I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Day of the Dead (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69699377)

J. Tithonus Pednaud Mar 28th, 2008 06:56 PM

Day of the Dead

I had the opportunity to see an advance screening of Day of the Dead. For anyone looking forward to seeing it, do not get you hopes up. I was, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the dumbest zombie movie in the history of cinema. This coming from a person who has seen a hell of a lot of bargain basement zombie productions.

It was just insulting on every possible level and dumber than dirt.

I'm not going to go into specifics or spoilers, I'll wait at least until it is available to the general public, but...wow....be forewarned.

Fathom Zero Mar 28th, 2008 07:01 PM

But Nick Cannon is attached!

Zomboid Mar 28th, 2008 07:06 PM

This was the remake of day of the dead?

J. Tithonus Pednaud Mar 28th, 2008 10:55 PM

Ya, barely. A few things are slightly lifted. There are army guys, an underground bunker and a zombie named Bud. But I'm not judging it on that fact alone. As a remake it failed. As a zombie movie - epic fail!

darkvare Mar 29th, 2008 02:38 AM

so is day of the dead but crappy?

executioneer Mar 29th, 2008 04:17 AM

yes, it is butt crappy

Mockery Mar 29th, 2008 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Tithonus Pednaud (Post 543128)
It was, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the dumbest zombie movie in the history of cinema.

ABSOLUTELY.

I actually saw this early last year and we were ranting the entire time. There's a goddamned Spider-Man zombie crawling on the fucking walls. It was so awful and doesn't deserve a theatrical release, let alone a video one.

AVOID.

Zomboid Mar 29th, 2008 05:13 AM

So when can we expect a "Greatest Horror Movie Moments" article for this one? :lol

edit: Does anyone have a list of all the horror movies they'd remade in the past decade or so? I remember seeing one awhile ago and being disgusted at how many there were and the fact that about 95% of them were total shit.

Blaster Atoms Mar 29th, 2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockery (Post 543239)
I actually saw this early last year and we were ranting the entire time. There's a goddamned Spider-Man zombie crawling on the fucking walls.

Wait, that sounds more hilarious than awful.

WhiteRat Mar 29th, 2008 02:46 PM

Was it just a zombie that was crawling around or are we talking about a zombie that was once spiderman?

J. Tithonus Pednaud Mar 29th, 2008 02:51 PM

You mean, like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeCrld6n8N0

Misdemonar Mar 29th, 2008 04:06 PM

that was fucking awesome

Kitsa Mar 29th, 2008 09:12 PM

lol

I loved the remake of Dawn of the Dead (then again, that was my favorite of the original series...that damn nurse zombie was everywhere). It lured me into believing that Land of the Dead might be okay. Bah, ptooey. Awful. At least I thought so.

I loved the innovation of fast zombies that happened around that time. 28 Days Later was getting there (but with too much sped-up shakycam), but DOTD absolutely nailed it. I went into Land of the Dead expecting more of the same, but they were all shambling along. What the hell happened? Did their zombie-crack wear off?

If this is more shufflers, I want no part of it.

Zomboid Mar 29th, 2008 09:38 PM

Um.. Romero = classic zombies. Those are the best ones. I'm not gonna get into this argument though.

Fathom Zero Mar 29th, 2008 09:50 PM

28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later was just a bunch of crazy people. They weren't zombies and could starve to death.

Kitsa Mar 29th, 2008 10:32 PM

Zomboid: I know that they weren't proper zombies. Classic Romero zombies are shamblers, and classic Savini blood looks like watered-down pink pudding, and that's just how it is. It's its own thing. You can swirl it in your snifter and breathe in the bouquet, and that's fine, but a changeup every once in a while can be interesting.

I'm saying, I liked the novelty of fast zombies. If we're gonna go with the "virus" theory...and didn't The Zombie Survival Guide go for "Solanum", even with the shamblers?...it might as well be a turbo Rabies variety every once in a while. It was entertaining. I particularly liked in the "neighborhood overrun" scene at the beginning of the Dawn remake when that one unsuspecting extra got sacked by a running zombie.

Fathom Zero: 28 Days later had its flaws (red contacts equals infected, we get it) , and I thought 28 Weeks Later was outright shit.

J. Tithonus Pednaud Mar 29th, 2008 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsa (Post 543353)
I went into Land of the Dead expecting more of the same, but they were all shambling along. What the hell happened? Did their zombie-crack wear off?

The remakes do not take place within the Romero Universe, that's why. Like Return and those spin-offs.

I don't like the fast zombies. I like my zombies as reanimated dead, not virus-stricken crazies.

Sam Mar 30th, 2008 08:04 PM

I read this thread last night and for some reason thought it was about "Diary of the Dead" and I got confused. :(

Dr. Octogonopus Mar 30th, 2008 10:28 PM

I keep thinking this is about Diary of the Dead too. I didn't even hear about this remake.

Girl Drink Drunk Mar 30th, 2008 11:05 PM

I thought the idea of running zombies was pretty scary, but the remake of Dawn of the Dead was pretty "blaaaaaah" compared to the original, and the concept wasn't enough for the film to live up to the original. I just wanna say that none of these remakes of Romero's "Dead" films were neccesary.

Dr. Octogonopus Mar 30th, 2008 11:26 PM

Running zombies is more of a OH SHIT WHAT THE FU- and then you die kind of scary. The hordes of slow, mindless zombies are more of a psychological fear, because they never stop, and you have time to stop and realize this. Fast zombies kill you too quickly.

Blaster Atoms Mar 31st, 2008 04:55 AM

Wait, didn't Romero actually do the remakes? I'd think that would make them his universe too...

Dr. Octogonopus Mar 31st, 2008 08:53 AM

Maybe he just wanted a change of pace, or was just putzing around with new ideas to see what would happen.

Girl Drink Drunk Mar 31st, 2008 10:16 AM

Romero was not involved with the remakes.

Zomboid Mar 31st, 2008 04:28 PM

I think he might've been a producer on Savini's remake of Night of the Living Dead in the early 90s, but yeah, that's about it.

Speaking of which, I didn't mind that one because it was made by someone who knows Romero pretty well and overall he stayed pretty faithful to the original. It wasn't the greatest, but it was enjoyable.