I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Which bands are awesome measuring sticks/estimates for finding blow hards, douchebags (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69705326)

Shyandquietguy Nov 18th, 2010 12:08 AM

Which bands are awesome measuring sticks/estimates for finding blow hards, douchebags

pretentious mooks, etc.

I'll gladly admit, it's amazing I could even speak to people without passing the thought of being able to offend them when I took GWAR way too seriously when I was in a phase of "Excessive gore and violence is stupid!" Wait, I didn't. I was also "Edgy" and "crass" as fuck. :( I need research!

I'm glad I hate myself as much as I do now!

Fathom Zero Nov 18th, 2010 12:21 AM

Portugal the Man

executioneer Nov 18th, 2010 12:21 AM

all of them

Esuohlim Nov 18th, 2010 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 704425)
Portugal the Man

http://www.i-mockery.com/forum/showp...ostcount=68844

Anything labelled "indie".

Ween >:

10,000 Volt Ghost Nov 18th, 2010 11:05 AM

Nickeldumb.
Phish
Sublime

MLE Nov 18th, 2010 11:21 AM

Death Cab for Cutie

executioneer Nov 18th, 2010 01:18 PM

portishead

Tadao Nov 18th, 2010 01:33 PM

Moby
U2

Esuohlim Nov 18th, 2010 01:55 PM

Brian Eno
Mars Volta

Ex Leper Nov 18th, 2010 02:01 PM

Prince

executioneer Nov 18th, 2010 02:27 PM

zappa

10,000 Volt Ghost Nov 18th, 2010 02:50 PM

ADAM SANDLER

edit: ten years ago

Esuohlim Nov 18th, 2010 03:01 PM

The Beatles
Eminem
Nirvana

executioneer Nov 18th, 2010 03:24 PM

seriously, every fandom has blowhard douchebags and every fandom has nice awesome people

don't judge people based on the shit they like

MLE Nov 18th, 2010 03:41 PM

I'd agree with that, but everyone I've know that was a fanboy of Nickelback or Tool has been a tool. Not just y'know enjoying the music, but going out of their way to have bumper stickers, posters, and other things of the sort.

I'm amazed to type this, but for the most part, ignore willie's post.

Esuohlim Nov 18th, 2010 03:54 PM

In my experience, people who adjust their outward appearance to reflect the music that they listen are the only music fans I don't like. So emos, goths, heavily pierced punk fans, all black-wearing long-haired metal fans, flannel-wearing grunge fans, tight pants and Buddy Holly glasses wearing indie fans, etc.

I mean I guess these people are trying make a statement or whatever, but I find it dumb. And when you actually talk to these people most of them only talk about the culture related to their musical preferences. It's about as one-dimensional as a personality could get.

10,000 Volt Ghost Nov 18th, 2010 04:24 PM

MC FRONTALOT

executioneer Nov 18th, 2010 09:56 PM

man fanboys are annoying no matter who they're fanning :/ FANBOYS ARE EXEMPT FROM MY POST

see also: juggalos, juggalettes, juggalermaphrodites, etc

Shyandquietguy Nov 18th, 2010 11:42 PM

Two things you guys! I had the same sentiment and open mindedness that Willie explained but I have beaten off of that path way too long ago! I don't know if I'll get back to that!

I also have the same sentiment as esuolhim towards people who go all out or even slightly model themselves after their culture. But I've never even talked to them! I even hate it when people wear only t-shirts, or even hats, with band names!

Mother fucker, I don't know if this is the worst irony or the funniest shit I've seen all week.

But yeah, I do have to say Moby is terrible as I liked him in my teenage years and when I listen to him now, the only thoughts that come to mind is the hope that I don't make a sad drama romantic story in my head from the ambience and cry like a little bitch.

Portishead. I remember liking their song sour times. Their other stuff, I haven't given much time! I'm gonna do that! After Honky Dory!

Also Willie. Introducing your teenager to ICP is literally the procedure to commit an abortion past the legal trimester. ( :*DE

Thanks guys! Now I have something to actually do!

Tadao Nov 19th, 2010 12:01 AM

Pentegarn Nov 19th, 2010 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shyandquietguy (Post 704593)
I have beaten off

Keep that to yourself :lol

I agree with Willie and Milpool, what people listen to by itself is not the issue. It is the people who change their outward appearance to reflect their musical tastes are annoying as hell. Not just because of their attitudes (which are bad enough) but because each and every one of them believes their 'style' is unique, and remain deliberately blind to the fact that there are so many other 'unique' individuals who have the exact same 'style'.

Also fanboys do indeed suck

Shadowdancer21b Nov 19th, 2010 12:33 PM

"The the", "!!!", "Scroobius Pip", "Of Montreal", "Mixed Speakers Inc" There's a good primer list.

Esuohlim Nov 19th, 2010 12:49 PM

DREAM THEATER

MLE Nov 19th, 2010 07:17 PM

God yes dreamtheater is good for this.

executioneer Nov 19th, 2010 10:01 PM

yngwie malmsteen