I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Weekly Game Review: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69698995)

MockBot Feb 7th, 2008 08:03 PM

Weekly Game Review: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Game Review: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Protoclown Feb 7th, 2008 08:14 PM

THIS GAME MADE ME SO MAD >:

Dr. Boogie Feb 7th, 2008 08:24 PM

Me too. Luckily, video game rentals were only for 2 days back then, so I put it out of my mind and moved onto the next.

Protoclown Feb 7th, 2008 08:29 PM

I owned it, so of course it tormented me forever. I got past the underwater level once but had like ONE turtle left at that point, and he very quickly died.

Mockery Feb 7th, 2008 08:36 PM

I loved this game actually, but yes, it was insanely frustrating at times... especially with those damned underwater time bomb defusing levels. I also didn't like how they made my favorite turtle, Raphael, the least useful one of the entire group. Raph is a total badass, yet the one turtle you always wanted to keep alive in this game was Donatello. On the plus side, I did eventually beat the game and was quite proud of it at the time. It also has one of the better soundtracks from the NES era thanks to good ol' Konami.

Tom Foolery Feb 7th, 2008 09:41 PM

I sacrificed two NES controllers, one volume control knock, one NES console, and two copies of the game itself to the gods of frustration and anger while playing this game. I made it to the technodrome last time I played it on the Wii. Then I kicked a hole in the wall and vowed never to touch this game again.

mew barios Feb 7th, 2008 09:47 PM

my brother and i pooled our money following christmas and bought this game shortly after it came out, it was the last one at toysrus. we felt very fortunate :o turtles fans were we, and it was unusual for us to get a game near its release cuz our rents hated how we screamed at the tv and said we had to buy games ourselves and shoulder the blame for our own unhappiness. anywayz

it wasnt til years later that i heard about how this game is almost universally hated, but i didnt understand why. i mean, battletoads, ninja gaiden, countless others enjoyed popularity despite their painful difficulty. this was a game with good controls, good sounds, great music, and far from impossible. though you definitely had to work for it.

the arcade game was massively popular, and thats the game people wanted to come home, not some platformer however solid it was. but still, i liked this game. when i wasn't screaming at it.

the bomb defusing part wasn't that hard though sorry :<

saturnknight Feb 7th, 2008 09:58 PM

i used to own the game, and i have the rom now, but i agree, it is frustrating.

executioneer Feb 7th, 2008 10:49 PM

the angry nintendo nerd sucks at nintendo games, i'd be angry too

Tetsu Deinonychus Feb 7th, 2008 10:54 PM

Anyway, while it is insanely hard, I always have and always will LOVE this game.

In fact, the sequels kinda bore me. They're fun to play with a friend, but on your own, they're pretty dull.

This one was more-so the "loner's TMNT game", and I like that.

Also, I once watched a friend of mine, that lived next door, beat the whole game without a Game-Genie or anything like that. It was amazing!

neoboman Feb 7th, 2008 11:23 PM

That is one of his better videos.

Pub Lover Feb 7th, 2008 11:40 PM

There was a time that I considered this the best game ever, but I can't remember seeing the Turtle Van stage more than once.

Emu Feb 7th, 2008 11:49 PM

Way to spam up the article, guys :rolleyes

The bomb part was not THAT hard. The only thing about this game is that if you switched turtles, the other ones didn't heal, as though they sat in the turtle van and continued to bleed while your next turtle went out and got his ass kicked.

executioneer Feb 8th, 2008 12:09 AM

thats why you find an area with a close-to-the-entrance pizza and keep goin back and forth to it until everyone's better

PROTIP:
leonardo and michaelangelo do more damage when their health is low, so don't worry so much about them getting damaged

executioneer Feb 8th, 2008 12:16 AM

PROTIP #2
the boomerang is the second-best throwing weapon - it doesn't have a very long range, but once one of your characters gets it you can give it to all of them by having the character who has them throw three and then switching to another turtle, who then catches them and hey presto now two turtles have throwing weapons.

dj boobs Feb 8th, 2008 01:13 AM

Where is the DAMN ROPE!!! I don't know what they're talking about!

dj boobs Feb 8th, 2008 01:16 AM

Seriously, though; I played through the first level of this game so many times that I could actually get through the damn dam untouched but I still never made it past the second level.

Mockery Feb 8th, 2008 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emu (Post 530605)
Way to spam up the article, guys :rolleyes

The bomb part was not THAT hard. The only thing about this game is that if you switched turtles, the other ones didn't heal, as though they sat in the turtle van and continued to bleed while your next turtle went out and got his ass kicked.

Took care o' the spam.

Anyway, I recall the bomb part was pretty tricky where you had to swim through that electrified-seaweed crap. Defusing them on time wasn't too hard, it was just getting through it without losing too much of your turtle energy... or, I suppose I should say, your turtle power.

T.U.R.T.L.E. POWER

saturnknight Feb 8th, 2008 07:05 AM

The bomb part is easier for us now because we've become more patient at that stage as we got older, i know as a kid, if i never had a Game Genie, i'd have never passed it. besides, as a kid, who wanted to finish a stage without using their favourite turtle?

Jaimas Feb 8th, 2008 08:41 AM

I remember using Mikey for the Bomb defusal segment because he generally was the worst; at least Raph had speed on his side. The game's biggest emphasis is knowing where to go and who to use when; patience is a huge virtue in this game. That one electric seaweed segment can suck the whitest part of my ass, though.

Well, that, and being a dick and stockpiling Scrolls. Lots of them. It's the strongest sub-weapon and horribly rapes most bosses.

Pentegarn Feb 8th, 2008 09:58 AM

Raph shined against flying enemies, if he hit a flying enemy he did as much damage as Don. He was far from useless, it was just more of a specialized useful. I remember the whole Mike doing more damage when hurt thing, but I didn't put 2 and 2 together then, I just thought it was some sort of glitch.

I hated the bombs in the dam stage too, but I learned that economic swapping of turtles along with going in and out of the building near the beginning of stage three to recover health made this stage one of the easiest ones actually.

Overall, I thought it was one of the better NES games. I still have my copy.

rizzo Feb 8th, 2008 01:35 PM

The bomb stage was cake, the problem was I could never figure out where the hell to go after beating it. Which damn manhole? I don't friggen know!!

Nick Feb 8th, 2008 02:29 PM

While I agree that the game was almost impossible to beat, it was one of my favorite NES games when I was a kid. I still prefer TMNT 2, though.

Tetsu Deinonychus Feb 8th, 2008 04:04 PM

(Sorry, about my contribution to the spam earlier, wasn't thinking).

Does anybody else here love the intro movie? Not to mention, the way they used the comic's art-style for it (Hell, the picture on the label is the cover of issue #4).

Also, gotta love the music during that intro. I came to associate that song with TMNT as much as the classic toon theme song.

Damn, I love this game!

Furry_Fan Feb 8th, 2008 05:32 PM

hate this goddamn game.. played till i got to the dam and every time the bomb defuse shit screwed me over.. I think i made it past that part like once or twice without cheating as a kid...