I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philosophy, Politics, and News (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Celebrity status (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1509)

BombsBurstingInAir Mar 12th, 2003 12:48 PM

Celebrity status

Obvious reader submissions. I question some of those listed as righties, but loooks accurate for the most part.

http://www.celiberal.com/

Protoclown Mar 12th, 2003 12:51 PM

What a stupid fucking website.

Carnivore Mar 12th, 2003 01:16 PM

What Proto said >:

El Blanco Mar 12th, 2003 01:32 PM

Meh. Big deal. They throw money around for the guys who they want to win. ooooooooo

KevinTheOmnivore Mar 12th, 2003 02:14 PM

How many political view points has Lou Reed been expressing lately...? :confused

I think somebody hearing Lou Reed talk in the year 2003 has more problems that Liberalism. :lol

The_Rorschach Mar 12th, 2003 03:48 PM

". . .(found at the far left; pun intended) of celebrities that make liberal comments that are anti-American, anti-Bush, or just plain ridiculous. . ."

Is this guy equating Anti-Bush as the same thing as Anti-American?
Thats a scary thought. . .

When Kevin said Lou Reed, I was thinking Lou Dobbs (who I kind of like and respect). I regret going now.

sspadowsky Mar 12th, 2003 04:49 PM

Duh, people! Don't you know that not supporting this war automatically makes you an anti-American, anti-Bush, communist, hellbound terrorist lover? Come on! You rotten "liberals" with your "reason" and "logic"! How dare you question our benevolent leaders' desperate and heartfelt attempt to liberate the oil that has ben so cruelly oppressed by Saddam Hussein! Get with the program, people!
________
Children Wellbutrin

Miss Modular Mar 12th, 2003 06:31 PM

Can we say "McCarthyism", kids?*

*So it may not be that severe, but still.

MaskedMonk Mar 12th, 2003 08:28 PM

I'm registered for their forum now.

El Blanco Mar 12th, 2003 08:42 PM

Good for you

The_Rorschach Mar 13th, 2003 02:37 PM

Can we say "McCarthyism", kids?*

*So it may not be that severe, but still.

Not that severe Mod? Not even that similar.

Miss Modular Mar 13th, 2003 03:23 PM

I suppose.

kellychaos Mar 13th, 2003 06:44 PM

*So it may not be that severe, but still.[/quote]

Actually, I don't think that statement is too far off. Let's wait for the blacklisting to begin ... see if Sean Penn gets another job any time soon. :/

El Blanco Mar 13th, 2003 06:45 PM

I don't remember him being that good an actor to begin with.

kellychaos Mar 13th, 2003 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Blanco
I don't remember him being that good an actor to begin with.

I liked "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" and "Colors" ... that's about it. Not exactly high dramtic art, though. :/

Protoclown Mar 13th, 2003 07:11 PM

Personally, I have NO problem with people using celebrity status to get their message across to a large body of people.

Perhaps not so much with actors, but with musicians and writers and similar creative arts, I personally feel that they almost have a RESPONSIBILITY to communicate some kind of message. Don't you prefer music that makes some kind of statement to empty bubblegum lyrics?

Artists are in a powerful position, they can lead the people by example, and if their message is worth being heard, it will be, and it SHOULD be.

Skulhedface Mar 13th, 2003 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protoclown
Personally, I have NO problem with people using celebrity status to get their message across to a large body of people.

Perhaps not so much with actors, but with musicians and writers and similar creative arts, I personally feel that they almost have a RESPONSIBILITY to communicate some kind of message. Don't you prefer music that makes some kind of statement to empty bubblegum lyrics?

Artists are in a powerful position, they can lead the people by example, and if their message is worth being heard, it will be, and it SHOULD be.

Yes, until they start shoving Scientology and yoga in our asses. Oh yes, and who can forget not eating?

Protoclown Mar 13th, 2003 07:39 PM

Yes, and those messages fall neatly into the "not worth hearing" category.

Hey, if Fiona Apple wants to talk about how we should all be pasty frail vegans, more power to her. I disagree with her. But I still enjoy her music.

El Blanco Mar 13th, 2003 07:39 PM

Quote:

Problem is, most of them don't know jack shit about what they are doing. Susan Sarandon and Ed Asner are prime examples of this. They are using these causes of the week to further their own stagnant careers.

Honestly, what purpose did Penn's trip to Iraq serve? What was he qualified to do? Did he bring home any new revelations?

Chris made better movies anyway.

Protoclown Mar 13th, 2003 07:48 PM

Well, obviously if the artist doesn't know fuck all about the topic in question, they're not going to be taken seriously.

I still think there are a lot of political bands out there, to name one example, that have messages that are VERY much worth being heard, and they take the time to research the shit and know what they're talking about.

The_Rorschach Mar 13th, 2003 07:58 PM

Barbara Streisand has a team working around the clock researching her political opinions, yet sadly, she still manages to fuck it up anyway. . .

El Blanco Mar 13th, 2003 08:22 PM

Now I am waiting for her to write a song called "F l_l C l< i l\l G C/-\ l\/l P I l\l G newbie!!!1111"

better yet:

People who need plasma rifles are the campingest people on the server

The_Rorschach Mar 13th, 2003 08:39 PM

Captions are for the other forum ;)

Skulhedface Mar 14th, 2003 12:53 AM

In the end, it'd be a lot easier to swallow a celebrity's point of view in this case:

THE SCENARIO: A celebrity takes up the cause for feeding the world's starving children.

THE REALITY: They claim that they care about the plight of these children SO BADLY that they MUST get on TV and downright GUILT you into sending a LOW LOW payment per month to feed these starving children.

THE WAY IT SHOULD BE (A.K.A. THE WAY I'D ACTUALLY SWALLOW THE STEAMING PILE THEY ARE TRYING TO THROW MY WAY):
The celebrity does NOT bring such a thing up UNLESS PROMPTED, and when he/she does, instead of pandering on TV to the masses using guilt trips (which they must be immune to, otherwise you think they would...read the rest of my comment) THEY WOULD GIVE THE MONEY UP THEMSELVES! I think Arnold Schwarzenegger alone makes enough money per movie that if he donated even 20% of his salary, he could feed HALF OF AFRICA! What can a kid do on 20% of MY paycheck, buy a few TV dinners?!? (I make more than that but I don't feel like doing the math at midnight)

If celebrities would actually BE self righteous instead of posing under the pretenses, I think celebrity status would actually mean something. Until then, I understand why less and less people buy into it.

::whew!:: Sorry if I strayed a little offtopic, but it does relate.

theapportioner Mar 14th, 2003 12:58 AM

Problem is, most of them don't know jack shit about what they are doing.

You'd be singing a different tune if the celebs were gung-ho about war!!