I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Board games (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69700955)

10,000 Volt Ghost Oct 31st, 2008 09:59 PM

Board games

I just found out about Yetisburg. Civil War game that takes place in Gettysburg but fought with Yetis.

http://paizo.com/titanicGames/v5748btpy81x6

Also, a new Risk game is coming out soon.

Zhukov Nov 1st, 2008 09:43 AM

I have never played Risk, but I grew up playing Axis and Allies. A Canadian workmate of mine forced me to come to his house to play Axis and Allies recently, and I had a great time. He also taught me how to play Magic The Gathering - not so great, but still better than I thought.

I would get into any board game I think.

I want to buy myself a replica set of the Lewis Chessmen. For christmas. An expensive set, too. My girlfriend is from Lewis.

pac-man Nov 1st, 2008 02:23 PM

They need to re-release Fireball Island.

darkvare Nov 1st, 2008 02:56 PM

i have clue of my own and love risk i want some of thosee weird ones

10,000 Volt Ghost Nov 1st, 2008 05:02 PM

I also want to get a copy of paranoia. I've never played it but it sounds fantastic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoi...e-playing_game)

Intended as a spoof on other RPGs, the Paranoia rulebook is unique in a number of ways. For example, in earlier versions of Paranoia, the entire chapter on rules is labeled 'optional', and player knowledge of the rules is treasonous (treason, of course, being punishable by summary execution).

Angryhydralisk Nov 4th, 2008 11:48 AM

I always got stuck with board games that were kick ass but hard-to-find now, like...

Hero Quest (i've had no less than 3 copies of this over 15 years.)
Tornado Taz
Back Off, Buzzard!
Pass The Pigs (I'm sure this one's still in print but it's great!)
Monopoly Jr.
1313 Dead End Drive (The Original with the mean-mugging detective and the rules that made no sense.)
One that had a bunch of adventurers collecting a jewel from a big tiki's mouth.
Some other board game that had six knights and two worlds, one on each side of the mat. Real awkward, and barely made sense.

Neen Nov 4th, 2008 04:37 PM

Donkey Kong had a board game.

http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0759/

Incidentally, I think that site may have been out-competed by I-mockery. It's natural selection, people.

10,000 Volt Ghost Nov 4th, 2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angryhydralisk (Post 591874)
I always got stuck with board games that were kick ass but hard-to-find now, like...

Hero Quest (i've had no less than 3 copies of this over 15 years.)
Tornado Taz
Back Off, Buzzard!
Pass The Pigs (I'm sure this one's still in print but it's great!)
Monopoly Jr.
1313 Dead End Drive (The Original with the mean-mugging detective and the rules that made no sense.)
One that had a bunch of adventurers collecting a jewel from a big tiki's mouth.
Some other board game that had six knights and two worlds, one on each side of the mat. Real awkward, and barely made sense.

1313 Dead End drive was the bomb.

The board game with the six knights I believe is Key to the Kingdom. Where you have you go through a whirlpool to get to the other map. One of my favs, I still have a copy of it.

LordSappington Nov 4th, 2008 07:43 PM

MORE LIKE BORED GAMES AMIRITE

pac-man Nov 4th, 2008 08:41 PM

Bring it back, god damn it!

10,000 Volt Ghost Nov 4th, 2008 09:17 PM

Fireball Island looks more in-tense than camping. I want that!

Zomboid Nov 4th, 2008 09:55 PM

lol@ "in-tense"

10,000 Volt Ghost Nov 4th, 2008 10:32 PM

I don't think anyone would have gotten the pun if I had spelled intense correctly.

Zomboid Nov 4th, 2008 10:42 PM

I don't think it would really be a pun if you had.

10,000 Volt Ghost Nov 4th, 2008 10:48 PM

More in tents than camping

OxBlood Nov 5th, 2008 02:38 AM

Even I get that ;)

pac-man Nov 5th, 2008 03:00 AM

I got it and lol'd. Fireball Island is a fucking awesome board game. Also, I don't know if Mr. Game Show qualifies as a "board game", but they need to bring that shit back too.

EDIT: Somebody here has got to remember this. I still have mine but he doesn't work for shit anymore :(

OxBlood Nov 5th, 2008 05:33 AM

Let me show you one of my personal favorites as I am an eager Boardgame player or at least try to be...finding people who actually LIKE boardgames is pretty hard.

Excellent game from my favorite "Universe" and it looks the way a boardgame has to look like:

Tons or cardboard-clips, cards and stuff lying around and the whole thing takes 3-4 hours to complete...that´s my kind of game.

Sam Nov 5th, 2008 10:55 AM

Fuck you for having that OxBlood. I fucking want that but that shit costs like $50 bucks everytime I find it. >:

10,000 Volt Ghost Nov 5th, 2008 02:15 PM

Pac-man: I found out my friend has a copy of Fireball Island, might play it next week sometime. I don't remember the Mr. Game Show though. It looks pretty out there.

OxBlood: This game looks really nice, haven't heard of it before though. Any board game that takes 4 hrs to play though count me in. It is really hard to find enough people to play them regularly though.

Sam: It seems the cost on a lot of games is awful. I've been trying to get a copy of Atmosfear for a while but it's still $50. For now we're settling on still having of copy of Nightmare: Video Board Game.

VaporTrailx1 Nov 5th, 2008 07:36 PM

How bought these 2?
(The German version was the first pic I found)

Girl Drink Drunk Nov 5th, 2008 10:49 PM

I wanna play Hero Quest again :(

darkvare Nov 5th, 2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 592123)
Fuck you for having that OxBlood. I fucking want that but that shit costs like $50 bucks everytime I find it. >:

is 120 bucks on amazon.com

executioneer Nov 6th, 2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost (Post 591438)
I also want to get a copy of paranoia. I've never played it but it sounds fantastic.

Intended as a spoof on other RPGs, the Paranoia rulebook is unique in a number of ways. For example, in earlier versions of Paranoia, the entire chapter on rules is labeled 'optional', and player knowledge of the rules is treasonous (treason, of course, being punishable by summary execution).

i've got the paranoia xp rulebook, and even though i've never played it with anyone just reading it was pretty fun, the sense of humor is fantastic

OxBlood Nov 6th, 2008 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkvare (Post 592351)
is 120 bucks on amazon.com

What? 120$? Letīs see...that would be about 93€. I think I paid about 40€ for it, 51$. A pretty fair price for such a massive thing.

And concerning Hero Quest, guess what I bought not long ago for about 20 bucks. Hehe. Oh and I love to buy things in $, saves me quite a bit of money.

Funfact about Star Quest, the 40k Version of Hero Quest (donīt know if it has the same name in the US): All weapons have been re-written into non-lethal ones in the german version.

And the next game:

Nice too but more of the fantasy-kind. Also 50 Bucks ;)

Angryhydralisk Nov 6th, 2008 12:18 PM

Hell, I remember Tips & Tricks did an induction on roughly a dozen video-game themed board games. Then again, so has X-entertainment.

argonath Nov 15th, 2008 05:58 PM

My brother and I used to play Stratego, Risk, Creature Features (a Monopoly knock-off with classic horror movies), The Goonies, Fury of Dracula, and Talisman a lot about 15 years ago. I've gotten a few games since then, but it is hard to find time/people to play with. I think if I ever get Arkham Horror it would make me buckle down and find a group somewhere.

MailCall Dec 27th, 2008 07:17 AM

I come from the era before video games. We played baseball outside when it was sunny. When it rained we played baseball. In the snow we played football in a guy's back yard across from the grade school. But when the weather got too bad, or if we couldn't get enough guys together for sports, we played board games. Our favorites were stat-driven sports games like Strat-O-Matic Baseball and Paydirt. Back then companies like Avalon Hill and Sports Illustrated would come out with lots of these types of board games. They were kinda like Dungeons And Dragons, they had dice you'd roll for outcomes, but instead of Orcs and Mages you'd have Wide Receivers and Second Basemen.

bigtimecow Dec 27th, 2008 09:39 AM

we've been playing clue for the past couple of days. it's fuckin ballin

Pentegarn Dec 27th, 2008 02:04 PM

When I was at Origins I played a game called Battue that I had to own.

Tadao Dec 27th, 2008 02:58 PM

Yahtzee free for all. It's awesome. Our family like to drink and yell and cheat.

executioneer Dec 27th, 2008 03:32 PM

i've been playing a lot of monopoly online :x :x :x (although it's the here & now world edititon so it's got all the property names wrong and the money is in fractions of millions instead of 1-500 increments >:)

10,000 Volt Ghost Dec 27th, 2008 03:52 PM

I want to play monopoly online. I'm not such a fan of themed monopoly boards though. I had to play on an NFL board once. It was lame. They came out with a Tree house of horror board. Bad news bears.

10,000 Volt Ghost Jan 3rd, 2009 02:54 PM

So I went out with a few of my girlfriends last night to a bar. At around 3:30 they're like "Let's go home and play Mall Madness!". I was thinking it was going to be some kind of drinking game with cards. Boy was I wrong. Mall Madness is a board game for girls that is kinda like monopoly but I think the point of the game is to get rid of all your money the quickest.....guess what game I didn't win last night???

]

Sam Jan 3rd, 2009 03:45 PM

NINTENDO MONOPOLY! :eek

At Christmas we played a lot of Upwords at my house. :(

10,000 Volt Ghost Jan 3rd, 2009 03:53 PM

I don't know if it's just me but I really don't like upwards. My roomie got Nintendo Monopoly but haven't opened yet.

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 5th, 2009 06:24 PM

Was playing Monopoly last night and we ended up using some rules that we haven't in a while.

$400 if you land directly on GO. My cousin told me that was the way they played in California but that was in 1989. Usually we play with tax money and such going into the middle for free parking. I never play with the bidding on properties rule so that was an adjustment.

Anyone use any uncommon house rules.

DevilWearsPrada Mar 5th, 2009 08:17 PM

I use those exact rules every time I play

Misdemonar Mar 5th, 2009 09:05 PM

THE QUAKELIVE THREAD BEATS THE SHIT OUT OF THIS ONE.

executioneer Mar 5th, 2009 09:08 PM

what the hell is quakelive

Tadao Mar 5th, 2009 09:12 PM

It's a new board game from id

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 5th, 2009 09:12 PM

yeah, wish you woulda put a space in it. I saw it was pronounced quackalife.

stevetothepast Sep 14th, 2009 12:23 PM

this is the best board game ever.

Dimnos Sep 14th, 2009 12:37 PM

On the contrary...

stevetothepast Sep 14th, 2009 01:07 PM

what the hell is that? haha it looks awesome, but I can't make out the name. (gammarauders??)

executioneer Sep 14th, 2009 01:13 PM

YOU'RE BOTH WRONG

Dimnos Sep 14th, 2009 01:21 PM

That. Is a rampaging cyborg T-Rex. Yeah Gammarauders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gammarauders

Babs Sep 15th, 2009 09:01 PM

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 18th, 2009 02:52 PM

I've been playing Cosmic Encounter lately which is amazing fun. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_encounter

Dr. Boogie Sep 18th, 2009 04:06 PM

My sister and I love this game, but she thinks I cheat because I always wind up with the most churches.

OxBlood Sep 25th, 2009 05:51 AM

Why do I feel like Iīve never been in this thread while reading my own stuff on page one...I really should get my memory-flesh checked.

Anyway, newest additions to my ever growing army of boardgame-cyberzombaliens:

100% cooperative game to save the world from highly contagious deseases! Whoo.

Not so cooperative game with the classic "All vs. 1 Traitor"-mechanic. If you like the show and have more than 3 hours time, give it a try, itīs pretty nice.

About the same in terms of player vs. traitor but this time with quests and the holy grail. Why not.

stevetothepast Sep 25th, 2009 07:38 AM

I like battlestar but I don't think I could commit myself to playing 3 hours worth of a board game based on it's universe. Pandemic looks fucking cool.

OxBlood Sep 26th, 2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevetothepast (Post 650189)
I like battlestar but I don't think I could commit myself to playing 3 hours worth of a board game based on it's universe. Pandemic looks fucking cool.

Ah, BSG is less about being in the universe but being a friggin mean Cylon foiling the noble plans of the humans ;)

And Pandemic is indeed pretty neat. Nice thing about it is that it is so darn easy to explain and teach.

Dimnos Sep 28th, 2009 04:34 PM

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 29th, 2009 04:17 PM

I want to get a copy of Paranoia to play:

Dimnos Sep 29th, 2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost (Post 650789)
I want to get a copy of Paranoia to play:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoi...-playing_game)

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 29th, 2009 05:18 PM

:lol

executioneer Sep 29th, 2009 07:37 PM

i've got the paranoia xp rulebook, you don't really NEED a copy as long as the GM's got one- in fact, knowledge of the rules is a good way to get your character killed ;( it is a pretty excellent read, though

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 29th, 2009 08:26 PM

That's what I've read. I'll look into just grabbing the rulebook then.

stevetothepast Oct 14th, 2009 05:40 PM

this game is not so much a board game, but is really fun.

Pentegarn Oct 15th, 2009 07:55 AM

Wow Rebound takes me back. Made me remember me of some other old school games I played as a youngin'.

Pathfinder. It was kind of like battleship, but with mazes instead of boats.

Dark Tower. A pretty neat electronic board game where you took your turn off of the tower and it would tell you what happened to your band of warriors each turn.

Crossbows and Catapults (parents hated this one) you used mini crossbows and catapults to fire hard plastic ammo at each others castles. The one to get an ammo piece into the center tile of their opponent's castle first won.

Dungeon. TSR made a fantasy board game back in the day, simple to follow rules but with some balance issues between character goals.

RaNkeri Oct 15th, 2009 04:14 PM

Nothing beats "The Star of Africa"

stevetothepast Oct 15th, 2009 04:43 PM

we want pictures of it then.

executioneer Oct 15th, 2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 653296)
Dungeon. TSR made a fantasy board game back in the day, simple to follow rules but with some balance issues between character goals.

i think i posted about dungeon in an older board game thread :( GOOD MEMORIES

OxBlood Oct 16th, 2009 03:57 AM

Okay, so everybody liked Pandemic a lot, next let´s see what they say to Talisman 4th (old, I know but not a common sight in Germany)...I would play Prophecy with them but there are some in the group that can´t speak english so that one´s out.

OxBlood Nov 16th, 2009 04:28 AM

So I bought

And guess what? It´s awesome, who would have thought that ;)
4 eternal powers of chaos duking it out on the back of the poor wretched mortals while spreading disease and degeneration? Slaughtering everything in their path and corrupting the very soil their diablolic minions stand on while loyal cultists scream their names before being sacrificed in the name of the twisted forces of chaos itself?

Sign me up.

Zhukov Nov 16th, 2009 10:47 PM

I was thinking of getting that. Have you played it yet?

OxBlood Nov 17th, 2009 03:04 AM

I´ve played 2 times with myself emulating the other players, just to get a grip on the rules and all that. But even alone it´s quite fun (if you can bring yourself to oppose your other 2 or 3 selfs if you know what I mean).

Anyway, it is definetely a lot of fun, everyone tries to win the way their Chaosgod should which is different for each of the 4 gods (Khorne has to kill in as many different regions as possible per round, the other three have to corrupt the land in specific ways) while trying to stop the other gods from dominating too much or pitting your enemies against each other (Tzeentch teleporting other player´s figures around the board, forcing them to fight, Slaanesh keeping Khorne from fighting or Khorne preventing Nurgle from infesting the lands for example).

If you want, I can briefly explain how the game is played, if you haven´t already read the rules.

Zhukov Nov 17th, 2009 05:21 AM

Yeah, that would be cool.

Also;

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD. SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE.

executioneer Nov 17th, 2009 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhukov (Post 659341)
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD. SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE.

x100

OxBlood Nov 17th, 2009 08:26 AM

Okay, lets see...this might lead to a wall of text, but I love explaining these things, so bear with me :D

The objective of the game is to either score 50 victory points or as many VP as you can by the end of the game (which is 7 rounds) OR advance the "threat-dial" of the God you´re playing as all the way to the end which takes different amounts of ticks depending on who you play. How do you get any of these? I shall explain a little later.

The beauty of the game, other than the fact that you play as a friggin God of Chaos (I like that fact a lot even though I don´t have any history with the Warhammer Universe...with Chaos...that´s another thing), is that you have to work towards your goal while trying to hamper the efforts of your fellow players, preferably WITH another player only to doublecross him in the next round all while the old world down below tries to fend you off (they won´t succeed with that mwuhehehe)

So, how exactly is the game played? It is divided into 6 phases which I will explain below. Spoilertags for more convenience.

Spoilers!

Those are the phases of the game, maybe I explained them too detailed, I don´t know but now you know how the game is played more or less.

One last thing that need to be explained: The dial itself. Not only does each and every advancement you get on the dial bring you closer to total victory, it also grants you bonusses. Some Victory points or maybe a valuable upgrade to your god? There´s one upgrade for each of your three troop-types as well as two upgrades for yourself, really really useful.

And...that´s Chaos in the old world in a nutshell more or less.

Zhukov Nov 17th, 2009 08:46 AM

Well thank you for going to the trouble, that sounds cool.

As an aside, who is your chosen god?

OxBlood Nov 17th, 2009 09:44 AM

Mine? Hm...I guess, I´m a Tzeentch kind of guy. The Changer of Ways is versatile, tries to avoid needles confrontation and can mess with the game quite a bit. Sounds like me :D

Gamewise, they are all cool since they all play pretty differently. I´m really looking forward to trying that thing out with real people :D

OxBlood Dec 2nd, 2009 04:59 AM

And yes, me again, the only Boardgame Enthusiast here :p

Fresh from Amazon (and the only thing that prevents me from goin on a bloody rampage because I accidently destroyed my TV):

and...yeah, it´s good, 50 Pages of Rules, 200 Plastic Dudes, a lot of work in terms of storing all the crap in the box but yeah, good stuff as far as I can tell...and I need a bigger Table, oh yes.

Dimnos Dec 2nd, 2009 01:09 PM

Zomboid Dec 2nd, 2009 02:12 PM

I picked up a copy of CATOPOLY at the Super Flea Market!

BatmanJohnson Dec 3rd, 2009 09:56 PM

I want to buy and play Last night on Earth:The zombie survival game. Then Again I don't know how many of my friends would play with me. I'd also like to play Arkham Horror. But I know none of my friends would play with me.

OxBlood Dec 4th, 2009 03:06 AM

But Arkham is a very nice game, played it about...3 or 4 times with my friends and up until now, everyone liked it. And only one other person besides me even knows who H.P. Lovecraft even was.

Why wouldn´t your guys play Arkham with you? I mean it´s an immersive, complex and rather well designed game with a lot of things you can do. AND it´s 100% cooperative, that´s always a plus.

Zhukov Dec 4th, 2009 08:18 AM

Nah, I have the same problem. I'm a big fan of board and war games of all sorts, but I rarely play simply because there is not many people to play with. Only one of my friends like board games, and even then it's not as much as I do.

Fathom Zero Dec 4th, 2009 08:46 AM

I'm the odd man out of all my friends who doesn't really enjoy these table top games. But they're hardcore into D&D, too. I can play MUNCHKIN.

Pentegarn Dec 4th, 2009 11:02 PM

COSI had a board game event this evening and I played a game called Dwarven Dig

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6531

It was pretty neat

Sam Dec 5th, 2009 01:34 PM

Munchkin is good, BUT MUNCHKIN CTHULHU IS BETTER!

MrSmiley381 Dec 5th, 2009 04:59 PM

I hate Munchkin because of people who just misinterpret the rules and cheat more than the game is designed to allow. Then again, shit is silly and fun.

Doom: The Board Game isn't half bad, either.

Fathom Zero Dec 5th, 2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 661893)
Munchkin is good, BUT MUNCHKIN CTHULHU IS BETTER!

HAVE IT. HAVE SUPER MUNCHKIN ALSO.

Sam Dec 5th, 2009 05:32 PM

GET MUNCHKIN BLENDER AND COMBINE THEM SHITS

Fathom Zero Dec 5th, 2009 05:32 PM

I WANT IT I WANT THEM ALL.

BatmanJohnson Dec 6th, 2009 11:26 PM

So Munchkin is good? I've been considering getting it from my local comic store.

Fathom Zero Dec 7th, 2009 12:35 AM

It's supah fun and supah easy to learn. LIFETIME TO MASTER.

Zhukov Dec 15th, 2009 08:52 AM

Seen this Oxblood?

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed...eidm=98&esem=1

Horus Heresy board game. My guess for price will be about $AU150/100 Euro.

Zhukov Dec 15th, 2009 08:54 AM

Ah.. it's already priced. $US100.

Also, thanks again for not allowing me to edit Chojin.

OxBlood Dec 16th, 2009 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhukov (Post 663079)
Seen this Oxblood?

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed...eidm=98&esem=1

Horus Heresy board game. My guess for price will be about $AU150/100 Euro.

Looks interesting...something I should keep in mind. Thanks for the heads up :) Tomorrow will be BG-Night again, I wonder what weīll play...last time it was Shogun which was really good.

BatmanJohnson Dec 16th, 2009 01:38 PM

Got Munchkin from my Secret Santa, I LOVE IT. I'm already ordering expansions.

Chojin Dec 17th, 2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhukov (Post 663080)
Ah.. it's already priced. $US100.

Also, thanks again for not allowing me to edit Chojin.

i don't remember the reason why, but i don't think i've ever done it without a reason

Pentegarn Dec 17th, 2009 10:47 AM

Maybe he's learned his lesson, whatever it was.

OxBlood Dec 18th, 2009 04:23 AM

So, the game of the evening was "Antike" or Antique, if that´s its english name. A rather light game of empire-building with a little research and a lot of conquest. Came in second which was alright since I didn´t try to do anything senseful with my Greek People.

Zhukov Dec 18th, 2009 10:56 AM

The Greeks were never senseful, in my opinion.

Also, I think I know why I had my edit taken away.

Pentegarn Dec 18th, 2009 12:31 PM

Speaking of Munchkin, my friend says he might be getting the Munchkin board game for x-mas, I saw a glimpse of it at the 2007 Origins convention (it was a Steven Jackson hosted sneak preview IIRC) and I liked what I saw so I can't wait for him to get it so we can learn to play it

10,000 Volt Ghost Dec 25th, 2009 01:38 PM

Every christmas eve I get together with my dads side of the family and we usually play a board game. We played catchphrase last night

My word was action figures so I said to my team: "Okay, so a girl will play will dolls. A boy will play with..."

and my Uncle Don yells out "A wuss!"

dammit :(

Pentegarn Jan 3rd, 2010 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost (Post 665113)
Every christmas eve I get together with my dads side of the family and we usually play a board game. We played catchphrase last night

My word was action figures so I said to my team: "Okay, so a girl will play will dolls. A boy will play with..."

and my Uncle Don yells out "A wuss!"

dammit :(

:lol

SLjimbolian Jan 5th, 2010 01:05 AM

Now this was one hell of a game.