I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Underrated Bands (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4801)

The One and Only... Jul 24th, 2003 02:21 PM

Underrated Bands

Downthesun: nu-metal done well. Despite the fact that clown from Slipknot produced their only album, it comes off very well. Listen to it.

Devin Townsend/Strapping Young Lad: I don't think I need say anything. If you haven't heard them, listen to both.

Exhumed: One of the great bands of crusty, grindy death metal. Awesome music. They should be one of the great influential bands.

Dark Funeral: Okay - they do sound like normal BM. But that's the beauty of the band: they play old-school, fast BM extraordinarily well. In a day and age where "original" BM bands are commonplace, Dark Funeral really stands out.

Zero Signal Jul 24th, 2003 02:33 PM

Machines of Loving Grace - dark industrial/techno. Their "Concentration" album is one my favorites of all time. An essay can be written on the meaning behind each song, which are very cryptic but very intelligent.

Iron Savior - German power metal band. Material is kind of weird, like mythological themes (that span the entire album; conceptual). Very well written lyrics and music.

The KLF - The best techno/dance music EVER. The two guys behind is are artistic masters and know EXACTLY what they are doing, musically or business-wise.

Therion - In short, the best operatic metal ever conceived. "Secret of the Runes", each song written about the nine worlds of the Norse, is a pure masterpiece.

I agree on Devin Townsend. I have the Ocean Machine album, and the production is stellar along with being good music.

Bennett Jul 24th, 2003 02:43 PM

Zapp.

crash0814 Jul 24th, 2003 04:51 PM

The Minutemen. What a great band. Jazz-punk kicks ass!

The One and Only... Jul 24th, 2003 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero Signal
Therion - In short, the best operatic metal ever conceived. "Secret of the Runes", each song written about the nine worlds of the Norse, is a pure masterpiece.

Check out the band Ashes to Ashes, specifically their song New World Obscure.

Royal Tenenbaum Jul 24th, 2003 07:57 PM

the beatles.

The Retro Kat Jul 24th, 2003 10:24 PM

moe.
Béla Fleck and the Flecktones
Yonder Mountain String Band

Drew Katsikas Jul 24th, 2003 10:32 PM

The feelies, unquestionably.

Perndog Jul 24th, 2003 10:59 PM

Blind Guardian. I saw these guys in St. Paul last winter, and they were amazing. :rock

And I can hardly find anyone else who listens to either of these groups.

Running Wild, too, but to a lesser extent..I might just like them because they play pirate music. :pirate

CastroMotorOil Jul 25th, 2003 12:46 AM

Pantera

Miss Modular Jul 25th, 2003 01:05 AM

Goldfrapp
Broadcast
The Gossip
Neko Case

Ooner Jul 25th, 2003 05:31 AM

I would like this thread if it were about bands that are at least sort of well-known but still underappreciated.

We should have an unknown band thread too.

Or maybe I just suck at knowing things.

WorthlessLiar Jul 25th, 2003 04:41 PM

underrated

Hum - Great band. I've been listening to them non-stop for the past few weeks.

I'll second Blind Guardian. Pern Dog, I was at that very same show at The Lab! They kicked giant ass.

Also:

Sunny Day Real Estate
VAST

Drew Katsikas Jul 25th, 2003 11:49 PM

oops, can't forget the shadowy men on a shadowy planet. Kids in the hall theme for all you infidels.

crash0814 Jul 26th, 2003 12:14 AM

I love the Kids in the Hall theme. Who does it?

Drew Katsikas Jul 26th, 2003 12:20 AM

Duh, I said the shadowy men on a shadowy planet, you stoop head. If you needa download the songs you can get em off me on soulseek, miraclelegion15.

Perndog Jul 26th, 2003 02:07 AM

There aren't many well-known bands named in this thread because being well-known means they have tons of fans and are therefore already pretty highly-rated.

But if we want to get into popular groups who should get more props, I'm all for Guns N' Roses. Yes, Axl Rose is a phenomenal asshole, which is at least part of the reason the band broke up and most of the reason his new project is still not off the ground. But Guns N' Roses were the rock and roll band of their time. Guns N' Roses were rocking and breaking shit while the glam rockers were putting on makeup, and they were still rocking and enjoying themselves when grunge began, musicians became sullen and moody, and musicianship got left behind. They recorded Appetite for Destruction, one of the best rock albums of all time. Axl Rose wrote November Rain - and November Rain, in my opinion, is as good as or better than Stairway to Heaven, only it doesn't have the benefit of being part of Led Zeppelin's catalog or being old (which apparently makes rock music good and worth talking about).

Now the underrated part. GNR isn't old enough for the classic rock fans and isn't new enough for younger folks, so they don't get enough respect from enough people. But they were the last great rock band - name a rock album post 1980 that can stand up to Appetite for Destruction (not metal, mind you).

Perndog Jul 26th, 2003 02:09 AM

There aren't many well-known bands named in this thread because being well-known means they have tons of fans and are therefore already pretty highly-rated.

But if we want to get into popular groups who should get more props, I'm all for Guns N' Roses. Yes, Axl Rose is a phenomenal asshole, which is at least part of the reason the band broke up and most of the reason his new project is still not off the ground. But Guns N' Roses were the rock and roll band of their time. Guns N' Roses were rocking and breaking shit while the glam rockers were putting on makeup, and they were still rocking and enjoying themselves when grunge began, musicians became sullen and moody, and musicianship got left behind. They recorded Appetite for Destruction, one of the best rock albums of all time. Axl Rose wrote November Rain - and November Rain, in my opinion, is as good as or better than Stairway to Heaven, only it doesn't have the benefit of being part of Led Zeppelin's catalog or being old (which apparently makes rock music good and worth talking about).

Now the underrated part. GNR isn't old enough for the classic rock fans and isn't new enough for younger folks, so they don't get enough respect from enough people. But they were the last great rock band - name a rock album post 1980 that can stand up to Appetite for Destruction (not metal, mind you).

crash0814 Jul 26th, 2003 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewKatsikas
Duh, I said the shadowy men on a shadowy planet, you stoop head. If you needa download the songs you can get em off me on soulseek, miraclelegion15.

I thought that was the name of the song. I is all confoozed.

Royal Tenenbaum Jul 26th, 2003 12:26 PM

What a dumbass. :lol

crash0814 Jul 26th, 2003 12:28 PM

Hey Royal, let's play the "Not Speak" game. It would make everyone you know much happier.

Perndog Jul 26th, 2003 11:57 PM

http://www.i-mockery.net/viewtopic.php?p=87705#87705

Les Waste Jul 27th, 2003 12:37 AM

Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros

Ninjavenom Jul 27th, 2003 12:59 AM

Unleashed are nifty.

Royal Tenenbaum Jul 27th, 2003 06:59 PM

crashmale69 is such a fag. :lol get a life.