I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Halloween Goodies 2012 (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69708774)

dextire Sep 4th, 2012 09:40 PM

Halloween Goodies 2012

It's time once again for sharing all the recent Halloween related purchases you guys have made this year!
From Dollar Store purchases to props, costumes, and strange candy. If it's Halloween, I wanna see them! :halloween2

Here's a few of my own.

First up is a new candy I saw at the Michaels store.

Skybar's Zombie Food!

It's a chocolate bar shaped in random organs that zombies crave and filled with bloody caramel.

This particular one contained a brain. As you can see it's a pretty detailed, though quite stretched out cranium.

The caramel filling is quite a deep shade of red, and it's extremely sweet. I couldn't even finish the whole thing as it started to hurt my teeth. :halloween

Skeleton Mariachi!

Also found this one at Michaels. It reminded me of my avatar so I had to pick it up.
Play on naked skeletal musician!

Halloween!

Yeah, I've no idea what to call this one. It simply says "Halloween" on the box.
Maybe it's declaring itself as the physical embodiment of the entire holiday itself? A tall order indeed.

Well we can tell that it's a skeleton of some sort. And it's got a black robe with gold bones on it.
Let's take a look at the rest of the box for any more clues.

Let's see... We've got a flying bat in a spider-web, a witch on her broomstick, a blue skull, and a very jolly jack-o-lantern. No help there.
I guess we'll just have to open it up!

Holy crap! It's a skeleton on a rocking chair!
A skeleton... on a rocking chair! Of all the things to claim to represent Halloween, I never would have guessed a skeleton on a rocking chair.

Let's take a closer look.

Yep. That's a rocking chair, with a golden bones robe covered skeleton in it.

Expertly concealed wires there. Wait, does that mean this thing lights up or possible even moves?!
Well, let's take one last look at it and then see if this thing actually works.

"No! I will not hide in the fruit cellar! Ha! You think I'm fruity, huh?"

So it turns out the thing does work, and violently thrashes about on the chair with red-eyes flashing and laughing like a madman when turned on.
It even threw itself out of the chair the first time I turned it on and had to be reglued back into place!

So ready to see it in action? :halloween2

So there you go.
I'll be sure to post about more Halloween items as I get them and hope some of you will do the same! :halloween2 :halloween

Ex Leper Sep 4th, 2012 11:29 PM

I got a Barnes & Nobel exclusive hardcover release of Frankenstein. http://jessicahische.is/wp-content/u...nkenstein1.jpg

Kitsa Sep 5th, 2012 08:11 AM

I have to admit I read that as "Halloween Geodes" and had this brief but charming mental picture of a boulder with a black exterior and badass orange crystals inside, so get on that pls because I want one now

Aaarg Sep 5th, 2012 10:14 AM

^ better make it 2

darkvare Sep 5th, 2012 01:00 PM

my house is between the two only cemeteries of the town so every year near dia de muertos of course they set up a two street large market selling all sort of dia de muertos stuff they also have some really cool skull coffee mugs with your name in it

Tadao Sep 5th, 2012 01:48 PM

Spoilers!

Kitsa Sep 5th, 2012 07:06 PM

love the baby ruth

@darkvare- that sounds pretty incredible. I wish I had graveyards for neighbors.

dextire Sep 6th, 2012 12:15 AM

Ex Leper: That's a cool cover, and I like the new avatar.

Kitsa: It exists! :halloween2

Tadao: Those are awesome! Using Baby Ruth bars is a great idea.

Ex Leper Sep 6th, 2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dextire (Post 761487)
Ex Leper: I like the new avatar.

Mockery Sep 7th, 2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dextire (Post 761441)
Holy crap! It's a skeleton on a rocking chair!
A skeleton... on a rocking chair! Of all the things to claim to represent Halloween, I never would have guessed a skeleton on a rocking chair.

I saw that a few years back, but it was a whopping $30 so I didn't buy it. It appeared to be made by the same people who created Secret Ghostdom, especially since it has the fabric with shiny golden designs on it.

I gotta track down one of those so I can review it. Awesome stuff btw, thanks for sharing thew news about 'em, and I'll keep an eye out for those Zombie Food bloody chocolates! :halloween2 :halloween

dextire Sep 8th, 2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockery (Post 761552)
I saw that a few years back, but it was a whopping $30 so I didn't buy it. It appeared to be made by the same people who created Secret Ghostdom, especially since it has the fabric with shiny golden designs on it.

That's as good a guess as I can make. No barcode or anything to indicate who even made it.

Anyhow, I went to my local Walgreens today to see if any of their Halloween stuff was out yet.
While they still have a long way to go, there were a few things out already. And I did pick up something.

S.L.U.G. Zombies!
(Scary Little Ugly Guys)

They're little zombie figures that come in a mystery box.
I grabbed four of them, and out of a random possible eight in the first series I received no duplicates.
Luck of the Great Pumpkin I guess. :halloween2

This one is "Rigamortis Lourdes" and you can see these things are very detailed.
And she's just as proud as she can be there holding those two severed heads.

Here's "Jon B. Gone" who appears to be either very squished up, or has quite tiny legs.

"Brain-Eatin' Brandon" isn't following proper pizza delivery procedure.
That customer's brain is going to get cold.

And the last one is "The Corroding Kid" who like Ralph Macchio looks way to old to be called "kid".

So there you go. Now go out and collect some of your own.
Sure you might have to buy 50 of them just to get all 8 in the series, but such is the life of a Halloween collector. :halloween

Zomboid Sep 11th, 2012 06:40 PM

Check it out, y'all! http://dinosaurdracula.com/blog/sky-bars-zombie-food/

dextire Sep 11th, 2012 09:54 PM

I had no idea Zombie Food came in giant bags like that.
And they look awesome crushed up and bleeding as well. Nice find, Zomboid! :halloween2

Ex Leper Sep 15th, 2012 10:29 PM

Kitsa Sep 15th, 2012 10:53 PM

I got a Cadbury Screme egg, which has a green yolk, and "werewolf fur", which is like green cotton candy that crackles like pop rocks. I'll take pics if I can tomorrow.

dextire Sep 16th, 2012 05:13 PM

Those are some fine choices there, Ex Leper.

Please do take pics Kitsa. I've never heard of any cotton candy that crackles, and the "Screme" egg sounds awesome.

Mockery Sep 17th, 2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsa (Post 761812)
I got a Cadbury Screme egg, which has a green yolk, and "werewolf fur", which is like green cotton candy that crackles like pop rocks. I'll take pics if I can tomorrow.

I have the Screme eggs (along with some other Halloween eggs) ready for the annual candy review next month. Where did you find the Werewolf Fur btw? I saw it on Amazon a week ago when I was looking up Halloween stuff, but have yet to see it in stores.

Kitsa Sep 17th, 2012 07:46 AM

Foy's.

Kitsa Sep 17th, 2012 03:47 PM

Sorry I'm a little late in posting, but I've been sick and couldn't be arsed. Anyway. Yeah. Werewolf Fur.

I'd never seen this before, so when I ran across it in Foy's weird little candy section (sort of a hodgepodge pile of things near the register in a couple of aisles, in the front-ish area of the store), I thought I'd better grab it. $2.50 seems sort of steep for a little envelope of cotton candy, but this is supposed to be some sort of magical cotton candy. See, the werewolf is burping crystalline effervescent microbes:

Are you going to say no to a Beetlejuice-haired gassy white wolfman who emerges from a flaming forest spewing forth blue and purple starbursts of unknwn significance? No, I'm not either.

The back of this is blurry, but the part I want you to see (and the part I missed in the dim, spooky light of Foy's), is that this is well expired. Why I would think that a place that sold me a Balzac, complete with an eighth of an inch of dust on the package, would turn up its metaphorical nose at expired candy? More importantly, am I willing to eat expired Chinese werewolf fur? Let me take a moment to think.

Bet your ass.

So I rip the little foil pack open and it's...well, kind of disappointing, actually. What I thought was going to be cotton candy that sizzled on the tongue turned out to have two distinct parts- green cotton candy, and green pop rocks. I'd been hoping that somehow they had spun pop rocks into cotton candy, using some sort of Chinese Willy Wonka magic that retained the carbonation, but no. Or, at any rate, it's since regressed back to its natural state.

Post-expiration life has not been kind, as evidenced by the cotton candy sticking together in nasty little clods. More disconcerting, I know for a fact that the package was sealed until I broke the seal, it's not particularly humid today, but still the pop rocks started sizzling the second I opened the package. I know my way around pop rocks (have you ever had one detonate in an undiscovered crack in a tooth? I have!) and I know that normal pop rocks don't really do that. :confused Nor do they normally keep sizzling in sink water for 10 minutes after you flick them off your hands. So I'm a bit wary of that bit of confectionery sorcery.

They pop in your mouth quite viciously, whereas the cotton candy part (the part ADVERTISED as crackling) pops not at all. The "green apple" flavor was a little weak, which was fine by me because I hate green apple. So the question is...does this candy live up to the hype of "crackling werewolf fur"? Not so much. It does put forth a good effort at portraying decomposition and unease, though. I just checked my sink again and it's still crackling in there.

dextire Sep 17th, 2012 10:20 PM

That's quite a strange find Kitsa! :lol
The package looks like some kind of mutant troll doll. It's a bummer the cotton candy doesn't pop, but the pop rocks stuff lasting as long as most hard candy makes up for it.

I'll have to see if I can track some of it down somewhere that isn't the magical land of Foy's. And it turns out there's another version called Vampire Hair!

Kitsa Sep 18th, 2012 04:51 AM

hm. Foys didn't have the vampire hair. The vampire looks like he's burping more microbes and it terrifies him.

Mockery Sep 19th, 2012 11:38 AM

Expired or not, I wanna try both varieties because cotton candy and pop rocks are great on their own, so I must know what their monstrous, unholy union tastes like.

dextire Sep 19th, 2012 07:11 PM

Heh, I thought the vampire hair one looked familiar.
Spoilers!

Kitsa Sep 19th, 2012 07:53 PM

Wow. Now I wanna see which werewolf movie mine was ripped off of.

darkvare Sep 19th, 2012 10:14 PM

lol i just realized this thing is made by bandai

MarioRPG Sep 22nd, 2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkvare (Post 761953)
lol i just realized this thing is made by bandai

Ahahaha what the hell! That makes it just that much better.:halloween2

dextire Sep 22nd, 2012 11:09 PM

Yep. They even list it on the website: http://www.bandai.com/candy/vampirehair/
Very odd indeed.

Ex Leper Sep 28th, 2012 09:16 PM

new to my growing horror and toy collection I just started

dextire Sep 28th, 2012 10:15 PM

Nice collection, Ex Leper. I like Torch the best. :halloween2
Care to give us run down of everyone?

All Hail Duke Sep 28th, 2012 10:44 PM

nice collection
gotta ask if those are loose, since i see missing accessories

Ex Leper Sep 28th, 2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Hail Duke (Post 762370)
nice collection
gotta ask if those are loose, since i see missing accessories

They are loose I traded with someone on facebook for 40 bucks and some magnets I make out of old magazines and stuff.

Movie Maniacs Series 1: Leatherface
Movie Maniacs Series 2: The Crow
Movie Maniacs Series 2: Ghostface
Movie Maniacs Series 2: Norman Bates
Movie Maniacs Series 3: The Thing: Blair Monster
Movie Maniacs Series 3: The Fly
Movie Maniacs Series 3: John Shaft
Movie Maniacs Series 4: Candyman
Puppet Master: Pinhead
Puppet Master: Torch

If anyone has stickers, magazine clippings or anything else they would like to convert into a fridge magnet let me know. I'd love to trade for retro stuff and horror crap.

EPIC UPDATE!: My toy dealer just added the following to my pile
12" crypt keeper doll that says some stuff when you push his button he is in a tux! Also some real ghostbusters universal monsters,dracula,Frankenstein,the hunchback of Notre dame! Also a old remco universal 33/4 Frankenstein 1979! And a 18" Eddie from iron maiden's number of the beast album cover!

dextire Oct 8th, 2012 10:48 PM

I recently got a few more things to share.
PaperKraft Coasters!

I never knew proper Halloween coasters even existed until recently.
There was a huge variety at one of the Halloween stores I went to, and the ghosts coming out of the haunted house was too good to pass up.

Zapp's Voodoo Potato Chips!

Yes, these are indeed Voodoo flavored potato chips! :halloween
The package design is fantastic, and the only way these could get better is if the chips were shaped like the dolls on the bag.

As there's no description of what Voodoo tastes like anywhere on the bag, I can only go by my taste buds as to the flavor.
And that's barbeque with a little vinegar and a few other spices. Not too bad.

Halloween Monster Slime Candy Gel!

Here we have a triple pack of brightly colored zombie candy gel.
It's got Green Apple, Strawberry, and Blue Raspberry coming out of each of the highly detailed zombie heads.
I love how each zombie has a different expression on it's face.

All three flavors are quite tasty. With the Blue Raspberry being the best of the bunch, but since they're all together there's no need to pick just one.
Also the candy gel is extremely stretchy, as evidenced by this blurry photo:

You could almost make candy spider webs out the stuff. :halloween2

Mockery Oct 9th, 2012 03:12 AM

Aww... I was really hoping those chips were shaped like voodoo dolls.

That slime candy gel triple pack looks pretty great though. Where'd you find the stuff?

Zomboid Oct 9th, 2012 03:43 AM

I had that talking Cryptkeeper doll as a kid. Really wish I still had it.

Oh, and I had that Candyman one, but my chihuahua fucking hated it and chewed it all to hell.

dextire Oct 9th, 2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockery (Post 762634)
Aww... I was really hoping those chips were shaped like voodoo dolls.

That slime candy gel triple pack looks pretty great though. Where'd you find the stuff?

I found the monster slime at one of my local Walgreens' stores. I'm not sure what it's actually called, as the package doesn't say aside from the seemingly random assortment of "Halloween", "Monster Slime", and "Candy Gel" on the front. :halloween

Mockery Oct 10th, 2012 01:03 AM

Ah good to know. That's the one place I haven't visited yet this season in my candy search. Good find!

Kitsa Oct 10th, 2012 03:55 PM

Jungle Jim's finds.

I guess the werewolf/vampire combo is popular this year. These are pretty standard gummies, just made into werewolf-paw and vampire shapes.

I will give them that they did a decently sharp rendition of a vampire.

The werewolves were literally a mixed bag- a few blobs that could have been werewolf faces, but mainly orange paws.

These were my personal favorite:

They were "strawberry gummy". I haven't tried one yet but you have to admire the effect. I'm not sure if they are putting albino eyes on Garfield cartoon-mice or implying the force of the snap shot the eyeballs out. Except I guess the trap hasn't been sprung yet, so it must be the demon albino thing.

And the fact that they come from the "Foreign Candy Company" is not so reassuring...

dextire Oct 10th, 2012 10:36 PM

Those are great! :halloween2 I think Black Forest makes the best gummies I've eaten. And not just one, but two Halloween varieties? Good stuff.

The rat ones look like they're daring you to grab one of the demon rat things, then the trap springs. As it's clearly not effective at trapping just the rat.

darkvare Oct 10th, 2012 11:25 PM

i bought a case of halloween candy but i ate it all before taking pictures

Kitsa Oct 11th, 2012 08:47 AM

My phone has been taking steadily shittier pictures ever since I got it. It was doing fantastic at first, then everything started blurring on the right side and the macro started sucking :( Hence all the blurry pics. Sorry.

Sacks Oct 11th, 2012 01:09 PM

They sell those voodoo chips year round around here. My favorite part about them is the story on the back of the bag explaining how some clumsy doofus knocked a bunch of seasoning over and decided to put the mixture on some chips.

dextire Oct 11th, 2012 05:54 PM

Wow, really? I've just got the small bag, and it doesn't have any description for the what the flavor is. That's pretty cool that there's a story behind it.

Ex Leper Oct 18th, 2012 12:49 PM

Not shown, a huge box of horror movie crap, A Saw Billy Mask and the Michael Jackson mask Rog wrote about a while back

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...ps17e44d63.jpg

dextire Oct 28th, 2012 05:19 PM

I managed to pick up a couple more Halloween things while out shopping this weekend.

Russell Stover Candy Corn Chews

I haven't seen candy corn taffy in a few years, so this was a pleasant surprise.
And I'm happy to say that they taste the same as ever, just like chewy candy corn.

I.C.U. Cyclops Monster Jawbreaker

This smartly dressed, dripping eyeball cyclops is a jawbreaker with bubblegum in the middle. Awesome! :halloween2

My Pet Ghost

I found this thing at Hallmark of all places. It does a trick with a mirror and a piece of glass to project a glowing, transparent ghost in the middle of the jar.

The ghost jar looks pretty nice and detailed on both the front and the back.
And it gives you a full description of your chosen ghost (Maxwell McSpooky in my case) and it also includes some goofy Halloween puns such as "Handle with Scare" and "Store at Gloom Temperature".

When you press on the top on the jar, a blue glow and some general "mad scientist" sound effects start up, then the ghost shows up and says one of a few phrases like "Now, where did I put my spectral analyzer?".

I was glad to find a few more Halloween things as most of the stores have already switched over to Christmas. :halloween

Mockery Oct 28th, 2012 06:12 PM

Nice finds! I've never seen those particular candy corn chews before and I love that cyclops jawbreaker! Where did you find 'em?

dextire Oct 28th, 2012 07:49 PM

I got the taffy from a local grocery store called Publix, and the cyclops jawbreaker from a gas station called Hess Express.
You can at least find the cyclops and it's kin online though. And the taffy is available on the Russell Stover site.

Kitsa Oct 28th, 2012 09:00 PM

My kid won the costume contest at King's Island and got a big backpack full of stuff from their gift shops, while we got the unending hate of other parents.

dextire Oct 28th, 2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsa (Post 763414)
...while we got the unending hate of other parents.

And that's the greatest gift of all! :halloween2
What was the costume of?

Kitsa Oct 28th, 2012 09:33 PM

Chicken suit with red felt dots and a treat bucket that looked like a giant bottle of calamine lotion. Chicken pox.

dextire Oct 28th, 2012 09:48 PM

:lol That's awesome! Enjoy being the superior costume parent.

Kitsa Oct 28th, 2012 09:53 PM

There was a woman in front of us whose kid was one of about 30 Meridas, and she was mercilessly and LOUDLY ripping on all the other costumes because her kid had the OFFICIAL Disney wig and bow, etc etc. obnoxious.

dextire Oct 28th, 2012 10:03 PM

Well, I guess she had to do something to make her kid stand out. Because making an clever and original costume was obliviously not something that she was capable of. :halloween2

Kitsa Oct 28th, 2012 10:11 PM

Lots of Meridas. Tons....liiterally, 50 or 60- Monster High costumes. It took forfreakingever to get all the kids paraded across the stage, and then they sent everyone into the audience and Snoopy's handler came back out and picked the winning kids.

I was just thrilled that we didn't have to spend $50 on souvenirs. The lady in line ahead of me at the pizza restaurant paid $75 for a medium pizza and five sodas.

darkvare Oct 28th, 2012 10:27 PM

the market outside the cemetries has set up so might go buy some sugar skulls and other candies

dextire Oct 28th, 2012 11:25 PM

That's awesome, Darkvare. It'd be great to see some pictures of both the candies and the cemetery markets as well.

Mockery Oct 29th, 2012 01:31 PM

Agreed. If you can, take some photos of the market itself, Darkvare. Would love to see 'em!

darkvare Oct 29th, 2012 05:16 PM

first i like to apologize cause i get a block when i go to markets and take very few picture but i hope you like them
here's how it looks when you walk in

there's lots of flower shops be it natural or plastic

i bought only form this little shop

i bought this skull mug

and a decorated chocolate skull

i'll go take more pictures at night cause this market really lights up in the night also i saw death head but i got shy and didn't took a picture

Kitsa Oct 29th, 2012 07:10 PM

Death Head?

I've never seen a chocolate one.

I also feel sorta vindicated because every sign says Dia de Muertos and every Spanish teacher in the states says Dia de LOS Muertos and that never flowed right in my head, so I'm glad to see that they were wrong kinda

darkvare Oct 29th, 2012 07:17 PM

by death head i mean this figure
http://www.i-mockery.com/halloween/b...ead-terror.php

Kitsa Oct 29th, 2012 07:24 PM

Oh, cool.

Excellent mug also btw.

dextire Oct 31st, 2012 05:49 PM

Thanks for the pics, Darkvare! Very cool stuff.

Bring on the Trick-or-Treaters! :halloween2

Happy Halloween, everyone! :halloween2 :halloween :halloween2

Kitsa Nov 13th, 2012 07:20 PM

I went to a store called Five Below today (everything $5 and under), and they had the entire line of Bandai halloween crap on clearance. I got a whole mess of it for $1...vampire hair, werewolf fur and some sort of candy that's eyeballs impaled on forks. I'll take pics tomorrow.

dextire Nov 13th, 2012 10:35 PM

Congrats on finding the mother lode of bizarre Bandai candy! I look forward to seeing the pics. :halloween2

Kitsa Nov 15th, 2012 04:21 PM

So yeah, this stuff was all on a cart at Five Below for 25c a pop so I got a mess of it.

Here's the Vampire Hair that Foy's didn't have. The package said this is "Wild Berry" flavor.

The texture was a little freakier than I remembered with the Werewolf Fur. Less "cotton candy" and way more "fibreglass insulation". It was so fine-spun that when you went for a pinch of it, your fingers got the sensation of pinching through cornstarch or talcum powder that gave a little crunch and then no resistance at all. Regardless, since I hate Green Apple in all its forms, Vampire Hair's Wild Berry was a definite improvement on the counterpart. Sort of half Blue Raspberry and half Assorted Fruit Tums.

The pop rocks were not quite as potent, which was a disappointment.

Then we've got these fork-eyeball things called "Forkz", also made by bandai:

They come in various colors, but the gist of it is that there's a roughly eyeball-like lollipop impaled on a black plastic fork. I was unimpressed, but Mr. Kitsa called them "unnerving". The flavor was your standard generic corn syrup lollipop flavor, with a hint of whatever flavor the iris was supposed to be (this one was Green Apple, of course).

So that's the Bandai collection as I know it.

Kitsa Nov 15th, 2012 04:27 PM

And an aftertaste of...soap? Why am I tasting soap? :/

dextire Nov 15th, 2012 06:32 PM

The Vampire Hair looks awesome and for some reason I really like the idea of edible fiberglass. :lol
Bandai just seemed to pick the strangest, cheapest candies.

Kitsa Nov 15th, 2012 06:59 PM

Looks like this is next.