I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Editorials - The Geek Hierarchy (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69699174)

Butters Mar 5th, 2008 02:01 PM

I don't think "Internet/message board geek" works because usually they fall into one of the other geek categories and like to talk about it. Unless they are the people that frequent 4chan or YTMND or something.

Tech geeks would work.

Tetsu Deinonychus Mar 5th, 2008 02:12 PM

Let's see...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockery
Heheh, yeah I said he also needed to add in the fitness/health geeks who know the EXACT calorie count of every piece of food they eat and wouldn't dare go over their daily intake allowance.

Willie is right too, message board/internet geeks would be another good addition.

I also think knitting/craft geeks should be on there, or perhaps just art geeks to be more all-encompassing.

Agreed, and I mentioned "Tech Geeks" and "RPG Card Game Player". I should also mention "Nostalgia Geeks" and those weirdos that idolize a particular historical figure (like Elvis, Patton, etc.) to an insane obsession.

Say Protoclown, is there any chance of a "Part II", perhaps?

executioneer Mar 5th, 2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by executioneer (Post 536321)
is the music nerd a picture of deadendz :lol

is it

MrEff Mar 5th, 2008 03:17 PM

Let us see, I fall under video game geek, movie and TV geek and tabletop geek. As for Orks, I find a bolter will fix them easy.

Colonel Flagg Mar 5th, 2008 03:29 PM

Does the fanfic geek have a bag over his/her head for our protection, or theirs?

I myself have been a member of RPG, Band, SciFi and VideoGame geek clubs. Once, I was a character in a LARPG - my God, what was I thinking?

Sleazeappeal Mar 5th, 2008 03:36 PM

NOTHING is lower than a furry... NOTHING!

stonewar Mar 5th, 2008 03:37 PM

OMG....I am bottom the barrel...My profile says FANFIC... but to clarify, I only read it. I haven't written anything since I was a teenager. in all other catagories I either turn my nose up or I'm a dabbler *is depressed*

kramers_butler Mar 5th, 2008 03:44 PM

Sports Geek should be at the top of the list mostly because they will fight you for cheering for the other team, and travel in packs.

Respect should be given to the Civil War bunch. A good buddy of mine in college was WAY into this. I've never seen anyone so dedicated to researching anything... and at least it's of actual events. I went to one of these things and learned that 1)most of these guys strive for authenticity, not in uniform, but in the outcome as well 2) most have multiple uniforms and will vary which side they are one 3) I've never seen so much booze consumed in my life!! So at least its a social, moonshine drinking affair.

LadyMage Mar 5th, 2008 03:52 PM

damn I am all over the place on that list, the only ones I am not are war reinacter, band, sports, mmorpg, film, outaku and larper, meaning I am on the very top and bottom of the list XD

GRUMPYNZ Mar 5th, 2008 04:40 PM

Toy Geek and a Movie Geek and proud! (On the Internet but not particularly in real life).

Sport Geek - i can't help but think of that Seinfeld episode.

elementalblazer Mar 5th, 2008 06:31 PM

Lets see I'm music and video game geek I read a couple of comics but nothing recently.

Dungeonbrownies Mar 5th, 2008 07:21 PM

its harsh being arolleplayer geek, but now its ok to be a nerd, because now everyone knows the nerd withthe highest iq qill likely be the one with the most money and likely gett the most gold diggers in the future.

fluffkomix Mar 5th, 2008 08:47 PM

Quote:

I don't think I count as Otaku even though I enjoy anime and manga since I
1)shower regularly
2)never cosplayed
me too. but ive cross dressed. does that count?

fluffkomix Mar 5th, 2008 08:56 PM

also how about the geek who interrupts your conversation midway just to say something that makes the whole thing extremely awkward? i know someone like that. he would do it every single time i was talking with a friend

Shadow40000 Mar 5th, 2008 09:01 PM

*eye shifts*

fluffkomix Mar 5th, 2008 09:16 PM

who u shifting your eyes at, punk?

mew barios Mar 5th, 2008 09:39 PM

hell yeah babylon 5

PolarisSLBM Mar 5th, 2008 09:53 PM

I second tech geeks.

Also, you forgot car geeks and gun geeks. You know the ones...

Nick Mar 5th, 2008 10:24 PM

Fan art geeks deserve the bottom.

Marthaeus Autolykos Mar 5th, 2008 10:43 PM

A major problem with this article is that the word "cool" is used too much in describing geeks. That's the point: excessive enthusiasm bordering on Asperger's syndrome isn't cool. There's a line crossed when one attempts to base most (or any, if at all) social interactions on minutia of a specialized topic (and it can be ANY topic/interest). In fact, were I a psychiatrist, I'd want to classify geeks as an Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Tadao Mar 5th, 2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthaeus Autolykos (Post 536522)
A major problem with this article is that the word "cool" is used too much in describing geeks. That's the point: excessive enthusiasm bordering on Asperger's syndrome isn't cool. There's a line crossed when one attempts to base most (or any, if at all) social interactions on minutia of a specialized topic (and it can be ANY topic/interest). In fact, were I a psychiatrist, I'd want to classify geeks as an Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Ah, the lowest one yet. "7h3 £337 933|{"

teknotheef Mar 5th, 2008 11:47 PM

Mmk... just so you know, LARPing is like... the greatest fun ever. And I fall into 5 of these categories, so I feel pretty proud of myself. Lightning Bolt!

beatpole Mar 6th, 2008 12:12 AM

What is really sad is when the RenFair and LARPers try to participate in martial arts. Most of them are so commited to their fantasy that they honestly can't be made to understand that "spells" are not an accepted part of effective martial arts. I have seen many a good sparring session ruined by LARPers who believe themselves to be expert combatents, but can't actually do anything besides yell out the names of their spells, deluding themselves into believing that they might actually work in real life.

beatpole Mar 6th, 2008 12:13 AM

Also could someone tell me the diffrence between "geeks" ""nerds" and "dorks."

Protoclown Mar 6th, 2008 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Despotofks (Post 536336)
So the sports geeks can rattle of stats AND statistics? That's pretty amazing, considering that they're the same fucking thing. Why, next you'll tell us that the film geek can tell you about many films and also movies.

I know it can be a soul-crushing thing to discover that your hero isn't perfect, but I in fact do make mistakes from time to time.

And Willie, no that isn't deadendz...haha. That's some guy from the Flaming Lips, I think. I just found in on a google search.