I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69700789)

MockBot Oct 10th, 2008 01:36 AM

Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark

Automatically generated comment thread for Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark.

Mikey669 Oct 10th, 2008 01:46 AM

Dude!! I had the book, and it's sequel "More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark". One of my all time favorites as well. And the CREEPY illustrations by Stephen Gammel used to give me nightmares :)

Dixie Oct 10th, 2008 01:59 AM

This is great!

DaTr0LL Oct 10th, 2008 02:41 AM

Still have all 3 books and I read bits of them to my younger cousins every Halloween. The stories are almost universally loved by 'em.

Godzilla Oct 10th, 2008 03:34 AM

You've got it, Rog!

Heh, a great find here.

Mockery Oct 10th, 2008 03:36 AM

Yep, the books do indeed rule, but nothing beats the audio tape as far as I'm concerned. Irving just had the perfect voice for this kind o' project.

Doctor_Who Oct 10th, 2008 05:36 AM

I had the books too. The stories were great, but the illustrations were pure nightmare fuel. No movie has ever freaked me out as much as those pictures.

Lothalis Oct 10th, 2008 05:56 AM

Belive it or no I do have both the first book and it came with the tape, And RoG is absolutely right. The tape is quite amazing. The voice that George Irving uses for most of the stories is just perfect.

I still have the tape and a working "Tape Deck" and along with my Dumb and Dumber soundtack and "Sing time with the Smurfs" (My Daughter is my excuse for that one)It is the only reason the deck is is use.

RoG Please tell me Where you found the MP3's For these!

jo8136 Oct 10th, 2008 07:40 AM

yup I remember those the drawings were badass.

TheDoomThing Oct 10th, 2008 07:43 AM

I have read all three of these. The stories were quite scary. The illustrations where the nail in the coffin (Get it?) to make these scary as hell. The drawings in there were perfectly placed, and they looked nightmarish. (They gave me nightmares.)

BelmarBenny Oct 10th, 2008 08:44 AM

Scary Stories

The

BelmarBenny Oct 10th, 2008 08:46 AM

The books were amazing... the creepy illustrations alone make them the better choice over the audio... or better yet, try a combo of both.

For more scary story and sounds of halloween downloads check out www.scarstuff.blogspot.com

KrytenSyxx Oct 10th, 2008 10:02 AM

Alvin Schwartz may have done an excellent job of compiling scary folk tales and urban legends from all over the globe, but it was really Stephen Gammell artwork that drew me to these books when I was a child.

Green Yamo Oct 10th, 2008 10:30 AM

I never returned that book to my elementary school's library, and I'm pretty sure I stole the sequel from a bookstore when I was 10 or 11....the sequel was not so great, but the original is excellent.

lumpisan Oct 10th, 2008 01:03 PM

oh god yhis takes me back... i never heard this tape my ibrary had more scarysotries to tell in the dark on tape though.... used to give me nightmares as a kid. thanks rog, now i'll never get to sleep tonight

MrWarranty Oct 10th, 2008 01:09 PM

I'm fairly certain that every single one of us who were youngsters around that time are well-acquainted with the trio of Schwartz collections. Remember, that's not a dog, it's a rat...

King Credo Oct 10th, 2008 01:18 PM

I had the books when I was eight. I was easily scared back then so after I thumbed through it for a few minutes I threw it across the room and locked myself in my bedroom. Those pictures still scare the shit out of me.

King Credo Oct 10th, 2008 01:30 PM

I just listened to the stories. That's the voice I always had in my head when I read the book. Is anyone else disturbed by the Big Toe? The boy went in his parents' garden, found a human toe, ripped it off, brought it to his mother, and the family ate the bloody toe for dinner. And the whole time the monster is the guy without the toe? If I had body parts in my garden and I saw my kid bring it and think of food I'd go ahead and call myself a serial killer.

seesawbooy Oct 10th, 2008 03:03 PM

I have the complete series in audio forum if you want me to link the files

Maxwell Demon Oct 10th, 2008 03:07 PM

Thats so fuckin awesome man. i had to buy the newer boxed set of the books a few years ago when i wanted to read em cuz my sister has our old copies, she used to read em to me when i was a kid, but id never heard these recordings. youve truly outdone yourself on this one mr.RoG. this is best place for bihalloweenay!

Capt.Confederacy Oct 10th, 2008 04:42 PM

I remember when these books first came out and how they were ALWAYS gone from the school library (checked out, of course, by all the boys who loved the creepy pictures and stories).

I went out and bought all three and still have them.

MarioRPG Oct 10th, 2008 04:48 PM

I do indeed have this book, never came with the album though. Had no idea it did.

Aura Fox Oct 10th, 2008 05:34 PM

The illustrations in the books I think were scarier than the stories. My personal favorite is the wedding dress one.

Nick Oct 10th, 2008 06:34 PM

The illustration for the Black Dog story always creeped me out.

seesawbooy Oct 10th, 2008 08:44 PM

Hey ROG How did u make a playlist like that?