I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philosophy, Politics, and News (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   To be more than human is to be human (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69700625)

ItalianStereotype Sep 19th, 2008 02:06 PM

To be more than human is to be human

So are there any transhumanists in the ranks? Not sure what a transhumanist is? EDUCATE YOURSELF

In order to be a transhumanist, one must accept the idea of the technological singularity. Basically, the singularity represents the point in technological advancement where there is nothing that humanity can do that AI cannot do for itself, including self-improvement. It's almost like Skynet. Acheiving this is an important evolutionary step for humanity, though it may seem difficult to understand why. Ultimately, this will change the course, but not the direction, of evolution.

A transhumanist desires above all else to be more than human. Only once we've reached the singularity will we really understand how to pursue this end. We've already begun dabbling in at our relatively primitive stage of advancement, but most of us don't realize it. Artificial organs, retinal implants, our constant connection to AI in one form or another, all of these and more represent a massive paradigm shift towards a posthuman culture. Eventually, we will be able to able to integrate technology and biology to the point where we can transcend the human condition and quite possibly overcome even involuntary death.

Sooooo, what's up, guys? How is your day going?

pac-man Sep 19th, 2008 02:08 PM

Fine and yours?

ItalianStereotype Sep 19th, 2008 02:10 PM

Oh, you know

pac-man Sep 19th, 2008 02:17 PM

So do you think Deckard was a replicant?

ItalianStereotype Sep 19th, 2008 02:18 PM

who D:

pac-man Sep 19th, 2008 02:22 PM

Deckard is Harrison Ford's character from Blade Runner. You gotta see it. I don't know jack about transhumanism, but there's an old guy who makes robots in the movie who says that his replicants are "more human than human."

pac-man Sep 19th, 2008 02:22 PM

Deckard is Harrison Ford's character from Blade Runner. You gotta see it. I don't know jack about transhumanism, but there's an old guy who makes robots in the movie who says that his replicants are "more human than human." Anyway, there's a decades old debate on whether or not Deckard was a person or a replicant.

pac-man Sep 19th, 2008 02:23 PM

Yeeesh.... sorry for the double post. I don't even know how the first one went through.

ItalianStereotype Sep 19th, 2008 02:24 PM

I never got around to seeing blade runner. MAN, what a douche D:

Dimnos Sep 19th, 2008 02:25 PM

Deckard was not a replicant just like Han solo shot first

Tadao Sep 19th, 2008 02:37 PM

It's too late to watch Blade Runner for the first time. You'll fall asleep in 15 minutes. You all have ADD by now.

pac-man Sep 19th, 2008 02:41 PM

That's not true.... some of us have ADHD!

ItalianStereotype Sep 19th, 2008 02:42 PM

transhumanism can fix that, you know

Grislygus Sep 19th, 2008 02:50 PM

Can it fix your unwillingness to watching Blade Runner >:

Grislygus Sep 19th, 2008 02:50 PM

And can it fix my apparently deplorable grammar

wobzire Sep 19th, 2008 03:31 PM

Wow! I am a transhumanist and I didn't even know it!

Guitar Woman Sep 19th, 2008 03:47 PM

What's with the Blade Runner references? This smacks of Ghost in the Shell more than anything.

VaporTrailx1 Sep 19th, 2008 03:49 PM

Just a personal rant...

Eliminate Suburbia.

No more damn suburbs! Suburbs are bullshit and wastes of space. Suburbs must either be annexed by their parent city and be planned in a compact urbanized block style or be bulldozed. Did you ever see how much space suburbs waste? Cities may pollute more, but at least the buildings are built right next to each other in orderly fashions.

Guitar Woman Sep 19th, 2008 03:52 PM

Portland is building all these self sufficient living complexes, now, with like, grocery stores, restaurants, convenience stores, office space, and apartments, all in the same building. The people living inside will, theoretically, all work there, buy groceries and other necessities from the stores there, and live in the apartments there.

It's cool sounding at first, but when I gave serious thought to this it's really unsettling. I'd rather have suburbs than another step towards dystopia.

pac-man Sep 19th, 2008 04:03 PM

One man's dystopia is another man's utopia.

Tadao Sep 19th, 2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitar Woman (Post 580370)
Portland is building all these self sufficient living complexes, now, with like, grocery stores, restaurants, convenience stores, office space, and apartments, all in the same building. The people living inside will, theoretically, all work there, buy groceries and other necessities from the stores there, and live in the apartments there.

It's cool sounding at first, but when I gave serious thought to this it's really unsettling. I'd rather have suburbs than another step towards dystopia.

People would have to send their children to another complex to stop inbreeding.

Guitar Woman Sep 19th, 2008 04:21 PM

If transhumanization is achieved we wouldn't be able to reproduce, seeing as a race of immortals shitting out kids all the time would cause a really annoying population problem.

So, we live forever, but don't make new ones. Hope nobody was planning on being reincarnated any time soon.

ItalianStereotype Sep 19th, 2008 04:22 PM

Vapor, I think this is a fascinating conversation and I'm glad you brought this up. Residential zoning is probably one of the best topics of conversation that we've ever had on this board and I'm HONORED that you decided to bring it to my thread. We should go to the Hadron Collider thread and talk about Santa Claus.

pac-man Sep 19th, 2008 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitar Woman (Post 580368)
What's with the Blade Runner references? This smacks of Ghost in the Shell more than anything.

Yeah, but Blade Runner is better than Ghost in the Shell.

wobzire Sep 19th, 2008 04:24 PM

Don't tempt him.