I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Baby ipod playlist. (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69704010)

Kitsa Jan 21st, 2010 09:09 AM

Baby ipod playlist.

So this stroller that my parents got, it's got a snap container near the handlebar for an mp3 player. Seriously, you put the mp3 player in the container, plug that sumbitch in and there are speakers down near the seat that deliver music to the baby. I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. The stroller isn't even that expensive.

Well, what the hell. We got a cheapie 4 gig memorex and I figure I might as well ensure that there's no KidzBop going on here, I want her to grow up with some taste. Now I need a baby playlist.

I want to do a big mix of everything, from classical (Vivaldi and Mozart mostly) to whatever. Ramones are a given. I'm going to stay away from death metal or anything especially distressing/depressing for the time being.

I'm taking suggestions.

Pentegarn Jan 21st, 2010 09:13 AM

I would suggest Steel Panther for my own amusement. But I don't think you are looking to teach your baby about tongue-in-cheek sex driven hair metal parody bands. So my serious recommendation would be throw in a song or two by Yes. Maybe "I've seen all good people", "Starship Trooper", "Going for the one", or "Roundabout".

Fathom Zero Jan 21st, 2010 09:16 AM

I had Mozart tapes as a kid. I think it's responsible for my love for music.

King Hadas Jan 21st, 2010 11:02 AM

Simon & Garfunkel? I know what I like but I'm not sure what would be best for an infant. Maybe something in a foreign language.

Colonel Flagg Jan 21st, 2010 11:26 AM

Peter and the Wolf (Prokofiev), Carnival of the Animals (Saint-Saëns), The Nutcracker Suite (Tchaikovsky) are all kid-friendly classics.

Fathom Zero Jan 21st, 2010 11:42 AM

Dude, Peter and the Wolf is great. So is Peer Gynt. I always loved In the Hall of the Mountain King.

And I'm not suggesting music because it's gonna make your kid smarter. It's just... more melodic, and probably easier on a kid than the Sex Pistols or Iron Maiden. Music with lyrics are a bit lost on a mind made of jello.

Pentegarn Jan 21st, 2010 11:47 AM

I would think Simon and Garfunklel would be a good choice for similar reasons I would choose Yes. Vocally Simon and Garfunkel are very pleasant, just like Yes is instrumentally pleasant. I would go with complex pieces that are good examples of their genre. Xanadu by Rush would be a good synthesized rock piece, YYZ by Rush would be a good complex guitar piece (though the baby might react poorly to electric guitars, they might sound scary to them)

Fathom Zero Jan 21st, 2010 11:59 AM

That's a good one.

I also remember from my childhood Electric Light Orchestra. It doesn't get any better feeling than them.

Colonel Flagg Jan 21st, 2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 668762)
Dude, Peter and the Wolf is great. So is Peer Gynt. I always loved In the Hall of the Mountain King.

I :love Grieg. I remember seeing "The Song of Norway" when I was a young'un. Good stuff!

Grislygus Jan 21st, 2010 12:11 PM

MUDDAFUKIN TOM PETTY

And toddlers love the hell out of Enya, for some reason

Tadao Jan 21st, 2010 12:20 PM

The Beatles always makes kids happy, I think it's Ringo's simple drumming.

Sam Jan 21st, 2010 02:45 PM

MASTODON: CRACK THE SKYE

IT'S ABOUT RASPUTIN AND A PARAPALEGIC SO IT'S EDUCATION AND SHIT

bigtimecow Jan 21st, 2010 05:04 PM

cocteau twins. the vocals are complete gibberish

get it?

Tadao Jan 21st, 2010 05:14 PM

How do you feel about Jazz?

Pentegarn Jan 22nd, 2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadao (Post 668776)
The Beatles always makes kids happy, I think it's Ringo's simple drumming.

This is true

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 668766)
I also remember from my childhood Electric Light Orchestra. It doesn't get any better feeling than them.

Not a bad idea, but be careful on this one. Go with something light and fun, like 'Mr. Blue Sky' or the very obscure 'One Summer Dream' and steer clear of their well done instrumental 'Fire on High' only because the weird sounding beginning is scary to adults even so I can't imagine how it would effect a baby.

Fathom Zero Jan 22nd, 2010 11:36 AM

Just grab the Greatest Hits and you'll be alright.

Kitsa Jan 22nd, 2010 07:29 PM

all good suggestions. Jazz is fine.

Keep it coming, I have 4 gigs.

executioneer Jan 22nd, 2010 07:50 PM

colma by buckethead :(

Sam Jan 22nd, 2010 07:54 PM

NO! by They Might Be Giants :x

executioneer Jan 22nd, 2010 07:56 PM

they might be giants are very educational music

Tadao Jan 22nd, 2010 07:59 PM

Branford Marsalis
Eric Clapton
B.B. King

King Hadas Jan 22nd, 2010 10:15 PM

George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in the Blue."

I love Chuck Berry's Deep Feeling, Low Feeling and Blue Feeling compositions, Low Feeling being my favorite. They're real laid back compared to Berry's other music.

Rodrigo y Gabriella, I love those flamenco guitars but your baby might not have a taste for them.

Grateful Dead's "Friend of the Devil."

Ozzy Osbourne's "Momma I'm Coming Home."

Tadao Jan 22nd, 2010 10:50 PM

^^^
A lot of old Grateful Dead would be good. American Beauty and Workingman's Dead would be 2 albums to consider.

Elvis Costello

Colonel Flagg Jan 22nd, 2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Hadas (Post 669112)
Ozzy Osbourne's "Momma I'm Coming Home."

One of his best.

If you are amenable to modern-ish jazz fusion, try Pat Metheny. He's rather eclectic, but his music is generally upbeat with complex rhythmic structure and interesting melodies. Two albums to try are "Speaking of Now" and "Letter from Home".

Babs Jan 25th, 2010 03:30 AM

Kidz Bop version of Frank Zappa's greatest hits including Catholic Girls.