I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Spoiler Tags (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69698590)

King Hadas Jan 1st, 2008 01:52 PM

Spoiler Tags

I'm not sure if maybe we already have this and I'm just to much of a fool to realize it. If not I think it'd be a good idea to implement them, personally I don't enjoy feeling like I've been assigned a creative writing project every time I need to insert a spoiler warning.

Guitar Woman Jan 1st, 2008 04:01 PM

Second.

MarioRPG Jan 1st, 2008 04:26 PM

Are we talking the kind you click or the kind you highlight.
Woah flashback.

MLE Jan 1st, 2008 05:26 PM

I think there should be an expandable tag that you click it and it automatically opens up and puts in the rest of the text. Like:

This is what the tag would look like:
SPOILER whatever the person wants to describe the spoiler as (public knowledge stuff)

And then click it and it changes to:
SPOILER
text text text
text text text
text text text
text text text
text text text
text text text
text text text
text text text
SPOILER

Guitar Woman Jan 1st, 2008 05:57 PM

I like how 4chan does it, where the spoiler'd text is blacked out and only reveals it's SCANDALOUS SECRETS when you move your mouse over it.

MLE Jan 1st, 2008 06:05 PM

I don't like that version. I'm talking about almost like a livejournal cut type of thing.

MarioRPG Jan 1st, 2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLE (Post 517755)
I don't like that version. I'm talking about almost like a livejournal cut type of thing.

Ie, what I said (type you click).

The blacked out ones have compatibility issues for older internet explorers and several other browsers.

Guitar Woman Jan 1st, 2008 06:33 PM

I have no idea what that is

Guitar Woman Jan 1st, 2008 06:33 PM

The Livejournal thing, that is.

Also, why haven't you upgraded to 7 yet, it's gr8

Mockery Jan 1st, 2008 06:37 PM

How about we have another contest in the art forum for a "SPOILER ALERT" image. Nothing too huge or whatever, but whichever one we go with, I'll set it up as a :spoiler emoticon that we can use wherever we want.

Sound good?

MLE Jan 1st, 2008 06:54 PM

I think we need to have it so the spoiler isn't in text on the page until something is clicked, because some people do browse the site from sidekicks and other phones, and they don't have nearly the same compatibility. Maybe make it so instead of it saying spoiler, we can have an image, but I still think it really needs something clickable instead of just highlighting the text a different color.

King Hadas Jan 1st, 2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockery (Post 517766)
How about we have another contest in the art forum for a "SPOILER ALERT" image. Nothing too huge or whatever, but whichever one we go with, I'll set it up as a :spoiler emoticon that we can use wherever we want.

Sound good?

Do you mean an emoticon that just says Spoiler Warning, without actually covering up any text? That's not very useful to be honest.

executioneer Jan 1st, 2008 07:49 PM

:eek < SPOILERS

Emu Jan 1st, 2008 09:22 PM

I know that some forums have a spoiler cut where you just click a button and it shows you the cut text if you choose to see it.

I REMEMBER SUGGESTING THIS A YEAR AGO TOO

MarioRPG Jan 1st, 2008 09:23 PM

No, it's like a tag in forum code. We have it at another forum I frequent. You just type
Spoilers!

And you have to click on it to view it. Not an image.

MLE Jan 1st, 2008 10:47 PM

I think it would be handy to go the extra mile and have it create an image, that way it is easily recognizeable. It might have been an option on phpbb, but if it was, I never saw it used on here.

Cfr5 Jan 3rd, 2008 02:19 PM

Okay, here we go...

Looking up vBulletin spoiler tags, I found something that just may work. Here's the basic thingy:

Spoilers!

Help me test it!

This version of it is short and sweet. I'm not going to modify it aesthetically until I'm sure it works how you people want.

The tags are [spoiler=id]Spoiler content[/spoiler]. That "id" may have to be unique on EACH page in the forum, not just in each post. Please play around with it, don't yell about how it looks, simply see if it functions like the majority of you would like it to work.

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:21 PM

Spoilers!

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:22 PM

Spoilers!

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:23 PM

Spoilers!

Cfr5 Jan 3rd, 2008 02:23 PM

Yeah, it's going to need an id or clicking the button won't know what to show or hide.

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:24 PM

Spoilers!

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:25 PM

haha and using the same id it only opens the first one on the page when you click a button

you may be able to get away with only changing the tag if you post two spoilers or more in a page

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:25 PM

lets see

Fathom Zero Jan 3rd, 2008 02:25 PM

Spoilers!

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:26 PM

test

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:26 PM

Spoilers!

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:27 PM

yeah it looks like it just has to be unique on the page you're viewing

Mockery Jan 3rd, 2008 02:28 PM

Generally speaking there shouldn't be more than one spoiler on a page anyway, usually by the person who starts a thread. But yeah, you'll obviously want to still try giving your spoiler tags a unique name each time.

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:31 PM

ideally just use your username or something like that, and add a number after that if you post more than one

Spoilers!

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:32 PM

of course this adds the fun game of "try to guess someone's spoiler tag before they post it so that you block what they're trying to post from being seen altogether" but man that game is hard

Cfr5 Jan 3rd, 2008 02:36 PM

Multiple spoilers per page would work though, as long as the id is different for all the spoilers on one page. I would suggest just putting something like your username with a number tacked on the end for your own spoilers and then hope that nobody else is a jerk and uses your name and numbers as well.

If you do do this, keep in mind that some users may have a different posts-per-page amount than you do, so don't recycle ids for spoilers that would be close together in a thread.

Cfr5 Jan 3rd, 2008 02:36 PM

CURSE MY SLOW TYPING

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:39 PM

Spoilers!

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:40 PM

oh hey another possible thing: if you want to make a spoiler MEGA SECRET using the same code a second time will require someone to QUOTE IT to actually see what you wrote

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:43 PM

Spoilers!

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarioRPG (Post 517824)
No, it's like a tag in forum code. We have it at another forum I frequent. You just type
Spoilers!

And you have to click on it to view it. Not an image.

whoa what the heck mariorpg did it w/o using a id number

Spoilers!

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:46 PM

well i guess that works but again it only works one per page

Cfr5 Jan 3rd, 2008 02:48 PM

Or DOES it?

Spoilers!

Okay, you can only use a spoiler without an id once per post now.

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:50 PM

oh! fantastic :eek

Spoilers!

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:51 PM

does SECREAT LOCKDOWN MODE SPOILERS still work too

Spoilers!

Spoilers!

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:52 PM

awesome

Cfr5 Jan 3rd, 2008 02:55 PM

Yeah, I can't do much about ones with the same id... yet. Thanks for all the test-spamming, Code-Wheel, I didn't think the new tags would get fixed up this fast.

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 02:58 PM

man no problem, its like how i 'tested' the swear filter when they first switched to vbulletin ;(

Mockery Jan 3rd, 2008 03:07 PM

Spoilers!

executioneer Jan 3rd, 2008 04:58 PM

just out of curiosity could you muck up a similar tag for nsfw stuff? that way ppl could post it and you wouldn't have to navigate away to look @ a link or have the whole thread marked nsfw?

MarioRPG Jan 3rd, 2008 05:34 PM

Heh, sweet, using the same code I'm used to.

Mockery Jan 3rd, 2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Code-Wheel Jones (Post 518682)
just out of curiosity could you muck up a similar tag for nsfw stuff? that way ppl could post it and you wouldn't have to navigate away to look @ a link or have the whole thread marked nsfw?

I'd rather just keep the NSFW stuff off the forums period. We already saw how that went to hell in a handbasket when we allowed people to have one thread to get all that stuff out of their system. :x

Guitar Woman Jan 3rd, 2008 06:12 PM

Well, no, that was just Sevenforce.

Seven Force Jan 3rd, 2008 10:40 PM

You see more fucked up shit on that 4chan site you go to so dont even try it

MLE Jan 4th, 2008 12:31 AM

hey Cfr5, can you edit it so there's a large wide image instead? If so, I can just run a different design contest!

Esuohlim Jan 4th, 2008 12:48 AM

Spoilers!

Cfr5 Jan 6th, 2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLE (Post 518847)
hey Cfr5, can you edit it so there's a large wide image instead? If so, I can just run a different design contest!

Roger made the image that is used right now but it can be changed to whatever. I suppose another contest wouldn't hurt.

MLE Jan 6th, 2008 02:38 PM

Is the only image that's changeable the eye with the show/hide or is the entire thing that's initially visible changeable?

MLE Jan 6th, 2008 02:39 PM

if it's just the eye with the show and hide, I think that'll do just fine by itself, but if we can make a large spoilers image that's the width of it, it would be nice

Cfr5 Jan 6th, 2008 02:49 PM

The whole thing can be customized. I just initially copied it from that internet place and it worked so I left it.

MLE Jan 6th, 2008 03:17 PM

aha ;o How wide would you recommend? 500 px so there's no issue on any monitor?

Cfr5 Jan 6th, 2008 04:41 PM

Sure, give it a try. If people don't complain when it's changed you're good to go.

MLE Jan 6th, 2008 11:13 PM

Alrighty!