I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   SCARY GAMES! (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69697924)

Emu Oct 10th, 2007 12:25 PM

SCARY GAMES!

When I was a kid I distinctly recall being driven-to-tears horrified by several games on the NES. I don't know what it was; perhaps the surreal, obscured way in which certain things were rendered with all the might of 8 bits. In particular, Sunsoft games seem to have been the scariest, specifically Blaster Master and Gremlins 2: The New Batch. Especially in Blaster Master where you fight your frog only he's mutated into a giant purple abomination with three eyes.

WHAT GAMES SCARED YOU?

Supafly345 Oct 10th, 2007 02:21 PM

On the NES? I dunno, Ring King was pretty scary.

Chojin Oct 10th, 2007 02:23 PM

I was terrified of this one karate game :<

on the atari x800 i was mortified of B.C.'s Quest For Tires

mew barios Oct 10th, 2007 04:40 PM

shadowgate. also the first time i played castlevania was in the middle of the night and the doll sprouting a medusa head freaked me out.

i had nightmares about vanguard on the 2600 :o

DeadKennedys Oct 10th, 2007 05:49 PM

Out of this World (and some 3D collect Nessy's eggs game I played at an aquarium) is why I have an intense and irrational fear of the ocean and deep swimming pools.

Anyone remember Hugo's House of Horrors? Scary shit when you're 3.

Zomboid Oct 10th, 2007 06:42 PM

Splatterhouse 3 when I was a wee lad.

Supafly345 Oct 10th, 2007 08:40 PM

Oh yeah, if we are going to delve into post NES then yeah, Ecco has always bothered me. The deeper that dolphin swam the harder it was to play.

Uncle_Sham Oct 10th, 2007 09:56 PM

Wolfenstein for PC, the sounds were creepy as fuck.

MLE Oct 10th, 2007 10:15 PM

don't let chojin fool you. he still won't play the original resident evil alone in the dark.

Edit: the game I was the most scared of when I was a kid was when I was playing one Hugo game and I was captured by the witch doctor and I couldn't get out. Like, for months. That scared me and every time I booted it up I was like :< and turned it off again.

That witch doctor scared the shit out of me with how fast he could move.

Guitar Woman Oct 10th, 2007 11:59 PM

Ecco the Dolphin is some scary shit.

OoT was the first game to ever scare me to the point where I would not play it at night. Wallmasters were one of the worst offenders. :<

Mario 64's chomp piano was pretty freaky shit, too.

Guitar Woman Oct 11th, 2007 12:10 AM

Also, I forgot FF7. I would be on the point of wetting myself whenever I'd come back from doing something and find that Sephiroth had mercilessly slaughtered everyone in the area and then the stupid fucks decided to go LOOK FOR HIM. Don't even get me started on the headless Jenova in the Shrina Building, either. :[

Schimid Oct 11th, 2007 02:24 AM

Out of This World is still pretty freaky to me, too.

There's a game out there called Time Traveler that I'm still a little shaky about. It was an action game sort of like Dragon's Lair, only with fake holographs and real people. Not only were there moments of intense pressure, but when you'd make the wrong move, a giant, skeletal cowboy head would appear and chatter it's teeth at you before showing you your usually gruesome demise.

One death had a tomahawk going through your players head, in another a rather large woman broke all of your bones, etc.

ItalianStereotype Oct 11th, 2007 02:44 AM

Uninvited was terrifying when I was a kid ;<

that ghost lady is still pretty creepy if you don't know what to expect!

Guitar Woman Oct 12th, 2007 06:53 AM

Supafly345 Oct 14th, 2007 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schimid (Post 506688)
There's a game out there called Time Traveler that I'm still a little shaky about. It was an action game sort of like Dragon's Lair, only with fake holographs and real people. Not only were there moments of intense pressure, but when you'd make the wrong move, a giant, skeletal cowboy head would appear and chatter it's teeth at you before showing you your usually gruesome demise.

One death had a tomahawk going through your players head, in another a rather large woman broke all of your bones, etc.

Holy crap was that game hard to find. I remember always wanting to play it baad just because it didn't have a monitor and the characters looked like they were floating in the middle of the little cube thing. SO COOL.

DeadKennedys Oct 14th, 2007 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitar Woman (Post 506667)
OoT was the first game to ever scare me to the point where I would not play it at night. Wallmasters were one of the worst offenders. :<

I was ready for the wallmasters, but in M'sM the transformation scenes really got me the first couple of times.

DuFresne Oct 14th, 2007 07:19 PM

Mario 64: The picture of Peach that turns into Bowser, and the Endless Stairway. I think I had nighmares of the latter. Freaky shit. :chatter

I couldn't play Doom with the sound on until I was well into high school. I'd just turn on the local pop station. Demons are allergic to Hanson.

HickMan Oct 14th, 2007 09:39 PM

All I remember from Ecco is those freaky alien things in the water that moved super fast. Those scared me :(.

Also, when I was playing Diablo for the first time at my cousin's house and the Butcher came out of nowhere and said 'MMM FRESH MEAT.'

DuFresne Oct 14th, 2007 10:27 PM

Oh, and pretty much any game or section of a game with infinitely respawning enemies. That's why the original Turok always got to me. :(

Guitar Woman Oct 16th, 2007 05:39 AM

I remember playing the hell out of the Thief demos as a kid, and they always scared the piss out of me. I recently torrented the first and second games and it's a good thing I was never able to play the later levels back then. :<

Girl Drink Drunk Oct 23rd, 2007 12:17 AM

That loud screeching sound that Lavos made in Chrono Trigger (amongst the dead silence) creeped the fuck out of me (at least as far as early creepy video game moments go). That and Scorpion's Fatality in Mortal Kombat, due to being scared to death of skeletons back in the day.

EisigerBiskuit Oct 23rd, 2007 01:58 PM

Police Quest, Doom, Zelda II Siezures, and drowning in Sonic gave me night terrors.

Chojin Oct 23rd, 2007 04:22 PM

Main Entry: night ter·rors
Pronunciation: -'ter-&rz
Function: noun plural
: a sudden awakening in dazed terror that occurs in children during slow-wave sleep, is often preceded by a sudden shrill cry uttered in sleep, and is not remembered when the child awakes called also pavor nocturnus

EisigerBiskuit Oct 23rd, 2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

ter-&rz
Night tururs.

DuFresne Oct 23rd, 2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EisigerBiskuit (Post 508277)
drowning in Sonic

Oh totally agreed! The music when the countdown runs had to have been composed by Satan himself.

Girl Drink Drunk Oct 24th, 2007 07:32 PM

Dont forget the spedup music in the Super Mario games when the timer is running low.

EisigerBiskuit Oct 25th, 2007 07:37 PM

Mario 64 piano

zeldasbiggestfan Oct 26th, 2007 12:36 AM

That thing scared me but Akugi the heartless and SoulReaver creeped me out when I was about 7 or 8.

Mintrude Oct 27th, 2007 08:02 AM

I remember playing Silent Hill 3, and in the bit in the room full of dummies, I was expecting some freaky shit to go down, because "The Dummies are coming to life!!! OMG!" is a classic horror cliche. After several minutes of nothing happening, I let my guard down, and of course a dummy fell of the shelf and screamed. I completely wasn't expecting it, and almost sprained my wrist diving over to the PS2 to trun it off.

Emu Oct 28th, 2007 05:08 PM

Oh and the Tengen game Toobin' scared the ass out of me because after you play for a while you end up getting sucked into other dimensions and shit by whirlpools.

Bluddy Nov 26th, 2007 11:58 PM

I think there was just something about the NES and its time era that was just scary... But, if I had to choose what scared the crap out of me the most:

1.) LoZ: Link to the Past, the beginning when you wake up and its all rainy and ominous.. then your dad or whatever is half dead down the well, all like Link you can DO IT!

2.) Shadowgate and Uninvited as already mentioned, just about every part is sketchy.

3.) FF2 SNES: When Edge has to fight his mutated messed up parents and its all sad and creepy...

Goddamn games! Now we're all haunted.

Lastpatriot Dec 18th, 2007 03:33 PM

In Wizards and Warriors for the NES, the boss fight music was always a little scary to me.

Plus the end boss, where the wizard guy just flits all around the room, HE WAS EVERYWHERE!1

executioneer Dec 18th, 2007 04:08 PM

I remember being terrified of Dragon's Lair when I was a kid (because of the whole turning into a skeleton when you die thing), and Hunt the Wumpus on the old TI/99 was terrifying because if you made a wrong move it would jump to a screen of a pair of jaws closing on you to the tune of the Death March :eek

I was pretty easy to scare back then though, since reading Cave of Time was enough to make me avoid the library altogether for a year or two :(

Cfr5 Dec 18th, 2007 04:40 PM

The bat in Hunt the Wumpus is the most bastard creature ever conceived. It usually dropped me into the slime pits.

executioneer Dec 18th, 2007 04:48 PM

oh, definitely. And you never knew when you were gonna wake one up, so going past them was always nerve wracking.

Guitar Woman Dec 18th, 2007 05:09 PM

Earthbound Zero is terrifying ;(

Rongi Dec 18th, 2007 07:24 PM

I dont know why, but Ecco the Dolphin for Sega used to creep me out and depress me at the same time. Especially the sound it made when you hit a jelly fish

I couldnt play through the school level in the first Silent Hill. It was too scary :(

There was this beginning animation of Ryu standing in the dark and punching at the screen in one of the versions of SF2. I remember it scared me so much i couldnt even look at the screen :(

Girl Drink Drunk Dec 19th, 2007 12:17 AM

The sewers in Silent Hill still scare me :(

RaNkeri Dec 19th, 2007 12:47 AM

The whole god damn mansion in Resident Evil
The whole god damn city in Resident Evil 2 & 3
The Hospital and Elementary school areas in Silent Hill

Zomboid Dec 19th, 2007 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rongi (Post 514979)
I dont know why, but Ecco the Dolphin for Sega used to creep me out and depress me at the same time. Especially the sound it made when you hit a jelly fish

I couldnt play through the school level in the first Silent Hill. It was too scary :(

There was this beginning animation of Ryu standing in the dark and punching at the screen in one of the versions of SF2. I remember it scared me so much i couldnt even look at the screen :(

:lol you're such a wuss rongi:lol

I was pretty creeped out by splatterhouse 3 the first time I played it. I was like 8 and I'd rented it right after a hockey tournament so I was so pumped to play it and when some of the creepy parts started to happen I was a bit scared. I remember playing through it but both enjoying and being scared out by some of the stuff.

Rongi Dec 19th, 2007 01:55 PM

i really am. when my sister showed me the thriller music video when i was 3 i started crying because michael jackson's cat eyes horrified me

Emu Dec 19th, 2007 03:51 PM

that's a legitimate fear :\

Guitar Woman Dec 23rd, 2007 01:39 AM

I just downloaded a Half Life mod called "Afraid of Monsters."

If you wanna shit yourself, that's the game to do it with.

The level design's a little shitty, though, so make sure you're ok with wandering around dark hallways for extended periods and seeing the message "HMM, THE LOCK SEEMS TO BE JAMMED. IT'S NOT GOING TO OPEN" repeated to infinity.

Esuohlim Dec 23rd, 2007 01:53 AM

While playing Ocarina of Time and after reading on GameFAQs about how most of the pussies there were terrified of the dungeon under the well, I expected some hardcore scary shit. I was disappointed.

Although while I was in the well I hit a dead end, and when I turned around a goddamned skull spider was hanging there taking up my entire TV screen. It startled the shit out of me. :(

I had nightmares about the coin ship from Super Mario 3. :( :(

Guitar Woman Dec 23rd, 2007 02:03 AM

the ReDeads are the most horrifying thing ever when you're eight years old ;<

Especially if you can't mash buttons fast enough to get them off you and letting one grab you means instant death ;<

I actually don't think I've ever had the nuts to explore past the first floor of the well, but I'm sure I could handle it nowadays.

Emu Dec 23rd, 2007 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitar Woman (Post 515722)

The level design's a little shitty, though, so make sure you're ok with wandering around dark hallways for extended periods and seeing the message "HMM, THE LOCK SEEMS TO BE JAMMED. IT'S NOT GOING TO OPEN" repeated to infinity.

so what, it rips off of silent hill?

executioneer Dec 23rd, 2007 02:17 AM

ps http://tatsusoft.diregames.net:8081/wumpus.html has a (basically) 100% replica of the ti wumpus game for fans of not wanting to bother with emulators

Guitar Woman Dec 23rd, 2007 02:20 AM

No idea, I only saw the movie.

Although it's filled with grimy hospital corridors and zombies with eternally convulsing heads, which the film had a fair amount of.

Also, if you're gonna play it you'll want to open up the console and give yourself infinite flashlight batteries, because there aren't nearly enough pickups for you to be able to go at your own pace.

Guitar Woman Dec 23rd, 2007 02:32 AM

The last one scared the shit out of me when I was in the mental ward by just following me like a lost puppy for a few minutes and not attacking ;<

Guitar Woman Dec 23rd, 2007 03:24 AM

I just got out of the Hospital and the game has become incredibly fantastic. All of you, go download it immediately.

I tweaked my top speed to be a little slower because the HL engine's fast running makes me clumsy and takes away from this mod's experience, and I toned the gravity down a notch so any platforming I run into is way easier.

Once you fix it Half Life's engine really isn't that bad ;<

Guitar Woman Dec 23rd, 2007 08:48 AM

lol, I finished it ;<

There are supposedly four endings, and I'm assuming I got one of the bad ones because it was really abrupt and anti climactic, didn't explain any of the happenings in the game, and spoilers!

You guys know those games where you're having fun but are incredibly frustrated at the same time (see also, Manhunt 2)? Afraid of Monsters is one of those. The lack of visibility in most levels is fucking ridiculous (see previoius screenshots) and completely unnecessary because it doesn't add to the game's atmosphere at all. Plus, the real scares come when you hit segments where the game plunges into scribble hallucinations and incredibly surreal level design not unlike Constantine's mansion in Thief.

I liked it for the short time that it lasted, despite some ridiculous parts where I had to antigravity cheat to be able to kill all the zombies rushing to clusterfuck me while I had no ammo and only an extremely slow melee weapon to defend myself with. So yeah if you guys are looking for a quick and really creepy freebie game and don't mind having to turn your gamma up to ridiculous levels check this out mabye.

Mintrude Dec 23rd, 2007 10:34 AM

When Colonel Campbell goes apeshit in MGS2. I was completely freaked out when his face turned intoa a skull.

Emu Dec 23rd, 2007 11:58 AM

It looks like you're just playing Silent Hill with more guns, GW

ZAKO the GREAT Dec 28th, 2007 06:37 AM

Clock Tower 3 from Capcom for PS2.
full of cheap scares.

there are ghosts that chases you around, and those goddamn stalker (stage boss) that will chase you when the music changes...

it's like when you walking on a dark hallway looking for clues, and suddenly, the bg music changed, then :
"BAMM" the door bangs open and there stands the stalker. and i was like: "WTF?! SHIT! SHIT!! OH MY GOD! SHIIITTT!!!"
and i turn off the console. same goes to my other friends as well.

go look for the game, if you want to shit your pants. seriously.

and, there was this flash game. it's kinda old but if you never heard of it before, try it at least once:
link : THE HOUSE
play it if you dare. (for maximum fun, wear head/earphone, and play it at night.)

EisigerBiskuit Dec 28th, 2007 07:45 AM

Did anyone mention Halfquake yet? It's pretty funny, but some parts get annoyingly creepy.

Girl Drink Drunk Dec 28th, 2007 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZAKO the GREAT (Post 516675)
Clock Tower 3 from Capcom for PS2.
full of cheap scares.

there are ghosts that chases you around, and those goddamn stalker (stage boss) that will chase you when the music changes...

it's like when you walking on a dark hallway looking for clues, and suddenly, the bg music changed, then :
"BAMM" the door bangs open and there stands the stalker. and i was like: "WTF?! SHIT! SHIT!! OH MY GOD! SHIIITTT!!!"
and i turn off the console. same goes to my other friends as well.

go look for the game, if you want to shit your pants. seriously.

I played it all the way through, and for me the scares were bellow that of the first two Resident Evil, aside from being chased and that corpse in the tub. I was extremely let down by this game, and the villians were less than menacing with their thick English accents.

macrodeath Dec 29th, 2007 11:42 AM

hookei

I was about 8 years old when i first got to play Alone in the Dark 1. I was on the edge of the seat all the time, while playing with the female character. At one point, the character was walking down stairs and the camera-angle suddenly changed. I freaked out because of this huge head staring at me from the screen. It took me some time to realize that the head belonged to the character i was playing. It was like the hospital room in Silent Hill 4.

Other game's that scares me, every time i play them are: Fatal Frame 3 (or Project Zero 3 to some). It has this wicked ghost crawling under floor, upside down. She always scares the shit out of me.

Resident Evil 3: First time i played it, the Nemesis scared everybody in the fucking room. But now, seven or some years later, it just doesn't work the way it did.

Forbidden Siren 2: Overall very creepy game, but at the end it has these new monster's, which are made of BIG HEAD and fingers. They are the creepiest shit i have ever seen in any game or movie. :chatter

Jemry Jan 1st, 2008 09:50 AM

I love the Silent Hill games, they're full of good scares as in, not a startle jump out at you holy shit then oh its dead dun worry. They have sounds coming from all fucking angles and mix in the occasional invisible monster and Pyramid Head or two (sorry about that spoiler) and it had my pants full with more shit than a geriatric after eating a ladel of laxatives.

LordMalrog Jan 1st, 2008 04:01 PM

i find this one hard to reply to, because when i was little (that age where you get those memorable scares) i always loved scary games. Not for being scared, but "OH LOOK AT THAT THING!" (Pyrimid head), or "DIE ZOMBIE! HAHA!" i was unfortunetly able to seperate reality from fiction alittle to well at that age. Now i find myself jumping out of my seat while playing games like FEAR and Hidden:Source (for HL2). Hidden makes you paranoid as hell, wondering where and when the Hidden is gonna strike, and it even gives you the chance to hunt down this elite squad as this evil being that takes them down one at a time. OH and majoras mask, wasn't scary but it stressed me out so much....

Jemry Jan 2nd, 2008 01:03 AM

Dude, that moon could not be more horrifying. If there was a movie about the moon going around and killing young teens I'd expect it to look exactly like that.

Spruce Moose Jan 6th, 2008 02:00 PM

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. I'm still pissed there's no sequel.

Mullon Jan 6th, 2008 04:00 PM

It forever to get through Doom 2 thanks to those pinky demons and giant floating heads.
That damn giant eel Super Mario 64 freaked me out.
The first crimson head from Resident Evil was not fun.

Zomboid Jan 6th, 2008 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemry (Post 517920)
Dude, that moon could not be more horrifying. If there was a movie about the moon going around and killing young teens I'd expect it to look exactly like that.

Yeah, as far as giant moons go, they don't get more menacing than that. The fucker even had red eyes. It would just chew right through the death star.

dirtyxblondexdame Jan 6th, 2008 07:59 PM

Resident Evil -- i HATE the noises the zombies make!! Silent HIll had the same effect. i had to play with the sound off *hides*

Girl Drink Drunk Jan 6th, 2008 10:16 PM

That death theme and the second part of level 1 where you are underneath this building and ninjas kept coming out of hidden walls in Revenge of Shinobi.

Rahvi Jan 10th, 2008 12:37 AM

Echo Knight for the playstation, the first part of the game you were being constantly attacked by the ghost of a little girl, it laughed before it appeared and always scared the shit out of me.

Girl Drink Drunk Jan 10th, 2008 11:40 AM

The zombie sound effects were kinda creepy, along with the zombie in the closet. Other than that, the first really wasnt that scary. It was pretty much just a playable B movie.

Sacks Jan 11th, 2008 10:31 PM

D for psx gave me the wibblies.

Fathom Zero Jan 12th, 2008 12:04 AM

The box alone scared me.

Emu Jan 12th, 2008 01:40 AM

I just got D the other day.

It didn't age well. :[ Plus, Wikipedia ruined it for me.

"Thi sis especially significant when you find out that D stands for "

Jemry Jan 13th, 2008 09:03 AM

I remember renting that game and my brother and I got up to the second disc which was buggered. I just ended up looking up what happened in the end because I couldn't be bothered scouring the internet for a working copy.

Speaking of which.... I can never find a copy of the original Silent Hill... its the only one I haven't played yet, not including the demo in MGS.

Sacks Jan 13th, 2008 07:54 PM

Once you play the others before playing the original it's harder to enjoy. :[

Emu Jan 13th, 2008 08:40 PM

Nuh-uh. I played SH 1 last and I found it to be by far the most enjoyable.

umop apisdn Jan 13th, 2008 11:55 PM

I think the first Silent Hill game scared me the most over all. Walking around the city while you couldn't see through the fog. Also that radio static that accompanied any nearby baddie was a nice touch.

Though Blaster Master was pretty creepy as a kid.

Sacks Jan 14th, 2008 12:35 AM

Have you played Silent Hill 2, Umop?

Mintrude Jan 14th, 2008 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emu (Post 522831)
I just got D the other day.

It didn't age well. :[ Plus, Wikipedia ruined it for me.

"Thi sis especially significant when you find out that D stands for "

To be fair, what D stood for was a mistransalation.

umop apisdn Jan 15th, 2008 10:43 AM

Yeah. I did enjoy it. But I kind of new what to expect from the series.

Codiekitty Jan 15th, 2008 11:24 AM

I broke out laughing so hard I spooked the cat when it was revealed what D stood for.

Night Creatures on the TurboGrafx creeped me out so bad the first time I played it I've had a hard time going back to it. Creepy scenery and atmosphere, there's a circle at the bottom of the screen with your character's face showing how much his curse is rotting his flesh (okay, he's supposed to be turning into a monster, but it looks like his flesh is melting) which is what really got me, and when you die, he goes up in a green flame, his skeleton stands for a while, then collapses.

There was also a minigame in this old PC game called 3D Dinosaur Adventure where you had to go through the various time periods and find dinosaurs in a Noah's Ark type thing to save them from the meteor, though for some reason you could only pick up whichever one your guide told you to find. If you didn't collect all the dinosaurs before the meteor struck, it'd hit and you'd be surrounded by fire while your guide was screaming bloody murder. I'd probably find that hilarious now, but I wouldn't play that minigame as a kid for fear of that.

EDIT: Oh man, how did I forget Sweet Home?

Mintrude Jan 15th, 2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codiekitty (Post 523832)

Night Creatures on the TurboGrafx creeped me out so bad the first time I played it I've had a hard time going back to it. Creepy scenery and atmosphere, there's a circle at the bottom of the screen with your character's face showing how much his curse is rotting his flesh (okay, he's supposed to be turning into a monster, but it looks like his flesh is melting) which is what really got me, and when you die, he goes up in a green flame, his skeleton stands for a while, then collapses.

?

I hated it when the characters face would get all messed up as he took damage. Made me play the games better though.

Slick Willy Jan 18th, 2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitar Woman (Post 515722)

damn, i keep downloading afraid of monsters, but then when i try to play it, it won't go; it says it's missing some file. It's pissing me off.
but definitely the butcher in diablo, and blood raven in d2 because you were all pumped to fight the first real enemy... only to get raped by freaking fire arrows.
also, i still cannot will myself to play or even look at carnevil. i played through every house of the dead, but carnevil? UGHHHHH. *SHIVER*

Guitar Woman Jan 18th, 2008 08:55 PM

I forgot how terrifying the Tomb Raider games were for me as a kid :<

Slick Willy Jan 18th, 2008 09:58 PM

another scary game? golden tee for my windows ME. my buddy cale and me were playing that at like two AM. It randomly has little .bmps of golfers and such. Like a guy who looked like Mr. Rogers in fake Nike's taking a leak. And aliens. Plus, when you'd hit some things, they'd make weird noises. We kept hitting these totem poles and hearing chanting. Freaked the hell out of us until we figured out where it was coming from.

Fat_Hippo Jan 20th, 2008 11:41 AM

Land of Lore - Not the game itself, but the picture of that godddamn witch:

When I was 6 she really scared the shit out of me...still kinda does actually...:eek

Dr. Octogonopus Jan 20th, 2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick Willy (Post 525240)
damn, i keep downloading afraid of monsters, but then when i try to play it, it won't go; it says it's missing some file. It's pissing me off.
but definitely the butcher in diablo, and blood raven in d2 because you were all pumped to fight the first real enemy... only to get raped by freaking fire arrows.
also, i still cannot will myself to play or even look at carnevil. i played through every house of the dead, but carnevil? UGHHHHH. *SHIVER*

Yeah, AoM never worked for me either. WHat gives?
I remember CarnEvil. Goddamn, that game was freaky as hell. DX

Asila Jan 20th, 2008 05:41 PM

I'm a big scaredy cat, so half the games I've played freak me out. The one that sticks in my mind as the first game to scare the shit out of me is some old computer game (ugh, I can't remember the name now) where you were in an old museum hunting these old, evil mayan ghosts that lived in various elements, and would pop out of things and suck your life if you didn't have the appropriate container for them... the first one is automatic, and scared the ever-loving shit out of me, and then immediately after that I stumbled on the curator who had been sucked dry, and was basically mummified, and I shut the game off for two months, seriously.
Recently, Eternal Darkness was scary and awesome, especially when my head randomly exploded, and Silent Hill 2 I could only play with other people around AND drunk.

argonath Jan 21st, 2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asila (Post 525799)
...and Silent Hill 2 I could only play with other people around AND drunk.

Going waaay down into that tunnel towards the end, and rounding corners to see Pyramid Head was freaky. I don't know which was worse: playing the game not knowing when he was going to pop up, or knowing he was actively searching for you.

The Mighty Pinto Jan 21st, 2008 01:29 PM

All the Silent Hill games were deliciously creepy in their own way, but 2 was only creepy for me BECAUSE of pyramid head. If he wasn't in there, then the game would be somewhat tame. The FIRST one, however, made me shit enough bricks to build a one-story with a two-car garage...AND still have enough left over to make an outdoor barbecue pit.

Asila Jan 21st, 2008 06:54 PM

What got me in Silent Hill 2 was
Spoilers!

Guitar Woman Jan 21st, 2008 07:39 PM

I'm almost done torrenting Silent Hill 2.

I expect to shit my pants, I'll let you guys know how that goes.

schadenfreude Jan 21st, 2008 10:26 PM

Up until now I held the original Silent Hill as the creepiest game ever. Even if the sequels were way above it technologically, the atmosphere in the first one was simply unrivaled... Then, not long ago, I played Condemned: Criminal Origins. Boy, I haven't been so genuinely, viscerally scared in a long, LONG time. This game had me actually afraid of exploring certain areas. I would end every night in a state of tension that probably made me age about ten years per week.

Awesome game.

By the way, sorry about that double posting down there :T

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitar Woman (Post 515731)
Afraid of Monsters: Director's Cut

Also, if you're gonna play it you'll want to open up the console and give yourself infinite flashlight batteries, because there aren't nearly enough pickups for you to be able to go at your own pace.

Would you kindly share the console command to do so? I'm playing right now and I have that very same problem --It's hurting badly :(

And if you know a command to increase the ammunition for the gun, that would be awesome too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asila (Post 526129)
What got me in Silent Hill 2 was
Spoilers!

:squigly BOO! :squigly

Asila Jan 22nd, 2008 10:13 AM

AAAIIIEEEE!
Okay seriously, that bastard is horrifying.

Guitar Woman Jan 22nd, 2008 02:59 PM

I really dig this game, guys.

Although it's made less scary by the fact that outside I can just run past all the monsters and have them never catch me, and that I can kill them without getting hurt pretty much every time.

Emu Jan 22nd, 2008 06:25 PM

Just wait til Pyramid Head is after you.

MarioRPG Jan 22nd, 2008 06:34 PM

Amen to that. I remember my friend playing it and I was scared.

Dr. Octogonopus Jan 22nd, 2008 07:43 PM

Pyramid head was freaky as hell, but at the same time made it kind of awkward. Especially in (three? i forget, it's been forever) you see him humping, or at least it looks like he's humping, a corpse, and it kinda killed the 'oh god he's going to kill me' mood.

Girl Drink Drunk Jan 22nd, 2008 07:46 PM

It was 2, and it was a manniquin.

Emu Jan 22nd, 2008 07:46 PM

PH is only in the second silent hill.

The_Vampire_Zio Jan 22nd, 2008 11:17 PM

A scary video game eh? X-Com: Terror from the deep when it was released for computers back in the day, I hated swimming in water and playing it in the dark with those evil aliens out to get me around every corner kept me up late at night.

Dr. Octogonopus Jan 22nd, 2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Girl Drink Drunk (Post 526494)
It was 2, and it was a manniquin.

Really? I don't know if that makes it any worse, considering it's silent hill, and it's still ruining the mood.

Guitar Woman Jan 22nd, 2008 11:38 PM

The leg monster rape scene wasn't nearly as disturbing or awesome as I envisioned it. >:

It might have been a glitch in the PC version but before James shoots at him from the closet Pyramid Head starts waving his arms around for absolutely no reason, and it made me lol :<