I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   I-Mockery's Tribute To Toxic High School Trading Cards (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69699630)

MockBot Apr 28th, 2008 03:30 PM

I-Mockery's Tribute To Toxic High School Trading Cards

Automatically generated comment thread for I-Mockery's Tribute To Toxic High School Trading Cards.

Julio Apr 28th, 2008 04:04 PM

I swear I would have cried if I ever found the principal bringing down the high school building with heavy duty machinery. As for the rest... I guess that having a "French" class would have made the schedule a lot more fun.

Tayeloquin Apr 28th, 2008 04:07 PM

ew...never like gross humor cards. I guess the fun is just lost on me.

On a side note, I was looking at my Netfix, and there's a Garbage Pail Kid's Movie?

what?

mburbank Apr 28th, 2008 04:50 PM

The art looks like the amazing Friedman brothers! Do you know if it is?

10,000 Volt Ghost Apr 28th, 2008 06:39 PM

I love Shemp rules in card #9. I keep telling people Shemp from the 3 stooges is the best one. At least someone knows whats up.

Julio Apr 28th, 2008 06:45 PM

Tayeloquin: I don't like all those gross humor cards either. I had to skip some of them as my eyeballs were paifully consumed by some nasty examples, but some were OK and quite hilarious. #21, for example, is completely modest in humor.

Julio Apr 28th, 2008 06:49 PM

RoG: It actually looks like the dog in #16 is driving the bus, as the alleged driver is blind.

Samfucius Apr 28th, 2008 08:00 PM

Is it just me, or did the artists seem to have a strange affinity for brass knuckles?

I saw a good number of them, at least more than I would expect.

Doctor_Who Apr 28th, 2008 08:25 PM

I actually remember these! They will never dislodge GPK and Wacky Packages from their central place in my heart, but I loved them just the same.

Tetsu Deinonychus Apr 29th, 2008 01:08 AM

OMG! This is the best Trading card set ever!

It truly is a shame that these are overlooked as they even surpass such classics as GPK and Mar's Attacks in many areas.

It's also a fairly accurate portrayal of High School life.

BTW anybody else think this would make a great cartoon?

Tayeloquin Apr 29th, 2008 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mburbank (Post 552176)

I don't know if it is the Friedman brothers or not. It does smack of them though.

Being a card collector most of my life (hockey generally) I've never seen these cards out. Wal-Mart usually has the collector cards all lumped together...I wouldn't have bought them though....

Tetsu Deinonychus Apr 29th, 2008 03:57 AM

The "grossness" doesn't impress me half as much as the dead-on satire of one's High-School years. IMO, The funniest cards were the ones like #15.

Mystik Tomato Apr 29th, 2008 08:18 AM

EGGS!

saturnknight Apr 29th, 2008 09:53 AM

DUDE!!! i like these cards, i wish i had the collection, all i have are Garbage Pail Kids and the early 90's complete Wacky Packages collection

Icculus Apr 29th, 2008 10:30 AM

According to card 13 the zip code for Toxictown puts them NJ...seems about right.

Colonel Flagg Apr 29th, 2008 10:56 AM

An heroic effort, -Rog-, thanks. Eggs! (poached)

Nick Apr 29th, 2008 11:37 AM

These cards were too awesome for your scanner to handle.

neoboman Apr 29th, 2008 02:18 PM

Not only was a head of cabbage principal, it was principal for eight years.

Anti.5 Apr 29th, 2008 03:44 PM

These are fucking incredible. Awesome.

Brunbb Apr 29th, 2008 05:30 PM

What's with the casual vomiting? You'd think they would have look of disgust or pain or SOMETHING on their face, but these people just projectile vomit like it's nothing.

Shrubfest Apr 29th, 2008 06:53 PM

And who one earth has that consistancy of vomit? Really, it's quite scary.

Thinking about it, considering the menu, it probably makes sense...

greenimp Apr 30th, 2008 09:00 AM

i must admit, those cafateria ladys do have that "just another day at work" look about them, hell, that looked better than whats on offer in our canteen

Tadao May 5th, 2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Rog...?

Mockery May 6th, 2008 01:11 AM

Quote:

Ok, I finally tracked down some information about the creators of the set:

"Editor: Mark Newgarden. Sr. Writers: Drew Friedman, John Mariano, Mark Newgarden. Character design and pencils: Drew Friedman. Painters: Tom Bunk, Pat Pigott, John Pound, Walter Velez, Xno. Additional writers: Jordon Bockhanis, Jay Lynch, Russ Reiley, Beth Pearson."

So yeah, it does look like at least one of the Friedman brothers worked on it Max. Good eye! John Pound, who is probably the most famous artist from the Garbage Pail Kids, also worked on it which might explain how there were several little nods to the GPK series in the Toxic High set.

Tadao May 6th, 2008 07:49 PM

I miss my Wacky Packy collection. I gave it to my little brother and he plastered them all over his school books. He feels bad to this day, but I flinched once when I saw his books and learned not to care about things you give to people.