I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   PC gaming on its last leg (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69703364)

Ant10708 Oct 28th, 2009 05:21 PM

PC gaming on its last leg

So I have been reading alot recently about the end to PC gaming. It seems that there just aren't enough people playing(my guess is buying with all the pirates i see just on this site alone) pc games for the developers to turn a profit. Another issue is obviously console gaming(before 360 errors anyways) just makes it easier to pop in a game and start playing without having to install or upgrade or the various other things I needed to do to make sure my pc games ran smoothly. What do you guys think? I havn't really played pc games in many years since my hs days of diablo 2 and counter-strike. downloadable content being charged to 360 users and given free to pc gamers is making me consider getting left 4 dead on the PC.

Dimnos Oct 28th, 2009 05:33 PM

PC gaming has supposedly been on its last leg for years now. While it doesnt turn the profit console gaming does I dont think its going anywhere anytime soon. I bet we see a lot less PC only titles though. :\

Zomboid Oct 28th, 2009 05:53 PM

PC gaming has the potential to be really cool, but it just don't compare anymore. It's so easy to go and pick a game off of my self and put it into the various consoles. I'd be playing within a minute. With computer gaming, downloading patches, upgrading hardware, etc is always a problem.

Also, I like playing video games with friends, from time to time. I like being able to just sit down, grab a controller, and play.

Dr. Boogie Oct 28th, 2009 06:04 PM

It still has some strong points for it: Mods for games like Fallout 3, the potential for better graphics, and what is the best in my mind, the best controller for shooters.
But it is getting killed by things like DRM and half-assed PC ports.

If they ever come up with a way to let you play 360/PS3 games with a keyboard and mouse, I might have to abandon PC gaming for a while.

darkvare Oct 28th, 2009 06:27 PM

i think you can play some ps3 games with keyboard and mouse

Fathom Zero Oct 28th, 2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkvare (Post 655622)
i think you can play some ps3 games with keyboard and mouse

Indeed. A few shooters support it.

Dr. Boogie Oct 28th, 2009 06:36 PM

A few minutes after I made that last post, my PC crashed, and wouldn't start up again.

darkvare Oct 28th, 2009 06:40 PM

it resents you for threating to leave it

Dr. Boogie Oct 28th, 2009 06:44 PM

Apparently "PC" stands for "Possessive Cunt".

Chojin Oct 28th, 2009 06:47 PM

PC gaming is basically MMO gaming in the eyes of every publisher out there right now. It's nearly impossible to get the go-ahead to take on any other kind of PC project.

Zhukov Oct 28th, 2009 07:02 PM

I don't want to have to play Red Alert or Civilization on a console.

Microshock Oct 28th, 2009 07:03 PM

I only play the PC for few games. All of them Valve. I just hate installing shit, yes on the PS3 you install stuff but its all automated and you dont worry about it. And I hate updating drivers, or waiting for the Steam versions of games to get updates.

And now MW2 is basically the console version on the PC which is the dumbest shit ever since the benefit of playing on a PC is to have dedicated servers, and communities in those servers, plus mods.

Plus, everything is going digital and a year ago, i thought it was brilliant, until you realize its just a cesspool for your cash since everything you buy is technically worthless. People have huge gaming collections from the NES, Genesis, etc, and in 20 years, the collections will be licenses on your harddrive.

Tadao Oct 28th, 2009 07:14 PM

:rolleyes

MarioRPG Oct 28th, 2009 10:34 PM

The only thing I dislike about PC games is they, you know, rely on you having a decent PC.
I don't think I've run a game on my machine that was made after 2004.

Phoenix Gamma Oct 28th, 2009 10:35 PM

PC gaming's got some sick indie games, though. There's more room for creativity and distribution.

You won't find something like, say, Runman: Race Around the World on a console, let alone be able to name your own price (including $0).

Actually, consoles depress me, since almost everything is either a sequel, or something designed to start a franchise.

Zomboid Oct 29th, 2009 01:50 AM

Indie games are available on Xbox Live. My friends and I have found some cool ones already.

Guitar Woman Oct 29th, 2009 01:59 AM

Nethack is the best PC game. Every developer should just stop trying, because none of them are going to beat it.

Also I hate Valve and I'm not buying any more of their games.

Fathom Zero Oct 29th, 2009 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zomboid (Post 655741)
Indie games are available on Xbox Live. My friends and I have found some cool ones already.

You must admit that the ratio of the number of releases is skewed in the PC's favor, though.

XBL doesn't have Cave Story. Enough said.

Zomboid Oct 29th, 2009 03:16 AM

Well, yeah, obviously. I'm just saying that the games ARE there and that it's a step in the right direction. Given enough time, we'll be seeing more and more indie developers making games that show up on consoles.

Also, the devs that make games specifically for consoles tend to produce some gems every now and then; stuff like Castle Crashers, Mega Man 9, etc.

Fathom Zero Oct 29th, 2009 03:22 AM

They tend to have more polish, the games that are available on services. They cost money, after all.

But in regards to the topic, I don't think PC gaming will go anywhere so long as people still use them. Unless what a PC is considered changes. The PS3 is a glorified PC, but its features aren't quite there yet. I think the next generation will take even more marketshare as all the lines start to blur together.

Zomboid Oct 29th, 2009 03:32 AM

The problem is having to upgrade your system to play new games. The only time that's happened for consoles was the N64's expansion pack. I think you NEEDED that for like three games.

Chojin Oct 29th, 2009 03:47 AM

the CDI had an expensive 'digital video cartridge' too, and since philips is retarded and let like 9 different people make their system there are different versions of it that work on different systems

intellivision had a speech upgrade

SNES and N64 (memory upgrade and disc drive on the N64) had several hardware expansion ports, as did the PS1

a lot of old consoles did, actually, but they realized in time that that's part of the reason people play games on consoles and not PCs.

Pentegarn Oct 29th, 2009 07:25 AM

Sega Genesis was nothing but a cavalcade of hardware upgrades. The Sega CD, the 32X. Still, I loved Warsong and the Shining Force games so I forgive them.

I think PC games have some life left in them (The MMOs were a good example of this). Some games I don't want to play on consoles. FPS games as mentioned earlier stink on consoles, and I prefer the Diablo series on PC (the PSX port was a disaster in comparison)

Zomboid Oct 29th, 2009 12:24 PM

I'm talking about games that you needed the console equivalent of a new video card or more RAM to play. Add-ons like the Sega CD and the 32x weren't really the same thing as when you had to get the expansion pack to play Perfect Dark on your regular N64.

Tadao Oct 29th, 2009 01:50 PM

RTS games are way better on a keyboard and mouse.