I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   XBox 360 demos... (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18997)

Mockery Nov 6th, 2005 10:17 AM

XBox 360 demos...

In case you didn't know about it, Best Buy now has demo units of the XBox 360. I saw King Kong demo last night and while the game itself might not be all that entertaining, the landscapes looked pretty goddamned amazing.

That being said, the system is still too big. :o

Immortal Goat Nov 6th, 2005 10:20 AM

It may be a bit bigg, but I think they did it on purpose. The first one was gargantuan, so they have to continue with that style. So long as it plays the PC games that my computer can't, I'm cool with it.

Supafly345 Nov 6th, 2005 12:10 PM

Well I need a big system to compensate for my small genitals.

James Nov 6th, 2005 12:16 PM

Our store does not receive any product from Microsoft. It's gonna be a fun holiday season, having to repeat myself hundreds of times "No, we don't have XBox360, and we will not be getting anything at all for the system."

the_dudefather Nov 6th, 2005 01:28 PM

Re: XBox 360 demos...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockery
In case you didn't know about it, Best Buy now has demo units of the XBox 360. I saw King Kong demo last night and while the game itself might not be all that entertaining, the landscapes looked pretty goddamned amazing.

That being said, the system is still too big. :o

the king kong demo KICKS ASS. but then, so does anything that involves a gorrilla fighting a t-rex

Royal Tenenbaum Nov 6th, 2005 03:35 PM

What sort of shitty video game store doesn't sell MS products? I'm not really a fan of the Xbox, but it's still lame not to offer those products.

James Nov 6th, 2005 04:16 PM

We're a toy store, not a video game-specific store.

The story goes that Microsoft says our company owes them money. The company, which filed for bankrupcy, claimed they don't owe them any money on account of the bankrupcy.

So Microsoft isn't sending us any more product until they get the money they say they're owed. And the people who bought out our company over the summer don't appear to be offering any checks anytime soon.

thebiggameover Nov 7th, 2005 02:05 PM

i played a demo 360. does not look any better thn te first xbox. i will be getting the rev and the ps3 before i get this peice of shit...

ArrowX Nov 7th, 2005 10:49 PM

You DO know that Kong and around 1/3 of the 360 launch titles will be on the normal Xbox?

The 360, sadly is technologically equal, and economically better than the PS3. That killed me a bit to hear....

Immortal Goat Nov 7th, 2005 11:37 PM

Bullshit it's equal. It sure as hell isn't. PS3 is a LOT more powerful, it's just the 360 can process it faster. And it's cheaper to program for on account of the familiar data storage type. Other than that, though, PS3 is the technologically superior machine. Still doesn't mean it's better, but whatever.

Zomboid Nov 7th, 2005 11:49 PM

Well whatever. All I know is, my ps2 and the ps2's of damn near EVERY one of my friends that owned one crapped out in less than 2 years and my xbox is still going strong. Plus, I trust microsoft more. Like it or not, they're damn good at what they do and I'm very rarely disappointed with 'em. I still like playstation but I'm gonna definitely go with a 360 on this one :O

Dr. V Nov 8th, 2005 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James
We're a toy store, not a video game-specific store.

The story goes that Microsoft says our company owes them money. The company, which filed for bankrupcy, claimed they don't owe them any money on account of the bankrupcy.

So Microsoft isn't sending us any more product until they get the money they say they're owed. And the people who bought out our company over the summer don't appear to be offering any checks anytime soon.

You work at Toys R Us huh. I know the sotry, I used to work there too.

MetalMilitia Nov 8th, 2005 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immortal Goat
Bullshit it's equal. It sure as hell isn't. PS3 is a LOT more powerful, it's just the 360 can process it faster. And it's cheaper to program for on account of the familiar data storage type. Other than that, though, PS3 is the technologically superior machine. Still doesn't mean it's better, but whatever.

Well I dont know about that. The storage media does not affect programming difficulty as it is just storage. Its not like you have to program an application differently if you want it to fun from a flash drive as apposed to say, a CD.
The real programming difficulty comes from the multi core CPUs that both the 360 and PS3 use. IIRC the PS3 uses a 7 core cell processor. This will be particularly difficult to program for as it operates much differently than the more traditional (but still multi core) CPU in the 360.

Technologically speaking i thnk they are about equal. They both use different technologies for their CPUs, GPUs, RAM etc etc
Some parts are better than the equivilent in the rival system, some worse.

Supafly345 Nov 8th, 2005 07:00 AM

You know, the PS2 was in essance, better than the Xbox, but no game developers wanted to go through the headache of programming around its awesome chips. (I really missed the anti-aliasing when playing the xbox)
The xboxes are simply more powerful. They are going for a bigger engine rather than efficiancy. As a result xbox is able to handle more, and technically is more powerful. Still, the playstation is easily superior, though it doesn't matter when the games don't reflect it.

Though I haven't played either systems, so its hard to tell at this point.

whoreable Nov 8th, 2005 09:44 AM

but in that case the dreamcast is better than the ps2.

if ps3 was actually out and could play games at more than like 3 fps then maybe we could compare the two systems.

I am gonna do the big store rush after thanksgiving to try and get a 360. Im hoping I can pick one up and it will skyrocket in price like the ps2 did when first relaeased. If not I will wait 30 days for a hack if there are none it goes back to the store.

thebiggameover Nov 8th, 2005 01:39 PM

thats the thing. more ps3's will be sold because the japs love the sony. therefore more games will be on the ps3....

Supafly345 Nov 8th, 2005 04:01 PM

Yes, that's true. Japan has like triple the population of the US, so sony already owns the market.

Royal Tenenbaum Nov 8th, 2005 05:08 PM

[quote="Supafly345"] Japan has like triple the population of the US[quote]

:lol It has less than half.

timrpgland Nov 8th, 2005 05:20 PM

I don't know, for a next gen system it just doesn't seem all that awesome visually.

I'll get it but probably not right away.

ArrowX Nov 8th, 2005 06:02 PM

The worst part of these arguments is the fact that not alot has been shown for the PS3, I'm into most consoles solidly for games. I could care less about graphics if the games just plain kick ass. The PS3 is currently riding off of already popular games ( MGS, Killzone) whereas the 360 is primarily New titles. Besides, when the PS3 filnally hits it will have to compete with Microsofts already rabid fan base (if any) and their established market, they have a monopoly for at least 8-9 months.

Supafly345 Nov 8th, 2005 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Tenenbaum
Quote:

Originally Posted by Supafly345
Japan has like triple the population of the US

:lol It has less than half.

My god.

Immortal Goat Nov 8th, 2005 07:14 PM

XBox will probably be the winner this next generation. Sony is really dropping the ball this time around, and even with the Japanese market, Sony can't beat it. THe Japanese market has been declining anyway, so that won't matter. Supposedly, the PS3 will not come out until 2007, so by that time, people will already have a 360 and a Revolution, seeing as the 360 will provide good next gen games, and the Revolution will provide good games with a new twist for cheap.

PS3 is going to flop. I am calling it now.

Zomboid Nov 8th, 2005 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supafly345
You know, the PS2 was in essance, better than the Xbox, but no game developers wanted to go through the headache of programming around its awesome chips. (I really missed the anti-aliasing when playing the xbox)
The xboxes are simply more powerful. They are going for a bigger engine rather than efficiancy. As a result xbox is able to handle more, and technically is more powerful. Still, the playstation is easily superior, though it doesn't matter when the games don't reflect it.

Though I haven't played either systems, so its hard to tell at this point.

How was it better when the xbox was more powerful and had better games? The shitty dvd player that broke on what seemed like 30% of the systems? Maybe the inferior online play and inability to put custom soundtracks and shit in games?

ArrowX Nov 8th, 2005 08:11 PM

Not to mention the Xbox also doubled for home defence as a cudule, and could be easily repaired. I've had mine running with no top half of its case for months now and it works just as good as the day I replaced the main cable and the DVD drive.

Yggdrasill Nov 8th, 2005 08:19 PM

I still have a dreamcast and super nintendo that work. But the playstations are fucked even though we tried to take special care with them. >: I want RPGs for the Nintendo, so I don't have to buy 3 fucking playstations to play anything good. >: