I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New Cigarette Warning Labels (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69707275)

Pedro Aug 19th, 2011 08:48 AM

New Cigarette Warning Labels

So, apparently the government is now going to make the tobacco companies put these awfully graphic warnings on cigarette packs. http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/06/21...ery/index.html
The government is also going to make the tobacco companies have the warnings cover half of the front and back of the pack. As a smoker, I could give a shit about what the pack looks like, I'm going to smoke them anyway. But, it seems tobacco is getting is getting an unfair deal. I mean, why doesn't the goverrnment make alcohol producers put pictures of diseased livers and people mangled in DUI crashes on their bottles. Why shouldn't McDonald's and its cohorts have to put pictures of big fat ugly bastards on their food wrappers. It seems that smoking is unfairly demonized while other problems such as alcohol abuse and obesity are overlooked.

Your thoughts?

k0k0 Aug 19th, 2011 08:59 AM

I think this should be in politics/philosophy. I don't smoke, and when I did, I only smoked big stinky cigars, but I think the government should just fuck off about telling companies what to do. First it was no smoking in bars and now it's this. Hey, but maybe it'll bring people like me in to smoking who want to collect all 9.

10,000 Volt Ghost Aug 19th, 2011 09:12 AM

Why don't they make shorter cigarettes like those little pepsi's you can buy now.

k0k0 Aug 19th, 2011 09:14 AM

This could only help the sale of cigarettes to minors. Kids will collect anything.

MarioRPG Aug 19th, 2011 11:03 AM

They've been this way in Canada for as long as I can remember. Like most forms of advertising, it's ignored.

Zomboid Aug 19th, 2011 11:41 AM

Yeah, I see a picture of a baby in an incubator, rotting teeth, a flaccid cigarette, or two kids saying "Please don't hurt us" every time I smoke. I can take a few pictures, if anyone wants to see. Or, y'know, Google...

And yeah, smokers get demonized pretty fucking badly.

Rongi Aug 19th, 2011 01:24 PM

So when are they going to start slapping labels on Budweiser cans? You know like, "alcohol consumption can cause cirrhosis of the liver" or "drinking during pregnancy can cause 'fetal alcohol syndrome" or "alcohol kills more people than crack, cocaine and heroin combined"?

Look, I'm a man who enjoys his beer and cigarettes. My point is not that alcohol is bad, I'm just saying it's pretty hypocritical to demonize one drug and celebrate another.

Rongi Aug 19th, 2011 01:28 PM

That should read "potentially deadly drug" but my edit button doesn't exist anymore

k0k0 Aug 19th, 2011 01:30 PM

It's just all about who makes the biggest stink. I'm pretty sure there's a lot more people protesting cigarettes than alcohol right now. They probably celebrated this announcement with a beer or glass of wine.

Grislygus Aug 19th, 2011 02:07 PM

I hear the new warning labels say "Suck my dick" and are designed to be removed and stuck on the smoker's chest like a nametag

Chojin Aug 19th, 2011 03:00 PM

they should just booby-trap 1 out of every 10 boxes

executioneer Aug 19th, 2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k0k0 (Post 738745)
It's just all about who makes the biggest stink

yes

yes it is

Rongi Aug 19th, 2011 03:04 PM

I remember in "When You Are Engulfed In Flames", David Sedaris talks about how polite the warning labels are on Japanese cigarette packs. They say things like "Please consider not smoking, it is very bad for you!"

Rongi Aug 19th, 2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by executioneer (Post 738758)
yes

yes it is

hey man alcohol smells pretty gross when it's puked all over the place

executioneer Aug 19th, 2011 03:09 PM

if you puke up every time you drink alcohol you are going about drinking the wrong way

Rongi Aug 19th, 2011 03:10 PM

uh obviously i'm just trying to not have a beer gut

executioneer Aug 19th, 2011 03:23 PM

:lol

Rongi Aug 19th, 2011 03:31 PM

I should really quit smoking though, I've been short of breath lately. Also, I had chronic bronchitis when i was a kid and I heard that if you smoke with that preexisting condition that really puts you at risk for developing acute lung cancer :(

Chojin Aug 19th, 2011 03:42 PM

better than anugly lung cancer lololol

Rongi Aug 19th, 2011 03:47 PM

boooooo

10,000 Volt Ghost Aug 19th, 2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rongi (Post 738773)
I should really quit smoking though, I've been short of breath lately. Also, I had chronic bronchitis when i was a kid and I heard that if you smoke with that preexisting condition that really puts you at risk for developing acute lung cancer :(

Or give you wicked awesome pipes like the guy from Blues Traveler.

He is the Busta Rhymes of the Harmonica.

Guitar Woman Aug 19th, 2011 04:51 PM

http://www.elighters.com/brass-cigar...tte-cases.html

Problem solved.

k0k0 Aug 19th, 2011 04:55 PM

They should just go all out and put pictures of death on everything. The interior of our cars should have pictures of car crashes that can be avoided by not driving. Guns should have pictures of gunshot wound victims engraved into the metal. Beer should have pictures of naked obese women with stds who you might bang while drunk. Condoms should have pictures of all the sperm/egg babies you're killing by using them. We should just surround ourselves with pictures of death just so we know what could happen from the item we're using (even though we already know). Video games can just show a picture of me after I was up for 20 hours playing oblivion the night it came out.

Guitar Woman Aug 19th, 2011 04:57 PM

I think the point is that cigarettes are more or less guaranteed to kill you, while everything else will only kill you if you're doing it wrong.

Zomboid Aug 19th, 2011 06:21 PM

If you eat a lot of unhealthy food, that's guaranteed to kill you as well.