I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   A Visit To Super Bear Arcade At Big Bear Lake (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69700171)

MockBot Jul 15th, 2008 03:21 AM

A Visit To Super Bear Arcade At Big Bear Lake

Automatically generated comment thread for A Visit To Super Bear Arcade At Big Bear Lake.

TipoDeemin Jul 15th, 2008 04:21 AM

Skeeball = win. I went home with many a flimsy Chinese finger trap and plastic spider ring as a result of my mad Skeeball skills.

Also... I must have that Dracula.

executioneer Jul 15th, 2008 04:24 AM

they've got that "not sure if there's enough neon here" game and the "skiing tokens" game at my local laser tag/arcade place, but unfortunately the oldest arcade game they've got is Gunblade NY (1996), which also gets points by being the only game they have that only needs 1 token to play. I hope someone knifed the people who made graffiti on GORF >:

porkboy Jul 15th, 2008 04:47 AM

It seems that the only arcade machines near me are either in the local movie theater or Mr Gatti's. The last time I saw an arcade in a mall, I didn't really have time to peruse, but it seemed to only cater to otaku and their insatiable bloodlust to destroy other pasty whities in DDR and derivative games. Otherwise there are hardly any cabinet games that aren't driving, guns or non-car vehicle games. And joint cabinets of Mrs. Pacman and Galaga cost 50 cents (at my college).

What's funny is that the Mr. Gatti's closed shop on one side of the street and opened on the other side with a bigger overall store, bigger game room, but most of the same damn games it had nearly 15 years ago when I first went to the particular Gatti's location, but hardly any new or additional games except a DDR knock-off with some sort of USB thumb drive capability. Not sure what the game was called and I'm probably not going to Gatti's anytime soon.

EchoCharlie Jul 15th, 2008 09:46 AM

That place looked ace. I'd be there all day if I went. I used to play the pinnies (pinball) Top Speed, Adams Family (good call, great set up)and my favourite - Dr Who. Hands down the best pinball game ever made. EVER!

Creepy-critters Jul 15th, 2008 10:35 AM

There's actually a spiffy arcade in a mall near me called "Sparkles". It's tucked away behind a store, but I swear that the neon lighting in that place would cause an epileptics head to explode

Icculus Jul 15th, 2008 10:58 AM

Wow what a glorious place. I can't read the one pin but im pretty sure it says "women want me, Fish fear me". some good stuff. I think I'm going to devote the rest of my summer to finding a place like that on the east coast.

I'm sure a little internet research at work and then use my vacation time, I can actually make it my job for like 5 weeks. I need to play tron, I'm also going to replace all of the handlebar grips on Paperboy.

Poxpower Jul 15th, 2008 11:16 AM

Those games are all played with your hands. THEY'RE FOR BABIES.

Pentegarn Jul 15th, 2008 11:29 AM

I don't normally gush about an article, but this was a freaking awsome article. Not only does that arcade have both great Tron games, it has Berzerk! All it needs is Wizard of Wor, Wrestlefest, and Crime Fighters and it would be my dream arcade.

That said, this article also made me feel a little sad, because I remember a time when arcades with the beautiful selection that this one has were all over the place, and now they are not. Even the chain arcades that were part of a package of things, like Chuck-E-Cheese or Putt Putt were awsome then. The "arcades" these days, (Dave and Busters, Gameworks, and the others of similar vein) just do not compare.

Angryhydralisk Jul 15th, 2008 11:56 AM

I think I'm going to cry. That place to me would be like heaven.

But on a lamer note, I have played Target: Terror. Imagine Area 51 minus the aliens...and more terrorists. Plus it takes like, five minutes to load a stage.

TheDoomThing Jul 15th, 2008 12:21 PM

By the way, the "cyclops werewolf" was a LION LIGER cyclops werewolf!

BakaGaijin Jul 15th, 2008 01:16 PM

I found a place like this in Clearwater Florida called "The Arcade Museum" or something like that. There, you paid a flat per-hour fee and could play unlimited all day long. Of course, the ticket machines cost extra.

Fathom Zero Jul 15th, 2008 02:27 PM

They have a sit down version of road blasters here at the Lawton Airport, and, I kid you not, it is the only arcade item at the Lawton Airport.

Mr T L Wolf Jul 15th, 2008 02:50 PM

That arcade is amazing. I haven't had that much fun in an arcade since I figured out exactly when to let a quarter go and win the jackpot in the Sonic the Hedgehog ticket game.

CaTlaloc Jul 15th, 2008 04:09 PM

RoG, Please take me to the top of Bear moutain to reach the Nirvana that is Super Bear Arcade. "Drag five of my friends"? Hell, I'll go for free and help pay for the gas. Serously...I live in Riverside, CA and could really use some of that good ol' time feeling that comes from playing a full cabinet of X-Men (I call dibs on Nightcrawler). Really nice place. On a other note, any place can be registered as a potential historical landmark in the US if it is older than 50 yrs and is of historical value. THis place appears to be both. So if you have the energy (and I don't). You can register the place with the National Historic Landmarks program.

Kitsunexus Jul 15th, 2008 06:44 PM

Inside the Vatican looked rather thin for a VHS box.

Et tu Jul 15th, 2008 07:04 PM

"including one of my all-time favorites
The Addams Family pinball machine"

That is also one of my favourites, together with "twilight zone", "pinbot", "Circus Voltaire" and "Elvira and the party monsters" 8)

Good article btw.

Lostmayhem Jul 15th, 2008 08:16 PM

The guy who stocks our snack machine at work started stocking it with Pizzaria's pizza chips, I love them in, fact I'm eating them right now. The bag alone gives you a nice pizzeria feeling.

ThisGuyIKnow Jul 15th, 2008 09:24 PM

I've went to Big Bear with my parents for the 4th of July every year since I was about 10. I still try to make it every 4th now that my parents have moved there permanently. About ten years ago, there used to be another arcade just around the corner from Super Bear. It was poorly lit, with wooden floors (bare plywood, no fancy hardwood), and the attendant sat in a cage giving you quarters for your cash (and making no attempt to hide his contempt for the customers). They had one or two pool tables, but no skee-ball. When I was younger, that one felt more 'grown-up' than the brightly lit Sugar Bear, so I usually spent more money there, but always tried to visit both.

I didn't make it to the Super Bear on my trip this year, but maybe when I visit for Thanksgiving I should check it out again.

ThisGuyIKnow Jul 15th, 2008 09:31 PM

"I've went"??? Yeah, my English are good.

BigMac500 Jul 15th, 2008 10:45 PM

You know, I have yet to come across an arcade that DOESN'T have those stupid games where you shoot quarters, or drop them or other such nonsense.

Oh, and Creepy-critters:
That's my mall. Yep, I live damn well near right beside the place. Another thing you've got to know about Sparkles is that it has this fabled Addams Family pinball game inside! ROCK ON NOVA SCOTIA!

Rebel Without a Sauce Jul 15th, 2008 11:24 PM

Not all bears are as friendly as the one in the title art. :(

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/07/...3741215967487/

When will humanity learn that it's wrong to imprison wild animals... inside a country as crappy as Ukraine? WHEN!?

DarkfireTaimatsu Jul 16th, 2008 01:20 AM

What, is Super Bear, like, the lost member of the Legion of Super Pets that somehow didn't get folded up in the first Crisis? =3

Copper Jul 16th, 2008 01:35 AM

Heck, dibs on Dazzler for the X-Men game. I was bouncing up and down excited the first time I actually made it all the way through the game and got my name to the top score. I insisted my father check and see if I was still there when he went up to the mall next, but I think they powered down the machines at night, which, of course, put all the scores to default. I know I did it, though, and that made my day *laughs*

Viteh Jul 16th, 2008 03:42 AM

The only games missing were Punch Out and Superman. But maybe they were left out on purpose, because if they put them in, the level of awesomeness in the place would be so huge that it would explode and leave a huge crater on Earth visible by the naked eye from outer space