I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   I-Mockery Pays A Visit To The Rose Bowl Flea Market (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69701883)

MockBot Mar 19th, 2009 04:34 AM

I-Mockery Pays A Visit To The Rose Bowl Flea Market

Automatically generated comment thread for I-Mockery Pays A Visit To The Rose Bowl Flea Market.

hisholiness Mar 19th, 2009 05:13 AM

I think that character on the tip of your tongue is called Captain Crook. He is/was part of the McDonald's cast of characters. I hope that helps. I wonder if they have mega yard sales on the west coast, if they do i'm sure you'll find one and visit it. Thanks for the laughs.

executioneer Mar 19th, 2009 05:35 AM

those aren't intellivision games those are atari 2600 games >: unless the intellivision games are on the bottom, i couldn't tell what the bottom ones were

Hurude Mar 19th, 2009 06:39 AM

some months ago i was looking through some of my old toys in my mum and dads loft and i found a metal gorilla, i knew it was from some tv show but i couldnt rememebr where. thank you for reminding me all about the bionic six my mum will be happy it has a name F.L.U.F.F.I.

Doctor_Who Mar 19th, 2009 08:05 AM

This place is awesome! I must have spotted a hundred things I want among those pictures. If I ever get out to California I going there with $1000 and a large wheelbarrow.

OxBlood Mar 19th, 2009 08:06 AM

Congrats for the lamp. Actually looks REALLY stylish :)

Pentegarn Mar 19th, 2009 10:34 AM

So there were 2 Evil Knievel lunch boxes there at least (from the pictures you showed us anyway) I thought those things were supposed to be rare now?

ionsuperpower Mar 19th, 2009 01:38 PM

in the uk we have carboot sales but no hiter stand ps cool jason lamp

rizzo Mar 19th, 2009 01:42 PM

Wow I used to have that Super Powers Batmobile...wonder where that got too...

Also; I want that metal Silver Surfer sign, now!

Mockery Mar 19th, 2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hisholiness (Post 619981)
I think that character on the tip of your tongue is called Captain Crook. He is/was part of the McDonald's cast of characters. I hope that helps. I wonder if they have mega yard sales on the west coast, if they do i'm sure you'll find one and visit it. Thanks for the laughs.

Captain Crook! That's it... thanks for clearing that one up for me, it was driving me crazy haha. And yeah, I haven't seen any mega yard sales out here yet, but if I catch word of 'em, you know I'll be going. Honestly though, this gargantuan flea market was way better than those mega yard sales could ever hope to be, so I'll keep going to it on a monthly basis most likely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by executioneer (Post 619985)
those aren't intellivision games those are atari 2600 games unless the intellivision games are on the bottom

Yeah, I looked through 'em all and they were almost all Intellivision games in that pile. I would've bought some, but I already have loose copies of those ones and I bought a boxed copy of "Truckin'" not too long ago. Can't go wrong with a title like Truckin'. That just screams *action-packed!*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 620008)
So there were 2 Evil Knievel lunch boxes there at least (from the pictures you showed us anyway) I thought those things were supposed to be rare now?

Beats me... I'm not up to speed on what lunchboxes are extremely rare, but I'd honestly be surprised if Evil Knievel ones were since he was so popular back in the day. Every kid had an Evil Knievel motorcycle stunt toy and probably the lunchbox to go along with it.

MasterV Mar 19th, 2009 02:42 PM

I'm going to have to hit one of the flea markets around here now. Never know what you'll find

Julio Mar 19th, 2009 03:41 PM

I'll stick with a Tiki God mask.

Tadao Mar 19th, 2009 04:34 PM

I loved the little people airport set. It was my favorite to chew on.

stevetothepast Mar 19th, 2009 05:36 PM

thanks for all the pics Rog it was pretty entertaining to see all the old toys and lunchboxes etc.

vermiknid Mar 19th, 2009 05:39 PM

The Rose Bowl is awesome and huge, but you might also want to try the flea market at the Pasadena City College which is the first Sunday of the month. A lot of the same vendors go to both, but the PCC one is FREE! So, if you want to save 8 smackers per person and forgo the two dollar bills, I'd go there instead. If you're really hooked, the third Sunday of the month you can find more great goodies at the Long Beach Veterans Memorial Stadium. That one is 5 bucks. Happy fleas!

MeowMixMaster Mar 19th, 2009 07:17 PM

That one painting you saw with the nude woman and the centaur looks to be work done by Boris Vajello. I have a calendar that has his work on display. He does a lot of fantasy art like that. I dont care how much that one painting was, I'd still get it.

MS-DOS4 Mar 19th, 2009 07:53 PM

Man, some day I need to hit up a flea market. I saw so much stuff in these pictures that I would have loved to get my hands on.

Mental Pooperscooper Mar 19th, 2009 08:34 PM

Judging from the ominous red glow of that lamp, I think you might just get some good ol' fashion mutation from that lamp-
Faster than a computer, deadlier than a lazer, its Pickleman!!!!
awesome.

captain516 Mar 19th, 2009 08:56 PM

I had an orgasm from seeing all that Batman merchandise.

robo_rob Mar 19th, 2009 11:09 PM

That Trypticon looked like it was in pretty decent shape. Not to mention the Friday the 13th lamp makes me jealous.

Babs Mar 19th, 2009 11:45 PM

I really want that lamp RoG. I will give you $200, PLEASE I MUST HAVE IT NO LYING PLEEEEEAASSSEEEEE

JoeyJoJoJr Mar 19th, 2009 11:49 PM

Congrats on your find, I always love the feeling you get when you discover something rare like that.

Tetsu Deinonychus Mar 20th, 2009 12:32 AM

I live a couple houses away fr9om an antique store that sells all kinds of stuff like that.

They even have Pillsbury Doughboys, and the Charlie's Angels board game for sale there.

Johnny Lee Lemming Mar 20th, 2009 01:14 AM

Such an excellent feature. Thanks Rog!
Even if the lamp doesn't look like any movie mask, it's definitely looking good.

DrewP Mar 20th, 2009 01:52 AM

I just noticed something. Those Panther Tables are the same as that Panther statue from the Melrose Trading Post on page 1. Except at Melrose they didn't have any glass tops. Also every Flea Market I have been too has had Madballs almost every where I nearly have a complete collection and am only missing a few of the "Bad guys" from the carton (yet they were good in the comic)

greenimp Mar 20th, 2009 02:07 AM

page 1, pic 12, the grinning face of MJ over the kool aid shoes is mighty worrying... are these shoes just a lure for MJ's sick practises?

DrewP Mar 20th, 2009 02:25 AM

Oh. Yeah I forgot. That Monkey head does come with a remote control. I used to sell them at the now defunct Sharper Image store in the local mall. They were fantasticly over priced and you could set them up to be motion activated for several emotional responses (anger, happy, sad, excited...etc).

Copper Mar 20th, 2009 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeowMixMaster (Post 620114)
That one painting you saw with the nude woman and the centaur looks to be work done by Boris Vajello. I have a calendar that has his work on display. He does a lot of fantasy art like that. I dont care how much that one painting was, I'd still get it.

It *looks* like Boris, but it's not. (Fan of his myself.) True, the subject matter is the same, but the style is totally different. Boris' art has a lot more of a smoother quality to it. This one has more of a Frazetta style to it, though I don't think it's him either.

Grats on the lamp, too, Rog! I *love* finding treasures like that when you least expect it. And too true about seeing the action figures in the cases. Those are the type of people you know are just going to whip out the price guide when you ask them how much, heh.

Bavles Mar 20th, 2009 04:09 AM

this is awesome dude. I use to live only twenty minutes away from the rosebowl so it's really nice to see a familiar sight.

saturnknight Mar 20th, 2009 10:31 AM

awsome article RoG!
Check out Newfoundland some time, i'd gladly bring you around here, and there's a flea market here every sunday in a large mall where you can find anything

Earthbound_X Mar 20th, 2009 05:28 PM

When I lived in CA, we went to flea markets all the time.

I haven't been to one in over 10 years....

Marthaeus Autolykos Mar 20th, 2009 06:24 PM

Oh man, I remember playing with so many of those toys so long ago...and yes, I had the airport too! Many of which I'd forgotten about, such as battle beasts, but I can now vividly recall the tactile sensation of holding my thumb over the heat-sensitive decal to reveal each's elemental affiliation.
It's understandable how those Intellivision boxes were confused with Atari 2600; they had the same games and boxes; I had both of those games in the picture on my 2600. I WANT THOSE PANTHER TABLES!
Also, that creature bust you claim looks familiar, looks an awful lot like a Sleestack from the Kroft Bros "Land of the Lost."

PoGo Mar 20th, 2009 08:00 PM

wow. that was all out nifty. so many awesome toys and a bunch of random scattered other junk which I would list but I dont feel up to it. it just seems like self-horn tootery, which isnt worth it for a ghostbusters lunchbox and an unpackaged ultimate warrior figure. on the flipside of all that, the jason lamp looks awesome as all hell.

Godzilla Mar 20th, 2009 08:19 PM

Gremlins slumber tent?! Sweeet!

Nick Mar 20th, 2009 08:52 PM

Oh man, look at that lamp. You always find the coolest things, Rog. :(

Kat Mar 20th, 2009 09:37 PM

Where are you planning to put that lamp, Rog?

Because if I were you I would put it by my bed so I could fall asleep to the soothing demonic red serial killer light it povides.

KillerMcGee Mar 20th, 2009 09:46 PM

Hey -Rog- Think you will make it to Seattle for North America's biggest video game convention in September? It would make for a great I-mockery article. Lots of cool shit, and tons of dorks being... dorky.

cainecollin Mar 21st, 2009 12:01 AM

Looks kind of like Pumpkinhead

Maxwell Demon Mar 21st, 2009 12:13 AM

Rog, i have that monkey head and that is so totally the controller for it. if it isnt it looks exactly like it.

Mockery Mar 21st, 2009 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BABALITY PANCAKES (Post 620168)
I really want that lamp RoG. I will give you $200, PLEASE I MUST HAVE IT NO LYING PLEEEEEAASSSEEEEE

Heheh, sorry man, I've been looking for one of those for years. Check your local flea markets and yard sales, you never know what you'll find. If all else fails, there's always eBay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyJoJoJr (Post 620170)
Congrats on your find, I always love the feeling you get when you discover something rare like that.

Thanks man... I go to so many of these kind o' things, but it's only once in a blue moon that I find something that makes my jaw drop upon seeing it. It's definitely a good feeling when you find things like that... makes the trip all worthwhile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewP (Post 620182)
I just noticed something. Those Panther Tables are the same as that Panther statue from the Melrose Trading Post on page 1. Except at Melrose they didn't have any glass tops. Also every Flea Market I have been too has had Madballs almost every where I nearly have a complete collection and am only missing a few of the "Bad guys" from the carton (yet they were good in the comic)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copper (Post 620185)
And too true about seeing the action figures in the cases. Those are the type of people you know are just goingto whip out the price guide when you ask them how much, heh.

Yeah, I can't stand those guys. "Well this figure is graded 75 blahblahblah by the AFA!" Anybody who has their toys "graded" is into collecting them for all the wrong reasons, so you have two reasons not to buy from them: 1) they're overpriced and 2) you shouldn't support them financially out of principle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bavles (Post 620189)
this is awesome dude. I use to live only twenty minutes away from the rosebowl so it's really nice to see a familiar sight.

You ever been to the Rose Bowl Flea Market though? If not, you definitely should next month (Sunday, April 12th) since you live so close. I'll be going again I'm sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthaeus Autolykos (Post 620309)
Oh man, I remember playing with so many of those toys so long ago...and yes, I had the airport too! Many of which I'd forgotten about, such as battle beasts, but I can now vividly recall the tactile sensation of holding my thumb over the heat-sensitive decal to reveal each's elemental affiliation.
It's understandable how those Intellivision boxes were confused with Atari 2600; they had the same games and boxes; I had both of those games in the picture on my 2600. I WANT THOSE PANTHER TABLES!
Also, that creature bust you claim looks familiar, looks an awful lot like a Sleestack from the Kroft Bros "Land of the Lost."

Yeah Battle Beasts were amazingly fun... until those chest decals fell off. I read that they later released special super battle beasts who could defeat all three of the elements. Never saw those when I was a kid though. I'm guessing their element was "gun". As for the boxes, as I told executioneer, there actually were a bunch of Intellivision boxes in that pile (believe me I looked through 'em) but I guess they're not visibile in the one photo I took, oh well.)

Interesting about Sleestack though, I don't think the head shape is quite the same as the Sleestack I know. Sleestack rules.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kat (Post 620339)
Where are you planning to put that lamp, Rog? Because if I were you I would put it by my bed so I could fall asleep to the soothing demonic red serial killer light it provides.

It's like you read my mind. :picklehat

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerMcGee (Post 620341)
Hey -Rog- Think you will make it to Seattle for North America's biggest video game convention in September? It would make for a great I-mockery article. Lots of cool shit, and tons of dorks being... dorky.

PAX? I definitely plan on coming sometime, but it's hard because it's so close after Comic-Con (which I already spend most of my money at) and it's right when Halloween season starts here on I-Mockery, which is my favorite time o' year. I'm sure I'll make it there, it's just hard to say when it'll happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cainecollin (Post 620356)
Looks kind of like Pumpkinhead

Good call, it actually does resemble Pumpkinhead quite a bit. Maybe it was some art student's attempt at recreating Pumpkinhead, sans the menacing teeth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxwell Demon (Post 620358)
Rog, i have that monkey head and that is so totally the controller for it. if it isnt it looks exactly like it.

Are you serious?? Damnit, the vendor told me it didn't go with the monkey head. Maybe he misunderstood my question. Thanks for letting me know either way.

Copper Mar 21st, 2009 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockery (Post 620364)
Are you serious?? Damnit, the vendor told me it didn't go with the monkey head. Maybe he misunderstood my question. Thanks for letting me know either way.

Now you have a goal for your next visit!

Tanuki Mar 21st, 2009 09:10 AM

It's kinda sad that the first thing I noticed in the giant plastic ET picture was that they were selling the one Mary Kate and Ashley Barbie I didn't have when I was a kid. Damn it!

On a side note....SWORDS! ^_____^

...and why is Superman carrying Richard Pryor on that one book?

I saw that Adam-12 lunchbox at the thrift store once.

ARE YOU SERIOUS!? A SONIC POPSICLE!?

Okay, done spazzing.

Durin Mar 21st, 2009 01:22 PM

So was the lamp your only purchase there RoG? If not, It'd be kinda cool if ya posted a picture of all the other items that you deemed worthy of your dollars.

captain516 Mar 21st, 2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

why is Superman carrying Richard Pryor on that one book?
That was from the third Superman movie, where Pryor played a guy who teams up with a mad scientist to create an evil Superman.

mew barios Mar 22nd, 2009 12:43 AM

i'm heman i'm strong as can be
and i brush my teeth with regularity
once in the morning and once at bedtime
and after each meal so my teeth will shine
you'll remember this saying if you rehearse
and you'll be like the masters of the universe

Renny Mar 22nd, 2009 11:45 AM

"At first, I thought I found a gem in the form of an autographed Tick figure for 10 bux. Upon closer inspection,
however, I realized it was just a bunch of family members who wrote "Happy Birthday" all over the box." - that just made my day - I am still laughing! Great flea market - I would love to visit it - but since I cannot, these pictures will have to do!

Bujold Mar 22nd, 2009 12:08 PM

"If you're anywhere even remotely near Pasadena, I can't recommend checking out the Rose Bowl Flea Market enough."

Oh, believe me I would. However, 3400 miles from Pasadena is not "remotely near" enough for me. Even the closest flea markets of a scale nearing this are at least a day away from here.

Also, right next to the wrestlin' Smokey, there was something which looked oddly like that Inspector Gadget figure I remember wanting as a kid. That brought back some memories.

Kilgore Cod Mar 22nd, 2009 11:51 PM

Never realized how much Jim Carrey looks like Max Headroom.

TuxKamen Mar 23rd, 2009 05:08 AM

"Never realized how much Jim Carrey looks like Max Headroom."

Yeah, I noticed that, too, thought it was another Headroom pin till I recognized the Riddler outfit.

I'd love to go to a sale like this, were the prices pretty reasonable for the used MOTU figures? Saw quite a few there I was never able to pick up growing up (Ram Man, Hordak, Trap Jaw). Those masks looked great, too, and I'd love that Hook ad just to torment a friend of mine at work who refuses to see the movie cuz she insists "Peter Pan never grew up!" Also, now I gotta see if I can locate one of those lamps.

Robodie III Mar 23rd, 2009 05:30 PM

Man, I'm jealous of your trip ROG. I went to this same market once in 2002 or so, and every place was just selling a mountain of old clothing (and a few food vendors). The only good thing I bought, and it was probably the only non-clothing, was an old McDonalds Grimace cup.
Look at how the selection has changed! From Grimace cup to Jason lamp!

cranium_bear Mar 24th, 2009 02:23 PM

dude! so many thing i would have bought there! that place looks like a tacky heaven!

Mockery Mar 24th, 2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durin413 (Post 620433)
So was the lamp your only purchase there RoG? If not, It'd be kinda cool if ya posted a picture of all the other items that you deemed worthy of your dollars.

Yeah it was the only thing I purchased. Normally I would've bought a ton of stuff, but I'm running out of space at my current place and have a lot o' things stored away in boxes. So until I get some more space, I'm trying to exercise restraint by only purchasing the things I reeeeally wanna get... like the lamp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuxKamen (Post 620839)
I'd love to go to a sale like this, were the prices pretty reasonable for the used MOTU figures? Saw quite a few there I was never able to pick up growing up (Ram Man, Hordak, Trap Jaw).

Yep, they were all reasonably priced between 10 and 20 bux as I recall. They were loose figures for the most part, but they were complete with all their weapons & armor and sometimes even their mini-comics - which definitely isn't the norm when buying figures out of the box at places like this. Was nice to see a vendor who actually kept all those things together. I've seen a ton of Trap Jaw figures where his arm weapons were missing. What fun is that?

darqmommy Mar 25th, 2009 12:19 PM

i'm SO GLAD you finally showed me some pictures of old things and old jars! that really validates me... i'm starting to tear up a bit... especially the brown bottles and the acupuncture dummy, which i want!

wastedsage Mar 25th, 2009 02:04 PM

OMG! I'VE GOT THAT BORG LUNCHBOX! :) I didn't know that they had made a Klingon one as well.

All Hail Duke Mar 25th, 2009 08:53 PM

oh holy hells bells so much shit i'd love to have

0dd1 Mar 25th, 2009 11:47 PM

"Some kind of futuristic remote-controlled speed boat that wasn't very speedy on concrete."

I actually had that when I was younger. Some Tyco R/C vehicle that was able to go on land, water, and television, all without any scene transitions. Unfortunately, in my naive mind, I simply HAD to get it, only to learn that it takes five hours of charging to use it for 20 minutes, it really sucks in the water, and the concrete just really does a number on its...wheels? What do you call those things anyway? Corkscrews?

DirtySanchez Mar 26th, 2009 02:54 PM

yea, that definitely is the controller for the monkey head. my brother had one, it was great for freaking out little kids...and sometimes, late at night, it used to whisper things to me about bird people and time traveling.

Akktri Mar 28th, 2009 11:58 PM

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/r...t/P1220695.jpg
Would you call me a dork if I said this picture reminds me of Hank Hanegraaff?

Emu Mar 29th, 2009 12:51 PM

I'm sure there's a legitimate reason to own a room's worth of Nazi memorabilia, but I've never met anybody who did who wasn't a giant creepo.

k0k0 May 12th, 2009 05:47 AM

Space friend was one of my favorites.

ZeldaQueen Jun 3rd, 2009 12:03 AM

That creature cast did look vaguely familiar. I'd almost say it reminded me of Alien (the shape of the head) or the zombies from "I Am Legend" (the clay skin). Hmm...

Chojin Jun 6th, 2009 06:18 AM

I think every flea market has the bizarre nazi fanatic. I never see anyone buy anything from them, so they must be there to fulfill some sort of national quota.

Ozzman313 Jun 9th, 2009 09:13 PM

ROG could you score me some Max Headroom buttons? Also did have any Ghostbusters related stuff?

MarioRPG Jun 22nd, 2009 08:19 PM

Flea Markets contain both comedy gold and actual gold. I need to check if mine has some cool stuff.

GreenGoldBrown Sep 12th, 2009 10:37 PM

Nudie and his mandolin - Nudie suits were/are the apex in country music stage wear. Nudie created those rhinestone masterpiece jackets and sometimes pants that guys like Porter Wagoner and Little Jimmy Dickens wore on stage at the Opry. Elvis' jumpsuits? Nudie did 'em. Even retro cool guys like Dwight Yoakam and Brad Paisley wear them still. Nudie Cohn is a legend.

RedCometXIII Apr 20th, 2010 06:56 PM

I had that airport set! That thing was badass.

All Hail Duke Apr 4th, 2011 12:20 AM

didn't even notice the Nightslasher knife til now