is, there is no way it could ever truly live up to the comic book. You just have to take it with a grain of salt.

Fathom Zero Jul 21st, 2008 12:45 AM

Granted, I'll read it sooner or later.

Kybo Ren Jul 21st, 2008 01:20 PM

I really thought they would sit on Dr M until last ad push.
still looks better than I thought it would eventually be.

Rez Jul 21st, 2008 10:03 PM

preview for watchmen reminded me watchmen existed.
when i still read comics i took a glance at it. i didnt like the art, i wasnt interested and i didnt catch anything to keep me hooked. its not like i smarted up tremendously since then, but maybe it was just a bad day. who knows. i took it to be one of those books everyone shot their load over for what it did to comics and less about the actual story itself. it was just "one of those things" i was too disconnected from to appreciate.

anyway, having bought dark knight tickets in advance, i had time to kill, i went in borders, picked it up, read the first three chapters and kicked myself for not giving this another shot sooner. book's amazing. i'm not full on blown away, and guitar womans assessment seems pretty spot on, but i really enjoyed it.
not caught up in how the movie will work, but so far im leaning toward it being almost impossible to make a satisfactory adaptation, although it seems to have more film-friendly moments than moore lets on.

LordSappington Jul 21st, 2008 10:37 PM

Every time I go to Half Price Books, they don't have ANYTHING for Watchmen. It makes me feel left out.

ScruU2wice Jul 23rd, 2008 10:23 PM

I might get shit for this but the ending to the book was oh so weak.

pac-man Jul 24th, 2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScruU2wice (Post 570519)
I might get shit for this but the ending to the book was oh so weak.

How so?

Nick Jul 25th, 2008 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pac-man (Post 570572)
How so?

He's still mad about Rorschach.

ScruU2wice Jul 25th, 2008 01:02 AM

spoilers

ok. so I got that the entire time there were clues to this giant fake squid monster being dropped to bring world peace by making everyone in the world have a common enemy.

personally:

a) if you find that concept of people uniting for a common cause thing interesting, there was no elaboration with the moral concept of sacrificing the lives of a city for the sake of this common goal. basically it was down to rorschach, Dr. M and some other kats heading to the pole to confront Ozymandias. ozymandias does his super villan thing, which everyone is totally down with except rorschach, who storms out in a hissy fit. Dr. Manhattan kills him and turns into god for some universe. They spend almost no time confronting the issue of guaranteeing the death of millions of people in order to prevent the possible death of millions of people. weak trade off in my book.

b) I didn't find the united under alien attack concept interesting.
it seriously boils down the psyche of entire nations to waaaaaaaaaaay too simple on off switch. like russia will have its memory completely erased about who they trust or distrust. On top of that the whole thing was to have the two super powers reduce their nuclear arms, If I'm pissing my pants over an alien attack I'm gonna build my arsenal, not tear it down. I just thought that it was an incredibly short sighted solution from someone who is suppose to be the most intelligent guy in the world

ScruU2wice Jul 25th, 2008 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 570633)
He's still mad about Rorschach.

spoilers

I don't give a shit if people die at the end of story. rorschach dying at the end presented no dillema to me. it was that no one besides him really put up any moral resignation to the soliloquize that went down.

ozymandia: "so I killed half of new york. but it was necessary, we might be at war soon and people could die then, (kinda like they just did), I just bought us a couple years and city where half the people are dead and the other half are insane. you guys can thank me later"

rorschach: "yo, I'm not cool with that, I'm splittin"

everyone else: "I don't know rorschach, we do have our asses kicked and this schmuck sounds pretty smart, I'm sure a fear induced world peace is better than a fear induced not-quite-war-yet."

the love scene was kind of frumpy too, but that's just a side note