I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philosophy, Politics, and News (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   the Illuminati (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7169)

ItalianStereotype Nov 6th, 2003 01:45 AM

the Illuminati

If you know nothing of the Illuminati it is an incredibly secret society started in the 18th century by a man named Adam Weishaupt. It is a society devoted to a one-world dictatorship and it's leaders are confirmed Satanists. It has supposedly had a hand in engineering everything from Communism to the Congress of Vienna, Napoleon's rise to power, and both of the World Wars. so my question is, does anyone believe in them or know anything interesting about them?

Brandon Nov 6th, 2003 01:55 AM

It's been "linked" with the Freemasons, Yale University's Skull and Bones, and even a race of reptilian shape-shifters by conspiracy wackos.. oops, pardon me, I mean.. "theorists."

Smells like your average paranoid fantasy to me.

soundtest Nov 6th, 2003 03:34 AM

About a year ago I came across a website that claimed to be a messageboard for members. It had a FAQ on their mandate but to post or view the boards you had to pay a $10 membership or something. All I remember was that one of their goals was something regarding abolishing any kind of state assistance for the disabled, suggesting that it should be the family's responsibility to take care of them or they should be 'put down'. They also explicitly denied any sort of allegations about the organization being racist. I don't really know enough about them though. I have a friend who's into all that but I think it's a little too xfiles for me...

mburbank Nov 6th, 2003 09:42 AM

The illuminati have (or had) a historical existence. It's much clouded first by their own claims that the order dated back to ancient egypt (which it almost certainly did not) and by an excellent and histerical series of books by Robert A. Wilson, well worth reading and full of hostorical facts. HOWEVER, he quite deliberatly makes no distinction between facts and wild flights of fancy.

Their really was an Adam Wesihaupt. There really was a secret cell within the Masons who called themselves the Illuminati. It's HIGHLY unlikely Weishaupt murdered and replaced George Washington halfway through his career.

Moreover, many who have read and enjoyed the books adopted the philosipjhy of one splinter group within it, Discordians and joyfully spread missinformation for the fun of it.

ranxer Nov 6th, 2003 10:01 AM

any conspiracy labels attributed to creating a fascist world order.. er new american century enjoys all manner of fantasy fears to keep people barking up the wrong trees.

Zhukov Nov 6th, 2003 10:04 AM

Is it the illuminati that have their symbol as a pyramid with a floating eye above it? Or is that the Carlyle Group?

It is on a US dollar note, right?

mburbank Nov 6th, 2003 10:10 AM

That's a Masonic symbol. The innermost circle of the Masons may have been Illuminati at the time the dollar bill was drawn.

Of course, the Masons claim the eye and the pyramid are symbols which date back to their egyptian roots.

Both the Masons and the Illuminati were highly secretive and prone to deliberatly spreading lies about themsleves the beeter to keep their secrets. So parsing the truth about what their actual accomnplishments may have been is very hard.

El Blanco Nov 6th, 2003 11:26 AM

Quote:

histerical
Do you mean hysterical or historical, because, if it is the former, I may go get them.[/quote]

mburbank Nov 6th, 2003 11:58 AM

Hysterical. I've read and reread them many times. The three books were written by Robert Anton Wilson and anoter guy who's name I can't recall. Later books, nowhere near as good have been written by Wilson alone.

The books are, and I can't recall the order, the Eye in the Pyramid, Schroedinger's cat and... damn, I can't think of it. The'yve been published as a set under the name The Illuminatus Trilogy.

The One and Only... Nov 6th, 2003 06:42 PM

Illuminati is also a funny card game... eh, we'll just stop there.

The_Rorschach Nov 6th, 2003 09:01 PM

I was never overly interested in the illuminati. I have my hands full with the problems of the widow's son.

AChimp Nov 6th, 2003 11:07 PM

I think that the Illuminati exist(ed), but as for controlling the whole world... well... no.

Perndog Nov 6th, 2003 11:58 PM

The Illuminati are not and never were Satanists, thank you very much. We don't need to participate in spooky secret societies, we can do everything we need to out in the open.

Perndog Nov 7th, 2003 12:00 AM

My first double post ever! Hooray!

ItalianStereotype Nov 7th, 2003 01:36 AM

so you're claiming membership? even if you were a member of the Illuminati and not making a bid for attention, I doubt that you would even know. the grunts never do.

Perndog Nov 7th, 2003 02:57 PM

I'm claiming to be a Satanist, and the leaders of the Church of Satan have stated that they have no affiliation with the Illuminati. We (including our priesthood) tend to make fun of them and all the other mystery cults (Masons, Rosicrucians, etc.).

Anonymous Nov 7th, 2003 03:12 PM

Not that I'm questioning the mystery of the Masons, but they do have a temple in my town that is fairly easy to find. No hidden rock walls, no barriers of psychic force, no nothing.

Abcdxxxx Nov 8th, 2003 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perndog
I'm claiming to be a Satanist,

Cue the speed metal, the white tigers, and the naked ladies carrying boa constrictors.

Zhukov Nov 8th, 2003 06:41 AM

Satanists don't believe in satan, right?

James Nov 8th, 2003 09:54 AM

There is no Illuminati. Drop it.

El Blanco Nov 8th, 2003 02:04 PM

Thats exactly what one of their agents would say.

kellychaos Nov 8th, 2003 02:16 PM

:fingertonose ;)

James Nov 8th, 2003 07:35 PM

El Blanco told me to tell you all that he's going on vacation for a while. A long while.

There is no Illuminati. There is no F.N.O.R.D. There is no New World Order. We... Um, THEY do not have Hitler's brain cryogenically frozen. Partly because they do not exist. Drop it.

Perndog Nov 8th, 2003 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie
Not that I'm questioning the mystery of the Masons, but they do have a temple in my town that is fairly easy to find. No hidden rock walls, no barriers of psychic force, no nothing.

The mystery isn't usually in the existence of the cult or where they meet, it's the "mystical secrets" that the top dogs know and dole out in very small quantities.

Or the Mormons and their temples that are so special they won't allow non-Mormons in.

The Illuminati just happen to also be secretive as to their actual existence, which is about the only thing that separates them from Mormons in my mind.

Perndog Nov 8th, 2003 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhukov
Satanists don't believe in satan, right?

Short answer: no.