I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Science! (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69702483)

MattJack Jun 21st, 2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esuohlim (Post 634671)

Dimnos Jun 21st, 2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahljorn (Post 634724)
a pretentious thread about a man verbally berating a 16 year old girl? How deliciously absurd!

I said it first :rolleyes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimnos (Post 633982)
A pretentious thread about a man verbally berating a woman? How deliciously absurd!

Dixie Jun 21st, 2009 02:00 PM

i threw up a little today
IT'S NOT A FUCKING TUMOR AND I'M NOT FUCKING PREGNANT

Zomboid Jun 21st, 2009 02:20 PM

Some of you really need to learn what a comma splice is and why it's a good idea to avoid them.

kahljorn Jun 21st, 2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

I said it first :rolleyes:
YOU WIN!!! Your prize? this post!

kahljorn Jun 21st, 2009 03:31 PM

i had the shits today because i ate at dennys last night. I hate eating out. Stupid 25 dollar shit machine. my girlfriend puked ;\

Tadao Jun 21st, 2009 04:00 PM

Col. Flagg, hows do you and your bretheren feel about Michael Creighton?

Colonel Flagg Jun 24th, 2009 10:16 PM

Do you mean the Jurassic Park guy, Michael Crichton? He died of cancer, is that what you mean? Or are you asking my opinion on whether or not it's possible to clone dinosaurs from fossilized DNA?

Sorry I'm late to this particular party, but I've been on vacation - very healthy, at least for me! :)

EDIT: Is it possible you're talking about the novel "State of Fear" where he tries to debunk global warming as "pseudo science" ? If so, then I'd have to respectfully disagree with his point of view. And I'd be more than happy to debate this point at length when I get back from the beach! Is it hot out here, or is it just me? :)

Tadao Jun 24th, 2009 10:29 PM

:lol, I mean all of him. Where he pretends to know about science and presents it in a way that the average reader blieves it as truth.

Tadao Jun 28th, 2009 05:56 PM

Both Science and Health!

Two living things can die at the exact same time, even if you divide the numbers by infinity right? The is not an impossible, just an improbable. I'm just talking about earth, throw in the universe and the odds are actually pretty good.

maybe

Colonel Flagg Jun 28th, 2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadao (Post 635697)
Two living things can die at the exact same time, even if you divide the numbers by infinity right?

Throw in Billy Mays, and that becomes rather spooky. :hypno

kahljorn Jun 30th, 2009 06:38 AM

Quote:

Two living things can die at the exact same time, even if you divide the numbers by infinity right? The is not an impossible, just an improbable. I'm just talking about earth, throw in the universe and the odds are actually pretty good.
Only if you presume that time exists in the first place :O and is also concrete...

Supafly345 Jul 4th, 2009 09:30 PM

What is the quotient of death and infinity btw. Assuming that time is a constant of course.

Colonel Flagg Jul 4th, 2009 09:45 PM

Death/Infinity = Truth

Fathom Zero Jul 5th, 2009 02:31 PM

He (Crichton) has an afterward in some of his books where he states that his point was not to change the reader's point of view, but for them to question it. Like, if your convictions were swayed somehow by what was in this book, then you should probably do more research before believing something wholeheartedly. That you shouldn't just automatically believe the guy with the loudest bullhorn.

That said, State of Fear ain't my favorite. I like his more-social commentaries, like Disclosure, (my favorite book), and Airframe.

Colonel Flagg Jul 21st, 2009 03:53 AM

Sorry for bumping this old chestnut, but I thought this was pretty good.

(I would. :()

EDIT: 10K beat me to this nearly a year ago. Sorry for the repost and the bump :tear

Tadao Jul 21st, 2009 02:37 PM

Scientific and healthy for the mind.

http://www.moillusions.com/

Tadao Jul 21st, 2009 02:43 PM

The explanation of the image should go something like this: “Vestibular Correction keeps the image on your visual cortex steady even though your eyes are moving around wildly. But the vestibular correction system has its limits. What you see below is an animated GIF image which flips every five seconds. First look at the upside down image. Both faces look normal, but when they flip you will see how weird one of the faces really is. We have no trouble recognizing the person, but since we recognize facial features with a whole other part of the brain, the vestibular thing got garbled in part”.

The Leader Jul 21st, 2009 03:40 PM

Well, I've learned something today.

Tadao Jul 21st, 2009 03:43 PM

Colonel Flagg Jul 21st, 2009 08:43 PM

THAT!

WAS!

AWESOME!

:lol

10,000 Volt Ghost Jul 25th, 2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg (Post 638432)
Sorry for bumping this old chestnut, but I thought this was pretty good.

(I would. :()

EDIT: 10K beat me to this nearly a year ago. Sorry for the repost and the bump :tear

Edit: I forgot about that.

and that moonwalking bear is awesome.

Also has anyone tried spinal decompression therapy? I was considering it.

Colonel Flagg Aug 3rd, 2009 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost (Post 639012)
Also has anyone tried spinal decompression therapy? I was considering it.

No, but right now it would do me pretty damned well, I'm thinkin' ...

I ran into this on the "Nerd Network" ....

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2009AIPC.1103..317S

It's a fascinating idea, if it's not just a bunch of hooey. All I've seen are a few abstracts on the subject, though Dr. Solomon has written a book (don't they all?) that claims to provide details on the theory.

Embarrassingly, all I can think of when reading the technical parts is "Paging Dr. Weir - Dr. Weir to the Gravity Drive" :eek

Aimless Aug 4th, 2009 12:19 AM

I do jack all because I have a tear in my spine that's pushing on the nerve... ahhh sciatica, makes me walk like an old lady and scream like i have turrets.

Tadao Aug 4th, 2009 04:37 AM

Wimp