I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Board games (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69700955)

Pentegarn Feb 18th, 2012 11:27 AM

So I got to play Bang!. I am a big fan of the secret roll war kind of games like Shadow Hunters (with the exception of Battlestar Galactica). This game delivers, and I love the "he just banged him" jokes that kept happening.

If you can get 5-7 people together I say give this one a try. Not very complicated but pretty fun.

OxBlood Feb 18th, 2012 06:31 PM

Interesting coincidence, I just bought Bang! a few days ago on a hunch. Havenīt played it yet but it appears to be really good :)

Fathom Zero Feb 18th, 2012 07:03 PM

Picked up Citadels upon many recommendations and I've yet to play it. Might get a few people over tonight - looks likea ton of low stakes fun.

Pentegarn Feb 19th, 2012 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 755113)
Picked up Citadels upon many recommendations and I've yet to play it. Might get a few people over tonight - looks likea ton of low stakes fun.

Good choice. Better the closer to 7 players you get, but fun and functional even with just 2

kahljorn Feb 23rd, 2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 754851)
I'm trying to major in games and game design, specifically board games.

Multi-disciplinary studies - that sort of thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Study-Games-El.../dp/0898740452

Anyone know any other books that would be helpful?

dungeons and dragons rule book?

King Hadas Feb 23rd, 2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 754851)
I'm trying to major in games and game design, specifically board games.

Multi-disciplinary studies - that sort of thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Study-Games-El.../dp/0898740452

Anyone know any other books that would be helpful?

Have you read Playing to Win? Although it's written with video games in mind (specifically Street Fighter) the concepts apply to board games or any games really. Here's the initial article that was later expanded into the book.

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playi...in-part-1.html

The full book is also on that site and it's free to read.

Fathom Zero Feb 24th, 2012 12:23 PM

The internet's where most of this stuff's at now, anyways, so I've read scads of game design articles. Haven't read that, though. I'll look into it a bit later. But it's not just board games - video games are as applicable.

And a D&D rulebook would probably be worth getting, honestly.

kahljorn Feb 24th, 2012 05:10 PM

maybe you can get some gay history of dungeons and dragons thing so you can see the balance issues and game mechanics bullshit they discussed if there is such a thing.

Pentegarn Mar 5th, 2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 754875)
There's a few good "x best board games of all time" books worth looking into. But to get really into how to design a great game you have to learn what works by playing them. Watching the trends is a good thing too. Like right now the co-op games and deckbuilders are scoring huge. Going to both Gen-Con and Origins is a must as well. You can talk to a lot of game developers there and see the nuts and bolts of how it all comes together if you find the right peeps to talk to. Demo anything and everything, not just to see what works, but to see what does not so you don't repeat the mistakes of a poor game design with a pretty finish,

So the other day I was helping a member of the board game club I am in play test a very alpha stage game he made. He wanted to make a space like version of Bang! Long story short he clearly failed to proofread a lot of his cards and some mechanics were missing entirely (like equippable weapon cards) whoch got us stuck in an infinite loop where we could not attack each other.

I bring this up to add yet another piece of advice to the list above. Proofread what you make. It may not seem like much but missing one key component can wreck your game.

Fathom Zero Mar 6th, 2012 12:41 AM

Play-testing also works for that, as evidenced. :lol

Pentegarn Mar 6th, 2012 12:45 AM

I felt bad for the guy it was a rather catastrophic first go, even for a first go

Dr. Boogie Mar 6th, 2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 755772)
So the other day I was helping a member of the board game club I am in play test a very alpha stage game he made.

:\

Pentegarn Mar 9th, 2012 11:05 AM

Yeah fun was not on the menu that day

Fathom Zero Mar 18th, 2012 02:34 AM

Played in last week's and this week's Pokemon championships.

I hate metas.

OxBlood Mar 30th, 2012 06:57 AM

Not much time right now, but three new games on the shelf, Kingsburg, Rex - final days of an empire and A few acres of snow, the new Wallace game, more on the last two in a while :)

Pentegarn Mar 30th, 2012 09:21 AM

A few acres of snow was just reviewed on the Shut Up Sit Down show. I am going to be getting it soon.

Kingsburg is a great purchase, I recommend it to everyone

OxBlood Mar 31st, 2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 756804)
A few acres of snow was just reviewed on the Shut Up Sit Down show. I am going to be getting it soon.

Exactly the reason why I got it, Quinns and Paul have a way of being a great indicator whether a game is fun or not :)

And even though their representation of the game is not all that accurate, the atomsphere is spot-on. I´ve of course yet to play it with another person but the game is so easy, yet very elegant in it´s design, I´d say almost anyone can play it and have a lot of fun.

Both factions have about the same options but different strenghts. While the English have the superior sea-force and easier troop recruitment, the French are sneaky, great at raiding unfortified english outposts and traversing the inland terrain with ease.

The two-actions-per-turn mechanic gives the players a lot of options but also forces them to think tactically AND strategically since you can play cards into your reserve for later use (though those cards can be vulnerable to enemy ambushes. I think it the English player would not like it at all if he was to start a big Siege for Port royal or maybe Quebec and the French just wastes his Siege Cannons with a single Sapper :D

As you can see, I really really like what I´m seeing in this game. It´s really fast too, I can imagine games of around 40mins as soon as both players know their way around the game :)

Oh and they even included french and german manuals and info-sheets, very nice of them.

Pentegarn Mar 31st, 2012 12:25 PM

So the GF and I tried out a game called Feudo. It is a 13th century British conquest game. I had hoped for a bit less combat and a bit more politics in it, but it was pretty much all conquest. Kind of felt like Smallworld without the troop loss for occupying places.

Essentially you have 3 Knights, 2 Mercenaries, 2 Infantry, 1 Baron, 1 Milady, and 1 First Knight who have various power scores and you have them scurry about the board in an effort to collect victory points which are gained by conquering cities or defeating other players soldiers in the combat phase. There are a couple minor factors to worry about like Barons can stack an additional unit on them for more power in a single space, or First Knights being the strongest single unit but not being allowed to stack, or Miladys who can render opposing Barons useless by using the enamored ability. There is a plague running rampant throughout the kingdom as well and if a unit gets the plague (which happens a lot) they will become weaker (except the Milady, who turns into a disease spreading whore). The winner is the person with the most victory points after 10 turns.

10,000 Volt Ghost Mar 31st, 2012 02:11 PM

More games need a Milady.

Pentegarn Apr 1st, 2012 11:57 PM

Got Eminent Domain from GF for my birfday. I did not realize it can be played 2 players until today

10,000 Volt Ghost Apr 2nd, 2012 12:00 AM

:lol

kahljorn Apr 2nd, 2012 03:01 AM

did you enseminate in her domain afterwards

Pentegarn Apr 2nd, 2012 10:04 AM

Does a bear shit in the woods?

kahljorn Apr 4th, 2012 03:00 AM

not the charmin' bear

Pentegarn Apr 5th, 2012 01:39 AM

That's the bear, I said a bear :p