I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Roast of Denis Leary on Comedy Central (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4954)

Mockery Jul 31st, 2003 02:17 PM

Roast of Denis Leary on Comedy Central

Are any of you gonna be watching this thing? Besides that I've always loved Leary's comedy, Conan O'Brien, Michael J. Fox, and Christopher Walken are going to be on it apparently along with a bunch of other people. I'm definitely looking forward to this one...

El Blanco Jul 31st, 2003 02:31 PM

I've seen Adam Ferrara and Jim Bruer perform so I am really excited about it.

The other good thing is that most of the people are actually his friends so, unlike chevy Chase, it will actually be funny with many different stories.

When do Steve Martin and Bill Murray get roasted?

whoreable Jul 31st, 2003 02:46 PM

I dont really like dennis leary. but i am sure i will indeed be watching.

timrpgland Jul 31st, 2003 03:57 PM

I like Denis and will be watching this. Should be good.

James Jul 31st, 2003 04:48 PM

Denis Leary can drink my ball sweat. He's not funny at all. If they want to roast a whiny little bitch who hates everything, they can roast me. I've done more to deserve it than him.

All the Comedy Central roasts have been pointless. The Drew Carey and Rob Reiner ones were funny, but the rest were shit. I swear they just pull a name out of a hat, and roast the person.

Next year: The roast of Seth Green.

And I feel bad for Walken, having to make fun of some little unfunny shit like Leary. HE should be the one getting roasted, for fuck's sake.

Mockery Jul 31st, 2003 05:05 PM

Thanks for sharing James, now stfu. Leary's CD's are extremely funny, especially Lock 'n Load.

El Blanco Jul 31st, 2003 05:24 PM

Whenever I here No Cure For Cancer and how he goes off on his dad being an Irish immagrant and using electrical tape as a bandage, I swear he's talking about my dad. Even my mom dies laughing at it.

KILLADEUCE Jul 31st, 2003 05:33 PM

LEary Roasted by WALKEN Oh i gotta see that.... Personally i actually liked Leary's stand-up...

Any word on when this airs?

Esuohlim Jul 31st, 2003 05:47 PM

I actually am looking forward to this R*@$T (if they're even calling it that anymore). Mainly because I like Denis Leary and I actually know pretty much everyone there. The Chevy Chase roast was awful. Not only was it not funny, but I only knew three or four people there that were roasting him.

But I liked the Rob Reiner one. And I think Denis Leary is hilarious, so I'm expecting a good roast. :/

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLADEUCE
Any word on when this airs?

August 10th at 10:00 EST, I believe.

James Jul 31st, 2003 06:04 PM

I don't know. I just don't like the guy. I'm sure some people love his observational humor ("I HATE THIS! HAHA I'M AN ASSHOLE! LAUGH!"), but I don't.

And even if I did, I couldn't justify him getting a roast. WALKEN BEFORE LEARY. >:

El Blanco Jul 31st, 2003 06:10 PM

He did more than observational humor. Asshole is a great song. You have no clue about comedy.

Go jerk off to Bill Hicks and pretend he was edgy.

Royal Tenenbaum Jul 31st, 2003 06:11 PM

Dennis Leary is the shit. I'm sure if they actually showed this in Canada I'd watch it. :(

Schimid Jul 31st, 2003 06:33 PM

I feel the same as James.

Has George Carlin ever been roasted? :/

El Blanco Jul 31st, 2003 07:38 PM

I don't think Carlin would want to go. Unless 1-800-COLLECT was sponsoring it. *hack*cough*sellout*hack*cough*

crash0814 Jul 31st, 2003 08:22 PM

For a man who hates advertising so much, Carlin doesn't seem at all ashamed to jump on board. I was extremely disappointed when I saw those commercials because I love George Carlin. I still like him, but I lost a lot of respect for him when I saw that.

As for Leary, I think he's fucking hilarious. I can't wait to see him get roasted, and when he gets the chance to shoot back...it's not gonna be pretty.

Jixby Phillips Jul 31st, 2003 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Blanco
I don't think Carlin would want to go. Unless 1-800-COLLECT was sponsoring it. *hack*cough*sellout*hack*cough*

How about Penzoil?

whoreable Jul 31st, 2003 09:05 PM

haha. And what happened to that pos fake reality show he was hosting?

Mockery Jul 31st, 2003 09:22 PM

Quote:

He did more than observational humor. Asshole is a great song. You have no clue about comedy.

Go jerk off to Bill Hicks and pretend he was edgy.

1) He's definitely MUCH more than just observational humor. Sounds like James just hasn't heard much of Leary's material, but whatever...

2) Bill Hicks was awesome, don't diss the man. He's easily in the same class as Leary.

El Blanco Jul 31st, 2003 09:38 PM

I liked Hicks, but he pissed me off when he accused Leary of ripping him off. Did he not think we knew how much he took from Carlin?

The only difference between Hicks and Carlin is that Hicks had the career sense to die young.

KILLADEUCE Jul 31st, 2003 09:56 PM

I agree it's easy to compare 3, but i feel they're styles differ enough to keep them all original-

It's funny you mention carlin's Tv commercials, one of his latter Hbo specials hgad him make a little joke about it, i thought it was hilarious.

On the note of hicks, it's sad he did die young, he really had an eloquence that really got me laughing my ass off..

Mockery Jul 31st, 2003 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLADEUCE
I agree it's easy to compare 3, but i feel they're styles differ enough to keep them all original-

Yep, exactly. Plus Hicks was being his usual sarcastic self when he said that, he didn't just go "Denis Leary ripped me off, that asshole!" He was much cooler than that. Much like Jesus, Bill Hicks was cool... it's his fans that were all too often the assholes.

El Blanco Jul 31st, 2003 10:47 PM

I thought that was Elvis.

James Jul 31st, 2003 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jixby Phillips
Quote:

How about Penzoil?

ZING! :lol

The things I've heard from Denis just seem more like bitching, than comedy. Besides, I'm still mad at him for making fun of Jim Henson.

And even if I found him to be the funniest man ever, I still say they're picking out Roastees by random drawing.

Mockery Jul 31st, 2003 11:51 PM

Not this time, they're picking people that are all friends/associates of his in some way or another. That's why it's gonna be great.

From the latest commercial for it:

Denis Leary: "Conan O'Brien. You know what was funny about his show? Andy Richter." :lol

This should be damned good.

El Blanco Aug 1st, 2003 12:43 AM

The Penzoil commentisn't so much of a zing because Leary never went verbally postal on giant corporations. He never tried to build himself as a disgruntled hippy.

Isn't Conan O'Brien Leary's cousin?

I wonder if Triumph will be there.