I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Weekly Movie Review: ¡Three Amigos! (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69699985)

MockBot Jun 17th, 2008 02:28 AM

Weekly Movie Review: ¡Three Amigos!

Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Movie Review: ¡Three Amigos!.

Mac Brookman Jun 17th, 2008 03:56 AM

Perfect summing up of the highlights, I always liked this movie for being a nice parody of the Seven Samurai / the Magnificent Seven.

Nick Jun 17th, 2008 04:30 AM

I loved watching this movie on VHS when I was growing it. Coincidentally, it was great practice for Chevy Chase.

Terrible-D Jun 17th, 2008 06:08 AM

Rog, I was wondering if you knew what plethora means? Cause I'd hate to think that you used the word without knowing the meaning.

This movie is an A+ comedy.

chemquat Jun 17th, 2008 11:19 AM

i loved this movie growing up as well.

i still occasionally throw "sew! sew like the wind!" into converations with my sister. she was a big fan, too.

BakaGaijin Jun 17th, 2008 11:51 AM

I adore this movie. It was one of the first ones I bought on DVD.

"Caw, caw, hey, hey, hey you, hey you two, two, whipperwill, whipperwill, lookuphere, lookuphere.... HEY GUYS!"

McFly Jun 17th, 2008 01:45 PM

To this day I occasionally get "My Little Buttercup" in my head. Especially if there are tense situations or long silences. All I need to do now is learn the dance and I will be perfect.

Icculus Jun 17th, 2008 03:26 PM

I used to enjoy this movie a lot when I was younger. I don't think I've watched it too recently since as I got older the more Martin Short makes me sick...I'm sorry people he's not funny.

HeroliciousDeBlanc Jun 17th, 2008 08:25 PM

Icculus, this is the only Martin Short I've ever loved. MY favorite line from this movie is when Steve Martin says somtyhing along the lines of:

"Everyone has their El Guapo. For some, shyness is their El Guapo. For some, illiteracy is their El Guapo. For the citizens of this town, their El Guapo happens to be the real El Guapo."

Julio Jun 18th, 2008 02:56 AM

So, where's Tuco now?

Odworthy Jun 18th, 2008 07:49 AM

I'd forgotten how good this film is. My favourite line has to be:

"I was thinking later, you could kiss me on the veranda"
"Lips would be fine"

I pray I'll be able to say that someday...

argonath Jun 18th, 2008 11:12 AM

The first time I'd ever laughed uncontrollably in a movie theater was during the scene with the singing bush. Great movie, and it's one I can't wait to show my kids when they are old enough.

Tadao Jun 18th, 2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac Brookman (Post 561628)
Perfect summing up of the highlights, I always liked this movie for being a nice parody of the Seven Samurai / the Magnificent Seven.

What? No it isn't. Have you seen either of those movies?

Kench Jun 18th, 2008 01:58 PM

I went to a Quote-a-long for this on Cinco de Mayo this year -- it was GREAT! (Margaritas included!)

Protoclown Jun 19th, 2008 01:06 PM

A fucking classic.

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it, so I was unaware it apparently gets a bad rap?

Tadao Jun 19th, 2008 02:23 PM

I have never met anyone who didn't like it either, maybe he meant bad reviews from critics.

Mockery Jun 19th, 2008 03:50 PM

There are definitely plenty o' critics who didn't think it was very entertaining, but I also knew a bunch o' people in college who thought it was, in their words, "lame". This, of course, boggled my mind since I thought it was a hilarious flick. Doesn't exactly have the best rating on IMDB either... so yeah, there are obviously people out there who just don't like it. But as they say, you can't please everybody.

Tadao Jun 19th, 2008 08:33 PM

Especially people in college with their lattes and cellphones an books.

pezjohnson Jun 19th, 2008 09:19 PM

I'm not sure which Chevy Chase lines I like better, either :

Well we really dont have a plan B. We didn't expect for the first plan to work. Sometimes you can overplan these things.

or the exchange while he was playing like one of El Guapo's men (from IMDB)
El Guapo: And uh...
Dusty Bottoms: Pruned!
El Guapo: ...pruned the, uh...
Dusty Bottoms: Hedges!
El Guapo: ...hedges of...
Dusty Bottoms: Many small villages

NightProwler Jun 20th, 2008 04:36 AM

A real classic. I wonder what you think about the upcoming remake(basically) "Tropic thunder"? Ben Stiller, Jack Black, and Robert Downey Jr are the new "Amigos".

Duct Tape Ninja Jun 20th, 2008 09:43 AM

I'm not one to listen to much for critics, and I too have not heard anything bad about this movie. I for one like this movie so much that if i had a safe i would surely put it there.

alittlebirdytoldmeso Jun 20th, 2008 09:49 PM

I'm puzzled that anyone could not like this movie. But then, I'm also puzzled as to why people hate Little Nicky so much.

HowardC Jun 23rd, 2008 12:45 AM

People simply don't understand this level of sophisticated comedy. There are simplistic jokes and one liners on the surface, but the subtlety is what makes all of that worth it. Basically it's a Mel Brookes movie without mel, and because the majority of movie viewers are sheep who never truely watch a movie and merely base their opinion on what they are told it should be, some people didn't like it simply because they weren't TOLD to like it.

It wasn't a block-buster smash, so my guess is those who told you it was "lame" never actually watched the film and were to embarrassed to admit it. As for film critics, well they are almost always wrong, heralding crap-fests, and hating quality movies. So any critical analysis should promptly be ignored.

Personally, I can get behind any film in which the bad guys rape the horses and ride off on the women. :D

Kitsunexus Jun 23rd, 2008 04:37 PM

This movie is one of the greatest classics ever made.

Ferrit Jun 23rd, 2008 10:08 PM

Rog - do you know what it means to have a plethora?