I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Halloween Candy...the best, the worst. (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69707768)

Kitsa Oct 14th, 2011 01:53 PM

Halloween Candy...the best, the worst.

I used to put together fun little baggies, or what I thought might be construed as fun little baggies, with halloween doodads and various types of candy. Then we got like 5 kids and I ended up dumping the remaining 30-some bags into the teenage neighbor kid's pillowcase. That's why this year I said "fuck it" and just got a variety pack of full-size candy bars.

The best halloween candy I ever got was one of those giant size fundraiser caramel bars, with the good buttery caramel that you don't see around anymore. That was the same house I said something about before, where the woman put out a whole box with a sign that said "TAKE ONE" and then watched for the kid who inevitably grabbed more and scared the shit out of him.

I've got a several-way tie for worst. One was the old man who threw pennies at us and told us to get our own fuckin' candy. I also lived between a cardiologist and a dentist...nothing says Halloween like cholesterol charts, toothbrushes and disclosing tablets :(

How about you?

Nick Oct 14th, 2011 02:49 PM

I always loved getting Sweet Tarts and little boxes of Nerds candy. That was so awesome. What I couldn't stand, though, was those little caramel candy things that were wrapped in the dull black and orange wrappers. I still can't bare to look at them. They always seemed like most inconsiderate candy to me.

Sacks Oct 14th, 2011 03:59 PM

I always felt disappointed if I didn't get any of those black and orange things.

k0k0 Oct 14th, 2011 05:26 PM

The black and orange things are terrible, but I really did get disappointed if I didn't get a few also.

As for best, snickers. Back when I lived in a really rich neighborhood, everyone gave out full size pieces of candy and it was nice.

Worst is pennies. I didn't mind the tooth candy too much because it was kinda cool to see all my plaque.

Kitsa Oct 14th, 2011 07:49 PM

I still wonder what people thought a couple of years back when I was handing out the full-size boxes of Frankenberry. Probably that I was nuts.

I think I mentioned it in an older version of a "halloween candy" thread, but I used to make wreaths of those orange and black things and sell them at the hospital where I worked. People actually paid like $45 for them, and they weighed almost 10 lbs. But I thought they were peanut butter, not caramel.

Mockery Oct 14th, 2011 09:59 PM

Necco Wafers are the worst. >:

The Nun Eater Oct 14th, 2011 11:08 PM

I always hated getting salt water taffy pieces in my bag. Only old people eat taffy, not kids.

As for the best, one year a lady was giving out chocolate oatmeal drop cookies. She put peanuts and peanut butter in them. They were so damn good that even till this day when I make some I try to copy what she did.

I also always liked getting apples even though they aren't candy.

Kitsa Oct 14th, 2011 11:41 PM

Did anyone else take their candy to be x-rayed? That was big in a Milwaukee suburb I lived in for a while. You'd go after trick or treating (which was always on a Saturday afternoon, NEVER real Halloween) and they'd have you dump your candy on the x-ray table.

I'm pretty sure it was one of the biggest wastes of medical resources around. No one ever had anything interesting, although there were always rumors about razorblades in apples and stuff. One girl on my bus knew someone who knew someone who knew someone who found a tube covered in white powder in a fun-size Snickers bar. Then again, it was the same girl who kicked her lawnmower when it wouldn't go uphill and lost three toes, so you know.

dextire Oct 15th, 2011 12:52 AM

The best candy I ever got was a full-size fun dip.
The worst "candy" was a caramel apple coated in something white.
Maybe it was flour, maybe every kid in the neighborhood stuck the stupid (and still sticky) apples in his mailbox. :halloween2

Nick Oct 15th, 2011 02:34 AM

Oh, god. I miss Fun Dip so much. Is it even still around? :(

Kitsa Oct 15th, 2011 09:27 AM

It is, but the sticks aren't always vanilla now. It's been "Willy Wonka"-appropriated. Now the sticks have basically the same flavor as what you're dipping them in. I don't know what the point of that is.

When I was a kid I loved the vanilla dipping things. I didn't have much use for the powder other than trying to make some ersatz piss-poor kool-aid with it.

Zhukov Oct 15th, 2011 09:27 AM

:tear

Sacks Oct 16th, 2011 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsa (Post 746755)
I think I mentioned it in an older version of a "halloween candy" thread, but I used to make wreaths of those orange and black things and sell them at the hospital where I worked. People actually paid like $45 for them, and they weighed almost 10 lbs. But I thought they were peanut butter, not caramel.

I think I asked you to make me one of those last year or the year before. You were pretty sore about it.

Nick Oct 16th, 2011 05:55 AM

What the hell are those orange and black candies called anyway? Anyone know?

MailCall Oct 16th, 2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 746873)

Indian corn??

Kitsa Oct 16th, 2011 11:10 AM

I don't remember why I would be sore about it...it's just a lot of work and takes one hell of a long time to make/ship. I can do it, if you're prepared to pay for it.

k0k0 Oct 16th, 2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 746873)

Orange and black peanut butter kisses. I had to google it.

I've also seen them called Mary Jane Kisses online.

Evil Robot II Oct 16th, 2011 04:55 PM

Remember to drink your fluoride. :(

executioneer Oct 16th, 2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k0k0 (Post 746881)

yeah i remember them being called mary janes i think

FUN FACT: those are also made by NECCO

Colonel Flagg Oct 16th, 2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k0k0 (Post 746881)

Quote:

Originally Posted by executioneer (Post 746895)
yeah i remember them being called mary janes i think

Yes. Mary Janes. They were the worst candy this side of horehound drops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Robot II (Post 746891)

:conspiracy

Pentegarn Oct 17th, 2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Robot II (Post 746891)

I was looking for the specific place where Supafly said what he said in my sig and got to relive some of that today

kahljorn Oct 17th, 2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockery (Post 746768)
Necco Wafers are the worst. >:

kind of reminds me of green jello for some reason ;/

ALSO ILl stiCK SOMETHINg THAT GOES WITH APPLES UP THAT GIRLS ASS

elx Oct 19th, 2011 10:56 AM

I liked it when I got really random treats -- animal crackers, the new testament, an apple, a whistle, pokemon cards, etc. useless but unexpected and thus, memorable! the only candy that used to really piss me off was banana laffy taffy. :(

elx Oct 19th, 2011 10:57 AM

oh and those caramel apple tootsie pops are my favorite treat of the holiday

Esuohlim Oct 19th, 2011 02:16 PM

I used to love getting those tiny boxes of candy that looked like thin pieces of chalk. Also, King-Size stuff.

I never really got shitty stuff like apples and Necco wafers (which I didn't mind when I did). I don't like Good & Plenty, though, which I remember getting a lot of. My dad loved them though. :\