I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Writing characters (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69702672)

VaporTrailx1 Jul 29th, 2009 03:18 PM

Writing characters

I was wondering, how different does a composite character have to be from it's original source inspirations to be considered legally a fictional character?

The Leader Jul 29th, 2009 03:25 PM

Depends on how good your lawyer is.

Tadao Jul 29th, 2009 03:26 PM

That's an interting question. ZQ might even have the answer for that.

ZeldaQueen Jul 29th, 2009 07:22 PM

I guess it would depend on the character, who/what it was based off of, and what traits it shared.

For example, if you're basing your character off of Hitler and have him (the character) engage in a massive genocide, there's a much more obvious connection. If the only shared traits between your character and Hitler is that they both liked spaghetti or something, the two characters are a lot more disconnected.

I'd also think that if you based your character off of a real person, the less well-known they are the more likely the public would assume that the character is fictional. For example, in a story I wrote, I based three characters off of a girl and her two sisters who I was friends with and based the setting off of the township's library. Most people who read the manuscript recognized that the library connection (because they were familiar with it) but didn't get the little jokes and connections to the sisters (because they didn't know the girls). If you use Angelina Jolie as a model for your character and have them share the same habits, looks, etc, people will catch on faster than if you base the character after your great-aunt Mildred.

Of course, people will find connections with anything you invent to pre-existing ideas. The whole "No original concepts" thing and all.

Out of curiousity, why do you ask?

VaporTrailx1 Jul 30th, 2009 02:25 AM

writing a movie

ZeldaQueen Jul 30th, 2009 11:30 AM

Oh excellent! Are you using one of those programs for formating?

And if you don't mind telling me, what's it about?

Fathom Zero Jul 30th, 2009 03:19 PM

You think of a man. Then you take away reason and accountability.

VaporTrailx1 Jul 30th, 2009 03:24 PM

I need a formating program. right now it's only dialogue though.

It's mostly about people that hang out at a bar. Think of Cheers gone wrong.

elx Jul 30th, 2009 03:56 PM

you're writing a movie? why? write a book.

Guitar Woman Jul 30th, 2009 05:26 PM

SOUNDS LIKE SHIT

WHY DON'T YOU THINK OF A GOOD STORY

ZeldaQueen Jul 30th, 2009 05:30 PM

I recommend Page 2 Stage. That's what I use. It's free, it's pretty easy to use, and it has most features you'd need (formats for dialogue, action descriptions, scene changes, etc).

executioneer Jul 30th, 2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 639579)

lol reference :eek

Dimnos Jul 30th, 2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 639579)

Its funny because its true.

Zomboid Aug 2nd, 2009 06:37 PM

Why do so many idiots from these forums think they can write movies and/or books? Most of you can barely write a coherent post, and you plan on writing a movie?

Evil Robot Aug 2nd, 2009 06:43 PM

Didn't somebody want to make a movie about I-mockery many years ago?

Evil Robot Aug 2nd, 2009 07:17 PM

I've got a movie idea fer ya, aliens come to earth for some reason and find that with all their technology, they find the concept of art and music to be foriegn to them and they like it. Earth teaches aliens how to rock and in return they don't kill us.

The Leader Aug 2nd, 2009 07:19 PM

They already did that in Robotech.

VaporTrailx1 Aug 2nd, 2009 07:58 PM

All I know is that I've seen enough stupid shit that someone must feel my pain. And the only way they can feel that pain is when they realize they wasted $7 and an hour and a half of their life on a movie about nothing.

ZeldaQueen Aug 2nd, 2009 11:30 PM

Considering most of the tripe coming out of the movie industry, I have no doubt that VaporTrailx1 could do better.

And considering some of the other books that have become best sellers, well...