I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sports & Health (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   World Cup Football (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69704765)

Colonel Flagg Jun 7th, 2010 09:41 PM

World Cup Football

Or Soccer as those of us unwashed heathens refer to it over here, across the pond. Since the teams are presently congregating in lovely South Africa, it's probably time for us to start handicapping the chances for our favorite country to advance to the round of 16.

I like the USA's chances to make it out of group play, but I can't see them advancing past the round of 8. They just don't have enough depth. A quarterfinal finish would be an excellent result, though still unsatisfying.

Personally, I'd almost be happy with any result except Brazil winning it all. My apologies to any Brazilians I've offended. :(

10,000 Volt Ghost Jun 8th, 2010 05:42 PM

I was gonna say Brazil is going to win. I haven't followed much Soccer lately but I can always count on the Brazils.

10,000 Volt Ghost Jun 10th, 2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

This is the first World Cup that does not include any teams that are qualifying for the first time, although two of the qualifiers (Slovakia and Serbia) have previously appeared only as parts of former competing nations. Slovakia was previously part of Czechoslovakia, and Serbia has competed as part of Yugoslavia and Serbia and Montenegro. In both cases FIFA considers these teams to have retained the earlier nations' records.
That part is kind of interesting.

Colonel Flagg Jun 10th, 2010 05:02 PM

I'm interested to see how the team from DPRK does - they're considered a wild card in their group for the simple reason that no one seems to know what to expect. My guess is that they don't have a whole lot of international competitive experience, which can be both a benefit and a detriment.

Maybe their uniforms will have great big pictures of "dear leader" on them. :\

RaNkeri Jun 11th, 2010 04:28 PM

Rooting for Italy, like always.

Wouldn't mind Germany winning, although it is unlikely.

If i'd have to pick a clear favorite it's either Brazil(team Canada of football), or Spain, who had a magnificent run in 2008 UEFA Euro.

RaNkeri Jun 12th, 2010 03:18 PM

:eek , :x & :lol @ Robert Green

Colonel Flagg Jun 12th, 2010 08:15 PM

^^^ Wow. Just Wow.

He'd better hide. :\

RaNkeri Jun 13th, 2010 02:00 PM

Germany VS. Australia starting now!

This should be great :eek

RaNkeri Jun 13th, 2010 03:17 PM

Best football in the tournament so far, god damn

RaNkeri Jun 13th, 2010 04:25 PM

Great game by Germany. Australia's defence sucked, but if Germany keeps up with this kind of play they should also do well against tougher opponents

Colonel Flagg Jun 13th, 2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaNkeri (Post 689091)
Best football in the tournament so far, god damn

Actually I thought that was embarassing. Australia should be ashamed. :(

RaNkeri Jun 13th, 2010 11:41 PM

I was mostly referring to Germany, although Australia did play well momentarily during the 1st half.

Colonel Flagg Jun 14th, 2010 09:18 AM

^^^ Don't blink, you'll miss it.

I'm looking forward to the DPRK-Brazil match on Tuesday. I wonder how Yonhap is going to spin the pasting they're likely to receive.

Maybe "Dear Leader" will have the entire team shot.

RaNkeri Jun 14th, 2010 09:53 AM

Easy 2-0 victory for Holland over Denmark

RaNkeri Jun 14th, 2010 01:58 PM

Italy vs. Paraguay starting soon! Shit could get interesting.

Forza Italia :rock

RaNkeri Jun 14th, 2010 04:30 PM

Good game

Colonel Flagg Jun 14th, 2010 08:08 PM

I think we may be the only two interested. :(

Colonel Flagg Jun 14th, 2010 08:10 PM

Japan upsets Cameroon. Who saw that coming?

Colonel Flagg Jun 15th, 2010 04:32 AM

New Zealand vs Slovakia this AM (EDT that is) - Where's that rascal Pub? :confused

Colonel Flagg Jun 15th, 2010 11:50 AM

NZ ties it in the 3rd minute of extra time to earn a point against Slovakia.

You Go Kiwis! :rock

Colonel Flagg Jun 15th, 2010 09:31 PM

2-1 DPRK goes down to defeat against Brazil. The coach was undoubtedly pleased that they scored in the final minute of regulation so they could make it look closer than it really was. Probably bought him his life. :\

This should be the schizophrenia thread - I'm talking to myself. :(

RaNkeri Jun 16th, 2010 11:53 AM

Spain 0 - 1 Switzerland

God damn

Fathom Zero Jun 16th, 2010 12:00 PM

I didn't expect that.

Colonel Flagg Jun 16th, 2010 12:26 PM

Jeez. Spain is one of the best teams in the world. To get beaten by the Swiss is soccer's equivalent of the Miracle on Ice.

Well, not so much - the Swiss have a good team. Just not in Spain's league.

With group play, Spain can advance with a stinker of a match on their record. The only thing is they have no more margin for error. They'd better come out firing in their next match against Honduras.

RaNkeri Jun 16th, 2010 01:22 PM

Well, Spain is notorious for being a long time World Cup underachiever