I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philosophy, Politics, and News (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Schizophrenia (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69704322)

Tadao Mar 9th, 2010 06:41 PM

Schizophrenia

I'm watching a documentary on 2nd Life and there was something that really peeked my interests. Some dude made a virtual reality simulator on schizophrenia.

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/welcome...ych/index.html

I'm probably gonna follow the instructions and sign up for free trial to see this, but the reason why it hits home is because my youngest brother caught crazy.

I was the first one to find him deaded.

I hate you fags.

The Leader Mar 9th, 2010 09:02 PM

:(

Fathom Zero Mar 9th, 2010 09:28 PM

:lol good jokes, tadao!!!!!!!

Sam Mar 9th, 2010 09:33 PM

god you are like a broken record sometimes :rolleyes

Supafly345 Mar 10th, 2010 09:53 AM

The cancer of mental disorders =(

Tadao Mar 10th, 2010 11:31 AM

The only downside is signing up for 2nd life. I wish he made a java version.

executioneer Mar 10th, 2010 10:02 PM

i'd rather have schizophrenia than play second life

Pentegarn Mar 10th, 2010 10:03 PM

In all seriousness, I want to know what you find out about it as a matter of interest. My GF was all about Second Life and she might find it interesting

Evil Robot Mar 10th, 2010 10:25 PM

Theres no more gambling on SL so its now useless.

Tadao Mar 11th, 2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 675654)
In all seriousness, I want to know what you find out about it as a matter of interest. My GF was all about Second Life and she might find it interesting

Pentegarn Mar 12th, 2010 12:14 AM

That's both disturbing and depressing

Fathom Zero Mar 12th, 2010 12:37 AM

Holy shit, that's nuts.

kahljorn Mar 12th, 2010 08:16 AM

that sorta reminsd me of when i did hells bells :O

Zhukov Mar 12th, 2010 10:57 AM

Scary stuff. :\

VaporTrailx1 Mar 13th, 2010 10:54 PM

that's why i stay away from second life

Babs Mar 22nd, 2010 03:43 PM

reminds me of when I said goodbye to myself

ZeldaQueen Mar 23rd, 2010 01:14 AM

Shouldn't have watched that video at one in the morning... :hypno

executioneer Mar 23rd, 2010 01:24 AM

i liked that video better when it was call of cthulhu: dark corners of the earth

Tadao May 1st, 2010 01:41 AM

Going to do the NAMI walk tomorrow. I hope a freak doesn't decide I look like the devil and try to conquer me by eating my dick.

Sethomas Jun 9th, 2010 11:23 PM

I'm doing fine, but I had to edit out personal information because people who are more psychotic than I ever was decided to read this.

Fathom Zero Jun 10th, 2010 12:19 AM

I read everything you write intently, Seth.

But what compelled you to write so much?

Tadao Jun 10th, 2010 12:24 AM

I used to take way too much acid and for about a year straight, I believed I had the power to read minds. I would have interesting conversations with people all the time and they never knew it. :O

Pentegarn Jun 10th, 2010 06:28 AM

Seth's post is interesting. It makes you question the whole mental health system.

How many cases are needlessly medicated? Was Seth the exception or is his case perhaps part of a much more common problem?

If it is the latter, it is a frightening concept.

kahljorn Jun 10th, 2010 07:12 AM

I don't know if its a common problem per se but there are diseases which are thought to be induced by the psychologist through basically the power of suggestion/being in a distressed state. Multiple personalities is I think an example of this from what i remember.

there's like an article on wikipedia about iatrogenic mental illnesses:
Quote:

In psychology, iatrogenesis can occur due to misdiagnosis (including diagnosis with a false condition as was the case of hystero-epilepsy[3]). Conditions hypothesized as partially or completely iatrogenic include bipolar disorder,[4] dissociative identity disorder,[3][5] fibromyalgia,[6] somatoform disorder,[7] chronic fatigue syndrome,[7] posttraumatic stress disorder,[8] substance abuse,[9] antisocial youths[10] and others,[11] though research is equivocal for each condition.[citation needed] The degree of association of any particular condition with iatrogenesis is unclear and in some cases controversial. The over-diagnosis of psychological conditions (with the assignment of mental illness terminology) may relate primarily to clinician dependence on subjective criteria.[citation needed] The assignment of pathological nomenclature is rarely a benign process and can easily rise to the level of emotional iatrogenesis, especially when no alternatives outside of the diagnostic naming process have been considered
:lol antisocial youths

plus this isn't even counting the people who aren't really that bad but just want to get free awesome drugs like ativan or less awesome drugs like xanax.

Chojin Jun 10th, 2010 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by executioneer (Post 677560)
i liked that video better when it was call of cthulhu: dark corners of the earth

yeah, i was gonna say it's like silent hill, only it came like 8 years later and somehow looks worse

Colonel Flagg Jun 10th, 2010 09:16 AM

Welcome back Seth. :)

In more ways than just one.

The Leader Jun 10th, 2010 12:50 PM

Sethomas, the wind beneath my wings, have you gone back to school or are you just working?

Pentegarn Jun 10th, 2010 04:26 PM

I wonder if he is going to post again. I have a feeling this was a one and done for him :(

Sethomas Jun 11th, 2010 10:54 PM

Sorry, anti-stalking measures compel me to edit this.

Colonel Flagg Jun 11th, 2010 11:23 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. :(

I'm glad you are at last able to resume your studies (when your personal life permits, of course) - for what would you be studying? You probably have several choices in the humanities, I would think. Philosophy, Classics, Theology to name three. Or a combination?

Fathom Zero Jun 12th, 2010 07:14 AM

You lookin' good, Bob Ross. Fret not, your presence is always appreciated. I hope everything works out for you in the end.

The Leader Jun 12th, 2010 09:59 AM

I'm glad to hear that your mother is better. :>

Godspeed with the whole academic learnings and everything. Maybe you could get another book published. :o

Tadao Jun 12th, 2010 12:01 PM

This thread is crazy!

Colonel Flagg Jun 12th, 2010 08:17 PM

I hear voices. :shocked

kahljorn Jun 14th, 2010 04:08 AM

one time when i did a lot of meth i heard voices :O

Pentegarn Jun 14th, 2010 06:34 AM

Meth voices all tell you the same thing, "start fights and act like an ass"

Colonel Flagg Jun 14th, 2010 09:11 AM

Spoken with the voice of experience! :eek

Kitsa Jun 14th, 2010 05:05 PM

I'm glad your mother is better.

I was once an employee of IU also. I hope you're paid better than I was.

Pentegarn Jun 14th, 2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg (Post 689129)
Spoken with the voice of experience! :eek

Not quite in the way implied, but yes. That's why I don't do summer leagues anymore. Methheads don't have the attention span of a 36 week winter league

kahljorn Jun 14th, 2010 05:59 PM

Nah, that's the voices i hear when i get really drunk :lol

when i do a lot of meth its people going, "CAN HE HEAR US? I THINK HE CAN HEAR US"
"FINALLY :rolleyes"

Tadao Jun 15th, 2010 12:33 PM

When I do a lot of meth my voices tell me to get more meth.

Chojin Jun 18th, 2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg (Post 689038)
I hear voices. :shocked

Dimnos Jun 19th, 2010 12:30 AM

I bet a laxative would help with that. :\

kahljorn Jun 19th, 2010 04:49 AM

personally i think judging by the expression in his eyes he has already received that sort of help :(

MLE Jun 24th, 2010 06:00 PM

I just want to put my two cents in on the serious side of this discussion, as started by Sethomas. I was misdiagnosed for 5 years and mis-medicated for those 5, plus an additional 4. I have only recently been medicated properly, with the initial most-used medications for the disorders. I have minimal side effects, and all five medications are playing well with each other.

I'm furious that it took 9 years for this to happen, and I'm even more furious that because of these things happening, less people are seeking medical help (psychotherapy and medication both), due to the mistrust of the system and people.

The Leader Jun 24th, 2010 06:04 PM

Misdiagnosed as having schizophrenia or misdiagnosed as not having it?

Kitsa Jun 24th, 2010 08:45 PM

My OCD was diagnosed at age 9 and I was given a number of antidepressants for anxiety symptoms. They didn't do anything but make me an automaton or dullard, and the OCD symptoms kept going strong. I discontinued medication long ago; I think they're overused and often inappropriate to the situation. I do better without meds than I ever did with them, although it's situation-specific.

Colonel Flagg Jun 24th, 2010 08:55 PM

I hate the overuse of psychotropic medications. It speaks (unfortunately) to humankind's woefully incomplete understanding of the mind and brain.

The Leader Jun 24th, 2010 09:15 PM

Zoloft works just fine thank you very much. >:

Fathom Zero Jun 24th, 2010 09:20 PM

Zoloft am not good. >:

kahljorn Jun 24th, 2010 09:25 PM

its funny because within the mental health system its known that they have no fucking idea how the medicine works or what effects it will have or if it will even help. Its sort of like a shot in the dark where if it works, it works, so they keep doing it.

I think its becoming like a cultural thing. I know this lady that was basically a legal drug addict who basically pretended to have all kinds of illnesses so she could get drugs or whatever. Eventually her shitty lifestyle led her to have real problems so now she gets all kinds of hardcore drugs. Anyway, one of her kids was SAD about some shit so of course immediately she medicates her with anti-depressants. And it was being sad that like one person didnt like her in school or some stupid shit that normally parents just like have a talk with their kid and tell them THATS LIFE. But no she had to be medicated
one of her kids felt "LEFT OUT" cause she didn't get any pills, so her mom started giving her heartburn medication ;/ wtf? Are you TRYING TO RAISE DRUG ADDICTS?

not as relevant but this same person also smoked cigarettes while her child was in her wombbecause she heard that it will make them SMALLer and so it would be easier for her to have the child. that child has crazy ridiculous hardcore annoying ADHD. I hate her :( also she thinks she is a wonderful mother and frowns on ANY PERSON that smokes pot or does drugs.

man i could talk for ages about this stupid lady ;/

Babs Jun 24th, 2010 09:49 PM

Why are pills on the rise all of a sudden. Everyone's a fucking conniving pill addict now, just stealing from friends and family members to get "percocet's". A generation of vile mutants with an unquenchable hunger for substance induced cheap gratification. Lazy sloths with the appearance of a back up dancer in Digital Underground. A never ending nightmare that gets more mind numbingly redundant each day.

Tadao Jun 25th, 2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLE (Post 690118)
I just want to put my two cents in on the serious side of this discussion, as started by Sethomas.

WTF BITCH!

Fathom Zero Jun 25th, 2010 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babs (Post 690154)
Why are pills on the rise all of a sudden. Everyone's a fucking conniving pill addict now, just stealing from friends and family members to get "percocet's". A generation of vile mutants with an unquenchable hunger for substance induced cheap gratification. Lazy sloths with the appearance of a back up dancer in Digital Underground. A never ending nightmare that gets more mind numbingly redundant each day.

Which cyberpunk novel was that on the back of?

executioneer Jun 25th, 2010 01:41 AM

babality pancakes would you stop quoting things from frank millers "the goddamn batman" please

kahljorn Jun 25th, 2010 02:28 AM

pills are probably on the rise because of reality television and people who make it look ok plus the fact that its legal and people can easily justify themselves and even present themselves as victims of something.

Babs Jun 25th, 2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by executioneer (Post 690182)
babality pancakes would you stop quoting things from frank millers "the goddamn batman" please

Sorry, it's just defacto to come out of my mouth.

Fathom Zero Jun 25th, 2010 06:02 PM

DO YOU KNOW WHAT DE FACTO MEANS?

Babs Jun 25th, 2010 06:28 PM

Pretentious latin faggotry

kahljorn Jun 26th, 2010 03:30 AM

THATS WHAT IT IS NOT WHAT IT MEANS

I THINK WHAT HE MEANT WAS IT DEFECATED OUT OF HIS MOUTH

Babs Jun 26th, 2010 01:30 PM

NOPE WRONG YOU ARE VERY WRONG. I DON'T TALK SHIT.

The Leader Jun 26th, 2010 02:09 PM

HE JUST EATS IT

Babs Jun 26th, 2010 02:24 PM

:yum

kahljorn Jun 26th, 2010 08:31 PM

YOU TALK SHIT YOU EAT SHIT

Babs Jun 26th, 2010 09:13 PM

I LIVE SHIT

Kitsa Jun 26th, 2010 10:32 PM

i don't shut up i grow up
and when i see you i throw up
and then your mom comes around the corner and licks it up

The Leader Jun 26th, 2010 10:40 PM

AW SNAP

Kitsa Jun 26th, 2010 10:43 PM

if you like that, I've got a riveting one about milk and lemonade

The Leader Jun 26th, 2010 10:47 PM

No, that one is just gross. :(

Pentegarn Jun 26th, 2010 10:49 PM

Got any involving rubber and glue?

Kitsa Jun 26th, 2010 10:54 PM

My parents tell me that at my first piano recital at like age 3 or 4 or something, some other kid who was waiting his turn onstage turned to me and was loudly doing the milk-milk-lemonade pantomime. Apparently I had a look of disgust on my face that got a laugh from the audience. I remember nothing about this.

Zhukov Jun 26th, 2010 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsa (Post 690352)
My parents tell me that at my first piano recital at like age 3 or 4 or something, some other kid who was waiting his turn onstage turned to me and was loudly doing the milk-milk-lemonade pantomime. Apparently I had a look of disgust on my face that got a laugh from the audience. I remember nothing about this.

:lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babs (Post 690154)
. Lazy sloths with the appearance of a back up dancer in Digital Underground.

What? Like 2 Pac? I don't remember the back up dancers from Digital Underground being anything other than normal back up dancers.

Babs Jun 26th, 2010 11:53 PM

O
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhukov (Post 690353)
:lol

What? Like 2 Pac? I don't remember the back up dancers from Digital Underground being anything other than normal back up dancers.

Actually, I was referencing towards tupac.

Fathom Zero Jun 27th, 2010 12:17 AM

Fucking Tupac and his Groucho Marx burn victim eyebrows.

Colonel Flagg Jun 27th, 2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsa (Post 690352)

YOU GO GIRL!