I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Weekly Movie Review: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69698920)

MockBot Jan 28th, 2008 12:56 PM

Weekly Movie Review: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Movie Review: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

JJ the Jetplane Jan 28th, 2008 04:20 PM

WOOT!!! first comment

This movie sounded pretty good when i heard about it... never got around to watching it though

GRUMPYNZ Jan 28th, 2008 04:29 PM

I'm probably going to be the only one to say this, but i think Johnny Depp is overrated. I liked him better pre-Pirates, when he wasn't such a huge star.

Tadao Jan 28th, 2008 05:42 PM

My parents got tickets to this play when I was about 8 years old. We had no idea what it was about as my dads boss sprang the tickets on him. So as a family, we went. I remember my mom reading the words on the play bill "the demon barber of fleet street" aloud in wonder as the lights dimmed and the curtain raised. I still am afraid to go anywhere near this movie. If you want true horror, this is your story.

Ashmodai Jan 28th, 2008 06:09 PM

I agree. This movie was definitely not the best musical Depp's done.

Mockery Jan 28th, 2008 06:14 PM

Let us never forget that Freddy Krueger slashed up Johnny Depp with his blades long before Sweeney Todd set up shop.

Tetsu Deinonychus Jan 28th, 2008 08:31 PM

I LOVED THIS MOVIE!

Seriously, this is the best movie I've actually seen in theaters, since Pan's Labyrinth.

Anyway, I also recommend the Broadway cast recording that Max mentioned. The music is even great (and twisted) on it's own.

whoareyou Jan 28th, 2008 08:39 PM

I love the show and I really want to see this movie but the only place it's playing is 10 bucks for a matinee (I usually pay 8 for night tickets). I got the cd and was disappointed, not by the singing which was good but by the lack of songs, he cut Little Priest in half and that's a shame.

Nktalloth Jan 29th, 2008 12:05 AM

I actually have Sweeny Todd on film. Not this one, but rather a broadway production of it. Lady Angela Lansbury is Mrs. Lovette, and George Hearn (Don't worry, I don't know him either.) is Sweeny...

Good stuff.

Spruce Moose Jan 29th, 2008 12:43 AM

It's like a musical Texas Chainsaw massacre! And it's every bit as good as it sounds. I enjoyed it mightily.

Protoclown Jan 29th, 2008 12:43 AM

Okay, so some of my friends think I'm weird for this, but am I alone in thinking that Helena Bonham Carter looked HOT AS FUCK in this movie?

i like crazy hair

Pub Lover Jan 29th, 2008 01:04 AM

You're not alone, Proto. ;(

Emu Jan 29th, 2008 12:07 PM

I didn't like the movie but the play seems like it would be better :o

some girl named lauren Jan 29th, 2008 01:18 PM

I've seen and heard my fair share and it seems to me that many Broadway musicals could only be improved with the Tim Burton treatment.

Jaimas Jan 29th, 2008 03:17 PM

Nay, Proto. It's not just you.

Undead Overlord Jan 29th, 2008 04:00 PM

I haven't had the time to see the movie yet, but serial killings AND cannibalism? I haven't been this excited scince "Silence of the Lambs"!

Captain PirateFace Jan 29th, 2008 08:40 PM

I wanted to like this movie but just felt let down.
They should do an Edward Scissor hands horror film.

stevetothepast Jan 30th, 2008 06:10 AM

I loved Johnny pre-pirate movies, they really ruined him in my books, but I still turn out to very movie he puts out like a damn hamster going back to his water pump, as well I have nothing bad to say about Tim Burton, but some of his work is very average, Corpse Bride for one, C and the C factory another, just not as big of a fan as I once was of this dynamic duo I fear

Nick Jan 30th, 2008 04:01 PM

Tim Burton will never be able to top Edward Scissorhands. It had Vincent Price.

incognit000 Jan 30th, 2008 04:02 PM

I didn't get into this, but I think that's more because I'm not a Burton fan. I've seen other Sweeney interpretations (I even got to see a Sweeney live performance once) and I think that Depp did a good job here, but I think they could have done better overall.

I think Burton's problem is that no one is willing to tell him "no" or otherwise correct him when it comes to story, scene and setting. A lot of big name directors have this problem these days, and what with no one to point out they need to change or re-do something so that it's their best work, we end up with a lot of less-than-optimal things.

mburbank Jan 30th, 2008 04:22 PM

I'm still down with Johnny D. As for Burton, I generally like him but he's not infallable. I thought 'Sweeney' was a great outing, but I thought Charley was spotty. There were parts I really liked, but I thought the ending was forced and horrible.

Kilgore Cod Jan 30th, 2008 08:10 PM

I saw this just because of Depp. There was only one instance during the whole movie where I thought "hey! this is the Jack Sparrow guy!"

Plus there's a whole song that's in favor of cannibalism. You don't see that alot these days in Hollywood.

I particularly liked the ending alot.

KatieLovesThe80's Jan 31st, 2008 04:47 PM

i am so mad because our stupid redneck town won't get it for our theater

Akktri Feb 26th, 2009 05:04 PM

"I agree. This movie was definitely not the best musical Depp's done."

Understatement of the year. This is a movie I can only tolerate with the sound off.

narcolepticsloth Aug 31st, 2010 08:26 PM

Nick, you need to see Ed Wood. that is Tim Burton's best film hands down.