I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Weekly Movie Review: Star Trek III: The Search For Spock (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69702004)

MockBot Apr 6th, 2009 06:26 AM

Weekly Movie Review: Star Trek III: The Search For Spock

Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Movie Review: Star Trek III: The Search For Spock.

Hugh Jerection Apr 6th, 2009 08:12 AM

You're spot on about the Kirk moment.
Almost as vital a part of Trek mythos as the Khhhhaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn scene. :)

nilus Apr 6th, 2009 09:19 AM

Plus you forget Christopher Loyd running on full blown overacting mode. "Give me Genesis!" This movie is bad but most of the Klingon related scenes are fun.

Icculus Apr 6th, 2009 10:01 AM

Why doesn't anyone make cool movie posters anymore?

rizzo Apr 6th, 2009 10:41 AM

I like this movie...then again I mostly like the Trek movies that everyone hates, and the only one that I like along with everyone else is II.

berrypievision Apr 6th, 2009 03:26 PM

This movie sucks? Seriously? It isn't the best, but it's alright if you ask me. That was the general perception, it was good but not great. And I think it was PG.

berrypievision Apr 6th, 2009 03:31 PM

Review Star Trek IV.

Doctor_Who Apr 6th, 2009 03:38 PM

I don't hate this one, but that's because it is so unmemorable. Other than the "Klingon Bastards" line and super-hammy Christopher Lloyd, there's simply nothing notable about it. It doesn't straight up suck like 1 or 5, and it certainly doesn't rule like 2 or 4. It's just there.

berrypievision Apr 6th, 2009 03:41 PM

Yeah, its mostly just filler in between 2 and 4.

Output Apr 6th, 2009 03:43 PM

I like the part where Kirk kicks Christopher Lloyd off the cliff..."I've had (kick) just about (kick) enough (kick) of you."(kick), or something like that.

stonewar Apr 6th, 2009 04:54 PM

this one probably started the 'only even numbered treks are good' truism.

Pentegarn Apr 6th, 2009 07:30 PM

Yeah, hammy Christopher Lloyd was a sight to behold

mburbank Apr 6th, 2009 09:21 PM

I should have mentioned Lloyd. I do love a good over the top performance

Nick Apr 6th, 2009 10:58 PM

I'd still watch it over the remake.

whitney Apr 6th, 2009 11:16 PM

What are you talking about????????????????????

whitney Apr 6th, 2009 11:20 PM

:lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by whitney (Post 623595)
What are you talking about????????????????????

:confused::confused::confused::lol:lol:lol:confuse d::suicide:maul:goth:die:imock:hangman:hourglass:a ok

mbkerr Apr 7th, 2009 09:25 AM

Afraid I'll have to disagree with you as well. Even with the faulty logic of the even/odd situation, 3 is the best of the worst. Perhaps the worst thing you really could say about it is that it can't stand on its own, since it picks up where Star Trek II left off, and serves as a transition to the more light-hearted Star Trek IV. In that "trilogy," it is the weakest one, but not unenjoyable. First time we saw the kick-ass Klingon Bird-of-Prey, first time the other main crew got to do something other than take orders, and overall, an enjoyable film.

Alcibiades Apr 8th, 2009 07:50 AM

I wasn't very big on III but it wasn't all that awful, just kind of... filler.

I may not be the best person to talk to about the movies though, I always disliked IV and kind of liked V. Mostly because IV was all about Saving the Whales which made me gag while V was kind of like an extended bad campy episode of the old TV series.

KanyonKreist Apr 8th, 2009 09:49 AM

GIIIVE MEEE GENESISSS!!

Krythor Apr 8th, 2009 07:19 PM

IV was the one where they saved the whales? And that's one of the POPULAR ones? Hoo boy. It could easily have been the Mork and Mindy movie with some of those jokes about how the advanced man survives in the 1980s man's world.

berrypievision Apr 9th, 2009 01:26 PM

Star Trek IV is a parody of the things it encompasses, and that's why it was popular, and a good film. It's not meant to be taken seriously. Unlike the first one, which tries to take itself too seriously, or that fifth one, which is fucking bonkers. But then again, I'm more of a Next Generation guy myself.

Krythor Apr 10th, 2009 06:41 PM

That's also why it's so bad. It's a parody of itself, which is an okay enough concept for an episode but not for a movie. We might as well have a movie equivalent of those episodes where someone gets trapped in the hologram set to THE NAPOLEONIC WARS or THE BEUBONIC PLAGUE. I was even willing to accept it when I thought it was the sixth in the series, but the fourth? So much for it being a universe of endless possibilities; it's only the fourth movie in the series and the writers decide science fiction fans want to see a movie about the 80's.

pezjohnson Apr 12th, 2009 04:36 AM

3 Things to love about this movie:

The aforementioned Kirk Lear moment
The whole crew (except for Spock) goes rogue to rescue a friend.
THEY BLOW UP THE ENTERPRISE TO GET AWAY! Back in the day this was like Optimus Prime dying, or Duke going into a coma because of the bad reaction of Optimus Prime dying, or Spock dying.

Seriously, this movie is like Empire Strikes Back. Only there's no hands getting chopped off (unless you count David's death), and there's no finding out the bad guy is your father. But it's the entire ending where "oh yeah, there's going to be another coming." The three of them (II, III, IV) rule as a whole, like the Back to the Future movies. On top of that, David's death helps fuel the plot for VI.

mburbank Apr 12th, 2009 01:19 PM

I forgot this was the first movie where they destroyed the Enterprise! It seems like they did it almost every movie thereafter.

Colonel Flagg Apr 13th, 2009 10:33 PM

I can't remember the exact dialogue between Shat and Iggy, but my rifftrax moment went something like this:

Shat: In case you hadn't noticed, the planet is destroying itself!

Iggy: Yes! Exhilirating, isn't it?