I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philosophy, Politics, and News (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The price of college...and occasionally eating (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11228)

punkgrrrlie10 May 5th, 2004 06:07 PM

The price of college...and occasionally eating

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/2534206

Quote:

NEW YORK -- A New York University sophomore who says he spent eight months sleeping in a library basement because he couldn't afford campus housing has been moved to a free dormitory room, school officials said.

Big Papa Goat May 6th, 2004 01:05 AM

That guy looks really weird.

mburbank May 6th, 2004 10:08 AM

There's going to need to be a revolution in this field. If pprices held where they are right now, I'd have no hope at all of sending my daughters to college.

Miss Modular May 6th, 2004 12:19 PM

That kid actually grew up a half an hour from where I live. I don't know him, but I'm not surprised that someone from my area would end up in a situation like that.

mesobe May 6th, 2004 12:40 PM

I paid 15 grand a year when i was doing my post seconday shit. never again

punkgrrrlie10 May 6th, 2004 03:14 PM

I paid 30.

El Blanco May 6th, 2004 04:42 PM

about $3500 a year after expenses. And its was a good school.

But, ya the schools are getting really expensive. But, that pays for the grants for the research labs and all that other good stuff.

El Blanco May 6th, 2004 04:47 PM

Quote:

says he washed in the library's bathroom and took occasional showers at friends' apartments and dorm rooms.
Ya, he fit right in down in the Village.

Miss Modular May 6th, 2004 07:12 PM

I thought Williamsburg was the one with dirty people.

AChimp May 6th, 2004 07:20 PM

Canadian university educations are subsidized. You should come here for school. It is cheaper. :D

My tuition has never been above $3500.

El Blanco May 6th, 2004 07:43 PM

And just how do Canadian universities compare to American?

mesobe May 6th, 2004 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Blanco

haha. well after watching Rick Mercer's "Talking to Americans" I would say any school compare very well to american "schools"

El Blanco May 6th, 2004 09:09 PM

And can you be anymore specific? Or is it just another of your bullshit?

thebiggameover May 6th, 2004 09:11 PM

:lol

punkgrrrlie10 May 6th, 2004 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AChimp
Canadian university educations are subsidized. You should come here for school. It is cheaper. :D

My tuition has never been above $3500.

but do they charge the non-resident fees which fuck people over. Tuition at ucla was around 3300/quarter but out of staters and international students paid like 10 or something a quarter.

VinceZeb May 6th, 2004 09:45 PM

AChimp having to explain a position instead of being a parrot. This I have to see

Big Papa Goat May 7th, 2004 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesobe
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Blanco

haha. well after watching Rick Mercer's "Talking to Americans" I would say any school compare very well to american "schools"

Your what I hate about Canadians mesobe >:

executioneer May 7th, 2004 03:46 AM

jesus christ like there are no retarded-ass ignorant canadians :rolleyes

AChimp May 7th, 2004 10:30 AM

Yeah, there's fees for being an international student, so the tuition would nearly double. Those fees are mostly charged by the various levels of government, though. Still, C$7000 is better than US$15K. There have been a few Americans in my business classes who came here for that reason alone. "High demand" faculties charge more, of course, or prevent international students from entering (ie. pharmacy).

What most international students do to get around those restrictions is to live here for a year and take a few easy courses and maybe work on campus. After the year, they can apply to be a Canadian resident and they apparently don't get charged as much.

The education levels are the same because it's the same big international associations that are accrediting the degree programs.

Bennett May 7th, 2004 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinceZeb
AChimp having to explain a position instead of being a parrot. This I have to see

did you catch that last post boortz-y, did you get that, mouthpiece?

mburbank May 7th, 2004 11:20 AM

See, Vinth? Explaining things isn't so hard. You should at least give it a try sometime. AND SELL ME YOUR DAMN EMPTY SITE unless you never meant it becuase you're a lieing bag of pussychicken.

theapportioner May 7th, 2004 01:37 PM

All expenses combined, I'll be looking at around ~50 grand/yr.

Big McLargehuge May 7th, 2004 01:43 PM

I go to the University of Arizona which is one of the cheapest public colleges in the nation, after paying for housing and food i pay about 20 grand a year. The real price is having to live in Tucson, Arizona.

da blob May 7th, 2004 04:56 PM

here universities are FREE

El Blanco May 7th, 2004 04:59 PM

No, they are taxed subsidized. That is not free. Also, the only really good schools in Europe are so exclusive, you can't within a mile of them.