I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Comics 'n Books (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   WHAT are you reading right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2594)

Big McLargehuge Jan 2nd, 2009 12:54 PM

i have been meaning to read that. but i don't order books off the internet, and i haven't seen it at any bookstores in town.

Fathom Zero Jan 2nd, 2009 04:33 PM

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh... wasn't satisfying. It didn't have a point and meandered about for no reason. The ending was underwhelming and wouldn't have made a difference if it ended fifty pages earlier or later.

Sam Jan 2nd, 2009 06:26 PM

Still reading Further Chronicles of Conan and debating Nightwatch or Monster Island.

Zomboid Jan 2nd, 2009 06:56 PM

The Shining was one of the best books that I've ever read :O

executioneer Jan 2nd, 2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge (Post 605520)
i have been meaning to read that. but i don't order books off the internet, and i haven't seen it at any bookstores in town.

have you tried a libary

Big McLargehuge Jan 3rd, 2009 10:43 PM

my local library has two pkd novels and i bet you can guess which two

Tadao Jan 3rd, 2009 11:02 PM

Bookstores often have a way of ordering books. When they need a book, they leave the title on a piece of paper at night and the book gnomes get to work on it as soon as possible. Sometimes it takes a week though.

Big McLargehuge Jan 4th, 2009 03:09 PM

i only go to used bookstores, in fact i only get books at bookmans it is the single best book store ever.

Big McLargehuge Jan 4th, 2009 04:57 PM

Asimov's Guide to the Bible

Ant10708 Jan 4th, 2009 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge (Post 605829)
i only go to used bookstores, in fact i only get books at bookmans it is the single best book store ever.

obviously not if you can't find the books you want there

Big McLargehuge Jan 5th, 2009 01:38 AM

yeah how dare a store only stock 43 of pkd's 44 novels :rolleyes

Sam Jan 5th, 2009 10:47 AM

what kind of faggits is they? :rolleyes

Big McLargehuge Jan 5th, 2009 02:26 PM

obviously pretty large ones :rolleyes

timrpgland Feb 11th, 2009 04:32 PM

I just started getting into The Walking Dead. On Book 2. I like it so far. Depending on the pace, I can see it continuing to be good.

Muadi'ib Feb 15th, 2009 10:36 PM

Right now I'm browsing between Doctor Who books, House of Mystery and I just started reading Hellblazer.

Fathom Zero Feb 16th, 2009 12:54 AM

Essential Bill Hicks: Love All the People

kahljorn Feb 17th, 2009 04:46 AM

My favorite thing about VALIS besides all the HILARITY is when he talks about gnosticism and philosophy. its awesome ;o

kahljorn Feb 17th, 2009 04:50 AM

ordering books online is the bees knees! just order more than one ;o

10,000 Volt Ghost Feb 17th, 2009 05:21 PM

Finished another chapter in Don Quixote. I blame the internet for me progressing through at a snails pace.

King Hadas Feb 20th, 2009 06:26 PM

Atlas shrugged, not as boring as I thought it would be but I've made it half way through and I don't think I'll finish it, I don't see any reason to. I think I got the gist of what Ayn Rand was all about. For her, people came in only two varieties; herculean heroes of industry and horrible parasites. I'd say more about the book but right now I've got to go pick up my unemployment check and not pay my income taxes.

Tadao Feb 20th, 2009 06:35 PM

Sounds like you should be reading Steinbeck.

executioneer Feb 20th, 2009 07:15 PM

DEATHTRAP DUNGEON

King Hadas Feb 20th, 2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tadao
Sounds like you should be reading Steinbeck.

I guess Steinbeck's view would be the opposite of Ayn Rand's then? Mind you I didn't stop reading Atlas Shrugged because the political message bothered me. The book is just to damn long and all though Ayn Rand has a real flare for writing parasitic characters her titans of industry are dull as hell and practically interchangeable. They go off on this pedantic rants about the need to be selfish and then there all chummy and knightly with other industry men, doing each other solids with only the knowledge there helping their bros out seems like a bit of a contradiction. They mostly speak in monologues too which isn't very natural. I did like the one where Dagny propounds point by point why she wants to be Henry's dirty, dirty concubine. Ayn Rand was pretty hardcore.

RaNkeri Feb 20th, 2009 07:32 PM

Finished Frankenstein today, starting a book that contains all of Edgar Allan Poe's short stories next

Tadao Feb 20th, 2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Hadas (Post 615115)
I guess Steinbeck's view would be the opposite of Ayn Rand's then?

I meant it towards your current situation of being out of work and the government wants some money from you. He wrote a lot about the depression era. It would by no means ease your pain or inspire you though. It would be like buying an emo new razors.