I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   I'M LEFT HANDED SO SHUT UP (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69706029)

Kitsa Feb 15th, 2011 11:18 PM

I'M LEFT HANDED SO SHUT UP

I have a chalkboard hanging in my kitchen. I change it seasonally, usually with my beloved koh-i-noor woodless pencils. Started on a spring chick today.

He's a work in progress and that's why the shading on his wing and rear end are a bit wonky.

Anyway, if any of you lefties out there have mastered some way of not having the heel of your hand drag over and smear and ruin everything you do, I'm all ears. I've gone through the majority of my life with either an ink or a graphite or a chalk stain. And yes, I can work backwards, but sometimes I'm not thinking backwards.

The pink squiggle is a contribution from my one-year-old, who grabbed the pencil. She's shaping up to be a lefty too, incidentally.

Zhukov Feb 16th, 2011 02:32 AM

Wow, that's good.

Yeah, I have the same problem with stains all up my hand.

Uh, ink and pencil stains I mean.

All Hail Duke Feb 16th, 2011 02:54 AM

that'll do nicely

Tadao Feb 16th, 2011 03:23 AM

I think right handed people have the same problems. You have to train yourself to not rest your hand on the board. Sometimes I'll rest my pinky off the the drawing if I need stability.

Also, your daughter is a secret Canadian. That looks like a red maple leaf.

Fathom Zero Feb 16th, 2011 03:30 AM

I would think it'd be easy to draw from right to left. :\

And when I write with my pens, I still end up with ink all up my arm for some reason. Don't feel bad.

Shrubfest Feb 16th, 2011 05:38 AM

I'd use my little finger as a rest, too. As a kid I always had paint/pen/pencil coated hands, but I've not had this problem for years now, and I've just realized I have no idea why...

Unhelpful, I know.

Kitsa Feb 16th, 2011 11:25 AM

Every teacher I've ever had tells me I hold my pens and pencils wrong. I tried doing it the "correct" way but couldn't stand it. Then again, I type "wrong" and many teachers told me that being left-handed was wrong altogether, so fuck 'em.

Tadao Feb 16th, 2011 11:35 AM

In a way, being left handed is harder on a person. Everything is made for right handed people, but not everything is available in left handed form. All the way from where the knbs are on the washer to which door we pull open to enter a building.

I hold my chopsticks wrong, try getting way with that one. :tear

Kitsa Feb 16th, 2011 06:56 PM

True. And that would be bad. I don't know how well my chopstick handling would be viewed by a pro, so good thing I don't do it around others. Too much "KAWAIIIIIIIIII WATCH ME USE HASHI DESU NE" shit going on nowadays. These days I use my chopsticks to stir up powdered formula in bottles. They work great for that, by the way.

I used to really suck at using left-handed scissors, but I've improved recently.

Zhukov Feb 16th, 2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadao (Post 713092)
In a way, being left handed is harder on a person. Everything is made for right handed people, but not everything is available in left handed form. All the way from where the knbs are on the washer to which door we pull open to enter a building.

I hold my chopsticks wrong, try getting way with that one. :tear

In other ways life is easier if you are left handed, since you learn to adapt better and are therefore more able to overcome the worlds other obstacles. Also we are smarter, nicer and more creative.

Just generally better people.

Tadao Feb 16th, 2011 08:23 PM

Yeah, I've seen that in the real world. :rolleyes

Big McLargehuge Feb 16th, 2011 09:33 PM

You have to be left handed to become the Pope and lefties are proven to be less susceptible to bone loss on extended space missions. Not to mention that left handed scientists are smarter.

Sacks Feb 16th, 2011 10:18 PM

Try resting the wrist of your left hand on your left hand so it hovers over the image.

MLE Feb 17th, 2011 12:11 AM

I've tried that, being a righty, and that's incredibly uncomfortable. Also, it has no stabilization, and my hand shakes without that.

Shrubfest Feb 17th, 2011 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge (Post 713117)
You have to be left handed to become the Pope and lefties are proven to be less susceptible to bone loss on extended space missions. Not to mention that left handed scientists are smarter.

We're also statistically more likely to die 7 years before right-handers.

Kitsa Feb 17th, 2011 11:16 AM

Most of the time when I try to balance or do something akin to that, all I end up with is a wobbly sketch and one hell of a case of writer's cramp.

Colonel Flagg Feb 17th, 2011 12:23 PM

I've been trying to teach myself to write with my left hand for about the past 20 years or so. It's not real neat, but it's legible.

My daughter is a lefty. And, I suspect my youngest too, though it's still too early to tell for sure.

Tadao Feb 17th, 2011 01:34 PM

Take the piece from your ouija board and rest your hand on that.

Kitsa Feb 17th, 2011 03:06 PM

I do not own a ouija board, but weirdly enough I did try the little plastic prop from the middle of a pizza box once. It dragged through my work.

Chojin Feb 21st, 2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrubfest (Post 713143)
We're also statistically more likely to die 7 years before right-handers.

how many assholes have we got on this ship, anyway?

Zhukov Feb 21st, 2011 01:45 AM

Some people have 7.

Kitsa Feb 21st, 2011 10:39 AM

Weird, I have also read "normal minus 7" as the most recent lifespan estimate for MS sufferers :(

I tend to hate those sort of stats for their inherent smugness. Said healthy person could pity others for their short lifespan and wander outside only to be flattened by a truck.

The Leader Feb 21st, 2011 02:09 PM

I'm surrounded by assholes!

Kitsa Feb 21st, 2011 07:54 PM

no shit, it's i-mockery

Colonel Flagg Feb 21st, 2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Leader (Post 713650)
I'm surrounded by assholes!

:aok