I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Weekly Movie Review: Beetlejuice (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69701585)

MockBot Feb 4th, 2009 12:28 PM

Weekly Movie Review: Beetlejuice

Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Movie Review: Beetlejuice.

Doctor_Who Feb 4th, 2009 12:37 PM

I loved this film when I was little. The cartoon series was also pretty freaking sweet, and much darker than most of the stuff on TV at the time.

And yeah, I can see how that sequel would have been a pretty bad idea.

bountyhunterseven Feb 4th, 2009 04:34 PM

This was probably the first "DARK" comedy i has ever seen. It was disturbing and entertaining at the same time. im torn about a sequel...would love to have seen it, but glad they didnt.

Tadao Feb 4th, 2009 04:53 PM

I know what you mean about the "something missing". Maybe it's that now a days it feels more family friendly and it's just not as creepy as it once was.

s0n1c m0nk3y Feb 4th, 2009 07:03 PM

There was an existing sequel to Christmas Vacation where cousin Eddy goes to a tropical island. I'm sure you know of this, but I just had to point it out...

Purple Man Feb 4th, 2009 08:04 PM

All the "afterworld" scenes make this movie. Personal fave : the shrunken head guy.

TuxKamen Feb 5th, 2009 01:17 AM

From what I understand, the original script had alot less Betelgeuse (one or two scenes, I think) and was called "Meet the Maitlands". When Keaton proved popular in the role, they beefed it up for him. As for sequels, I know that it was one that's been tossed around for a while (along with Goonies). And Mr. m0nk3y, I've seen Christmas Vacation 2 and thought it was pretty funny, anything with Randy Quaid gets a good vote from me.

SunnyD Feb 5th, 2009 11:53 AM

When I was a really little girl (at least 5 if not younger) this movie was my most favorite thing ever. and I watched that cartoon every day. Heck, I made my relatives call me "beetlejuice" instead. and one christmas, they gave me a beetlejuice toy where he's in that carousal form from the end of the movie with the giant mallot hands and it was the greatest thing ever.

HowardC Feb 5th, 2009 04:02 PM

I've gotta disagree with the final score on this one. Should be a full 5/5. That feeling of "something missing" has been mis-interpreted and I can understand why as it rarely ever happens with a popular film. What is missing is more movie! In other words the film is so engaging you are left wanting more, which is the exact way a good film is supposed to make you feel.

10,000 Volt Ghost Feb 6th, 2009 07:47 PM

Great movie. I've read up on "Goes Hawaiian" before. It sounded not so promising.

Mister Tea Feb 7th, 2009 02:31 AM

SunnyD: Oh, shit yes! I thought I was the only one who remembered the Beetlejuice toy line!

Rufus the Perturbed Feb 7th, 2009 03:40 AM

This is still one of my favorite movies. Unfortunately, the only toys I could ever find when I was little were Shrunken-Head Beetlejuice and Adam Maitland. :( Who the hell would pick a decapitated Alec Baldwin figure over a guy with a shrunken, spinning head? Wait a minute, decapitating Alec Baldwin sounds pretty good all of a sudden...

Nick Feb 7th, 2009 01:42 PM

Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian would be hilarious. In a bad way.

Riot.EXE Feb 8th, 2009 06:03 PM

I remember there were a couple Beetlejuice video games as well...one based on the movie, another based on the cartoon. The former sucked, never played the latter...

I still need to buy this damn movie though...

blacksamster Feb 9th, 2009 03:00 AM

Oh man!! I loved this so much when I was young (and now as well!). I, too, had a shrunken head Betelgeuse, and watched the awesome cartoon show. And I have a vague memory of singing "Beetle-juice is gonna get you!" to my little brother?

Danny 4 Eyes Oct 17th, 2010 02:05 PM

I absolutely love this film, I pretty much love most Tim Burton stuff.

Shadowdancer21b Oct 17th, 2010 08:25 PM

Good thing about the animated series was that (SHOCK) Tim Burton wrote several episodes!