I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Art Chat (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69698552)

Chojin Dec 29th, 2007 09:40 PM

Art Chat

I really didn't want to make a thread for this.

So I did, but I didn't, you feel me, playa?

Anyway I'm using a wacom now, but when I'm doing pixel art in Photoshop, if I touch the pen down somewhere, it'll mark it as me having done something in the history, but nothing will actually show up. But a pixel WILL show up if I put the pen down next to the pixel I actually want and drag it over there.

For example, pretend that the number pad is a square of 9 pixels:

If I want 5 to be black, I can't just click 5. I have to click on, say, 6, and then drag over to 5. And when I do that, 6 doesn't change color.

It's just annoying, does anyone know a fix?

Tadao Dec 29th, 2007 09:48 PM

I think Art Chat could be a good idea. Some things just don't need a whole thread dedicaded to it.

executioneer Dec 29th, 2007 09:58 PM

maybe all the forums should have a stickied chat-style thread! it could work!

MLE Dec 29th, 2007 10:25 PM

Yes, I agree, but I don't know the answer to his question ;< does anyone know so far?

ZAKO the GREAT Dec 30th, 2007 08:57 PM

i guess it might be something to do with the tool you're choosing. like, when you choose paint brush, even with 100% opacity, hardness & flow and 1px, even a single click, what i get it's a 4 pixel instead of 1.
00 = 1px

and i choose pencil tool with the same settings (no hardness), what i got it's a solid, 1 pixel block.

0 = 1px

i dunno, since i don't have my wacom with me now, what i guess it's either the tools you chose, or the pressure of your wacom pen when you use it as it'll determine the color it to get the real "pencil on paper" kind of feeling unlike mouse.
hope it helps!

Chojin Dec 30th, 2007 09:51 PM

I dunno, I tried pushing REALLY HARD in one spot to get a point to show up, but just pushing lightly and dragging makes points show up everywhere else.

zeldasbiggestfan Dec 30th, 2007 10:16 PM

Is your hand resting on the pad of it? That can make different points when your on it too. I'm probably wrong but you might be doing it and not realizing it.

ZAKO the GREAT Dec 30th, 2007 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeldasbiggestfan (Post 517151)
Is your hand resting on the pad of it? That can make different points when your on it too. I'm probably wrong but you might be doing it and not realizing it.

protip:
hands on the pad will NEVER make any point.:\

Fathom Zero Dec 30th, 2007 10:28 PM

Unless it's a hyper-expensive multi-touch pad. Oy.

And by multi-touch I'm referring to the Dell Latitude and the like. >:

Chojin Dec 30th, 2007 10:38 PM

No, fathom, because only the wacom pen tip will react to the wacom surface.

MLE Dec 30th, 2007 11:23 PM

I'm pretty certain that ZAKO, Eric (and I) know more about Wacom tablets than zeldasbiggestfan and fathom zero. Being that we're artists. And own them.

Fathom Zero Dec 31st, 2007 12:17 AM

I forgot it was all wacom. And I guarantee you that I AT LEAST know as much as digitizers as you. I've owned about five (tablets, that is). Broke some of them, but I've used 'em. If you tried doing it on a touchscreen, you'd get vectoring issues.

I want me one of those Cintiq ones. Y'know, the ones with the screens embedded into the absolutely gigantic drawing surface. I'd settle for the 12WX model, though.

MLE Dec 31st, 2007 12:22 AM

I can't draw on Cintiqs. It's just not right for some reason. If I can see what I'm drawing, I'd rather draw on paper, just personal preference.

ZAKO the GREAT Dec 31st, 2007 12:23 AM

my tablet is rather small, but i'm happy with it!

Fathom Zero Dec 31st, 2007 12:25 AM

I like to have my hand leading on top of what is being drawn. It's one of those personal preference things, I guess.

MLE Dec 31st, 2007 12:25 AM

I have a bamboo wacom, and it's surprisingly nice. It's about 4x6ish (i'm not gonna bother taking measurements) active working space, and it's widescreen. For under $100 and right when my intuos2 broke, it was a good deal!

Fathom Zero Dec 31st, 2007 12:29 AM

I've really been thinking about the Bamboo. Does it feel cheap? Would it break if I just tossed it in a bag full of stuff?

MLE Dec 31st, 2007 12:32 AM

No, especially since they made the cord dicsonnectable.

Eric and I both have them, since I bought him one for christmas, and he agrees that it doesn't feel cheap. I love the pen stand, and the mouse feels more sturdy than my Intuos2 mouse (which broke both times I owned an Intuos2. You may not feel the same way about the mouse, since it's light, but I like it much better.

Just a cute side note: the eraser tip sounds like and feels like an eraser when you use it. I fell in love with that.

PS - there are buttons on the top that you don't need the pen to hit them now. Zoom/Scroll wheel, a page back and page forward buttons, and two softkeys. I set mine to notepad and calculator.

Fathom Zero Dec 31st, 2007 12:38 AM

:hypno The eraser sounds cool.

I can't decide if I should get this before or after another... tablet PC. Hahaha, they're piling up on me. I'm thinking a Fujitsu Stylistic. Screw the keyboard.

At the prices of them, though, especially with the Stylistic being used, I could get both.

ZAKO the GREAT Jan 2nd, 2008 04:47 AM

i really need to get back to the "pencil & paper" type of work... too much mouse & comp work sometimes makes me forget the real pleasure of drawing :(

MLE Jan 2nd, 2008 12:00 PM

I agree. I have a drawing of a naked comic book loving girl on paper somewhere. I loved drawing her.

bigtimecow Jan 2nd, 2008 12:00 PM

i'm also having problems with my wacom tablet:

when i plug it into my laptop it works fine with the mouse, but when i use the pen's left and right click buttons on the side of it or tap it down. they all register as right-clicks.

!?!?!?!?!?!

MLE Jan 2nd, 2008 12:15 PM

First of all, what type of wacom do you have? Graphire, Intuos, Bamboo? It should all be the same really, but go into your pen tablet settings, and you check to make sure that the buttons are set properly.

If it is an intuos or something similar enough, you might have two tabbable buttons on the top or something that say PEN and MOUSE. It's possible you tapped MOUSE with your wacom pen, and made it so your tablet thinks you want to use the pen as a mouse. The first time I accidentally did that, i freaked the fuck out.

Fathom Zero Jan 2nd, 2008 08:54 PM

I really like Ralph Steadman's work.

ZAKO the GREAT Jan 2nd, 2008 09:22 PM

free strokes at it's best.
but i think his writing style is somewhat similar to Futura's (yes, i do mean the artist, not the typeface.)

Supafly345 Jan 5th, 2008 03:41 AM

I love my wacom even if I hadn't used it in over a year! But yeah, I do remember something occassionally bothering me with it that I had to move it slightly when it touched down sometimes to make a dot. When the pressure setting are on the paintbrush however I never had this problem, even though sometimes this would result in a faint dot.

And fathom, how about touching the pen to the pad? That counts as a left click.

Tadao Jan 5th, 2008 02:34 PM

MLE : How would you feel if we ran our own art contests? Nothing to poll or vote on. No prizes.

Just a thing where someone posts something and we see how others might inerpet it or mess about with it. Not like a photochop contest (although those are fun). But like, if I posted an Xray of my skull, people could play around with my nogin.

MLE Jan 6th, 2008 01:56 PM

As for individual contests, I'd like it if people could just PM the idea to me, and as soon as I say it's a go (like Tadao, yours is a go), You can make the thread, and when I sticky it until it's over, I'll add the word CONTEST in there as well. The fact that it's stickied means it's MLE approved ;D

I think contests are a wonderful idea! I've been playing around with some ideas for specific art contests and possible prizes. If anyone has some ideas, let me know!

terrva Jan 6th, 2008 02:10 PM

As far as contests go, i'm down for anything. I don't have any ideas for one, though.

MLE Jan 6th, 2008 02:25 PM

There will be an idea thread for them as well that will be stickied.

Tadao Jan 6th, 2008 03:58 PM

The one I pmed you was a contest type thing. The one above was more like a photoshop thing (but not). I guess I'll come up with an example sometime and show you what I mean when you have an contest Idea sticky. but It's not a contest really, unless you wanted it to be. [/ramble]

MLE Jan 6th, 2008 09:56 PM

I guess it would be contests and events, then. The idea you submitted would likely be an event, since it's unlikely that that would have prizes associated. I'd like to keep them with reasonable definitions.

ZAKO the GREAT Jan 6th, 2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadao (Post 519839)
MLE : How would you feel if we ran our own art contests? Nothing to poll or vote on. No prizes.

Just a thing where someone posts something and we see how others might inerpet it or mess about with it. Not like a photochop contest (although those are fun). But like, if I posted an Xray of my skull, people could play around with my nogin.

cool! you are the GODDAMN hero! :rock
i'm in for whatever you guys think of.

executioneer Jan 6th, 2008 10:56 PM

remember when we use to do that in the photoshops/captions forum ;_;

MLE Jan 6th, 2008 10:59 PM

yeah, and i really liked SOME of it. it would at least make this forum more interesting. I want to make it clear that I don't want this to be a hilarious photoshop forum. It's still art. I have events that i'll run that you can be funny with terrible mspaint if you want

executioneer Jan 6th, 2008 11:02 PM

i never use terrible mspaint, unless i'm at work and can't use a real gfx program (and even then i generally try and fake it :x)

MLE Jan 6th, 2008 11:13 PM

give me ideas! my event idea sticky is up.

ZAKO the GREAT Jan 7th, 2008 12:19 AM

i'm kinda sucked t making funny stuffs. guess i might be able to do it better if it's something more to the art.

MLE Jan 7th, 2008 12:26 AM

With the art events, it can be funny, artistic, or both! really anything to be creative as long as it has some interpretation of the word. There's similar workings on other art forums, so it was a good suggestion from tadao!

ZAKO the GREAT Jan 7th, 2008 12:28 AM

he's really the BRAIN here

MLE Jan 7th, 2008 12:48 AM

I hope you will participate in the events :< and give me some ideas, too!

Sam Jan 7th, 2008 02:18 AM

The best art event we ever had was the "Celebrate the Loaf" Contest. :tear

MLE Jan 7th, 2008 02:29 AM

I AGREE. you need to help me think of other art contests. I WILL MEET YOU ON AIM.

Emu Jan 8th, 2008 02:04 PM

Seeing this forum with activity is fucking weird

Guitar Woman Jan 8th, 2008 05:40 PM

I'd like to thank Sam and this thread in general for making me remember the Catbread contest

MLE Jan 8th, 2008 06:10 PM

I think I'll run some periodic contests for something, like, maybe an original sketch of mine or a stuffed animal or something that some people might get competitive over. I like the premise of the loaf contest, and I think i'll model the first one after it. I'd like to let the icon designing contest finish first, though.

Tadao Jan 8th, 2008 06:37 PM

[perv] Will the stuffy smell like you and be wearing your undies? [/perv]

MLE Jan 8th, 2008 06:55 PM

most likely not

bigtimecow Jan 9th, 2008 12:38 PM

this is my new favorite forum now

:love art shit :love

bigtimecow Jan 9th, 2008 01:32 PM

oh, and hey, check out my exquisite corpse project! plz

MLE Jan 9th, 2008 08:42 PM

YOUR PROJECT IS MLE APPROVED, BTC.

Tadao Jan 9th, 2008 09:13 PM

You need to make an approval stamp. Maybe that can be a contest.

MLE Jan 9th, 2008 09:20 PM

i'll make an MLE approved stamp ;> Cause you asked nicely!

Fathom Zero Jan 9th, 2008 09:46 PM

I want the book of Luis Royo's "Dome" if anyone wants to know what to get me for my birthday.

MLE Jan 9th, 2008 09:50 PM

Luis Royo is an amazing artist. I have a sketches book from him, and his poses and faces always give me inspiration.

Fathom Zero Jan 9th, 2008 10:00 PM

He's always got something huge going with Heavy Metal. I was reading about him completing Dome on the ceiling of this Russian mansion and I was taken aback by it and how much it resembles the Sistine Chapel.

MLE Jan 9th, 2008 10:12 PM

Do you happen to have a link?

Fathom Zero Jan 9th, 2008 10:15 PM

I have the article. I'll see if I can scan it, or at the very least, get a snapshot of it.

Here's a link to the book: http://www.amazon.com/Dome-Luis-Royo...9934939&sr=1-1

MLE Jan 9th, 2008 10:15 PM

Thanks! I'd really like to see what he's done with it.

Tadao Jan 10th, 2008 02:57 AM

I feel so bleh lately. I have a great idea for "Alarm", I just don't feel like creating it though. I don't have block, I have lack of motivation.

MLE Jan 10th, 2008 03:38 AM

Tadao, I'd really like to see what you have for us ;< You have until Sunday to put it up ;o I've decided after every week, I'll repost the final versions of everyone's in the first post of the thread, then lock. I wish I had a sub forum under Art Shit to store this stuff in :<

Tadao Jan 11th, 2008 06:39 PM

I think I'll just do a quick and dirty drawing of my Alarm idea. I like painting and drawing in the abstract, and I'm not feeling this one.

Tadao Jan 12th, 2008 01:31 AM

Very nice :)

ZAKO the GREAT Jan 19th, 2008 05:34 AM

OMFG

SHIT! where the fuck is all my stuff? i just lost all my uploaded stuffs (photo, artworks, docs, etc...) due to the email fucked-up :(

MLE Jan 19th, 2008 08:52 AM

:< I hope you have copies saved on your harddrive :<

Tadao Jan 21st, 2008 11:13 PM

I need to find a different style or art form. I don't feel the creative juices flowing any more. Has anyone worked with clay? I think it would be fun to make something and then paint it. I don't want clay that I have to bake, and I don't know if there is one that exists that is like that. I'm shure clay drys ok from the air, but what does baking do? Keep it from regaining moisture in the future?

MLE Jan 22nd, 2008 08:10 AM

clay changes the chemical composition of it. It turns some clays to porcelain and some to other things similar, obviously. There are some good air-dry clays out there, but it's hard to work with them, because they don't stay pliable until you decide to cook them. You might want to make a compromise and go for Sculpey. You don't have to bake it in a kiln, but you do bake it in an oven.

Tadao Jan 22nd, 2008 04:56 PM

how long in the oven? love the new art theme this week (wild).

MLE Jan 22nd, 2008 04:58 PM

it depends on how thick the clay is. you shouldn't make it more than 2 inches thick, because it will burn on the outside before cooking the inside. mainly it's like, 10-20 minutes.

Tadao Jan 22nd, 2008 05:04 PM

i'll look into it. thats not bad oven time. it's probably not as cheap as a lump of clay.

Fathom Zero Jan 26th, 2008 07:59 PM

I felt compelled to put this here:

Fathom Zero Jan 29th, 2008 10:25 PM

You could turn the Weekly Art events into some kind of limited edition hardcover book at the end of the year.

MLE Jan 29th, 2008 10:27 PM

It's a nice idea, but I don't think we have any sort of money for that.

Tadao Jan 29th, 2008 10:29 PM

cut into the zombie fund

MLE Jan 29th, 2008 10:34 PM

That's not my fund ;<

Fathom Zero Jan 29th, 2008 10:48 PM

My mum said Staples can do 200 pages for $16, or at 8 cents per side. (duh)

So it wouldn't be too bad to mass produce one, or at least make a limited run. I'd preorder.

MLE Jan 29th, 2008 11:22 PM

So, if the book was smaller, it would be cheaper? like, 100 pages for $8?

Grislygus Jan 30th, 2008 05:03 PM

If anyone cares, I finished that 'Wild' drawing

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...annahEcho1.jpg

Tadao Jan 30th, 2008 05:24 PM

I like it a lot Gus! I see peniseses in everything now :(

MLE Jan 31st, 2008 12:31 AM

Gus and Nick, both of your Wild drawings have been added to the Wild thread for posterity :>

Thanks for your dedication! I love it!

-MLE

MLE Jan 31st, 2008 05:44 AM

Everyone also please check out the WEEKLY:Robot thread on page two for ZAKO's late addition!
http://www.i-mockery.com/forum/showt...9698761&page=2

Pub Lover Jan 31st, 2008 08:32 AM

Could you spoiler or NSFW it? Right now I'm fine, but I've had bosses that figure any sort of nipple is bad. :janetjackson

Unless all of you are more fortunate than I have been in the past.

Tadao Jan 31st, 2008 01:51 PM

I'm going to have to scan my spiral submission.

Fixt

Guitar Woman Jan 31st, 2008 02:22 PM

I thought of a fantastic photo for "Wild" today, but I wasn't even aware of the event before it got closed :<

I think these should run for two weeks, the one-week time period is a little bit restrictive.

Tadao Jan 31st, 2008 02:26 PM

Yeah, and they could over lap each other too. So a new one running every week staying open for 2 weeks.

Tadao Jan 31st, 2008 03:08 PM

Ugh, I edited my comment instead of quoting it!

Ok let's try again, is it gay to pencil in your art before painting over it with acrylic? I've just started working with acrylic and you can't do that with water colors, so I'm not in that habit.

Grislygus Jan 31st, 2008 03:13 PM

No.

In fact, Andy Charles (you don't know who he is, but he's a good friend and a damned good artist so trust me) always pencils his stuff before doing watercolors.

Grislygus Jan 31st, 2008 03:15 PM

In fact, go look up Andy Charles right now and buy a print, he's pretty much ignored.

MLE Feb 1st, 2008 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pub Lover (Post 529044)
Could you spoiler or NSFW it? Right now I'm fine, but I've had bosses that figure any sort of nipple is bad. :janetjackson

Unless all of you are more fortunate than I have been in the past.

FIXED

sorry. all the pretty colors made me blind to the nsfw.

Fathom Zero Feb 2nd, 2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLE (Post 528699)
So, if the book was smaller, it would be cheaper? like, 100 pages for $8?

Sorry 'bout the lateness, but yes. It should. I do indeed think that one could mass-produce a book for a fair amount like that.

MLE Feb 5th, 2008 12:46 AM

Gloss color pages? I don't like spiral bound, but I guess I could live with it.

Fathom Zero Feb 5th, 2008 03:59 PM

I believe so. They do binding.

Tadao Feb 5th, 2008 04:02 PM

I'd probably pay full price and shipping for it. There is some great stuff. If you are considering this, you might want to add in the beggining of the weekly thread that thier art may be used for print unless stated that they don't want it to be.

Tadao Feb 15th, 2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacks (Post 532486)
I'm not sure what he said in here but I went and looked at the completely uncalled for things he said in Tadao's thread and it just looked like an honest opinion. Is it really that big of a deal?

On that night he went to 3 peoples art threads just say negative things. In mine, he really didn't say anything at all. He didn't point out why my art should not be displayed, called my photo's photoshopped, blah blah. He was just on the rag or something. I don't like it (nor do most) because art is sensitive to some and we'd all like to see more of it, rather than have some guy who thinks he can draw faces tell other what they are doing wrong.

Fathom Zero Feb 15th, 2008 07:28 PM

Rookie looks familiar.

ZAKO the GREAT Feb 22nd, 2008 05:22 AM

NEED HELP!

im currently doing some designs for a company (if anyone is curious, here the link to the company's site HERE.)
and i need some photos like this :

so i need everyone (or anyone, so to speak..) girls or guys, who willing to help a poor soul:x, to send me pics of yourself, or anyone, wearning BLANK TEE, so i can place in the design...
and i might have nothing to give back to you guys in return, but please, help me.

if there's anyone who is kind enough to do me that favor, please pm me, ok?

Tadao Feb 22nd, 2008 01:44 PM

Do you need a white background or just a blank background?

Fathom Zero Feb 22nd, 2008 03:57 PM

I'll do it. Does it have to be white?

ZAKO the GREAT Feb 22nd, 2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadao (Post 534012)
Do you need a white background or just a blank background?

anything will do, any bg you choose. it need not to be white or blank. but i do think having something to show in the bg is always better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 534052)
I'll do it. Does it have to be white?

not rly. :lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you can actually do anything (eating, sleeping, fighting, shitting...etc...) it's just that i need it to be BLANK T-SHIRT (white tee is always the best, but it's AOK for other colors.) and it's visible for me to put in the designs. and the rest is up to you all. do anything you want!:rock
once i'm finish up, i'll post the picture here for you to see.

Tadao Feb 22nd, 2008 08:57 PM

So flip off the camera?