I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I-Mockery Chat (Lube up those lips) (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8799)

Sethomas Apr 11th, 2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac Newton
If I have seen further it is by standing on ye* shoulders of Giants

Hey, I didn't know that Leibniz was really all that tall! BUUURRRRRRRRRRN!

*If this is "ye" for the reason that comes to mind, related to the "Ye Olde Taverne" cliché, then someone in the wikiquote world is tragically stupid for having access to the original typeface of this quote yet not understanding how to read it.

Asila Apr 11th, 2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

"My favourite piece of information is that Branwell Brontë, brother of Emily and Charlotte, died standing up leaning against a mantelpiece, in order to prove it could be done. This is not quite true, in fact. My absolute favourite piece of information is the fact that young sloths are so inept that they frequently grab their own arms and legs instead of tree limbs, and fall out of trees. "

By Douglas Adams. It doesn't fit so well into the current conversation but it's my favourite quote and I can't imagine it coming up in a better situation.

Pandajuice Apr 11th, 2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethomas (Post 548158)
So, yeah, saying that you ignore Voltaire because you have your own views, which I'm sure have all the uniqueness and profundity to shatter the earth, is pretty fucking stupid.

It's a good thing I'm not trying to shatter the Earth with my philisophical views then I guess. I just find it more interesting to have a discussion with someone who isn't constantly saying "Voltaire said in 1789...", and can show me their intelligence (and expand mine) by coming up with original thoughts.

On the other hand, how much does knowing and quoting Voltaire pay these days?

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 03:33 PM

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 03:34 PM

Asila Apr 11th, 2008 03:34 PM

:love

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 03:35 PM

MY PERSONAL AND ORIGINAL BELIEFS ARE THAT STARGATE SG-1 IS BY FAR SUPERIOR TO THE OLD BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, THOUGH NOT NECESSARILY THE NEW SHOW. VOLTAIRE, KISS MY FLABBY, WIDE, AMERICAN ASS

Pandajuice Apr 11th, 2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 548159)
Please, PJ, elaborate on these discussions

Which discussion? All I see are 3 different people talking to themselves about 3 different topics and my having to defend myself when I attempted to add my input.

So please, let me know what topic you wish me to elaborate on and I shall.

Sethomas Apr 11th, 2008 03:37 PM

Honestly, I was going to respond with the estimates of some friends' present salaries that they earned with university and grad school experience that both required and enhanced such grasps on such things. But, for unrelated reasons it hurts my head so trust me when I say "a lot, if you're actually good at it."

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandajuice (Post 548171)
All I see are 3 different people talking to themselves about 3 different topics and my having to defend myself when I attempted to add my input.

For being such a genius, Peggy Hill, you sure seem to have a hard time dealing with the nature of the internet.

RaNkeri Apr 11th, 2008 03:49 PM

Asila Apr 11th, 2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

For being such a genius, Peggy Hill, you sure seem to have a hard time dealing with the nature of the internet.
I just said that in my head using John McGinley's voice and I'm embarrassed to admit that I lol'd

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 548170)
MY PERSONAL AND ORIGINAL BELIEFS ARE THAT STARGATE SG-1 IS BY FAR SUPERIOR TO THE OLD BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, THOUGH NOT NECESSARILY THE NEW SHOW.

Which seasons? Final season 70's BSG (super powered children traveling through time & all) isn't as bad as current SG-1.

Also, rewatching Buck Rogers recently I wondered why that hadn't been remade, oh wait! Farscape.

Sethomas Apr 11th, 2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethomas (Post 548164)
*If this is "ye" for the reason that comes to mind, related to the "Ye Olde Taverne" cliché, then someone in the wikiquote world is tragically stupid for having access to the original typeface of this quote yet not understanding how to read it.

Guys, that was an invitation to ask me for a riveting discussion about how þ, Ð/ð, the Greek letter Upsilon, our Y, both phonemes made with "th" in modern English, other archaic letters I can't find on the character map, and the vowel shift of the high middle ages all came together in evolution of the English language to form one of the most perplexing semiotic clusterfucks in history.

IT'S TOO LATE NOW, DON'T EVEN TRY.

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asila (Post 548176)
I just said that in my head using John McGinley's voice and I'm embarrassed to admit that I lol'd

I daydream John C. McGinley & Hugh Laurie team-up fanfiction. :x

Sethomas Apr 11th, 2008 03:56 PM

What about John Goodman and Hugh Laurie? :eek

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethomas (Post 548178)
Guys, that was an invitation to ask me for a riveting discussion about how þ, Ð/ð, the Greek letter Upsilon, our Y, both phonemes made with "th" in modern English, other archaic letters I can't find on the character map, and the vowel shift of the high middle ages all came together in evolution of the English language to form one of the most perplexing semiotic clusterfucks in history.

Mush like the British poet discussion a page back, that was a topic I explored fully on this board five years ago & now have no interest in reevaluating.

Good try though.

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandajuice (Post 548171)
Which discussion? All I see are 3 different people talking to themselves about 3 different topics and my having to defend myself when I attempted to add my input.

So please, let me know what topic you wish me to elaborate on and I shall.

I can't even remember, I'm too baffled by your last bit of "input".

Hang on, let me try to begin to dissect the logic here. You make the point that I am dumber than you are, and I sarcastically counterpoint that you aren't exactly an intellectual, using an example of something that I am interested in, and that I know there is a zero percent chance of you knowing about, let alone being interested in.

This is a risk, because if you ARE interested in Voltaire's overall philosophy in Candide, you'll soon make me look like an idiot. However, your response, as predicted, is that you are not interested in the subject.

In fact, interest in Voltaire is a handicap. At first, it appears that you might be making the point that I am unoriginal for being willing to partake in a debate that has been going for centuries. Later, however, in a response to Seth, it becomes apparent that the mere mention of Voltaire is what you are irritated by, which could be due to the fact that you're talking out of your ass and are intimidated by a subject that you know fuck-all about, but that's just conjecture.

To justify your interesting position that you are smarter than people who are knowledgeable about Voltaire merely for the fact that you are not, you take up the stance that you come up with what we might call "original content", and we do not. Seth infers once again that you are an idiot and that your point is stupid, far more eloquently than I have at this point.

You return fire by claiming that it's "a good thing [you're] not trying to shatter the Earth with [your] philisophical views then [you] guess." You are justified in not caring about Voltaire because you are uninterested in having new and compelling ideas, therefore definitively proving that you are a genius.

You finish with the point that it's "more interesting to have a discussion with someone who isn't constantly saying "Voltaire said in 1789...", inferring that a single offhanded mention of Voltaire is pretentious and that you are more interested in having a conversation with someone who can prove their intelligence and expand yours by talking about "new" things which, since they do not talk about any previously explored ideas, have little to do with history, literature, or science. Instead, this person must come up with new and compelling ideas of their own, which you have already stated that you personally are uninterested in having, you leech.

Then you finish with the inference that knowing about Voltaire is a liability in the job market.

Seeing as how the conversation will have hurtled forward by this point, and unraveling your backwards, monkey brain so far has proven that it is not worth the effort, I'm just going to continue taunting you for being a retard from now on.

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethomas (Post 548180)
What about John Goodman and Hugh Laurie? :eek

With House MD treating the American King of England? :rock

Asila Apr 11th, 2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

I daydream John C. McGinley & Hugh Laurie team-up fanfiction. :x
HAWT. Crap, I don't know if I'm kidding anymore.

Grisly: Without getting too involved in the convo, I have to commend your patience.

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 04:02 PM

If I DIDN'T effectively prove that I can counterpoint, then I wouldn't be justified in belittling the twat

Sethomas Apr 11th, 2008 04:08 PM

Yeah, dealing with people like that is sometimes best summarized by the Simpsons vignette I mentioned. That's why I always keep balls on me that I can condescendingly inform them of their stupidity by placing them in their hands.

It's just really hard to do, psychologically speaking, when you're not entirely sure that they won't squeeze once they have your scrotum in their palms.

Asila Apr 11th, 2008 04:09 PM

Goal: accomplished.

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 548187)
If I DIDN'T effectively prove that I can counterpoint, then I wouldn't be justified in belittling the twat

I agree, but I really don't have the patience or remaining skill for such things.

OH FOR THE GOLDEN DAYS OF YOUTH, WHERE I ONLY USED THE SHIFT KEY TO BEGIN WORDS.

RaNkeri Apr 11th, 2008 04:17 PM

A bag of Sourcream & onion flavored chips
A bag of cheese puffs

I can't decide which one I should pick - It's your call