I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   A Boy and His Blob! (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69701768)

Phoenix Gamma Mar 4th, 2009 12:18 PM

A Boy and His Blob!

A sequel is coming to the Wii, and it looks really, really pretty.

http://www.destructoid.com/a-boy-and...t-123685.phtml

And on top of that, it's made by WayForward, who made the awesome Contra 4 on the DS. This is going to be a great retro revival.

Speaking of which, Punch-Out!! is confirmed to use NES-style controls as well as motion controls. So it's nice to hear that game isn't going to be doomed either :D

darkvare Mar 4th, 2009 12:36 PM

i never played the original

pac-man Mar 4th, 2009 12:47 PM

Looks like a children's book.

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 4th, 2009 01:49 PM

Boy and his blob was the shit and was kinda hard actually.

mew barios Mar 4th, 2009 05:40 PM

i bought a boy and his blob from a toys'r'us for 20$. primarily because it was 20$ new, i guess it was like a proto-budgetgame :o a pretty entertaining puzzle/platformer and a fine evolution on the model of pitfall. which isn't too surprising since it was made by david crane

Mockery Mar 4th, 2009 07:17 PM

Definitely some good news for the Wii. Lookin' forward to seeing Blob eating jellybeans again... and Punch-Out too.

Phoenix Gamma Mar 5th, 2009 03:25 PM

Gameplay video!

http://www.destructoid.com/first-gam...e-123778.phtml

Looks so much fun. I can't wait to see what kind of ball busting puzzles they'll throw at us.

Babs Mar 5th, 2009 03:36 PM

:) this pleases me. I think I will purchase a Wii when this comes out.

pac-man Mar 5th, 2009 03:40 PM

I hate the art style. Everything else about it seems groovy.

Phoenix Gamma Mar 5th, 2009 03:41 PM

What's wrong with groovy?

I like groovy :(

pac-man Mar 5th, 2009 03:48 PM

Groovy is good. Everything about the game is groovy for me except the art style. Too children's book-ish. Not that I'd rather it be gritty/realistic, but it looks like a Beatrix Potter book. At first I thought maybe they were going for a Braid, dreamy watercolor look, but seeing it in motion confirms that it's going for that Nick Jr. look.

Guitar Woman Mar 5th, 2009 03:57 PM

This is pretty much completely awesome

Nick Mar 5th, 2009 05:41 PM

This is going to be awesome. I may actually have to start playing my Wii again.

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 5th, 2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pac-man (Post 617622)
Groovy is good. Everything about the game is groovy for me except the art style. Too children's book-ish. Not that I'd rather it be gritty/realistic, but it looks like a Beatrix Potter book. At first I thought maybe they were going for a Braid, dreamy watercolor look, but seeing it in motion confirms that it's going for that Nick Jr. look.

I think I'm going to play it. I see what you mean by the Nick Jr. look though. Hopefully they won't have a Maya the Bee jellybean in the game.

pac-man Mar 5th, 2009 07:57 PM

I'm just not a fan of that look. Too saccharine/cutesy/whatever you want to call it.

Phoenix Gamma Mar 6th, 2009 03:14 AM

I think Wii owners are used to that look :X

Mockery Mar 6th, 2009 08:26 AM

I dunno, for a game about a boy who feeds jellybeans to his shape-shifting blob, I think the art direction is spot on. I don't think it's too cutesy or anything... there are plenty of Wii games (ie: Cooking Mama, etc) which are too cute, but this isn't one of 'em. Seeing those videos makes me even more excited for it. That and the fact that you no longer have to memorize what jellybeans do what is damned nice.

MarioRPG Mar 6th, 2009 09:11 AM

I'm not sure if I'll be into this one. I didn't find the original very fun. There wasn't much direction of what to do, etc.

e: That said, I actually think the art style is pretty nifty. Looks just about right for a story about a boy who feeds a blob jellybeans.

Babs Mar 6th, 2009 09:25 AM

I loved the original and I can't wait for this now

pac-man Mar 6th, 2009 09:34 AM

Diff'rent strokes, I guess. If that isn't cutesy I'd like to see the definition. I don't own a Wii so I'm not their audience anyway. The town and caves are a great evolution from the original, but the enchanted forest gives me diabeetus. Also, I don't think the story necessitates a certain art style- the box art/manual for the original are just as spot on as this is.

Phoenix Gamma Mar 6th, 2009 01:24 PM

The way I see it, it could have been a LOT worse.

Nick Mar 6th, 2009 01:50 PM

That looks more like fan art.

Mockery Mar 6th, 2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pac-man (Post 617768)
Also, I don't think the story necessitates a certain art style

I think the story of a game should always call for a certain art style. Though, I gotta admit, it would be fun to see a game like Doom take place in something that looked like Candyland. Shooting unicorns with a BFG that shoots killer gumdrops sounds like a good time to me.

Tadao Mar 6th, 2009 03:08 PM

I think Adult Swim made a game like that once.

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 6th, 2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockery (Post 617761)
That and the fact that you no longer have to memorize what jellybeans do what is damned nice.

:lol I hated forgetting which one did which. Like being in the underwater cavern and accidentally using the rocket ship. Straight to dead :x